Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I generally liked PvP well enough here and there in Destiny, but holy christ were there some times that were just pure misery. Most of those being parts of quests to do up exotic weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

im pooping! posted:

penumbra, amnesia and soma but as far as i know theres no option to ineffectively punch things in those three

You can however bludgeon wild dogs to death with a pick in Penumbra, even if that's only a temporary reprieve.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Grendel was a cool dude and I wanted more of him.

His reaction to killing the Crooked Man before a trial makes me laugh any time I see it.

"I'm GLAD he's fuckin dead. What are you all buddy-buddy with him all of a sudden? The gently caress is wrong with you."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

Making a set of story mode cutscenes exclusive to one of the hardest challenge modes in any game I've played seems like an insane way to spend your resources.

This exact kind of thing became an annoyance in WoW also, where they started attaching extra fights and actual big story scenes to doing raids on Mythic, which is the 'Repeated kicks in the groin difficulty', at least when said Mythic content is the current stuff.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I believe you will find that their RPGs are wildly popular.

To be honest that's despite most of their work by this point.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm playing the new Deus Ex and there's no option to join the church, turn on the establishment, and take over the world with my mind. This is bullshit squeenix.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sadly, the game you're looking for is Deus Ex Invisible War, which sucks.

Being able to say gently caress it to the big groups and go with the Omar in the end of Invisible War was pretty cool at least. Unfortunately yeah the game's not great.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

See the problem with wanting no stuns in Overwatch is that the game would straight up be nothing but uncatchable Tracers and Genjis times more than usual even, because that's how you stop them, that's the counter to them being so ridiculously mobile and flighty at all times, is that you have the ability available on X or Y people to make them sit down for even a second and die. That and while yes you can also just shoot these, quick stuns are pretty important for shutting out stuff like the Reaper that just jumped down into the middle of your team ulting and similar things. Like yeah it blows to get plain old stunned and fanned or whatever else too often at times, but the alternative outcome of them not being in the game is a whole, whole lot worse to think about.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

Normally I really don't like stuns as a mechanic but I can't imagine being so bad at Overwatch that being consistently stunned is an issue. Like...wow.

Might depend on when they played last honestly, cause for a good while there was that period of time when McCree could walk up to virtually every character in the game and vaporize them effortlessly with bang, fan, roll, fan.

It's changed now and all but boy will I admit that was a pretty agonizing thing to play against when it wasn't.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I legitimately love playing Roadhog for broken rear end hooks like this, goofy horseshit where I just hurl one out essentially for the laugh and then it actually manages a catch.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Man, any time I see things like this all I can think is "Boy, somebody got real assblasted over being called out for something"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Somfin posted:

We've seen the results of this attitude.

But Naked Snake, Joel, Frank West and FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan are all great though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

packetmantis posted:

This is outright untrue.

It's not though, unless they patched something. I remember trying the very same thing first time I got to him and it makes progressing further impossible, the doors of that general little area you meet him in all go locked.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Xen Tricks posted:

See: the transformation of TES lore and it's implementation in the games from Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim. Michael Kirkbride was a man wasted on an unworthy franchise

Out of all of them Oblivion is still the one I just can't deal with anymore. I don't care if Morrowind looks old or plays old or whatever, the world was cool, there was a ton to explore, it all felt very alien but workable. Then you go to Oblivion and it's the most dry, standard, ye olde kingdom land. I mean for Skyrim's faults at least it was enjoyable to run around in fantasy not-scandinavia for a little while.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The real thing dragging down TES is that we don't have a game set in Black Marsh. Give me lizardmen and their trippy shared mind sentient trees.

"As the apparent first inhabitants of Nirn, they are believed to have created the Argonian race; which may or may not make the Argonians the second oldest sentient race of mortals on Nirn, besides the Hist themselves."

"Hist sap has hallucinogenic properties when used by non-Argonian species, causing them to perceive civilians and actual enemies alike as hostile to them. Only Argonians may ingest the Hist sap to feel its full effects without negative reactions."

"The Hist also seem to have the ability to communicate telepathically with people who ingest their sap; though due to the negative reactions that non-Argonians often have when ingesting the sap, it is unknown how strong this link can exactly be for other races when compared to the Argonians themselves."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

swamp waste posted:

There were a bunch of sequels, I've never played em, but I'm glad that concept has survived.

They were all good and loyally followed in the same vein as the first, also 3 and 4 are both on steam nowadays too.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Croccers posted:

The newest Dead Rising is just completely removing the time mechanic because everyone bitched about it.

Thank god almighty. Like I don't mind SOME timed things in games, but as much as I love the Dead Rising games, sometimes when I felt like playing them serious it really did reduce the entire experience down to gaming and racing small objective timers. Thankfully they're fun games where you can also say gently caress it to the timers and run amok, Off The Record especially which just gives you a "Have fun buddy" infinite mode from square 1, but even still that gives me more reason to look forward to 4 or whatever subtitle they'll run with this time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The nidhogg looks cool as an even uglier beast, but boy yeah those player characters are kinda ehhhhhh.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

SotFS is a standalone thing, buying the $30 DS2 upgrade would only be worth it on the normal price where Scholar is $40, just buy SotFS for $10 and you're all set.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

You can switch off a lot of stuff in Darkest Dungeon at least, like it's just a straight up Y/N toggle for stuff like enemy corpses and some of that other junk.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

What exactly is the argument against the corpse mechanic that isn't just "it sucks, gently caress you"? I was under the impression it exists to force the player to actually interact with the rank system instead of frontloading their damage dealers and just stomping the enemy in order of appearance.

That seems to be it, because yeah the whole deal to it existing was so you can't just immediately conga line murder everything. Though even aside from the outright toggle being there for the whole mechanic, a good few characters even have certain shuffle moves that have like [Will clear all corpses from the field] as an additional effect as well. I dunno, a whole lot of the complaints about Darkest Dungeon just never seemed to bother me aside from yeah, it can be grindy to get a topped out roster of people for whatever.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

At the same time, even when they're interactive people more often than not I opt to just stab bandits and raiders up because they're horrible shitheads regardless of their history.

Although with something like Civ yeah it's particularly weird, because they have/have had so many civilizations that were "barbarians" to one place or time or another but they don't get thrown under the bus like that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Fallout 4 raiders are really disappointing. So many landmarks and locations I kept hoping that maybe this is the one where there will be a neutral group of raiders. Maybe I can gamble with them at this race track. Or bet on those dudes fighting to the death in that boxing ring. But nope.

This started to piss me off the more I went into that game. The whole thing was disappointing for most of it, the main story being terrible and your character being railroaded and so on, but god were there so many neat set pieces they did literally nothing with as well. Oh a robot race track and I can hear a guy obviously commentating, cool I wonder if- [Gunfire from 20 sides]. Well that sucked, oh there's a deathmatch ring? poo poo yeah hey peo- [Gunfire rains from above]. Well how about this spooky witchcraft museum? Surely that's co- oh it's just a big deathclaw, meh.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dishonored in the normal story and the Daud DLC both had some bits like that if I remember right.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

To be honest so are they, people just pile on "MOBAs" because it's the easy/popular one to blame, but I'll be damned if I haven't also met plenty of nice and cool people I've stayed buddies with on them, compared to the jumble of Call of Duty's and Battlefields and Counter-Strikes I've also played where all I can remember for massive strings of time in most of them is just the absolutely miserable shitbag human beings I was around. All genres are filled with awful people that are gonna be assholes because internet anonymity, but they all have helpful and good communities in them as well if you just look.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Is Overwatch a MOBA?

Nope, it's just an objective-based team FPS.

Well actually if you wanna be goofy about it, virtually every game could be because "MOBA" is a stupid shorthand. "Multiplayer Online Battle Arena" or whatever that first got coined back in HoN.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

Fighting games are really bad about this too, I think.

Nooooo, fighting games are the very opposite of that once you ratchet the difficulty up higher, they just start very blatantly reading your inputs and dial the CPU reaction time up to 11.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

All the Splinter Cell games are on a big sale right now and I thought about getting them, until I remembered they pretty much all have really rough port jobs done on them. The mouse wheel sneak sensitivity, crashing really often, I think Conviction requiring lovely uplay and another launcher you actually have to download separate. Also even if you have a controller, apparently they're janky to get working with those at all as well since they didn't come with any default controller kinda recognition or something. I loved those games but dammit, not gonna deal with all that headache.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Witcher 3 looks absolutely gorgeous but it comes at a high price- the menus are laggy and the loading times when you die are insane. I turned down the difficulty from Hard to Medium because I just can't stomach sitting through 30+ seconds of loading every time I die.

On a console version? Cause the loading hasn't been that bad for me on PC, not even running some fancy mega computer either.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The .444 Bear Killer in E.Y.E. will never stop feeling awesome to shoot, blasting choppers out of the air with a big honking revolver is cool as hell.

"The most powerful pistol ever made, with an overall length of 348 mm, a barrel length of 237 mm, a weight of 2105 g and a maximun effective range of 1000 m. A tale deals with a man, one day, lost in the forest, who was attacked by a very angry and wounded bear. The man managed to kill the animal with his bare hands. A Techno-Monk of the Holy Forge passed-by and saw the scene. Some days later, the man woke up and found a very strange and heavy pistol beside him; a pistol that could disembowel a bear with a single bullet, and that could even kill several aligned bears in a single shot. The fame of this weapon comes mainly from its unequaled power as a pistol, but also from its unbelievable accuracy. Its recoil, however, is terrific."

And as a token on-topic bit, I wouldn't much say it's dragging the game down so bad, but E.Y.E. has one of the most :psyduck: translation jobs at times.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Nov 3, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Wasteland 2 did exactly that thing people want, if you don't like how any of the portraits match up, you can just have it take a snapshot of your character however you have them positioned in the view off to the side.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I wanted to like the idea of DA2, that it was a big major city or whatever and changes were supposed to happen between big groups and how it's ruled or whatever and things, but then just none of that happened and it was a single pretty boring locale you were in forever.

Inquisition however is good and fun from what I've played on PS4, plus hey, I don't get railroaded into being a boring human in a setting full of neat fantasy races this time, when I was allowed to also be a dwarf duder in Origins, which you can add to another thing dragging DA2 down for me. If your game is set in some ye olde fantasy setting, please, please, please don't railroad me into being another dull human protag. Let me be an orc, a troll, an elf, a whatever just something more flavorful if I'm gonna be playing in some fantastical setting in the first place.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Nov 13, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

It was pushed out the door by the publisher long before it was finished, if it was an Obsidian game people would still be singing its praises and deflecting every criticism leveled against it but since it's by a developer that's trendy to hate it gets no such benefit of the doubt.

No? Bioware were still plenty liked at the time, DA2 sank because it was really poorly done for the most part, get out with this dumb "hurr hurr goon bias" stuff I assume you're trying to drum up.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Leal posted:

Battlefield 1: The violence is so.. sterilized. You know what I'm thinking of when people bayonet charge from a trench and eat a mortar or tank shell? I'm imagining limbs and poo poo flying around and blood splattering the immediate area. I really think the only reason this game is rated M is because they say gently caress a few times, other then that this game's violence and "gore" can fly in a T game.

Titanfall 2 has people explode into delicious meat chunks when blown up, what are you too good for my lusts of violence Battlefield?

World at War for CoD also had some pretty good gore in it, which they then shied away from again later I guess. If you point blanked a guy with the sawn-off or sniped someone with the big honking rifles, his legs or whatever else blew the hell off.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Digirat posted:

Battlefield has never been gory and all of them up through 2142 didn't show blood either. It's a nice bit of restraint you don't see in a lot of violent AAA games now and I'm glad they didn't use WWI as an excuse to change that

Yeah I don't want super crazy gore myself, I've just always found it kinda weird that's like absolutely none in a whole lot of the shootbang war games.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I really dunno what people's problem with Witcher 3's combat is.

My first playthrough was on hard and barring stuff like fighting a wraith and a fiend way over my level at one point, I was never having some issue killing things or getting Geralt to move how I wanted. :shrug:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

dordreff posted:

So you're not just an unlikeable shithead, you're a pointless unlikeable shithead. Definitely glad to have returned that poo poo, then.

It sounds like you just legitimately hate silly fun if the MC quipping was enough to make you furiously mash on refund in 10 minutes, good lord man.

Schubalts posted:

Why the gently caress?

:dice:

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Nov 27, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The thing dragging down Borderlands is that they aren't all written as well and fun as Tales from the Borderlands. Like from the first game the setting has sounded really neat, it's just that a FPS-ARPG is really not the game to take advantage of it.

Also I like Tales from the Borderlands just for being a thing you can point to when people get all whipped up about how Telltale can't do anything right ever anymore or something. When they have the right material they still make good stuff, but then you give really anyone Minecraft and tell them to make it into a compelling story and you get :effort: as you should kind of expect.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Nov 28, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Having enjoyed all the Witcher games a bunch, I just recently restarted 2 (And I'll likely do another run of 3 some time after) after a long ole time of not thinking about it at all and man, it's not renewed-ly surprising or anything but boy do I still really hate the side you're generally supposed to be on. Even in 3 all I could ever think is "Why do I want to oppose Nilfgaard again, the North loving sucks" and pretty much took every option to undermine the notable people of it. At least I got some satisfaction there in 3 when a chunk of my ending summed up like "And then Nilfgaard walked straight into Novigrad, put steel black boots to witch hunter skulls, then promptly bulldozed Redania."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Tiggum posted:

"The role they expect me to play in this role playing game is not the role I would have chosen if I'd made it myself." Have you never played a video game before? That's how they work.

The previous games, including back to ye olde isometric 1 and 2, just gave you a good vague background to go off. Fallout 1: You're a resident of Vault 13 tasked to go find a new water chip. Fallout 2: You're a tribal from Arroyo sent to find a GECK for your village. Now the issue in 4 is that you're not given that, you're given THIS IS YOU, YOU ARE [Nate/Nora], THIS IS YOUR [Wife/Husband], YOU LOVE THEM, THIS IS YOUR CHILD, YOU LOVE HIM. Yes, I know many other RPGs make you play a more already-made-up character, the problem there is that Fallout 4's PC is also not as good as those at being a plain old character either. Then even if you go by the "But just don't ever do the story, don't pay attention to it!" stuff, it STILL manages to worm it's way in often enough just because so much of the FO4 main character's motivation anyway is still SHAAAAAAAUN, SHAUN?!

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Thing dragging Fallout 4 down, voiced protagonist, for the love of god I hope they learned to just drop it.

Not only were they plain old not good and kinda damaged the whole RP aspect, you have to assume that the writing also taking a dive more than usual is a side-effect of that as well. With every single 'extra' line having a price tag on it now, it was even more reason for them to not make that great of divergent paths in dialogue, not take your skills into account for dialogue checks, not really allow for very interesting ways to take your character in personality other than "Milquetoast as hell dad/mom" also just because no matter what you do in 4, you're almost always taken like just a swell guy even if you're trying to be evil or dickish any chance given, because I guess reputations were too good of a thing to keep around.

It's not even a HEH GOONS AMIRITE thing either, it looked like a bunch of even your average whoever gamers didn't really like it either, either because again they thought the VAs were bad or because it felt like there was less meaningful and less in general dialogue than ever. Also before the bad argument comes, yes, the game sold plenty, it's a friggin AAA game from a dev that gets an insane amount of slack cut to them so of course it did, things have still changed in massively selling AAA games because people didn't like parts.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Dec 2, 2016