Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

RyokoTK posted:

Darksiders 2.

Also, a ton of the sidequests are collectathons with no map markers. I have one to find various specters that I can't even see unless I'm wearing a certain amulet, another one to find four pieces of a giant golem, and several for finding various generic tokens that I can turn in for rewards. gently caress that, I'm not wasting my time without even some clues. Darksiders 2 is a fine game, but it's got so much of this filler, especially compared to the first game that was so tightly made and overall better.

Playing Dark Siders 1, it felt like a God of War or Ninja Gaiden or any number of games like that (which I love), but it was just missing some small touches. Darksiders 2 comes along a fixes a ton of those, and it was great; but then out of no where, they toss in MMORPG-style items, quests and areas. Nothing kills it for me more quickly than this. I could tolerate it in Kingdoms of Amalur, but that too got excessive with the fetch quests - also, it's more in the RPG genre to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Mass Effect 1 has a ton of little problems, but I just blitzed through the game, and the one that really stuck in my craw was item management.

About half to 2/3 through the game, your inventory starts to get full (150 items). So at that point, you really have to take time every time you pick up any loot, and one-by-one turn it all into Omni-gel (*click* > "Are you SURE you want to do this??"). It takes freaking forever; and it gets worse later when you have the best gear and are chucking everything. In the last 5 hours of the game, I probably threw 200 guns and as many ammo mods into the bin. The alternative is just to never open crates and lockers - there's no option to just leave the poo poo where it is.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Sardonik posted:

ME2 does most things better than ME1, except the dialogue, plot and the whole not showing you the stats on the guns you're equipping thing. Though I can't knock the plot of 2 too much, it's not 2's fault that 3 rendered so many of its plotlines utterly irrelevant. Dark Energy and all.

I agree. It'd been so long since I played ME1, I could almost see it with new eyes. I really loved the story and the reveal of the game universe. It was a lot better than 2 at this - 2 really felt like a caretaker episode where 80% of it was recruiting team members and helping them with their personal lives. We learned roughly what the Collectors were at the beginning and that they're working with the Reapers, and then almost nothing happens with that plotline until the end.

But yeah, game play, art style and execution were much better in ME2. ME2 doesn't have too many individual problems that will stop me dead in my tracks like ME1 did; and I thought that bar Afterlife was one of the coolest things I'd seen in a game at that point.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

DStecks posted:

This is just plain wrong, period. Mass Effect 2 has one of the best video game plots of all time from a design standpoint.

ME1 is a very typical "bop from plot point to plot point as the talking heads tell you what hoops you need to jump through next" video game plot. I guess it passes for good since most video games have a lovely talking-heads-hoop-jumping plot. ME2 gives you an objective: "Go through the Mass Relay of Doom, find out what the gently caress is on the other side", and then tells you what you need to do to achieve it: "assemble your team", and then it turns you loose to accomplish your mission. It puts the player in the driver's seat of the story and gives them a sense of agency most games don't even realize that they should be delivering.

Yeah, you could argue that they were less ham-fisted delivering the plot in ME2, but I still think the plot in general is less interesting. It's supposed to be chapter 2 of a trilogy about Reapers and their repeating purge of the galaxy. Some plot tangents are great, but almost the entire plot is about your crew's personal problems. It felt like a "break" from the story rather than part 2.

Reminds me of one thing I hated about Arkham City. It starts with "Protocol 10", but then immediately turns into a Joker side-plot for the next 6 hours. Then you get a quick resolution of Protocol 10, and then back to Joker bull poo poo. Mass Effect 2 was like the Joker part - parallel to the plot without really adding a whole lot.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Action Tortoise posted:

Oh man, I remember that fight. It was a rehash of Two Face's fight in Arkham City's Catwoman DLC. Robin has one as well against Harley. People complained about samey boss fights in Asylum but they keep doing these stealth battles.

Stealth scenarios are already mostly annoying to me, because if you're not in the right groove, they're just a lot of waiting. And then these stealth boss fights come along, and the patrolling goons spawn infinitely. It's the worst thing.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Mass Effect 3: No Krogan team mate <:mad:>

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

OldTennisCourt posted:

South Park: Stick of Truth: The abortion QTE with Randy is horrible. The first part will simply decide to not read your inputs sometimes and I'm pretty close to convinced that the second section is near impossible. I literally can not spin the control stick any faster, I'm putting my palm on it and spinning it to the point where my palm hurts and I STILL can't do it. Holy poo poo why on earth would you make a joke QTE section this absurdly difficult?

I'm a guy that actually likes QTEs in most games, but Stick of Truth did a really poo poo job with them. I can never decide when exactly it wants me to input it or at what speed. I spent 15 minutes farting at Randy in the bathroom once. Got so sick of hearing "Kee-yah!"

I recently picked up Dust: An Elysian Tale. It's a great 2D brawler/rpg/metroidvania; but the combat is too easy. Even on max difficulty, nothing is hard to kill. Further, they increased the difficulty in the worst way, so on the higher difficulties you can die in one or two hits by most things. The controls are so fast and responsive, it's just a bummer that none of the enemies are at all challenging in a fulfilling way.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I must've side-stepped those grinding problems by completely ignoring the scythe and fists. Darksiders is weird to me in the ways that it is both great and lovely about quality of life issues. Like, it's the only game where wall-climbing isn't tedious, bullshit; but then again, it's not set-up well enough to do the grinding that you obviously need to do to get everything, and I remember some egregious back-tracking. Back-tracking is OK when there is some meaningful change between visits, but Darksiders just would have you go out of your way to flip a switch or get a bomb or something for no good reason.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins again. This time I picked a human male, sword and shield character.

I picked his voice type as "Cocky", because, I don't know, I liked the timbre of it. But now, about every 4th or 5th right-click - to interact with things or move - he says, "Shall I get you a ladder so you can get off my back?!" And he just keeps doing it all the time. I'm about 5 hours in, but I have to start a new file, it's that bad.

Usually, the other voices will say things like, "Ok!", "Right", or "I'm going" when you right click; and this guy gets 5 seconds of snark that triggers all the drat time.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Heavy Lobster posted:

I ended up falling into the same trap and it is absolutely miserable. Even the normal acknowledgment is this really exasperated "awlright, AWLRIIGHT" and I have no idea how it got through testing as anything other than the joke voice.

omg ugh!

Now I have to do another terrible origin section. Rats in the larder!

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Celery Face posted:

I picked that voice for my human noble because it fit her perfectly and that really got on my nerves. Even the dev team hated that line apparently.

An NPC in that game who really annoyed me was that dwarf voiced by Steve Blum in the market square who would go "Dwarven crafts! Fine, dwarven crafts!" every time you passed him.

Steve Blum is a little thing that drags down about 90% of the games I play.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Accordion Man posted:

Steve Blum has a lot of range, he's just typecasted as hell.

I can't let this slide. No matter how he disguises his voice, his "Blumness" cuts through and it's obvious. It's just everywhere.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm not being really fair to Steve Blum. I mean, I do think he lacks variation among his performances; but my real beef is just with "his voice". It's just in this perfect zone to put me in a bad mood every time I hear it. Nolan North, for example, I can always tell when it's him, but I like his voice, and among his characters that sound similar, I don't really feel like I'm hearing the same person each time.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

slingshot effect posted:

re: Steve Blum

My friends and I play a version of Start To Crate, and that's Start To Blum, or how long it takes from the opening credits to the first time you encounter Steve Blum.

I had this thread in mind as I started playing Shadow of Mordor. And I was thrilled that, 9 hours in, I hadn't heard him. But then the "Dark Lord" showed up in a cinematic, and there you go. It hit me like a dart on his first spoken syllable.

Blum's Law: If there are voices in a video game, one of them must be Steve Blum's.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I just beat Shadow of Mordor, and I mostly think it's outstanding. So many parts of it are carbon-copied from other games, but it really puts it all together competently.

What I didn't like were all the pointless side-quests. It's the same problem I had with Assassin's Creed 1 - just a lot of repetitive time sucks with no real payoff. The ones where you help prisoners were nearly identical, and I think there were 20 or more that you had to do. There was some variation in the weapon-specific quests, but you don't really get anything from them, and a couple of the stealth ones were really lovely.

I think side quests should really just be mini stories parallel to the main one. Like Torvin's whole arc - I'd consider that a side quest, but it was lumped in with the main one. I hate to whine about any "extra" content, but it just feels like filler.

Either way, I got about 25 hrs until 100%, and I really enjoyed most of it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'd agree with that for sure. I was bummed that I rarely had multiple encounters with the same captain, since I've heard so many cool stories. It only really got hard if I was in a stronghold on alert (basically unending waves of uruks), fighting a captain, and then two more captains show up, AND I decide to not just run.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Austrian mook posted:

I'm pretty sure Ubisoft genuinely doesn't understand what makes people want to play Assassins Creed.

Did I hear that they changed something about the engine or physics, starting at AC3? I LOVED AC2, BRO, and Revelations; and AC1 is OK. But I can't even get into AC4; it's just way too different.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Austrian mook posted:

That's a shame, rear end Creed's combat is insanely bad.

(Re: SoM)
It's wrong. The combat is a carbon-copy of the Arkham games. Just easier. The only thing woefully missing is the grappling hook.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 07:37 on Oct 16, 2014

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Skyrim gets the complaints it gets for the same reason you're more angry at a significant other when they mess up than you are by a perfect stranger. There's so much history and expectation built up for Bethesda and Elder Scrolls games that each mistake really sticks in your craw. People I think are angry about Skyrim, not because of the package they got, but because of what they feel was taken away from their ideal product.

If you play 100 hours and walk away feeling lukewarm or even negative about what you just played, I don't think you can really make a great argument that the game didn't at least meet the bar for consumer expectations of an adequate experience for the $20-$60 you spent on it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Thoughtless posted:

I'm quoting this for the matchmaking issue. Another game where this was the specific thing dragging everything down was Super Monday Night Combat. That's a sorta third person shooter/DOTA mixture game that's nowadays pretty much dead, but if you do play it, you can be sure to get matched with people who are roughly level one million with maxed-out everything on their characters. This means you either get carried or you get completely steamrolled, and the game was always like that; it's not because of the tiny number of players online these days.

Multiplayer games should really, really focus more on matchmaking, there's no better way to turn people off than either constantly dying or constantly winning with no effort.

You know, my friends and I played the crap out of Monday Night Combat, but they changed so much with the sequel.

What really turned me off was just how many hits the players could take. Unlike a pure MOBA, players in this game were nimble enough to just get away. It felt like you'd waste a lot of time fighting, and then they'd just scamper off. Was I way off-base about that? Did that change?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Tiggum posted:

To be honest, despite the time I've already spent on it and the fact that I'll definitely play it some more, I really wouldn't want to have spent $60 on it. On sale for $8 it was totally worthwhile though.

Yeah, I'm the same way. Except for Dark Souls 2, I haven't paid release price on a game for several years. I suppose I just meant that what you get out of games in general for a given price, Skyrim is a decent value at that price, comparably.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

DStecks posted:

OTOH I find it hard to sustain disbelief when I as the player character am a loving god of war, and nobody seems to acknowledge that. That's part of what made Half-Life 2 so great, the game was fully aware that Gordon Freeman having the body count that he does is completely loving nuts.

Yeah, I appreciate acknowledgement over unrealistic contempt any day of the week. The bad guys were (rightly) anxious about Gordon Freeman getting closer, and sent a completely disproportionate force against you.

Diablo 3 is low-hanging fruit in story and dialogue; but it was just irritating when I hit the Act 3 boss, and he was talking down to me like I didn't just bull-doze through 1500 of his minions, and a couple other demons to reach him. It bugs me. Bad guys can still be bad-rear end if they acknowledge you realistically. Mass Effect 3 as well - the Illusive Man and his assassin acted like Shepard isn't a real threat, and it just defies credulity.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Pac-man Championship Edition DX+: You can unlock the original Pac-man graphics if you get all the medals (like achievements, but harder). Those medals include "Share 5 medals and all achievements on Facebook". So if I was that cool skin, I gotta share like 17 stupid achievements on Facebook. Nothin doin Pac-man.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Firstborn posted:

Been playing a lot of games lately.
- Shadow of Mordor: A story that polarizes... if you don't care about LOTR, this game will not change it. If you like LOTR, you will think the story is really bad. This game is a lot of fun, though. The Elf wraith stuff could've been excised from the game entirely. Just give me a regular bow. I don't like to do ghost hits, I'd rather the "flurry" combo after the stun be just as cool as Batman's ridiculous long combo. I hate all the loving things having to do with sharing a body with a goddamn ghost elf in this game. Not a fan of Tolkien, I just think it's stupid and makes Talion's moveset seem smaller than it is.

I loved though how if you have to counter 2 enemies simultaneously, the wraith kind of hops out of your body to take on one of them.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Thoughtless posted:

With all the Assassin's Creed talk and the fact that I like pirates, I figured I'd try the series. So I started with the first game, planning to play through them all (because jumping right into Black Flag seems like I'd be totally lost with the time travel/genetic memory exploration story). Oh boy.

It's not a bad game at all by the mechanics, it's pretty fun to play and I like the story. However, it has some Things.

1) I feel less like an assassin and more like an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction. Stealth isn't very good, but the combat is, and there's no real risk no matter how many guards gang up on you. I guess this isn't as much a bad thing as it is completely dissonant with the theme of the game.

2) Holy poo poo is this game repetitive, it feels like Groundhog Day. I'm doing the same thing over and over and over and unless the ending is the second coming of Christ, it won't be worth it.

Yeah, I really feel like that game is a proof of concept at best. I can only really enjoy it now nostalgically.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Failure: Ezio did not set out with no clothes.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Edit: Re: Assassin's Creed guns

It went both ways. Toward the end of AssCreed II, you get a pistol. Even when they only give you six shots, and make it super slow, it's game-breakingly easy.

If they ever made a modern one with Desmond, they might have to actually make it about stealth.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Dark Souls is my favorite game, and I was so excited for Dark Souls 2. But this screenshot shows what's dragging it down for me:

That background area just has so much wrong with it. And it is just this thing; I believe that this game is probably about as good as the first. But I've had it since PC release, and this just bums me out so bad that I have a hard time playing farther into it. The map/world in DS1 was so big a part of what was impressive about it, and then the first real area in DS2 has this throw-away area. I'm letting it bother me too much, but blech.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Oct 24, 2014

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The Mega Man X talk reminded me of one of my favorites - Mega Man X4.

I think it was the first one on Playstation. Graphics were great, levels and power ups were fun, and it wasn't too difficult. What sucked is that the final boss is on a completely different planet, difficulty-wise. I've played through the game a handful of times with no real problem, but once I get to Sigma 2, I'm stopped dead.

This guy makes it look way easier than I remember.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

kazil posted:

All bosses in DS2 should have been Ornstein and Smough

Edit: Anyone who defends Capra Demon as anything but a piece of poo poo fight is crazy. D

I think O&S and Capra Demon both deserve some credit as the 2 boss fights that I'm never really confident I can win on any given try. As much as you know what you have to do, they're so little room for error in each one, and what works on one try won't on another. Capra, I'd agree, is kind of a lovely deal.

For instance, you can go in there one time, and dodge roll his first attack, take out the dogs on the stairs, and it's no problem. Go in there next time, do the same dodge-roll, but, whoops, there's a dog in your way this time; it staggers you, then Capra beats you like a railroad spike. Not like I couldn't just throw on heavy armor, but, eh.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rick_Hunter posted:

Besides all the usual problems of adding a slew of changes without properly vetting their interactions, it sounds like Long War just adds too many drat enemies.

I'm finishing up the last 7th Gen Assassin's Creed game, Assassin's Creed: Liberation, and while I've had a good time playing the series, I can't get over the fact that in every successive game, they still haven't been able to get rid of one glaring control issue - when you're trying to get away from something, your character gets attached to a perpendicular surface and continually runs up it. Eventually, you have whatever mob that's chasing you catch up or you have to run away from the surface and then continue on your merry way to escapement.

I haven't played enough of the games after 2, Bro, and Revelations; but in those, if you ran up a surface, you could hold left or right, and jump off in that direction. In my experience it evaded almost any followers. I know they changed a lot in the later games. Bummer if you can't do that any more.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yeah, that is annoying on its own. What I was saying is demonstrated in this video, right where I have it started. It's Ezio running straight up a wall where there's nothing to grab - like he might by accident in the street. If you're doing that, you can hold sideways and jump that direction, usually evading pursuers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afse_x3muYg&feature=youtu.be&t=29s

Again, though, if they've removed this since Ezio's games, that does suck.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm finally playing Halo 4 for the first time, thanks to the Master Chief Collection that came out today. My first major gripe... I'm guessing was a common one? I purposefully didn't read anything about the game before now.

These new enemies... specifically the Promethean Knights, take SO many hits. And they're aided and teleported by these flying guys that are as hard to hit as Drones, but can take way more damage. And in itself, this wouldn't be so bad; but this game's ammo seems more scarce than any other Halo I've played by a huge amount. I'll run into a Knight with three flying dudes by him with no ammo, and it's just the worst. Bleh.

The collection is still a great deal. Playing the old ones at 60fps is real nice.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Who wants to watch an awkward sex scene after the one guy cries about his dead husband in mass effect 3?

ME3 REALLY wanted me to give a poo poo about Cortez.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I find the games I like the best are the one's that give me every advantage, but then make the enemies and obstacles reach that level, rather than gimping me to make things challenging - aside from survival horror obvs. I think Ninja Gaiden for XBOX was a great example of this. I always felt like an untouchable human buzz saw, and then the game made the enemies reach that level, and it made the game high-octane and amazing.

I have that in mind with a minor gripe I have about Saint's Row 4. The game lets you zoom around, running faster than cars, but you have to come to a halt to fire a gun. So when I'm fighting the Wardens (tough, fast, behemoth enemies), I'll freeze them with my super powers, and then I have to come to a dead stop to start doing damage. I just kind of wish I could shoot from high speed, and that they balance that out by making those enemies tougher. It kills the momentum of the fight for me. Although, this is literally the only complaint I have with the game.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

ChaosArgate posted:

All over a clip that lasts like 5 seconds as a joke. Seriously they stop even trying to play up that part of Wonder Pink's character so fast that I almost forgot she's supposed to be a model.

Well, yeah, but then she transitions into a boy-crazy, make-up and shopping loving, hot-tempered character who constantly flirts with Vorkken, and who flies into a rage whenever someone insults her looks.

Not that it's not an awesome game, and if I had a WiiU, I'd get it; but come on.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The part where they had to just give you the story in text without you playing it at all bummed me out so bad. I just killed the game for me. That, and having to play as Lynx in Chrono Cross were my most disappointing Playstation 1 moments. I did get over that Lynx thing eventually. It's not so bad when you see it coming.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Austrian mook posted:

I actually like that, it means you can't just develop the same strategy each time. It's about your reflexes and quick thinking as opposed to route memory.

I really noticed this as it went on. At the beginning, I was too slow to out shoot anyone; but by the end, I could punch out a room of guys with no weapon if I had to.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm so glad I read what the 'reward' for 100 feather is Assassin's Creed 2 was ahead of time. I think I would've been mad about video games if they surprised me with that one. You really have to evaluate what type of player you are after learning that, I think.

If you don't know You get the "Auditore" cape, which, when worn, just makes the guards in Florence always be on high alert for you, and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

MrJacobs posted:

The cape makes it so the guards basically ignore you doing anything short of killing people or punching other guards in the face.

Your mom also speaks to you for the first time in 20 years. Those magic feathers can cure PTSD!

One of us has our capes mixed up.

MASSIVE CAPE RELATED SPOILERS!!

I thought Lorenzo gives you the Medici Cape - which does make you incognito.

Auditore made them always pissed at you - and that's the feather one.

Edit: Yeah, see.