Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I really don't get the hate for Lost Izalith and the Bed of Chaos. The Bed was the best boss fight in the game because it was the only one where things would carry over after you died.

They patched that in after the fact. Originally you had to do the whole thing in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Borderlands 2 came out 4 years ago, the people who actually enjoyed it have long since moved on so it's only the people who have a pathological hatred of it that still care that much.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BillmasterCozb posted:

And yet people praised Janey Springs, who was the worst part of the Pre-sequel because any time you were around her, she had to remind you that she is into females and that she HAD A GIRLFRIEND but now she doesnt so she will hit on literally every female in the game.

If she had any other defining character traits than "Is a lesbian", I'd be fine with her, but it really feels like she can't go three lines of dialogue without mentioning she is a lesbian

As opposed to almost every other game ever made which has a stock horndog character but it's totally cool because they're hetero?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Borderlands 2 is a fun game unless you're some grognard dedicated to spending a hundred hours playing through it multiple times and then spend years complaining that the mega ultra hard difficulty turned out to be mega ultra hard.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mazerunner posted:

Borderlands Two?

More like Badderblands Poo

You mean that Skinner Box game? Good thing I only play games that aren't about pressing buttons to receive stimuli, like

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
These days "roguelike" is just a nicer way of saying "I have no idea how to actually balance a game or design levels so :gitgud:"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You can download a mod for FTL that removes the time limit and makes it a lot more fun while still being fairly difficult to complete.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In Tales from the Borderlands you play as two different characters and each one has a unique ability: Rhy has a cyborg eye that lets him scan items (often with humorous descriptions) and remotely hack computers, while Finoa...has a wallet. Her ability to collect money could add a cool element of resource management and reward exploration and force you to make tough decisions, but outside of the first chapter all the money you get is parceled out during the main story beats and never actually gets used for anything outside of a few completely cosmetic clothing options.

Though the game almost makes up for it by having your reward at the end of the game for hoarding money be having enough money to hire a mystery Vault Hunter to help you in the final battle...and it turns out to be that loving annoying Claptrap robot who is completely useless as one big troll from the developers.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your mom's vagina should probably sue them for violating her likeness rights.

Not that it's ever cared about violation before.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
MOBAs have the worst fans, Dark Souls has the worst haters.

Tracula posted:

MOBA fans are just kinda dicks about MOBA's. Dark Souls fans think that everyone except them suck and are dumb and need to git gud AND WHY ISN'T EVERYTHING A DARK SOULS. WHY ARENT ALL GAMES HARD HURRDURR.
(I'm a dark souls fan and hate most people who like the games)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don't think it's really fair to call Goldeneye mediocre, it's just aged badly, mostly because it's from a time where they had no idea how to do an FPS on console. Wasn't there some weird controller setup you could pick that would allow for moving and shooting at the same time, but it required two controllers?

Yeah, it's important from a historical perspective because while PC FPSes like Quake 2 had way better graphics and controls and online play they were still mostly about grabbing key cards and flipping switches to open doors while Goldeneye had the entire objective system that changed based on difficulty and all the unlocks and customization options for game modes were way ahead of their time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
When I got super bored/tired of the game thanks to all the padding I finally just used a cheat program to give myself infinite ammo and it was so sweet being able to just BLAM BLAM BLAM your way through fights that would otherwise last like five minutes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

QuietLion posted:

The swimming in Dishonored is absolutely abysmal. As I'm playing with a controller, it's difficult to simultaneously hold my head above water, jump+Blink in an attempt to get out, and also avoid the stupid tiny Slaughterfish-wannabes that nibble my ankles. I'm loving this game as it is what the most recent Thief failed to be, but this water thing sucks.

I appreciate that there's almost never a need to swim with Blink II and Agility II, though. Getting to the Golden Cat to find Emily on the top floor took me about 45 seconds with that combo.

The hostile fauna in Dishonored really felt like something from a different, worse game. The fish were a pain to fight, the barnacles with their pinpoint-accurate projectiles that attacked as soon you entered their line of sight were annoying as hell, and even the rats were mostly just a nuisance aside from a few scripted parts like the tutorial.

I'm kind of disappointed that Dishonored 2 is having yet another plague as a hook but at least the corpse flies seem like they'll be more passive and easier to control than turning a corner and having a swarm of rats descend on you.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rats are cool because they teach you that you should never be touching the ground - the best way to play the game is always to be up high.

This is true. I think in my mind I'm also mixing them up with the Weepers which fulfilled a similar function but were harder to avoid and also carried a chaos penalty if you killed them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I had plenty of fun messing around with the uruk captains even when I was powerful enough to kill them easily. It's not like there's anything stopping you from letting them kill you or escape if you want to screw around with the system.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

StandardVC10 posted:

So are we done talking about Dark Souls yet? No?

Don't worry, Overwatch is coming out now so we can spend the next two months alternative between hearing about about how the game is totally broken and unbalanced because they lost a match and gushing about how [character x] is totes kawaii because of [quirky personality trait y] :3::3::3:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dewgy posted:

FFX's Chocobo Training minigames are the worst poo poo. Control terribly, ruled by the RNG, and you basically spend nine out of ten runs through the final race staring at it waiting to be over because you got hosed in the first seven seconds.

And hooray! You need to do this basically flawlessly to make one of the ultimate weapons not totally useless! :smithicide:

The PC port is coming out tomorrow, they'd better have achievements for these just for maximum :qq:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BioEnchanted posted:

I did that in GTA San Andreas. I hated the whiny rapper who worked at the burger place, OG Loc, so when his party was thrown I deliberately wore the ugliest outfit available - Skintight shirt and leggings that were like an awful full body vomit rainbow, and a rainbow clown wig. That whole cutscene I was just like "HEY OG LOC! I'M RUINING YOUR PARTY! LOOK AT ME!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7NSulBOMNk

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The PC port of FFX is pretty good but the cutscenes aren't skippable and the new fast-forward feature doesn't work on cutscenes. At least it has borderless window support so you can alt-tab in and out without issue.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

gohuskies posted:

This is fair, but it's true of nearly every "you can make your own choices" game. Even games lauded for player choice like Deus Ex have very few choices where the player can actually really redirect the story. The choice is almost always choosing how or why something happens and how you react to it, but the fundamental blocks of the plot.

That or it's a game like Way of the Samurai where it's a half hour long.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BillmasterCozb posted:

Speaking of telltale_games.txt, there's also the fact that whenever a character that isn't the main character gets sudden character development alone with the main character in any modern Telltale game, they're doomed to die either at the start of the next chapter, the end of the current chapter, or in the case of the mini-series for the Walking Dead, during the character's lil development speech

It's really lovely, too, because once I realized that, I just couldn't care about the characters any more.

That's not so much telltale_games.txt as it is serialized_fiction.txt.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Deceitful Penguin posted:

They got the really lovely lady who wrote terrible Star wars fiction to come up with like, "Breeding camps" or some poo poo? Is that just one of my awful fever dreams?

They did but anybody who actually reads and/or cares about video game tie-in books deserves to be trolled mercilessly like that.

See also: Kai Leng: Cereal Thief from the Mass Effect book.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
That reminds me of Evil Genius, where the entire source of income and discovery was built about a lovely map game that was effectively a meat grinder for your minions that took a bunch of real time to process.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

Also the local area map felt like it wasn't actually designed to allow for you to build cool stuff. Like, I was basically fighting the map layout the entire game. There's not enough goddamn room, and there's always a wall or water or something in the loving way.

People ruining cool games because they were afraid of them being too easy is basically every major flawed game up until this decade.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I saw a video on Uncharted 4 on how the developers made the game accessible to gamers with disabilities who might otherwise have been left out, and that made me really hate The Witness.

Are you in anyway colour-blind? gently caress YOU.

Do you find it difficult to differentiate the pitch between sound-effects? gently caress YOU.

Do you lack the reflexes to complete a difficult puzzle in 4.5 seconds? gently caress YOU.

It doesn't matter if these are puzzles you can skip, you're losing out not because you're not flexing your intellect, but because you physically can't solve the puzzle yourself without outside help.

I can see how a cover shooter with very basic core gameplay can be a lot easier to make accessible than an obtuse puzzle game with a bunch of esoteric mechanics built entirely around colors, patterns, and sounds. Sucks to be you but for everyone else that's exactly what makes the puzzles so unique and fun.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

i don't think game devs intend to exclude players when they design games. they probably had a really cool idea and made a game out of it and overlooked stuff like that (that last one sounds like rear end, though).

Also The Witness was made by one guy over the course of like half a decade. It's a lot easier to dedicate time and resources on accessibility features when you've got a massive AAA development team backed by the money and resources of one of the largest entertainment corporations on earth.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ArtIsResistance posted:

Agreed the disabled would never dare to play a game that requires thought :rolleyes:

Agreed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The only good thing to come out of modern wrestling games is their Monster Factory episodes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Woolie Wool posted:

Why does the Legend of Zelda series need any kind of continuity at all, let alone the insane multi-forked time fuckery bullshit that has been wrapped around it? A legend in the traditional sense of a legend is the perfect framing device for serialized entertainment based on a formula--you've got a basic archetypal story that's interpreted a bunch of different ways at different times by different cultures, so you just make whatever game you want as long as you tick the Zelda boxes and not give a flying gently caress about any of the other games because each telling can stand on its own without any reference to any other versions.

And this is what you get just by default. Nintendo had to put in actual effort to gently caress it up.

The Zelda timeline is self-censoring; only the people who care enough to buy a supplementary Nintendo book and discuss it on the internet know about it, everyone else who doesn't give a poo poo can just play and enjoy the games.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ryoshi posted:

The hype train would be buying the game based on the hype and being disappointed by how staggeringly shallow it is, which you could have picked up through subtext if you weren't a drooling sperglord with the social consciousness of a flatulent corpse. Hope this explains situations like these for you in the future (because you do this all the time).

Nothing says "sperglord with no social conscience" like buying a popular new multiplayer game to enjoy with your friends.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

well why not posted:

Serious Sam/Painkiller/Probably DOOM

I realised that you spend the entire game running backwards in circles shooting stuff. It's really less fun to me once I noticed this.

One more reason why Wolfenstein: The New Order rules. It very much has its old-school sensibilities but it also has a dynamic cover system and light, optional stealth elements so it's not just running backwards shooting Nazis, robots, and Nazi robots.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I got Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD on Steam because the entire Oddworld series was on sale and good lord is the port terrible. I can run modern games at max settings but using any anti-aliasing makes the frame rate drop to the single digits, playing without V-Sync makes the movement controls hang up every few seconds unless you jump constantly, and half the achievements are broken because closing the game resets all the counters.

It took me like half an hour of fiddling to get it running at an acceptable level but it's still pretty choppy, and going by the discussion board and guides I still came out better than some people.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I know that criticizing Indigo Prophecy has been run into the ground at this point but one thing that sticks out on this playthrough is that it was set what was then seven years in the future and they went to the trouble to give everybody big weird sci-fi computers and floating holographic screens but everyone still uses landlines and boomboxes even though cell phones and iPods were a thing by then. And everyone faxes everything, they even went to the trouble to put in an email system for the game but all they use it for is tired jokes about spam emails.

Also the game is set in 2012 and the main character is 31 years old but when you have a flashback to his childhood it looks like the 1950s and his friends are all rejects from Stand By Me instead of cool 80s kids.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 13:00 on May 29, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You have to work to become a hero yet everything about her importance is all-predestined.

Link is the Triforce of Courage so he's just as guilty of the bullshit pre-destination as her with her Triforce of Wisdom.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Magypsy posted:

It's depressing that those lovely CDi games have the most competent Zelda in the whole series. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M859Lp5_e8

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

13Pandora13 posted:

There was concept art for these in NV but they never showed up. Probably for the better, If there'd been some sort of unavoidable driving section the game would have been worse for it.

It was even better, for Van Buren the concept art had them sawing off the front half of the cars to pull chariots.

:iia:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

2house2fly posted:

Old Fallout concept art is pretty hilarious:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also when the oracle teleports in, throws one punch, teleports out, teleports back, throws one punch, teleports out, repeat 5 times.

Or when he starts throwing bricks at you really slowly.

Or fighting upside down on a TV aerial.

David Cage is a genius just for being able to get people to animate that stuff.

The best terrible fight scene is the one where your apartment furniture comes to life and attacks you because every single piece of furniture flies at you one at a time for five minutes while you do the same three canned animations of jumping, ducking, or moving to the side.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ChaseSP posted:

A french grocer?

Cage's European-ness showing through when he's trying his hardest to copy American cinema is always funny. In Indigo Prophecy there's a scene that takes pace at a laundromat but the characters call it a lavomatic (the french term) while the signs call it a launderette (the UK term), and I'm pretty sure in Heavy Rain they have European power sockets instead of American ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RagnarokAngel posted:

The mini game where you have to get the claustrophobic cop through the archives is awkward as poo poo on a keyboard. Years later and that sticks out in my mind for some reason.

If you fail it once and Carla has a panic attack you get the option to switch to Tyler and you can do the section as him without the claustrophobia minigame.