Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Avernum 4-6 have lean on one mechanic wayyy to hard. Poison. Every enemy poisons you, bandits. slimes, bosses, bats, goblins, undead, immobile turrets, slugs, and of course, rats. You have to useyour priest's turns curing almost every round, which quickly loses it's charm. The best enemies are ones that poison you and are practically immune to everything but magic damage, which is seriously annoying when you only have one dedicated priest and one dedicated mage in your party along with two melee users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

The original Far Cry is piss loving hard.

I absolutely could not beat the level near the end where they take away all your weapons and dump you in the middle of a jungle absolutely filled with monkey mutants.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Tiggum posted:

How do you use a mouse? My thumb just sort of rests on the side, but it makes no difference if I hold it away from the mouse. It's not involved.

Some people hold the mouse without touching it with their palm. Try holding your mouse with just the ends of your fingers and you'll find that you need your thumb to have any fidelity in your motion.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

The "an alien is talking" sound clips from KOTOR make me turn off the sound whenever I need to have a long conversation with one. I would rather sit through a million badly animated conversations with real words than hear AGGABAGAWAHHH on repeat ever again.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Generic American posted:

"Moocha chacka packa? Sawinga colony!"

That line of stock dialogue will forever be burned into my brain. I can still hear it. :shepicide:

That one was particularly egregious since like 50% of all aliens were male twilek, and they restarted their lines on that exact part whenever you skipped their horrible jibber jabber.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

To be fair, modern body armor weighs a TON. And if soldiers have a gearbag you have to add that weight in too. Arma is a game that likes to pretend it's ultrarealistic so it makes sense that your guys have a tough time jogging a mile.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

To be fair, I rarely replay a game until several years have passed since my first time through it. This year will probably be my second playthrough of Skyrim even though it's been out forever. Consequently, I like to be able to do everything the first time.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

The only issue with the new art style is that some of the old item sprites were just run through a converter, while the new items all had new sprites drawn specifically for the new style. Since the old items wayyyyy outnumber new ones, some of the new ones look like total poo poo EG: Magic Fingers.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

This is all I see.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah, it's not the game's fault you stopped playing it.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Games are designed to be played in a fairly contiguous series of sessions. If someone plays half the game, puts it down for six months, and then comes back to it, it is not the fault of the game if that person forgets what they were doing. It's actually a no-fault situation since games aren't typically meant to be played in that fashion.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

It is absolutely the worst of the 3 games. The bosses are horrible, loot drops are even worse, the areas are either samey or annoying to traverse, and the game as a whole feels like Borderlands 2.5.
That said, it has more interesting set pieces than either of the other two games, they got away from the "wacky, zany" humor that dominated every aspect of Borderlands 2(kinda), it gives you your action skill at level 3 instead of 5, and it adds frost damage while ditching the miserable pile of poo poo that was the slag mechanic from BL2.
If you have friends, you'll enjoy asphyxiating each other.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

ME2 and 3 put me off because everything looks too drat shiny. Everything from the people to the rocks look like someone carefully rubbed them down with Vaseline right before I arrived.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah, Assassins Creed games really like to pull that trick.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Once Mark Hamill dies this will probably stop.

Mark Hamill wasn't the Joker in the most recent game.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah, it's not like you ever visit their supposedly safe territory(and that would be really boring gameplay anyway) so you never get to see why you should overlook the rape, torture, slavery, etc.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

The "Deathclaws were wandering all over the open world" argument is dumb because they don't wander up to the invisible barriers either, they have a particular aggro distance and they pretty well stick to it. If they lose sight of the character or an NPC for too long they go home, they don't go wandering all over the game map killing whatever they find. It would also have been fairly easy to put like, a gate on the quarry if they really wanted to keep the barrier-less map, they simply did not want to.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

A weird thing about Gat Out of Hell is that the progress is tied into how many activities you've done but the thresholds for continuing the story are really low. Almost like the game doesn't expect you to actually want to play it.

This is actually true of all of the Saints Row games.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Both games have intros that explain everything you need to know?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

Ashley's a space racist and has a boring skillset compared to Kaiden. :colbert:

In universe she was born one year after humanity fought a war with the first alien race it met. Given that humans have only been on the galactic scene for like 25 years, she probably has a reason to feel a little like "if push comes to shove, we're toast."

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

The Witcher 3 has little storyboard images accompanied by in-character narration whenever you load the game. Presumably they hide loading screens, but they are much longer than the average loading screens in the rest of the game and there is no in game option to disable them. Not only are they pretty annoying when you've seen the same one after reloading a section you screwed something up on, but they also play when you fast-travel to any of the other in game provinces.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Digirat posted:

JRPGs are incredibly boring. The ones I've played have managed to hold my interest for about a playthrough but then by the end it's clear that the only things that are going to change is how big the numbers are and that I'm going to kill god at the end. Can't wait to click on a thing and see 50,000 appear instead of 49,000 ohhhh yeah

Fixed that for you.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

It's really annoying that Prague in DE:MD is almost one big area, except for the small section that you have to go through a loading screen to get to. Also the game likes to send you over to that part of town in side quests.

The loading screen is also very long. Even going to the smaller of the two main areas takes at least 30-45, with the animations only lasting 10-15, so you will virtually always see them multiple times during one loading screen .

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I don't think I heard a single use of the new short form name for the Czech Republic, Czechia, in Mankind Divided. Stupid since all the material for the game was probably done before that decision was ratified, but would have been a cool nod.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Lovecraftian stuff is practically New England's fiction bread and butter. Hell, Providence, where Lovecraft spent his entire life, is only ~40 miles from Boston.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

You can also solve the problem by just not bringing her on any missions with you, at the expense of the game's narrative development of course.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Doesn't she chime in quite a bit anyway though because of your ~psychic connection~?

She only does that maybe 4-5 times in the whole game, and I think she does for story-related reasons 2-3 of those times. Compare that to taking her as a companion, where she comments at least that much per planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

It may not have fast travel from anywhere to anywhere else, but it has teleportation spells, silt striders, and boats which serve most of the same function.