Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The most obvious voice in the Witcher 3 is that hoarse croaky guy who lives in every village in the north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The most obvious voice in the Witcher 3 is that hoarse croaky guy who lives in every village in the north.

That guy was cool. I loved hearing the world's creakiest-voiced man comment on me wherever I went.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Folk can say what they want, witcher. Me, I'll never forget what you did for us! *dies of dehydration*

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Taeke posted:

Those games just aren't your thing, and that's fine. Like, you're talking about a specific type of RPG that caters to the type of player (like me) that enjoys figuring that stuff out, because it offers me the freedom to try out different builds. It's not just choosing to play a fighter, archer or mage, but then deciding what kind of mage you want to play and choose the skills and equipment that match that.
I'm aware of such games and they are absolutely not for me, but DA:O isn't really that type of game. The complexity, the range of chices, doesn't really translate to variety of outcomes. At least not for stats and equipment bonuses. There's definitely variety in the type of spells, abilities and weapons you choose and how you approach combat, but all the +2s to this or -10% to that doesn't really have much of an effect. That's what I mean by "needless complexity". It's not a game that requires you to learn its complex systems, they're just there.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I finally got Dark Souls, after hearing everyone gush about it for so long. I'm not very far into it -- I just encountered a dragon who did a quick drive-by gently caress-you after I finally beat the boss of that level. That part was fine.

I understand this game is hard, but one thing I keep hearing is that the game is kinetically sound, like, the combat is very solid, that it feels natural and it's refined like no other game before it. But I'm not getting that. All I'm feeling is that combat feels like Mortal Kombat, in that I've already hit the button and now I have to wait for my guy to finish the move, even if I've changed my mind and oh poo poo need to do something else, fast. I hate having to use a lock-on system, since I'm using a computer, but the mouse+keyboard support for this game is balls so I'm using a controller. The controller is fine, I can manage that, but the lock-on seems to pick the absolute least likely enemy I want to lock on to. I'm being charged by a skeleton with a spear, I'd better lock on to the other loving skeleton in the floor below where I can't even loving see him and now I'm dead.

I appreciate a hard game. In fact, I love that this game is kicking my rear end. The last several years of video games have been so loving pampering that it's frustrated me to no end. So I want to relish in a real challenge. My problem is, I just don't get it. This game doesn't feel "refined" to me. It feels broken. Combat feels slow and clunky. I find combat in games like Skyrim, Mount and Blade, and even the very old Severance: Blade of Darkness game to have a more refined combat, more kinesthetic, more...I don't know. Am I doing this wrong? How can I have fun like everyone else?

By the way, I'm talking about playing single-player. I haven't even delved into multiplayer shenanigans, yet.

credburn has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Aug 8, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Dark Souls definitely takes some getting used to your first time playing it. Depending on the attack, you don't always have to wait for the move to play out, you can often dodge-roll to cancel some of the more useless frames at the expense of your stamina, it's also worth mentioning that the game will que up actions so you probably don't want to spam button presses, if you're finding your guy attacks three times when you meant to attack twice that's often why. As for the lock on "shrug" I wound up not using it a lot because like you've noticed, it's kind of poo poo like most lock on systems tend to be. When I first started playing I had the exact same thoughts you did, then I guess I either got used to it or the dark souls Stockholm set in or something.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

credburn posted:

I finally got Dark Souls, after hearing everyone gush about it for so long. I'm not very far into it -- I just encountered a dragon who did a quick drive-by gently caress-you after I finally beat the boss of that level. That part was fine.

I understand this game is hard, but one thing I keep hearing is that the game is kinetically sound, like, the combat is very solid, that it feels natural and it's refined like no other game before it. But I'm not getting that. All I'm feeling is that combat feels like Mortal Kombat, in that I've already hit the button and now I have to wait for my guy to finish the move, even if I've changed my mind and oh poo poo need to do something else, fast. I hate having to use a lock-on system, since I'm using a computer, but the mouse+keyboard support for this game is balls so I'm using a controller. The controller is fine, I can manage that, but the lock-on seems to pick the absolute least likely enemy I want to lock on to. I'm being charged by a skeleton with a spear, I'd better lock on to the other loving skeleton in the floor below where I can't even loving see him and now I'm dead.

I appreciate a hard game. In fact, I love that this game is kicking my rear end. The last several years of video games have been so loving pampering that it's frustrated me to no end. So I want to relish in a real challenge. My problem is, I just don't get it. This game doesn't feel "refined" to me. It feels broken. Combat feels slow and clunky. I find combat in games like Skyrim, Mount and Blade, and even the very old Severance: Blade of Darkness game to have a more refined combat, more kinesthetic, more...I don't know. Am I doing this wrong? How can I have fun like everyone else?

By the way, I'm talking about playing single-player. I haven't even delved into multiplayer shenanigans, yet.
all I can say is keep at it - you're really early on and there's a very good chance it'll "click" soon, it takes a bit of getting used to generally.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The game is very insistent that you commit to your actions. It's slow and deliberate in a way that can rub you the wrong way if you were expecting something faster and with more liberal animation canceling. It could be that it hasn't "clicked" with you yet or it could just not be your thing.

I don't know who told you the game was "refined" though. The combat to my mind feels pretty good, but Dark Souls is a rough, unfinished game held together with duct tape and prayer. Despite that, it provides a unique experience that no other game series (save its subsequent imitators) does. It's a "greater than the sum of its parts" sort of game.

HMS Boromir has a new favorite as of 14:08 on Aug 8, 2016

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

credburn posted:

You don't have to lock-on, and in some cases it's better not to. I suspect your problem is: you're a button masher. You may not think you're button mashing, but you probably are. You are correct in that you must finish a move before queueing up a new one. That's kind of the point of the combat - EVERY button press matters. Timing matters. Spamming attacks rarely works out well, same with being super aggressive. Even low-level mooks can kill you if you're not careful. One of the most dangerous things in the game is one of the basic zombies with a torch. Try to draw single enemies away from groups, and learn to manage your stamina bar. The best adjective I can think of for the combat is: methodical. There's a groove to it - you just have to find it.

Don't even try playing the PC version with Mouse/KB. A controller is the right way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HMS Boromir posted:

I don't know who told you the game was "refined" though. The combat to my mind feels pretty good, but Dark Souls is a rough, unfinished game held together with duct tape and prayer. Despite that, it provides a unique experience that no other game series (save its subsequent imitators) does. It's a "greater than the sum of its parts" sort of game.

With how insanely overhyped Dark Souls is, it is (or at least was) pretty uncommon to see a fair assessment like yours. (That's why this thread used to have a blanket ban on Dark Souls chat, after all.) I'm not the least bit surprised to see someone's firsthand experiences clash with the mountains of blind praise people have given the game.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Aug 8, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

With how insanely overhyped Dark Souls is, it is (or at least was) pretty uncommon to see a fair assessment like yours. (That's why this thread used to have a blanket ban on Dark Souls chat, after all.) I'm not the least bit surprised to see someone's firsthand experiences clash with the mountains of blind praise people have given the game.

Well, the real reason Dark Souls chat was banned from this thread was that every time someone came in with a complaint they'd get shouted down and told that actually there was nothing wrong with the game and any perceived flaws are just because you are bad at it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I was actually going to say there are a few games I don't particularly enjoy, Dark Souls included, where when I think critically about the reasons I don't like them I eventually conclude that I'm bad at them which I suppose is a valid reason for not liking a game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Even considering Dragon Butt Lava Bloom Island and the Copy Paste Ruins I don't think I'd say Dark Souls is unfinished.

quote:

All I'm feeling is that combat feels like Mortal Kombat, in that I've already hit the button and now I have to wait for my guy to finish the move, even if I've changed my mind and oh poo poo need to do something else, fast. I

Dark Souls has you commit to your actions. Faster weapons like daggers or shortswords might work out better for you than bigger, slower ones if you can't get past that (I button mashed like crazy at first too).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm slowly (really slowly) making my way through Witcher 3 on the hardest difficulty setting. I really enjoy it, how combat is risky and how the powerful beasts are actually a huge challenge, but the loading times loving suck. Having to wait nearly a minute, if not more, every time I die (this is on the PS4, btw) is so frustrating. And with some of the contracts, this can happen more than a couple times.

Also the fact that Gwent is about 20% strategy and 80% about whether or not you have the best cards in the game in your deck. Because playing against someone and seeing them throw down multiple 10s in a row, including three heroes, is just frustrating as poo poo.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's recommended to buy all the cards offered by merchants, play all the merchants until they stop dropping cards, buy the miraculous guide to gwent, and leave the higher players for last. If Collect Em All remains active in your quest log then it means you haven't failed it yet. Most players stick to the North or Nilfgaard decks for their spy cards. This does mean you have to hold off Triss' side-quest for as long as possible. High Stakes will most likely be your last stop.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Aug 8, 2016

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Huh. Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm sure there is a good game here once I get past this hurdle. You may be on to something about the button mashing. I'd like to think I'm more methodical than that, but...well...maybe I'm not. Also, I thought the lock-on thing was a necessity. It didn't occur to me NOT to use it.

I will continue to hone my Dark Souls skill and hopefully it will make sense, soon.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dark Souls lock-on is one of those things where when you start playing, you don't realise how useful it is, when you're intermediate you rely on it and it's really helpful, then when you are finally Good you realise it was a foolish crutch and free yourself from its deceitful ways

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

muscles like this? posted:

Well, the real reason Dark Souls chat was banned from this thread was that every time someone came in with a complaint they'd get shouted down and told that actually there was nothing wrong with the game and any perceived flaws are just because you are bad at it.

That's what I meant.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

im pooping! posted:

I was actually going to say there are a few games I don't particularly enjoy, Dark Souls included, where when I think critically about the reasons I don't like them I eventually conclude that I'm bad at them which I suppose is a valid reason for not liking a game.

This is the conclusion a friend of mine came to after spending hours and hours trying to punch the Asylum Demon to death, and then sprinting through the ghosts of new londo AND the catacombs.

Apparently he thought it was a "run from all the enemies" type of action game, which as far as I can tell is a completely unexplored genre.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

yeah i watched the geop lp and ive beaten ds2 but im pretty bad at it still and i dont think ive won even once in pvp and i cant blame my internet connection

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is the conclusion a friend of mine came to after spending hours and hours trying to punch the Asylum Demon to death, and then sprinting through the ghosts of new londo AND the catacombs.

Apparently he thought it was a "run from all the enemies" type of action game, which as far as I can tell is a completely unexplored genre.

Is Mirror's Edge an action game or just a platformer?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Is Mirror's Edge an action game or just a platformer?

One long qte or a musicless rythm game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What fixes beyond Durante does Dark Souls need so it doesn't look like arse?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Isn't that just survival horror?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

HMS Boromir posted:

Isn't that just survival horror?

Just basic horror. Survival horror has you fighting back, typically without enough ammo and you often need to run.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Outlast?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

penumbra, amnesia and soma but as far as i know theres no option to ineffectively punch things in those three

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

It's also a pretty good counterpoint for when armchair game designers swear that combat is dragging down survival horror and it would be so much better to just throw it away entirely.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

im pooping! posted:

penumbra, amnesia and soma but as far as i know theres no option to ineffectively punch things in those three

You can however bludgeon wild dogs to death with a pick in Penumbra, even if that's only a temporary reprieve.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

It's also a pretty good counterpoint for when armchair game designers swear that combat is dragging down survival horror and it would be so much better to just throw it away entirely.

That's especially stupid for Silent Hill and Resident Evil, two series that are so highly regarded because of their enemies. SM hosed it up by having the only enemies being generic looking imps. They change appearance based on poo poo you do in the game, but unfortunately you never get a good look at them to notice.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Just basic horror. Survival horror has you fighting back, typically without enough ammo and you often need to run.

Horror also has a lot more stealth than what I was thinking. Mirrors Edge is probably the closest, except when it forces you into shootouts in the sewer.

Call of Cthulhu : Dark Corners of the Earth does have that fantastic chase across the Innsmouth rooftops, with you dashing through houses and hastily throwing bookshelves in front of doors.

Then you spend the rest of the game shotgunning fish men. That kinda sucked the horror out of it. Also the Shoggoth fight is so long and violent that I started feeling sorry for the poor monster. He took such a beating.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I'm sorry, it always looks like rear end. It's another of those things you just have to get used to when you play dark souls.

Kay Kessler posted:

That's especially stupid for Silent Hill and Resident Evil, two series that are so highly regarded because of their enemies. SM hosed it up by having the only enemies being generic looking imps. They change appearance based on poo poo you do in the game, but unfortunately you never get a good look at them to notice.

Also they really hosed up on the whole mental exam thing they hyped. Instead of analyzing what you did, your choices and how you played it was more like "Oh no, I looked at a sexy calendar now harry mason is a horny rapist forever oh noooo" and then because you looked at a stack of beer bottles in the first level the game also decides you're a ruthless drunk.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/395/

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

Also they really hosed up on the whole mental exam thing they hyped. Instead of analyzing what you did, your choices and how you played it was more like "Oh no, I looked at a sexy calendar now harry mason is a horny rapist forever oh noooo" and then because you looked at a stack of beer bottles in the first level the game also decides you're a ruthless drunk.

And this after 2, which deduced a "proper" ending from stuff like "do you heal up when wounded" and "did you listen to that whole speech" and "did you check the letter again" to score how self-destructive and how remorseful you are. It did a great job!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

credburn posted:

Huh. Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm sure there is a good game here once I get past this hurdle. You may be on to something about the button mashing. I'd like to think I'm more methodical than that, but...well...maybe I'm not. Also, I thought the lock-on thing was a necessity. It didn't occur to me NOT to use it.

I will continue to hone my Dark Souls skill and hopefully it will make sense, soon.

Pause for a bit after every input, especially after rolling or getting up when you're knocked down. that's usually when your inputs get buffered. also it's really tempting to push your attack when you've got one or two hits in, so don't get greedy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has there even been a good reason for a game played with a gamepad to use a mouse-cursor system? I'm on PC but for the PS4 release of No Man's Sky it seems pointless to move the cursor when it would be better off just locked to the options to pick like every other game in existence.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Has there even been a good reason for a game played with a gamepad to use a mouse-cursor system? I'm on PC but for the PS4 release of No Man's Sky it seems pointless to move the cursor when it would be better off just locked to the options to pick like every other game in existence.

The GUI for Destiny had a cursor system too which was particularly lovely because it took four times longer than a regular menu to use and the game never actually released for the PC at all anyway.

credburn posted:

Just remember that you're swinging a sword/axe/mace around and it has its own weight - always commit to your attacks, which means making sure the timing is right to make them the most effective. Also don't be afraid of putting the game down for a while and coming back to it later, it does get frustrating at times.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I could listen to those savory British accents all day. It's been a thing since at least Baldur's Gate, I imagine at this point there are voice actors in the UK specialized in 'sassy NPC banter' and RPG developers specifically seek them out.

The Witcher 3 has good voice acting in general. Not a fan of the woman who does Triss, though. Most of the time she sounds so flat. And her pronunciation of De Jonkheer, good job ruining the pseudo-Dutch theme.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I really, really like the guy who does Geralt but there's one random side quest where he delivers like two lines in what I assume is the actor's normal voice instead of Geralt's gravelly Batman voice only to suddenly return to normal and it was so bizarre and jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That also happens a couple times in Deus Ex HR because they changed Jensen's voice and accent juuuust a bit during development.