Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

My biggest disappointment in New Vegas was having Matthew Perry in a serious role. You had one chance Obsidian to make a Fallout game with Chandler in it, and you loving blew it. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I haven't played the games, are the Dragon Age singing scenes just sung poorly, or is it something else?

Still, when it comes to bad singing, Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite is pretty cringe-inducing.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Speaking of Xenoblade, any game where your equipment changes you appearance needs to have an option to turn cosmetic changes off. Especially if the cosmetic changes occur during cutscenes. I've had to hold back on giving my party better equipment because they look like complete horseshit.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Don't worry the head writer left Gearbox so BL3 has about a 50% chance of being good.

Agreed on the balancing though, same problems that plagued BL2.

Isn't the character in that screenshot voiced by said head writer's sister? :barf:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

D4 :sigh:

Imagine if you were watching Memento and then 30 minutes into the movie a background extra tore off his clothes revealing a superhero costume with JG emblazoned on the front, yelled out "LEONARD SHELBY I AM THE JOHN G WHOM YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, I AM THE ONE WHO KILLED YOUR WIFE ALL ALONG" and then they dramatically leapt at each other only to freezeframe right before their fists collide with a "TO BE CONTINUED" flashing on the screen and then the credits rolling.

That's what the ending to D4 is like.

Sounds like the ending to No More Heroes, and that ending was great.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

I love Rogue Galaxy

You won't by the end of it.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

"Super Vegeta" has always been a whole different thing than "Super Saiyan Vegeta". I don't get it either. :shrug:

RareAcumen posted:

Christ, you'd think you'd just get important power ups like that by following the main story and just having it given to you.

I think that's how you unlock him actually, as an ally at least.

To get Super Saiyan for your player character, just buy it at the shop.

Kay Kessler has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Feb 1, 2016

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

A quick tip, if you're doing sidequests as soon as you unlock them, you might want to wait til you're a few levels higher. Levels matter quite a bit in the game. Even though you're only given a few points per level to spend on stats, all your stats increase some as you level. How much each stat goes up depends on the race you picked.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

death .cab for qt posted:

Yeah, as mentioned Sakamoto is entirely to blame for Other M Samus being the way she was. He actually took the reins for the game in an effort to give a big middle finger to the Prime trilogy, as it didn't fit his "vision" for Samus when he made the previous games. So he made Other M, his official new-canon backstory for Samus.

Yeah, that didn't happen. He just said that Other M and the Prime series were two completely separate stories, so there wouldn't be any callbacks to it in the game.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Yiazmat from FFXII is an infamous example. 50 million HP, and your damage cap is 9999 per hit. And when he's on his last life bar, he heal himself to full health once. Takes literally hours to beat. Granted, it's supposed to be the hardest optional boss in the game, but it's still pretty egregious.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Xenoblade Chronicles is a great game, probably one of my favorite Jrpgs in recent memory. I can look past the story being the usual cliche poo poo (even though I really wish Shulk would stop and think about what he's doing once in a while), since the gameplay is so good.

The exception, however, is the boss fights. Most of the really plot-important boss fights involve you just hitting them enough to trigger a cutscene. After which you'll continue the fight with both your and the boss's health usually restored to full, and repeat. It really is disappointing to have the game interrupt you just as you're getting a good rhythm going. And to twist the knife further, the cutscene usually consists of your party going "It's no use, he's too powerful! What are we gonna do?" even though you would have easily won if the game hadn't interfered. Heck, sometimes you don't even get to beat the boss, they'll just be killed off in a cutscene.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Also, the whole "was most likely funded by stealing money from publishers" thing.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

In Danganronpa the game provides some amazing comedic multi-choice options during class trials but in the earlier cases the heart penalty feels way to punishing for me to feel comfortable in picking all of them.

You can just save mid-trial and reload a la Phoenix Wright.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I got gifted the Layton series from a friend, and so far I'm almost done with the second game and enjoying it for the most part. The thing dragging the games down for me is how heavily padded the game is. For every genuinely fun puzzle, like figuring out how to get a ball out of a hole in the ground, there are millions of loving slider puzzles. I had more fun struggling with the infamous chocolate bar puzzle that I do with these things.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Polyseme posted:

Nah, none of that is bad. Cloakers ganking you from across the street without moving, resetting, then taking out your buddy with "Get the gently caress Up"-skill is bad. But I haven't played in months. Still a good hangout game?

e: Phone posting while walking at night, so my content is: Games that expect players to make meaningful character decisions at generation, or soon after without appropriate context. I mean, older rpgs had trap talents and the like, but I'm still put off by games saying "Your character has 39/40 Science, have fun with the terrible version of this conversation" when I'm a dozen hours into them.

Yeah, it was really odd of Obsidian to make the skill checks a Yes/No situation when 3's were a roll of the dice. The latter feels more tabletop-y, which suits the game better.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm rather glad I got out of JRPGs before they went 3D and full Voice acting.
Worst I had to put up with was " well, that's somewhere round 80 points" and " BE- HIND ME?!~"

Bad voice acting, even amongst JRPGs, is a rarity in this day and age. There are a few stinkers, but nowadays VAs are at worst mediocre.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Zero Time Dilemma's great voice acting writes a check that the lovely character models just can't cash.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Poulpe posted:

Just finished up Zero Time Dilemma and it was fantastic, but holy christ Eric is the WORST, I wish I had ten times the opportunities to murder his dense rear end

You don't need to spoiler that. Said character is established as the worst the second he opens his dumbass mouth.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

At least his waifu was an okay character and not Felicia Day.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

packetmantis posted:

There's never gonna be another blands game.

Not unless they can find another publisher to siphon money from. :v:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

It's also a pretty good counterpoint for when armchair game designers swear that combat is dragging down survival horror and it would be so much better to just throw it away entirely.

That's especially stupid for Silent Hill and Resident Evil, two series that are so highly regarded because of their enemies. SM hosed it up by having the only enemies being generic looking imps. They change appearance based on poo poo you do in the game, but unfortunately you never get a good look at them to notice.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

At the very least, 4 has a much better art style than 3 or Vegas. Actual colors instead of everything being algae green or orange? Definitely an improvement.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The thing dragging Xenoblade down for me: I start playing the game and get pretty far, then all of a sudden there's another game out that I want to play more. So I abandon it and focus on the new game, then weeks later I go back to XBC (assuming yet another game I want doesn't come out), load my save and realize I forgot so many things (how to navigate the areas, where and when quest NPCs appear, etc.) that it's easier for me to just start the game over from scratch.

I have done this 5 times. :shepicide:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Phantasy Star IV came out in 1993 and even then they had the foresight to add a "talk" function that let you get a refresher from your party on where you were supposed to be going and why at any given time. The fact that even 20 years later people can't put something so rudimentary in their game is pretty shameful.

Xenoblade does have a option to give you a slight reminder of where you're supposed to go for the main plot. But that's not really my problem with it (in fact Xenoblade's main plot is pretty simple and easy to remember). The problem lies with remembering sidequests. Most of them require you to talk to named NPCs, and while there's a chart listing what area and time each one is active in, it doesn't tell you their specific location, so if you can't remember where each one is, you have to remember yourself. Some are okay, like most soldiers will be at or around the military base. But then you get to places like the requisite rich city, which is filled with so much empty space. Or Nopon village, which is some kind of nine-story hellscape filled with near identical npcs.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Then... why did you post them as examples of characters written by white guys? :psyduck:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Xen Tricks posted:

Nope, afaik, Nuka World is the last thing being released for FO4

Not until they release a Lovecraft expansion, damnit! You've even got the Deep Ones right there in the base game.

That's a shame since Pickman's Gallery and Dunwich Borers were both fantastic areas.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

I bought that new PS4 Digimon game a few months back and haven't beaten it for this very reason. Every time characters interact with one another is just a series of endless rambling sentences that are dull as gently caress. Before I stopped playing I would just mash the button until they were done.

Cyber Sleuth? Because that game's translation is atrocious. Half the game's dialogue seems to involve Japanese puns and references. And whenever you're given a dialogue prompt, no matter which one you choose, all the characters will get offended by it and you'll have no idea why.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

I spent so long trying to catch a beldum that kept calling for help that he eventually killed himself by running out of moves and struggling to death. in hindsight I should have been alternating which beldum to keep at low health so that couldnt happen but still. Jesus christ gamefreak why.

Timer Balls are your friend. Quick Balls too.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

My favorite way a game displayed your moral choices would have to be Bioshock 2. Why yes, I would like a statue build in commemoration of that time a spared a person, depicting me as a god.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I fell out love with Kingdom Hearts and anything directed by Tetsuya Nomura long ago when every sequel and spinoff just kept repeating themselves. It was a cute idea at first, but then the original characters took even greater prominence while the Disney characters just seemed lost in the shuffle. How many loving times do you go to Halloween Town? Or Olympus Coliseum? How many times do they retcon the same bad guy showing up again and again? How many split personalities can a person have running around, who also have split personalities?

This convoluted nonsense made me appreciate franchises where each new installment features a new hero and new conflict. Yeah it sucks that your favorite character's story is over, but it's better than dragging any story past its natural endpoint, witness all the spinoff-crap from FFVII.

Swearing off everything by Nomura is a big mistake. You need to play The World Ends with You.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

He is not.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Durability works for Dead Rising since the entire premise is you're in a place loaded with stuff. But like a lot of other games with durability, they really need to make items more, well, durable. "Congratulations, you've unlocked a motorcycle with chainsaw attachments! ... Aaaaand it broke."

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Something in Baten Kaitos that I'm finding kinda annoying is that the characters all seem somewhat underpowered - I'm currently around level 6-7 at the second island after killing the Thunderfish, but the enemies in the upcoming area do a hell of a lot of damage to the ~400-500 health that everyone has now, and sometimes I get a bad hand and cannot defend at all, taking the full 70-100 damage from a strong combo. Also they have, like, 300 health which takes a while to whittle down as I m lacking in fire attacks. That and the scarcity of items for healing make things fairly difficult, in a way that feels like it isn't my fault. Am I underlevelled, playing poorly or is it just like that?

If you can't defend with the hand you're dealt, just use cards you don't need to defend. You'll still take full damage from that one attack, but that way you can get to discard them and draw a new card. Also, it's sometimes best to take full damage from a weak attack to save a defense card for the special move a lot of enemies do at the end of their attack chain.

Kay Kessler has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Dec 21, 2016

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

I said it before but man oh man in Resident Evil 7: The Molded loving suck hardcore and stop the game dead in it's tracks. The game goes from an amazing spooky haunted house, to a shooting gallery with enemies that ruin you incredibly fast and just loving gobble up every last shred of ammo you have. Two or three are okay, but there are way way WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many of them.

I went into the basement with 5 shotgun shells, 28 pistol bullets and 10 special pistol bullets and STILL had to resort to my knife to kill the last two. What a loving awful idea

Edit: Also one for Fallout 4

So I'm being chased by some dudes WAY WAY over my level, whatever, I run into another building. Oh cool, so it's a small room and the enemy warped in there with me! Oh rad! Now I'm being killed literally the second I load back in. What an awesome and well put together game!

The boiler room is filled with big-armed zombies (the game's crimson heads) as a tutorial to the player that sometimes running is a better idea than fighting. If you skip them they won't be there when you're done with the following rooms.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

One of my favorite moral choices was in Dragon Age Origins' mage tower. You run into a man possessed by a succubus. You're given the choice to kill her or let her go. She claims she just wants to live in the mortal world and if you let her go she won't harm anyone. But of course it could easily be all a lie. And most importantly, once your choice is made, you're never told if what you did was the right thing or not.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

If enemies are doing too much damage to you in BotW, just make a defense booster (a mushroom skewer with 5 iron shrooms is pretty easy to do). It's super satisfying to have a guardian's laser deal only a quarter heart.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

DB's should have given stamina vessels

I'd say put them on the towers or just the highest peaks. That way you have Heart Containers as a reward for defeating powerful bosses , and Vessels as a reward for pushing your stamina to its limit.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

i maxed out all the weapons in nier: automata and still didn't get the achievement :/

it's not that big a deal, all things considering but the scripting in the game can fall apart when you're trying to clean everything up in the endgame.

Zinkraptor posted:

I had basic "finish area" story achievements not activate, despite doing all side quests and maxing all weapons, etc. Even after going back and replaying those areas, they didn't activate.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature! This is just Yoko Taro commenting on how achievements don't really matter in games":v:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

The creators of Fallout 4 seem convinced that fighting ghouls in cramped spaces is super fun, and I want to do a lot of it.

That's weird, most of my fights against ghouls in that game took place in open outdoor areas. Indoors mostly had raiders and robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

2house2fly posted:

I felt like a complete fool when I had to fire up google to figure out how to turn my PS4 on. I also miss when consoles weren't trying to be pseudo-PCs and you could just loving switch one off

You know you can just turn it on with your controller, right?