Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Titan Quest loving rules. But it kills me, utterly, that when I tab to another window, the game pauses. I want to tab away and gently caress around on SA or something for a minute and come back, but when I do that TQ certainly hasn't loaded anything or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Poulpe posted:

Why stop there? Anyone remember any of the bright architecture decisions in Resident Evil 3?

:downs::"Hey guys, how should we lock City Hall?"
:pseudo::"How about a series of 12 gems attached to an electronic device embedded into a clock?"

:downs::"Where should I keep this backup battery?"
:pseudo::"How about in the statue of the mayor! If you want the battery out all you have to do is swap his book for a sundial!"

Look if the Chief of Police can go take a crap without risk of decapitation, it's a bad Police HQ. :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sad lions posted:

Trick statement. There isn't a single bathroom in the whole building.

Trap sprung. :smugbird:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

SpookyLizard posted:

This is basically what started killing my interest in Bioshock Infinite.

You start in some area, you have the option to go left or right. You go left and there isn't much there, you go right, then you find out you have to go left to be able to go right, and now you can go all the way left, to be able to come back and go right.

It's really, really, really lame.

I have thirty one minutes in BI because of this. It was utterly tedious bullshit and I knew I regretted my purchase, however discounted, right then.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Accordion Man posted:

2 exists and will always be the worst Final Fantasy no matter how much the fans have argued over the rest of the series for so many years. Not even God Emperor of Hell David Bowie could save 2.

I will fight you. 2 is one of the best FFs.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

WickedHate posted:

The original, NES 2? Because that game was garbage intentionally made to be as punishing and unfair as possible. Dawn of Souls redeemed it.

Oh, yeah, been a loooong time since I touched the original but I played Dawn of Souls recently and really loved it.

DStecks posted:

I will never understand the people who thought that Mass Effect 2 was in any way inferior to the original.

Although ME had copy-pasted worlds and bad inventory management, the proper solutions to those problems were not to throw away any and all sense of exploration and wonder, and to do away with the inventory completely, respectively. Mass Effect was a wonderful huge ridiculously great game brought down by a couple of negatives; Mass Effect 2 was a pretty generic squad shooter which was mostly average but elevated to excellence at a couple of points anytime Mordin was around.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

kazil posted:

Yeah, besides bad shooting, terrible inventory, copy and paste planets, the terrible buggy, convoluted plot and elevators, ME1 was perfect :rolleyes:

I don't understand why everyone thought ME1 had these rich space exploration side to it. Every planet was basically the same. At least ME2 had the decency to have good shooter mechanics.

The mileau, detail put into stuff like the codex, and the fact that story-related worlds were all really cool. It felt like you were actually exploring and tackling a mystery.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oxxidation posted:

They're mostly PC gamers, who confuse tedious drudgery with something that is not tedious drudgery. Just look at The Witcher, which is basically the patron saint of that type of thinking.

But I don't like The Witcher, precisely because it's tedious drudgery :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Cleretic posted:

As the resident person with The Wrong Opinions in regards to western RPGs (Oblivion is better than Skyrim, by the way), I will step up to bat for ME1.

Hahaha, well poo poo I withdraw all my criticism of ME2.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

We go over this every time NV comes up. rope kid has said the inability to get more detail and complexity to the Legion behind the front lines is one of his regrets with NV. But yeah basically the Big C really is a nerdy LARPer who thinks Rome is the coolest poo poo and has managed to use its imagery combined with his tactical and strategic knowledge to corral a shitload of tribes together and become a powerful warlord. One thing though, he doesn't have a Rome because New Vegas is to be his Rome - he intends to conquer Nevada and California and use their strengths with the Legion's own power in order to actually create a new society.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If games in general tried to use mythology other than Greek, Norse, Egyptian, and Japanese would just be great.

I want to storm through the Andes as the avatar of Quetzalcoatl as we invade for the glory of the Emperor and to acquire sacrifices to stop the world dying.

On the topic of load times, holy poo poo are the ones in UFC Undisputed 3 long. I love the game and I've been doing some career mode lately but I swear I spend longer looking at loading screens than I do playing the drat thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

kazil posted:

Quetzalcoatl is an Aztec god and the Incans were in the Andes :colbert:

This is why we can't have nice things.

Yes, which is why we are invading the Andes. :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I wanted to like Alien Isolation. I really did. But all it did is remind me why I don't like most survival horror. Ripley controls like she just arrived from the USCSS Resident Evil 1 and has all the pep in her step of a woman who needs to pee moderately badly. If the only way to make a game scary is by gimping the character, it is not for me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The mere possibility of another game doing fishing as well as Breath of Fire III justifies any number of attempts at such minigames.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ryoshi posted:

I really like Destiny a lot but some of the challenges are just stupidly difficult if you don't outright cheese them by hiding in some obscure corner where the spawns can't hit you.

I like Destiny a whole lot too, but I can't stand that I have to go onto Bungie's goddamn website just to read lore poo poo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DStecks posted:

Yeah and gently caress games that give you poo poo like quest logs too, you should be forced to use a paper notebook like back in the good old days. And gently caress maps too, and gently caress saving your game at all, if you wanna play a game you should do the whole thing in one hideous sitting like it's Turtles in Time

Unironically all of this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DStecks posted:

And whatever, you can have all of it, there are games that do that well and are really cool for doing it well; but some percentage of the population gets morally loving offended that every game isn't that.

Casuals gotta learn :colbert: When I was a kid finishing a game meant something :corsair:

Seriously though, I think it's great that there is diversity in games not just in tone or genre but difficulty and stuff too. There are definitely some games where Ironman is a great idea (X-Com, CK2) because the importance of decisions meaningfully improves the gameplay, or even games where a total absence of notes or whatever is core to the experience of exploration and mastery (Dark Souls being an obvious one here). But if ALL games were like that it would be a terrible thing, and I don't find the absence of any way to know where you are and what you are doing to be very compelling. Games like FF 13 that fill you in on the loading screen (or by being a straight fuckin' line :v:) are almost always right to do that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ah gently caress, I'm a pretty big fan of GTA V (Like IV did, it has grown on me over time) but it shatters my balls that it's so easy to lose, permanently, purchased cars and poo poo. I bought a baller (not Balla, gently caress those bustas) car with the first heist's pay as Franklin, tricked the whip out crazy good, spent about $300,000 all told, and promptly had to use another car in some mission I drove to. My ride then disappeared. It never showed up again, not after the mission, not in my garage, outside my house, or in the impound lot.

Is it so loving hard to have stuff you actually buy automatically return to your garage if you lose or destroy them? Hell, charge a fee for it, but other games have had this figured out years ago. What's the point in buying the car if you can't use them whenever you're doing anything because it'll get deleted from reality or some poo poo?

Ms Adequate has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Dec 18, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

sforzacio posted:

What the gently caress.

That was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I need to pick this up immediately.

It's like $ No Excuse dollars on Steam right now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's not any more ridiculous than Dick Cheney being a literal poo poo-shoveler, the military being comically inept.while armchair generals own them, or all the dumb vapid celebrities turning their zombie bunker into a reality show and being left to die because their bodyguard is disgusted by how big a whore Paris Hilton is.

World War Z is a very silly book that nerds take way too seriously because the moral of the book is that nerds are awesome and will rule everything when all the big stupid popular kids lose their power in the zombie uprising.

I think we nerds take it too seriously because despite the silliness that you outline, it does also make a comprehensive effort at explaining why things go down the way they do and to paint a sensible global picture. And for every silly thing or love of 19th-century military tactics, there's also a well-written thing about the toll listening to radio calls for help took or how people still adore, make use of, and care about dogs or whatever. It's just nice to see something other than The Walking Dead "Everyone Is Terrible You Will Die" style stuff. :shobon:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

House is voiced by Odo so House erry day.

FFXIII-2 is a bit better with options and stuff than XIII on PC was, but why the hell are my only windowed mode options 1280x800 and 1920x1080? What if I want a window with literally any other loving size?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lord Lambeth posted:

Sera is the worst person in the game so she doesn't count.

Yeah, a scene where Sera is fully clothing isn't any less awkward.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

FactsAreUseless posted:

Doesn't matter because canonically, the whole island is blown up by a meteor.

It is a stupid series.

No you are stupid.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ArtIsResistance posted:

Nerds get worked up when you call Obsidian bad because they think storytelling in videogames is the highest form of art and when you explain to them that videogames are intended for kids it forces them to look inside themselves.

What sort of liberal schools do your kids go to, that you think rape and genocide are appropriate topics for them?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

video games are for children

N... no! :negative:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm also pretty sure the game wouldn't fly in germany if they actually had hitler in it.

It was a lot easier to get games to fly when they came on disks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I did enjoy the a esthetics of FO3 but most of it was warmed up dog poo poo. NV was flawed but I cared way more. The immediate scope of a threat is not nearly so important as immersion and believable characters and poo poo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

RBA Starblade posted:

The Legion is in the long term a non-issue because the game makes sure you know that it will fall apart the moment Caeser dies. And even if you don't shoot him, he's old and is currently dying of brain cancer. Even if you cure it yourself, the game explains that he's the one thing holding it together since they're all just raiders and slavers and rapists from like 90 different tribes Caesar conquered but otherwise have no ties. The ensuing power struggle would bring it down. It's just a supermassive cult of personality. It also explains that it can't take the NCR because it would take the whole army to effectively occupy it, meaning it collapses anyway. It cannot win no matter what. This is supposedly balanced by the NCR being too big and bloated for its own good and straining under its own weight.

Me too, I think both FO3 and NV are excellent games, despite their gigantic flaws. Same with the Elder Scrolls! I wish I would stop forgetting to install that mod though.

Thing is Caesar intends for New Vegas to be his Rome and if he takes it, he may well be able to establish succession and so on.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nobody ever denied that poo poo like Deathclaws isn't intended to direct the player, and I have never heard the idea that all content should be equally accessible at all levels in an open world game. We saw how that works in Oblivion and it was loving awful.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

SiKboy posted:

You've never heard of it except for in the game you know about where it is implimented?

Fug. I am really sick lately. I have heard it once. :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

RBA Starblade posted:

Barriers to parts of the world are fine, but when your barriers are "high level enemies" and you put it next to the very start of the game and you then design the map to be so open that they can wander in and murder npcs (and you) with nothing able to stop them, the solution is to redesign the map, not putting up invisible walls. Though my particular complaint was I kept hitting walls that were there for no reason at all other than to make you take a longer route. No enemies or anything in the way, I just had to go several minutes around a thing instead of over the thing I was already at the top of but not allowed to move forward through.

I never heard of NPCs getting killed myself but yeah I can't argue that it is bullshit, as are straight-up invisible walls. I never had nearly as many problems in NV as I did in 3 so I guess that colors my view.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Half of loving Cyrodiil was invulnerable, I can't even play that game without mods that turn most people killable. Oblivion has literally the exact opposite problem and you will frequently come across random assholes you can't kill because of some bullshit side quest they have one line in or something.

The game should be far more brutal in that regard, given there is a huge daedric invasion going on but it is never more than a minor inconvenience, but if people genuinely want a totally sanitized experience where absolutely nothing happens except at the hands of the player, I guess I can't blame Bethesda.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you guys make it sound like Skyrim has a dynamic gameworld where the available sidequests and content change every time depending on how the NPCs' own stories, lives and deaths play out, which would own. It does not

Open Cities + more dragon attacks + shitloads of new or additional monsters = :getin: I once had half of Whiterun dead from Dragon attacks and it was great. Not because it locked me out of stuff, but because it made it feel like there were real stakes.

I totally understand that it is not what everyone wants but man, I love when Morrowind would just say "Welp, you hosed it up, good luck completing the MQ now, shitlord"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Inco posted:

I'm almost positive this is a thing going all the way back to Vice City, if not GTAIII or the original GTA itself.

At least to III.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

2house2fly posted:

I wonder if real cops ever experience the phenomenon I did in True Crime NYC, where pedestrians constantly would leap from the sidewalk into the path of my car, killing themselves instantly and tanking my Good Cop Points.

Probably not but they do experience a lot of people objecting to having drugs planted on them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

They also patched this pretty quickly but I was without internet for a month when I played it so I got to suffer through it when a specific spell would glitch out. Sometimes an enemy would cast Swarm of Insects which is a damage over time spell, and a pretty powerful one at that. If combat ended too soon or in a way it didn't agree with all my characters with it on them would suddenly get it permanently. Resting wouldn't get rid of it. Casting spells wouldn't get rid of it. Letting their health and endurance run out so they collapse and technically "die", then come back wouldn't get rid of it. I'd have to go to a save before the fight and redo it otherwise all my characters would be stuck with a swarm of wasps stinging them to death.

Durance does say you will be tested.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lookit all these little bitch-rear end Americans never grew up with Dark Aeons everywhere.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ZeusCannon posted:

All this talk of yojimbo made me look up Gilgamesh from FFVIII. Because I liked the way he looked and forgot how he was acquired what he did.

.. and I found out apparently he is a dimensional hopping something and is the same character throughout all the FF games and has a storyline and wow why did I ever think poo poo like this was cool.

Sorry but Gilly is cool and good and you are a nerd if you don't love him

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah the slow death of splitscreen and couch co-op is pretty sad, I spent a long time as a kid with friends dicking around in various splitscreen games. My fiancee and I played through Diablo 3 together on 360 recently and it was great, I hope the next generation doesn't totally abandon that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh this is all true except it does not take "minutes" to lose wanted level, especially if you're inside your apartment and fully safe. Time it next time dude, you're exaggerating. Its like 30 seconds tops.

I've been running through the game on 5 stars travelling across the game as fast as possible in an inferno and I never had cops spawn on me. Trust me it doesn't have to happen. Something is hosed up with your configuration or your hardware. You on max settings? I guess maybe on lower settings that could be an issue, but I'm on max and its never even remotely happened.

I've never even seen a car spawn on screen, much less a cop car. Sounds like its not spawning so much as your computer isn't rendering it until its too late for you to respond to.

Nah I've rarely had trouble escaping the cops but there definitely seems to be a random element to how long they take to give up. I've had 1 and 2 stars occasionally take several minutes, and I've had 4 and 5 stars occasionally take like 20 to 30 seconds.

I've never seen cops spawn on-screen either but I've seen them appear on the minimap when they're in cone vision mode. Plus there are definitely times when the cops are ostensibly not aware of my location but just beeline straight for me - I think it's just a shortcoming in the AI that does this because more often they seem to search in reasonably sensible patterns or just patrol around, but I can absolutely remember some occasions where they had no means of knowing where I am, but came right at me without any hesitation.