Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

HairyManling posted:

This. And also the blue shell doesn't play fair. I've had it target me when I'm in fourth or fifth place. I don't mean that it hits me on its way to the first place racer, but specifically does the orbit animation and blasts me while I'm already trailing the leaders.

Were you in first at all relatively recently? The shell targets whoever's in the lead at the time it was thrown, so you may have changed places in the time it took to get to you. Failing that it might be lag if you're online and if you weren't then I dunno man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

The gameplay in the Dead Space series seems to rely on the fact that the player should be panicking and burning through his ammo needlessly. So why is it that enemies tend to pop out of grates on the other end of long corridors? They give you way too much time to react and line your shots up nicely.

Really, it's hard to stay frightened when every single enemy just roars and charges at you head on. Maybe they should've introduced a monster that stalks you from the shadows and strikes when you least expect it.

Well the first time you encounter those raptors that show up in 2 it's a pretty 'oh gently caress oh fuuuuuck' situation, like you get lost in this maze where they peak around corners and over the top and generally try to get behind or to your side before attacking, like the 'clever girl' from Jurassic Park on turbo alien zombie steroids. Thing is you quickly learn they only show up in those maze like places and you can easily bait them into attacking head on (which is just a roar and charge like everyone else) by just parking your rear end in a corner and waiting, maybe move forward a few feet to spawn the next group.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Aug 21, 2014

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

F.E.A.R.: there's a section scripted of enemy chatter between Norton Mapes and a bunch of ATC goons late in the game that I can never, ever hear in its entirety because the goons in question hear me and interrupt it as soon as it triggers. Annoying.

Kind of, sort of, similar complaint for Destiny, where there are sections where two enemy factions will be duking it out with each other which is great, except that they aggro on you way too easily. I can be crouched 50m away, not shooting or doing anything and the enemies will totally ignore the dudes standing a foot away to take potshots at me.

I just want to watch alien space marines fight robots ok :smith:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

I really never though Ashley was a space racist, though there's some lovely writing with the dog comparaison. I don't see a problem in a soldier objecting when a space somali warlord, a foreign ship technician, a guy we were at war with ten years ago and the daughter of a major politician are being allowed to poke around a top secret cutting edge warship :shrug:

In the dog comparison she was saying that humans/humanity was the dogs. She was saying that in a pinch, a nation/government/civilization will look after its own ahead of other groups. Cynical yes, but not racially motivated. Challenging this belief is a big part of the series, especially ME3 where, oops, Ashley was right and everyone just hunkers down and tries to protect their own interests, but you/Shepard have to get them to look at the big picture and unite inclusively.

The real racist line was the first time you go to the citadel and she can't tell the sentient aliens apart from the animals.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I vaguely remember that bit resolving in such a way that I got the feeling the whole thing was pointless. Like whatever Batman went down there for turned out to not be there, or Croc destroyed it or something. I can't remember what but something happened at the end of that bit that really rubbed in how annoying it was to me.

Batman got what he needed fine. What you might be thinking of is as he entered, Batman put down a large amount of explosive gel on the floor. As he was leaving Croc started chasing him and Bats blew up the floor causing Croc to fall through.

Some people like it as showing how Batman always thinks ahead, but maybe you didn't like it because why wouldn't Batman just lure Croc over it right from the start, so that he can get the thingy in peace?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't understand destiny, tons of people play it and the things I see of the gameplay make it look like something I'd enjoy (if it were on PC) because I like borderlands and such. But I have literally never heard anyone say anything good about it above "it's decent I guess." Are there really that many people that play it and still think it's just sort of mediocre?

The actual shootman FPS mechanics of it is really good, and Bungie's got the "30 seconds of fun" loop down pat, so the actual moment-to-moment gameplay is stellar and engaging. Problem is they slathered passable rpg mechanics and terrible mmo mechanics on top, turning it into a grindfest, while also removing a lot of the higher concept things you expect out of shooters or that Bungie made their name on, like custom lobbies, CTF or other objective gamemodes, forge, firefight, and so on.

Basically if you like the shooting (I do) and have a weak will and get hooked on the terrible 'must make numbers go up!' loop (I did) you will enjoy Destiny (I do), even if you complain all the goddamn time (I do). If running the same few missions over and over so you can level your rep so you can buy better armour so you can run the same content in order to level your armour so that you can run the raid over and over in order to get better gear so that you can do the same bounties again and again leveling that gear in order to better run the raid doesn't appeal to you, then you won't.

I will say that I tried playing the BL pre-sequel and couldn't get into it after playing Destiny. The movement and shooting were just so janky in comparison. Destiny's gotta have some of the smoothest FPS gameplay around, IMO.

edit: basically it's a very good FPS held back by very bad MMORPG (although that goes without saying, all MMOs are bad), and it can't really decide which of the two it'd rather be, to the detriment of both I think.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

And in Bloodborne, the first area is a town. You're walking on the street, going in houses, etc...Eventually, you take an elevator down, beneath the town, and...there's sky everywhere when you look up. Everywhere. Even when you look directly back to where you came from, it's a single building with nothing around from where you came from above.

What area are you talking about? I don't remember anything like that..

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I was mis-remembering. It's not an elevator, but a lot of stairs and a ladder that go from the Cathedral Ward to Old Yarnham:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uTsulwn1_U

Start around 24 minutes...he's in the Cathedral Ward, then he goes down a bunch of stairs, is in the basement of the Tomb, and eventually exits the tomb and is outside with sky above him.

He doesn't turn around all the way, but I certainly have, and there is no indication of the area you just came from is anywhere above you like it should be.

Ah ok, it's like, there's central yharnam, the area you start in and that's up on a cliff. Then there's some bridges that connect it to the cathedral ward/grand cathedral section, which is also up high, and a ravine/lowered area is between them. Old yharnam is on the bottom of that low area, in between the other two, but not directly beneath them/underground.

Blood-stained beast's church is actually visible underneath Cleric Beast's bridge if you know where you're looking.

I'll concede that it might not match perfectly. I think it probably does but there are certainly vistas that don't seem quite right distance-wise to me, so I'm willing to admit there's some odd stuff going on but no, old yharnam is not supposed to be underground, it's open air and visible from above.

edit: I think the area that sort of confuses me is how forbidden forest has a passage back to Iosefka's clinic in central yharnam. I guess I can sort of see how that'd work but I dunno.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 08:19 on Apr 8, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I genuinely liked the first one, but the second one had a ton of problems that added up to it being just unfun, so I haven't bought anything borderlands related since.

Destiny has great shooting, but the RPG elements kind of suck, the world is incredibly lifeless and they decided to do the whole Wildstaresque "no casuals" thing with the raids, which I've been told are the only content that's actually interesting.

Out of all the "Diablo, but with guns" games I've played I think I enjoyed Hellgate: London the most. The game was kind of a disaster though with all the bugs, balance issues and negative PR. The core game play was fun though, and the loot was great. I don't think anyone would blink at their lovely pricing structure if the game came out today.

Yeah I like Destiny overall a lot but if there's one thing I hope the industry takes from it it's that you can do more complex raid-like mechanics in shooters and ideally someone will do that but divorce it from terrible grindy rpg artificial barriers.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Ashley's racism was a little inconsistent and weird even before her characterization apparently poo poo the bed in 3. One of her properly strong character moments in 1 was that she'd give the Terra Firma protesters an earful because I guess their racism is even more blind than hers. Her space-racism is far more in line with Cerberus (the 'I'm not racist, I just don't trust them' type of racism), and yet she's still fervently against them just because.

Yeah most of Ashley's objections to aliens in the first game were more in line with 'aliens as standins for human nations' kind of deal. Like she doesn't like turians because they had a war against humans in living memory, one that discredited her grandfather, and relationships between humans and turians are still frosty, but she's not all "go eat some some seed birdman". Really more political than racial. Not right, but less wrong.

except when she makes a comment about not being able to tell aliens apart from animals...

then in ME2 and on it's all, yep, fully racist.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Tiggum posted:

That or the opposite. Some people would make themselves look monstrous instead.

But enough about your mom.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Batman clipped through a tree during a cutscene and then got stuck in it and I had to restart :(

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Ignore Zaphod, he says correct things stupidly. Micolash is a boss who is pretty easy to fight, but makes you chase him multiple times through a big rear end maze, and the entire time he will NOT SHUT UP

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm torn if I like the Medics they added in Arkham Knight (they revive people you've knocked out) because while it adds a layer of difficulty it is annoying to try to take them out first (otherwise they will keep reviving dudes) because in the heat of the moment locking onto them is quite annoying. I can't imagine how much this would suck in higher difficulty levels.

Also they can put an electric shield on dudes that you have to grapple slam to get rid of or it shocks you when you try to punch them.

That's much worse, I think, than picking dudes back up because then you get to knock them out again for more points :shepface:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

Didn't Jacob also loop around to daddy issues or is my memory playing tricks on me? :psyduck:

Yes, but also, no.

Jacob didn't have a good relationship with his dad because his dad was always away for work (space trucker pilot or something). Eventually his dad disappeared on an exploration to some new planet. This was years ago and Jacob had come to terms with the loss.

Then you find out where his dad's ship had crash landed and go to check it out, where it turned out that the survivors had eaten some of the planet's native foods which made them all stupid and susceptible to uh, being told what to do. Jacob's dad kept the ship's rations for himself, and used the defense droids on the ship to kill/exile all the other men and keep the mind controlled women as sex slaves. Yeah.

Anyway Jacob sees this and is like, what the loving hell dad. You get the option to kill the dude yourself, let Jacob kill him or take him into custody. Afterwards, Jacob's like, "drat I was ok with my dad being dead. Like he wasn't the best father but I thought he was a good man and had come to terms with that, but finding out he's a horrible rapist monster is really loving with my world view, I need some time to think". Probably a pretty reasonable reaction to have?

Then he doesn't really say much for the rest of the game.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Oct 24, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

You can romance him and he dumps you between games, I believe he is the only romancable crew member to do this.

Yes. Although Thane dies like, right away. Until the Citadel DLC, where he comes back as a ghost.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Many of Ashley's objections to aliens were more along the lines of the Star Trek 'aliens-as-metaphors-for-nations' type deal. Like, hey this is a super advanced top secret military warship, do we really want the violent mercenary warlord aboard? or the dude whose race/nation we were literally at war with a few years ago and tensions are still high?* and so on. Like an American and a Russian teaming up during the Cold War- it could happen, but there'd be a lot of distrust and that distrust isn't because of racism.

... then she goes on to spew poo poo out like "can't tell the aliens apart from the animals" :sigh:

*ignoring that the turians helped build the normandy

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Death Zebra posted:

And needs to be expanded by spending eridium. Vagrant Story had this thing where you'd have extra item storage on your memory card or something like that. I'd gladly put up with the loading time that had if it meant having a poo poo ton of extra room.

Claptraps secret stash is worse because it only has room for 4 items and needs you to get a certain amount of game progress to access it.

Yeah it was much, much more convenient to just have a friend you trust hop in, or make a second account and hop in split screen with a second controller as a mule.

I guess for another Borderlands dragging down thing, the item duping. I mean overall that was very, very good to have. It made playing with friends bearable because we're not all competing for loot. If someone got a legendary or whatever then everyone got a legendary, or for missions that gave you a choice between two unique items as a reward you could get them both. This was great.

Buuuut, and maybe this was just the friends I played with, they'd want to stop and dupe all the loot every time someone got loot, or if I got a decentish gun we had to stop playing for five minutes so everyone could get it... and then it'd get replaced five minutes later. Also the gun wasn't even that good, it just looked like it was because I was gunzerker and made it good.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Tengames posted:

My favorite rationalization for this is that since the stations take a percentage of your cash to pay for the respawn, and handsome jack is so obscenely rich, the respawners just glitch up trying to calcuate a high enough fee to match the percentage and thus don't respawn him.

There's some rationalizations for new-u stations working/not-working that make sense. They don't work for Roland, because as an actual dangerous rebel against Hyperion he was removed from the databanks. But the player character wasn't- at first because Jack doesn't regard you as a threat/is using you to accomplish his goals/gets mad cash when you die. But later on (after Angel's death) it's personal- so you stay in the system because he wants to be the one to kill you, and isn't willing to risk someone else getting you.

Handsome Jack not coming back... I dunno. Too rich is a funny answer, so I like it. Maybe he was just too conceited and proud to even consider death as a possibility.

but really the writers should have realized the problem and addressed it explicitly in game, I think.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I'm not a big fan of the Batmobile in Arkham Knight and I'm hoping it's optional for most of the game. Who the hell thought gliding and zip-grappling around the city was insufficiently exciting?

That said I did like when i did my first Riddler challenge in the Batmobile and the Riddler said something like "if you don't have the brainpower to get how this race course counts a riddle I'm not even going to bother explaining it to you"

It sticks around all game, including some annoying "boss" fights, but in terms of like, time percentage you do use it less after the ACE chemicals sections, I think.

Zooming around in the car mode is fun, playing dodge the red line in tank mode not so much.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Borderlands Two?

More like Badderblands Poo

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

The four kings wouldn't be so bad if there were a quicker shortcut to them than going through the valley of the drakes, and then either fighting or running past all the darkwraiths. The darkwraiths are not the hard part, but fighting two of the drakes is because they keep zipping and zopping across the field (I just run past the four at the end with my shield up). Sometimes I hit the darkwraiths, except I did my 2handed club strong attack right into their loving grab that does about 40% of my health in damage, and I guess it has super armor or something!. Then I get to the four kings and oh boy I pretty much got immediately grabbed and then jabbed to death. Fighting about two of them at once, and they can both grab me. I thought you were able to mash R1 and L1 out of grabs?

Have you not brought back the firelink shrine keeper yet? (assuming she died for you) If you have, start at firelink and take the elevator down (make sure to send it back up) and there's... a jump you can do, somewhere, that will get you real close to the boss room. There's some darkwraiths but you can just run and roll past them.

If you haven't brought her back, go check out Anor Londo, near O+S. Toughish fight but worth it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

I'll go look for that stuff!

I didn't like that sunlight guy, so I kicked him off a cliff at the shrine. Otherwise I would have let him live :v:

A+ good work.

Here's one shortcut not the one I used but looks alright.

Here's the one I used, just gotta watch out for that last knight.

If you've got the power within pyromancy from blighttown that really helps. Drains HP (slowly) but does a big damage boost. The safest place against the four kings is actually kind of right next to them, I think? I don't know your build but having a greatshield + heavy armour to tank, and then just wreck them quick with pyromancy is a good strat. If you keep attacking during the death animation you'll continue to do damage to the overall health bar.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Destiny did something similar to some of their Exotics. Which in theory have their rarity labelled as such because most of them carry unique traits like, for example, a handgun that poisons people. Something no other gun does. Except, of course, no one's ever happy with anything that's different in PVP so people complain, unique items get their defining features reduced and most of the really unique items never got brought into the second year of the game and pretty much the most unique trait an exotic weapon has right now is "can be equipped in the primary slot instead of the secondary slot". Most others just have slightly enhanced versions of generic perks, or make you run faster or something on a kill.

Enh, the thing with the poison pistol wasn't that it was different, it was that it was incredibly strong, like the strongest weapon in the game at the time and not using was actively handicapping yourself and it had incredibly high meta-warping usage rates. Well, that or the gunslinger fanfire pistol.

But it was also very unfun to play against- get hit by it once and your screen goes all green and awful, and even if you get behind cover now you get to sit and wait a long time until the poison goes away and your shields come back so you can fight again.

Nerfing the weapon wasn't the thing dragging the game down, having such an absurd weapon and keeping it that way for months and months was the thing dragging the game down.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

The thing dragging down Crypt of the NecroDancer for me is that my stupid reptile brain apparently is incapable of managing "moving to the rhythm" and "don't walk into a skeleton three times a row you retard." :( Playing as Bard seems like cheating to me so I'm just hacking away at it with Cadence.

Then one time I actually make it to NecroDancer and it's a goddamn hideous puzzle boss where I have to move two characters at once and avoid enemies and I just can't handle it at all.

Just keep going, you'll get it eventually! Believe!

But for the Necrodancer, bring bombs- 3 or 4 I think will do it. I mean you can't always do that of course but you can probably start saving in zone 3 or 4 and have enough. You can bomb the platform the Necrodancer and the lute are on, and skip the first stage, which is the hardest part so skipping it is very good.

Once you have the lute you can just chase the necrodancer around and not worry about enemies or positioning quite as much. Also I think there's a thing where the longer the fight goes the stronger the enemies summoned are, so shortening that is great too.

You should also have Eli unlocked. He has infinite bombs, and is very fun, and is imo easier than Cadence but keeps the rhythm mechanic so you still challenge yourself that way unlike Bard. And you can practice bosses although I think Necrodancer takes the crystals each attempt? I'm not 100% sure.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

khwarezm posted:

After you beat the game with a certain character you unlock another character that needs to maintain the beat or else she will automatically die, can only take two hits, cannot change from the starting dagger and can't get any health upgrades. Oh and she also starts in the final chamber and works backwards.

And then when you beat the game with her, you unlock another character who has to deal with all of the above while also not being able to pick any gold or else they will die instantly and also has every song playing at double speed so you need to be absolutely perfect in your timing!

Not quite- Aria (the first character referred to) only has half a heart and dies in ONE hit, but she starts with a potion (pick up that auto revives you with full health if you die, very rare) so you get one free do-over. So.... even worse than what you said, really. Also to unlock Coda you have to beat an all-char run. That is, beat the game with every other character, without dying or quitting. Basically prove that you've just about mastered the game.

Coda's very much the developers saying "Oh you think you're hot poo poo? Well try and beat THIS" and they didn't think a human would be able to do it.

They were wrong, of course

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

gta and southpark and all those harsh biting satires of modern pop culture* lost all their bite when they became modern pop culture

*you know what I mean

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You should be legally required to say "but someone other than me" when you say "we need a healer" or similar, just to really drive home what a tool thing to say it is.

yeah they get a pass if they're the solo tank calling for a healer, or vice versa, but gently caress 'em otherwise.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

This reminds me of Dead Rising 1. Each survivor had their own AI/priorities (stay close to you, help friends/specific friend if threatened, run from threats, etc). This isn't made explicitly clear, and some of the first survivors you encounter are intentionally programmed to
a) be poo poo at fighting (old guy, two dudebros)
b) be heroic and overaggressive, running right into crowds of zombies (dudebros)
c) be slow, cautious and cowardly (at least one early woman survivor, the dudebros when they're hurt)

This of course makes a bad first impression and virtually everyone agrees that DR's survivor AI is poo poo. However, there are a good few of them who can take care of themselves and even positively help fights against psychos, but compounded with the awful machine-gun jeep psychos in the courtyard being an incredibly unfair fight for newbies (about 1 hour into the game, around the same time as dudebros) it suuuuure seems like the AI is poo poo.

The real trick was manually directing the survivors (aim and then Y button). It makes a waypoint that they'll beeline towards, and then defend.

Not only will they spend less time uselessly fighting but for some reason it also greatly increases their pathing skills so they spend way less time stuck on potted plants and chairs and poo poo.

You can keep a group of survivors in one spot, clear a path, send them through the path (while running around making sure everyone is fine), rinse, repeat.

I think the manual mentioned you could do this, maybe? But really, one trick made the game vastly easier and it's never, ever mentioned in-game. Also it's kind of dumb that the survivors just become much better at walking if you just tell them where to go.

e; the first Dead Rising was very much "do these weird and obscure tricks or you'll have a hard time". Sure there's stuff like knowing all the items/routes/spawn times but also things like giving survivors weapons... and then giving them a healing item so they drop the weapon before you get to the safe room... but then running into them and jostling them so they drop the healing item before using it.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Jul 27, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

im pooping! posted:

"DUCK WILL REMEMBER THIS YOU CRETIN!" popups

Tales of the Borderlands had some funny jokey ones, although I can't remember them right now :shobon: they did have the gag where if you skipped the credits then 'the developers will remember that!" and it kept progressing through the five episodes.

Also there's a bit of dark humour where someone will remember something, and then immediately die.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Dewgy posted:

I think the biggest problem with MOBAs is they seem to fall into the same trap of game design that CCGs do: Your skills in one don't really necessarily translate well to others, unless the skill you have in mind is "reading up on a bunch of esoteric rules".

They don't really have that "I'm decent at this and can bullshit my way through a few rounds" buffer like more action-ey games do like FPSes or fighters, which makes low level play a real crapshoot. You're either fumbling around with other newbies or getting stomped by someone who knows the ruleset better than you, and no amount of twitch skill can save you.

That's probably true, but I'd say it's more that games are fairly lengthy (20min+, likely much longer) and they have a severe snowballing effect. Someone gets ahead- now they have gold and experience, so it's easier for them to get kills or farm, so they can help out their teammates get ahead, so the team can take objectives, and then win...

It can be very obvious who's going to win fairly early on but it still takes time to actually close out the game. If you're on the losing team it's mentally exhausting, knowing that you're almost certainly going to lose, and any chance of winning has to come from your team playing perfectly and the enemy team playing poorly and things dragging out to 40+ minutes until the strengths equalize.

It's also very easy for someone, for whatever reason- new player, or playing a new character, or having a bad day, or in a bad matchup, or whatever- to make a few mistakes that start the snowball and drag down the rest of their team down even if they're playing well.

People get very upset. But Mobas don't have in-game joining, so leavers have to be penalized pretty harshly, which means you can basically get stuck in a game with someone who's pissy about losing and may or may not just be trying to throw the game to get it over with faster and it really just feeds off of itself.

Overwatch has a bit of this too, where a team that's doing well will charge their ultimates faster, but not the anywhere near the same degree, and games are over in like 10 minutes, and unless you're doing competitive mode you can just leave if you're having a bad time or the rear end in a top hat can leave and be replaced or whatever.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Oct 23, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Ultimates like this in general seem kind of lovely for that very reason. Destiny PVP does it too. It charges constantly through the match, but kills give you a pretty huge boost. So if you're doing bad you'll only get off one per game but if you're doing good you might get two, or three. With the right builds there are people who can get off way more. So of course someone doing good enough to get an early super can use it to just obliterate any chance the losing team had of recovering. This is especially poo poo when supers vary from one guy being able to dash around instantly killing guys and refilling his health with every hit for a few seconds, or one guy being able to roam around like a jedi shooting lightning from his hands for half a minute. To one guy getting 3 instant kill shots that are super easy to see and avoid, and another guy being able to throw up a protective bubble that any other super can just instantly destroy, killing anyone inside of it because it explodes when it breaks.

Oh I know all about Destiny you don't gotta tell me. There's also the orbs of light, where getting kills with a super drops little bundles of energy that teammates can pick up to further charge their super. If you're coordinated you can just chain them repeatedly pretty much.

you're not quite right about the bubble though, it doesn't actually explode. It's just most supers capable of destroying it will leave an aoe or involve multiple explosions or can continue on. If you're smart you can use the bubble to bait out another super and peace out. Their super cancels yours but yours charges faster and you generated orbs for teammates (no orbs for them for destroying it).

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

On an extra note does anyone know of a turn-based RPG with combat that's actually somewhat varied and enjoyable? I don't know why I'm asking this thread for game recommendations but for some reason it seems like the best place on the forums for it :v:

Well, ok it's... hmmm, not really turn based, but close enough- Transistor

You can play in real time, but enemies are fast and your attacks are slow, usually, so instead you activate the Turn() ability, which pauses time, lets you queue up a series of actions, then execute them at hyper speed. Then you try to survive the enemies' real-time counter attacks while Turn() recharges.

Now- some people say that the combat is not varied or fun, because you just load up the strongest attack, annihilate one enemy per Turn(), and then dash around while recharging. Those people are wrong and dumb and that load out isn't even very good.

So in Transistor, you get various abilities, about a dozen or so. You can use them straight up, OR you slot them into another one as a power-up to it, OR you can slot it into your character for a passive bonus. For example, Bounce() is, well, a bouncing projectile on its own, gives a chaining effect to other attacks, or gives your character a passive shield.

You can mix and match them to get an insane amount of different loadouts. The one-hit wonder style mentioned earlier, turning enemies against each other, summoning a helper dog (that explodes), laying down explosive minefields that drain health for you, creating a clone while you stealth away (then it explodes), or even go for broke and build a quick and speedy loadout that doesn't need Turn() at all, which uh, kind of is the opposite of your request, but still. Point is there's a lot of different ways you can approach combat- you can take it more turn-based puzzle like, or as more of an isometric action game like Hyperlight Drifter or Furi or even Bastion which is by the same developer and you're generally just shooting lasers and smashing stuff with a giant glowing computer chip sword to great music, it's fun.

Plus the aesthetic and setting is super cool, and the soundtrack is phenominal. It's kind of short though- right at the point of 'too short' and 'probably best not to overstay its welcome', and some people didn't much like the story's vagueness about a lot of things/the ending and maybe didn't like the narrator who does talk a lot in all fairness.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Also how did 'call for help' pass any kind of QA. Like, at least one person should've looked at that and thought 'maybe let's cap it at two or something so people don't get stuck fighting forever'.

The SOS actually does have a mechanic to it, the longer chains you go you start seeing pokemon with hidden abilities, or having higher IVs, or I think higher shiny chance. Also you could just run away... unless you want to catch that pokemon, yeah.

You can stop them from calling for help by putting a status on them, but the game doesn't make this clear, which is a definite thing dragging it down although I'm sure someone is going to be like "here is some person or sign or dialogue explaining exactly what's up y'all are dumb for not seeing it"

I do think it should maybe have decreasing chance of success the more it calls, unless you specifically use the item that ups the chances.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Has there ever been a game that was actually improved by having durability meters on equipment? So many games do it and it's always a garbage decision, it must have been a good idea at some point...right?

In theory it's good for survival simulators or maybe some rpgs like Morrowind where you're going on these big expeditions into the wild, so basically having to pack your bags carefully and either have spares or ways to maintain yourself...

but no, never.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

just a minor thing for me about overwatch:

i think the cooldown for mccree's dodge roll is a couple seconds too long. i get that if it's on too short of a timer everyone would be rolling everywhere like gears of war multiplayer, but it feels really situational as a thing. i think it should be maybe a couple seconds longer than d.va's boosters.

maybe, but its pretty crap as a repositioning tool but the real reason to roll is that it instantly reloads his gun, so you need to have the roll timer at least a bit longer than it takes to empty it otherwise people would never actually reload

I suppose you could remove the reload from the roll and make it an actual useful dodge in which case a lower cooldown would be alright probably

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Sic Semper Goon posted:

For massively powerful factions, the Vivec house vaults don't really have that much in them, IIRC.

A couple of thousand gold and a few gemstones. In a world where the most worthless of items is worth at least 1 gold.

the redoran treasury vault had glass and ebony armour and weapons, in addition to the gold and jewels.

Not the biggest deal for established characters but you can rob them blind pretty much right away as a new character and be set up right good.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Ive played a bunch of Platinum games before, and the Nier combat seemed pretty similar, so I upped it to Hard after the first few fights.

Turns out it doesn't have a loving autosave after you start the game. So I'm now on my third time going through the trivial top-down shooter section in order to get to the actual challenging/fun gameplay.

Just beat the prologue/tutorial on normal or easy or whatever then bump it up. It's very dumb that it makes you start all over but yeah, just get through it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

i had a friend who did this with Far Cry: Blood Dragon and it just looked so tiring. like, i go for second-hardest difficulty on most games because i always assume difficulty will just scale health and damage values and not do anything clever like add more objectives or unlock enemy A.I. but doing the N:A demo i realized it'd be better to stick to Normal until i get a better handle on the combat.

i think autosaves have become a staple feature Western gamers have expected so when a game comes out that doesn't do that it feels like an oversight in development. i know that's how i felt when i got back into the yakuza series.

I remember way way back when the first Dead Space came out, some goon was posting about doing their very first run on the hardest difficulty they could, using only the plasma cutter , and how they hated it, but refused to do anything else because it was an achievement.

I mean the plasma cutter was actually not-so secretly the strongest and most versatile weapon when upgraded, but you'd still want other weapons for regular play or your first time. Just using the cutter was specifically a challenge run for when you knew your poo poo. Anyway they were complaining about how boring it was just using one weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Nier: Automata pet peeve given to any new players as advice:

Don't ever do a main quest until you have finished ALL the sidequests you can first. You will get locked out of doing them as far as I can tell.

On the other hand, you definitely do want to rush the main quest up to a certain point in order to unlock fast travel.