Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

StarMinstrel posted:

More Watch Dogs

Making me feel like I have massive cognitive dissonance by having the PC rant about justice non stop and then commiting crimes like a lunatic.
I like how if you use a transformer or steam pipe to explode someone you get bad-boy points.
But if you hack traffic lights and a car gets set on fire THEN explodes and kills people, it's ok!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Another thing about Watch Dogs is that you can actually shoot enemies without killing them. The game makes a distinction between "neutralizing" an enemy and killing them.
You get more EXP for headshotting them rather than just plain killing or neutralizing them though. NPCs treat batoned characters as dead though so double :v:
Neutralized enemies roll around on the ground groaning and clutching like GTA does at least.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

This distinction is kind of funny in the Batman Arkham games. I'll take the game's word that Batman isn't actually killing these guys, but I bet some of them spend the rest of their lifes hooked up to ventilators and feeding tubes, or at least severely disabled.

Crippling Police for life is slightly better than murdering them! :eng101:
I mean... they're right but you know, you still really shouldn't encourage shooting police.
Actually the Scarface game had an interesting way of handling police.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Playing on a keyboard requires you to do quite a bit of finger gymnastics unless you spend a good while rebinding the keys.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Paper Diamonds posted:

In GTA5 they make it even easier. Just pull off into an alley once your out of line of sight. Hop out of the car and stay ducked behind a bush or something and wait 60 seconds.
Honestly I love the cops in the GTA games, they're fun to play with and outsmart. I think people might miss some of the subtler points of they way they work and instead just try to haul rear end down the freeway to get away.
Apart from the fact that they always have a general idea of where you are so even if you lose them then duck through five different streets the game will spawn a patrol will still spawn and stop near you and search the area. Or if you get a 3+ Star, have fun evading the constantly respawning choppers (Even if you're on mountains and constantly sniping out their rotors, the game will summon them right in front of your eyes) if you don't have something to hide under. And of course that chopper is going to bee-line for you even if it hasn't spotted you.

They're psychic thought-crime cops that home in on your location even if they haven't seen you turn down several streets/blocks after you've lost them. You're rarely doing anything clever to escape them.
Most chases for me end up hiding behind a car parked into a corner, car riddled with bullet-holes that they shot up twenty seconds ago as I hide behind the thing blocking their LoS.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Paper Diamonds posted:

Evade better. It is very possible to hide and watch the cops search far away in the wrong location. Break LOS. Switch cars. Take smaller paths. Climb stuff.
So exploit the AI by hiding/moving into locations it can't navigate? They'll still send officers into the location to look around for you. Bushes only kind of work at lower levels and if they get too close because they wander over to your spot somehow anyway.
The car thing kinda works too, depends on the level of the stars. 1 and 2 will just send a few cars past you, 3+ will just constantly spawn patrol cars (And helicopter/s) in the streets.

What are the other actiony options that isn't

Paper Diamonds posted:

Everybody always says "YOU JUST HAVE TO DRIVE REALLY FAST OUT OF THEIR SEARCH AREA" which is untrue.
Meleeing/shooting with a silenced weapon at any police in the back of the head that's searching around a corner not even facing you when alone will reignite the stars.
There's no crazy chase-ending things to hit like in the Need For Speed games.

Also waiting for a minute for 1/2 stars is bullshit. You only have to hide for a minute/two on the harder Heat levels in Watch Dogs. They're also not bullshit psychic cops that head your location even if they didn't see you move there. At the very least their bullshit crime detecting powers have the shoddy CTos explanation.

The issue isn't the evading of the police itself, it's the lovely AI that stacks against you to rediscover by being unfair or blatantly cheating. Plenty of other games have handled this better.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

GyverMac posted:

Yeah GTA V's psychic thought crime cops are litterally the worst. It really made the game a chore.

The worst example of this was when i was on top of a mountain. I wanted to check out the view so i exited the car, and walked over to the edge. I accidentally bumped into some hitch-hiker person standing there. I looked at him, and he took out his phone, and called the cops. One second later i got 1 star and a cop car came rushing up the hill, it obviously spawned right outside my FOV. Cue me hussling back into the car spending 5 minutes trying to avoid the cops instead of enjoying the view.
When on GTAO, a mate and I managed to glitch underwater.
We explored an underwater UFO

I accidentally shanked him at one point.
1 star wanted level attained. :downs:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The PS Move controllers were pretty dang accurate and responsive.
They were also PS Move controllers :(
I just wanted beefed-up, decent controlling Wii games from it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Far Cry 1 - the original, dunno about the weird Xbox spinoffs - was a great game up until the annoying supermutant poo poo. Would've been better with quicksave, definitely, but it's a fine FPS.

John Murdoch posted:

I seem to recall hearing that the console version was actually better. Even though the premise was a touch goofier, having powers made all the bullshit in FC1 more bearable. :v:
In the Xbox spin offs, you got the supermutant poo poo (To fight the supermutants with). Regenning health, super speed, super strength, super vision.
It even got a sequel, Evolution. It had a tree-village gun fight.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This was made so that kids with motor problems and deformed hands could play videogames, so making fun of that is kind of dick move.
And now it's marketed for MLG Gamers.
http://www.avengercontroller.com/
http://www.avengercontroller.com/faq.html

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Tactics_2

The concept itself is a neat idea. Nature is coming back to the wasteland but not the way humans like it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

Also it's cool to do slow motion shootouts in the game but I didn't like how you had to trigger them with stunts instead of having a dedicated button for it. It works when you vault over cover but it was a crapshoot if it activated when you're shooting from your car.
Isn't there two levels of slowmo when driving? A general one when you pull your gun out (which you can use to abuse driving records I believe), then an even slower one as you aim over someone/car tires.
I remember dubstep wubbing if you wiggle the mouse over someone hanging out of a car.
Also if you're just trying to get through a driving shootout and ignore scores, just tire-shot every day. Nearly every car in the game action-movie flips from 1-2 tire shots.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Celery Face posted:

Bully is funnier than any GTA game.
Bully is amazing and I want my Bully 2 so I can give kids wedgies and push them down stairs with Euphoria physics and oh my god Rockstar get your loving head out of your arse already. You love your stupid ham-fisted cynicism, I'm pretty sure you could beat something out of the American education system into a video game. GTA5's story line was pretty much downer after downer after downer.
There's rumours of a new Rockstar title for 2015 and the rumour-mill seems to be set on Sequels. It also could be loving Agent, that would be the best.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Byzantine posted:

I don't remember San Andreas being up its own rear end with ~nihilism~.

I do remember a jetpack. Maybe Niko would be happier if he had a jetpack.
I couldn't help but picture this but as Niko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvauZAsWjwM

But that would make GTA4 not super-depressive.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

PancakeTransmission posted:

Watch Dogs does exactly this which led to everyone constantly pausing to check if they were being invaded, which gives them some time to prepare (hide in a spot with no cameras facing you, shoot anyone that isn't moving exactly like a civilian.)
Pausing? Just hit your slow-mo powers every now and again, if another player is in your game it won't slow down :smug:
(I liked baiting out players to the docks/dead ends sitting in a truck and ramming them)

Who What Now posted:

I'd say that augmentations would be allowed but their performance capabilities would be very tightly regulated and watched so as to keep them firmly in the bounds of human capability. In fact wouldn't be inconceivable to have a market specifically for sports-grade augmentations. And with physical capabilities locked down then experience, talent, and skill would become more valuable, rather than relying on someone being some sort of generic freak to get your big break into the sports world.
Wouldn't this bend back around to this?

Mikl posted:

- Would you cut off your arm to get a robo-arm so you can play pro-sports?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I swear I remember reading an article that NPC's move like they've drank 2 liters of energy drinks then starting having an epileptic fit when talking to PC's because the average gamer as the attention span of a 5 year old and will stop paying attention to what's going on if they're not flailing around like someone on fire getting chased by bees.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Uplink had the whole 'gently caress you, the story will go on without you if you don't bite at it' thing going for it. I'm not sure if the story left you behind once you started it but if you didn't bite at the bait the whole thing played out through news updates and emails.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've only played Uncharted 3 but this exactly mirrors my experience with a few fights at the end of that game. :v:

The gameplay really degenerates into choreography after awhile.
Uncharted 3 doesn't drag on with the supernatural enemies for as long as 1/2 does.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I do. I also liked Desmond, and the aliens stuff. gently caress you for being among the vocal assholes who kept me from getting a full game of him.
IMO I would of liked a modern/future based AC where I actually got to play as Desmond and be useful.
The dumb alien stuff would of been a passable video game story on it's own, but the way they told it, it just got in the way of nearly everything the game actually was.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

The problem with a modern AssCreed game is that firearms make hidden blades obsolete. You can see this in AC3 and 4 where they go to great lengths to give you time to use a human shield when all it would take is a few snap shots from a pistol to turn your assassin rear end into fertilizer. The only time you see a handgun is at the end of AC3 and which Desmond makes quick work of with the MacGuffin by making the guard shoot himself. All Abstergo needs to do to take care of the assassins is to make their guards carry guns and not be pussies.
Take a book out of Hong Kong in DX with the Gun Sensor thing or whatever. You can shoot your gun/guns but holy gently caress do you almost instantly call down the wrath of hell on you for it and you have to run like gently caress to escape where using blades/batons/close combat doesn't cause a city-wide alert. The Saboteur had if you reached the highest level of alert you had planes strafing you and tanks and everything. You only had a limited amount of hiding spots to actually lose that alert.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Well right-click/trigger still allows you to aim, so it doesn't gimp you if you have a super accurate pistol with a scope. But I rely on high damage/accuracy revolvers so that doesn't affect me anyway.
Or you know like, first click fires Right gun, second fires Left and it just loving alternates.
:wtc:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah, not only were the rewards better, it handed them out at intervals. So even if you never got more than 20 packages you at least got something in return. Beyond an achievement you just could get an attack chopper in GTA IV. A reward that I quote "hardly ever spawns" and "there are other spawn points for the Annihilator which are easily accessible without the need to kill the Flying Rats, effectively rendering the helicopter as a reward useless".
GTA 5 gave you a slightly glowing buggy with a silly horn that was your ONLY copy of the car. If you broke or lost it before putting it in a garage hope you have a save just before you claimed it.
You had to collect 50 little spaceship parts scattered around the whole game world. On the top of bridges, on roofs, in the middle of no-where, the subway tunnels, etc. http://au.ign.com/wikis/gta-5/Spaceship_Parts

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I like the way that games like Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex, and Mass Effect handle "optional" content: every playthrough uses the same maps, missions, and general story beats yet because the game remembers all the minor decisions you made and acknowledges them (even if it doesn't have an actual effect beyond determining whose voice will be on your radio in a mission or what NPC is chilling in a bar and what item they give you) it feels more specialized and memorable than games that lock you out of broad swaths of content based on your choices.
AP does lock out tons of small pieces of content though. Fighting Malburg, fighting the Russian's Olympic bodyguard, meeting Steven Heck last means less poo poo you can plan with Steven Heck.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Wolfenstein New Order has some really cool areas The Moon. Submarine. but you never really get to stick around them too long, the game shuffling you back to Generic Land instead like bridges, camps and buildings :(

TheSpiritFox posted:

Example? Wasteland 2 you have a very early choice to save one place at the expense of another. That is a choice, you are explicitly provided with that choice. What would drive Tiggum batshit insane is if there were a hidden third choice which you would only find by going and searching all over the place and uncovering a third location on the other side of the map from the two provided choices where you could save that third place and change the story yet again, but nowhere were you told about this choice or that the option existed.
Yes and no-ish here. There is a third choice.
Don't go to any place. Eventually both will fall.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

There are some vents along the side of the room and some cabinets or something that'll get you about half way, if I recall correctly.

A tip for the third boss and the final boss event thing in Deus Ex: HR: you'll want the eye upgrade that lets you see cloaked enemies through walls and the experimental laser weapon I think you first find in the Harvesters' hideout. It can shoot through walls, so those two things together keep him from sneaking up on you.

Can you still glitch him out and Melee-Takedown him when he hops over a wall?
You can also just get the Auto-Aim/Seeker mod for the assault rifle and blind-fire him to death.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

kazil posted:

(The hacking minigame in AP is also the literal worst hacking minigame of all time)
Finding the words/numbers in the jumble?
Works fine with a controller.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

You missed the greatest thing, 12 gauge coinshot. But with legion coins being somewhat rare, and each shell requiring 8 coins, I found that the fun with it was always fairly short-lived.

Grand Theft Auto Online's editor is full of annoying things.
Placing spawn points for deathmatch/captures is stupid fiddly as super hell. If you are trying to place it near an object and you bump the marker into the object, it won't place if you nudge back to the clear area, you have to move it away it another clear area then move back over :psyduck:
You can't snap fences/objects together. You have to constantly pick up and place the object to line it up without huge gaps. There's no fine control/rotating.
I'm honestly surprised they haven't patched out stacking objects yet IMO.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I don't like the controls, either - circle to reload? Square to jump? Why?
Because that's how it was in GTA 4. MP3 had reload on O/B but Square/X was the Cover button.
GTA 5 uses the same scheme.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I wonder how much of people's criticisms about regenerating health is rooted in the awful design decision to mute all sound and fill the screen with pulsing redness when hurt? Not to say the criticisms aren't otherwise warranted.
Then you have the other side of the stick where you don't get enough notice and suddenly you're falling over dead and you're just left confused.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I assumed it tied into the Deadly Descents thing it had going.
I quite liked the SSX reboot apart from the lack of a city track.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Good beards in character customizers seem to be getting rarer, so many games opt for a lovely texture job that looks like the character rubbed some charcoal on their chin.
:byodood: WE NEED THE EXTRA PIXELS SO WE CAN REACH 1080p60FPS
Because you know, instead of actual quality art assets or making a nice/interesting/cool visual style we need more p's and funspersecond.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Catpain Slack posted:

Then again, running a game windowed might decrease performance.
A lot of games I seem to play just. loving. hate. irc flashing for attention in the task bar. I'll get a message so it will flash and the game will start to drop frames all over. I think a lot of Unity engine games hate that but a handful of other things do too for no good reason :shrug:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Esroc posted:

I think the activities are kind of fun, especially in online mode. I spent a solid week playing golf more often than the actual game.
A shame you can't drive the cart to your ball in Online though. I wanted impromptu Cart derbys on the way to my next shot.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DStecks posted:

OK, wow, I know this will not be the first or thousandth time his has been said, but the gunplay in Alpha Protocol is un loving playable. I'd heard it was going to be bad, but nothing can prepare you for the total shitness of Alpha Protocol's gameplay.

(the stealth and cover systems aren't hot either)
Also punch people, that skill is pretty sweet

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

In metal gear solid 4 you can sneak up behind someone who hasn't spotted you and point a gun at them, tell them to stick 'em up and they'll actually surrender, letting you safely knock them out.
If you hold them up from behind with your gun, they'll stay surrendered until you piss off away from the area or you walk in front of them so they can see that you aren't in fact holding them up anymore.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
RPG's should have Butt sliders so you can modify the butt because you're forced to spend 30+ hours of the game staring at the butt anyway so it might as well be a nice or funny butt.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

They don't do a very good job of explaining it but there are actually two ways the cops are chasing you. If your icon on the minimap is white that means the cops know what you look like/what you're driving and will pretty much home in on you. If it is gray that means they're looking but don't know who you are. If you're quick about it you can actually drive right by a cop in search mode if you're gray, although they can still spot you and switch to white if you get too close.
That feature is only in Single Player along with the Hiding in Foliage mechanic.
The best ways to deal with it in Online is it either just die/kill yourself, remove a mask, pay Lester hide underground in the train/subway tunnels, or crazily enough, behind your own car wedged into a corner.
For real, wedge your car into a corner, climb over the car and hide in the corner so they can't make line-of-sight. Works better with boxy/tall cars (The Huntley and the armoured heist car work good). If you can park under an awning you can even block Police Chopper LoS. It's also funny watching all the cops telepathically rush your location in droves but the dozen of them never think to look behind the fluro-pink SUV riddled with bullet holes in the corner :cop:

The choppers though, that's the poo poo that makes hell. Just bullshit spawning them in almost right on top of you. The city you can handwave it, but in the middle of no-where?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

New GTAV complaint, the car spawning system sucks. I can never find the car I want but as soon as I find one everyone on the road is driving it. It's like the game know when you are looking for a specific ride and sets the RNG to never spawn one without hours of searching.
This is a ram issue.
It can only have so many potential cars in memory at a time.
To get around this the game has tables when it comes to 'random' traffic cars so if you managed to grab Supercar Y the table has Supercar Y, Supercar X, Sportscar G, Motorbike S, SUV A.
This is why knowing where certain parked cars spawn is important. Knowing this, you can 'exploit' GTA:O into finding a car you want by constantly hopping sessions (refreshing what table is in RAM or something) to get the spawns you want.

You really notice this if you play the new-gen version of GTA5 then go to the old-gen version.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Contrecoup posted:

All bad things that happen in games are entirely because you choose to advance the plot. Otherwise the villain is happy to just kind of hang out while you play blitzball or seduce and elf or whatever. Who's the real bad guy?
Introversion's Hollywood hacking simulator Uplink doesn't. The plot doesn't give a gently caress and plods along without you if you don't get your poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Szurumbur posted:

All right, unless I'm missing something obvious, I've met a Boss in a story quest that's impossible to defeat for me - Nithral in a Velen quest with Keira. He can instantaneously raise an impenetrable, damaging barrier, inside of which he regains HP. This barrier is connected to enemies he summons and disappears when they're defeated. The problem is:
I just did this fight. Played out like a standard 3-stage video game boss fight to me. :shrug:
-Get his health down, he goes into the shield and summons the dogs to recover HP.
-Kill the hounds and you fight him again.
-Whittle his HP down and goes into another shield and more dogs.
-Kill those ones and he'll fight to the end.
You don't really have any point to run into his shield, you have tons of space to fight.

What bugs me about the combat is that striking someone doesn't cancel their animation, so in group combat you'll just go tit-for-tat hurting each other at the same time.
And you can't apply oil in combat. At least give the player a grace period at the start of combat to apply one if they want.