Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Polaron posted:

Replaying Homeworld 2, an RTS from a few years ago, and jesus christ the enemy fleet scaling is completely over the top. It's basically punishing you for doing well and keeping your fleet alive from level to level. I'm pretty sure that it's literally impossible to complete the Guard the Hypergate mission if you come into it with a full fleet.

It's not at hard as you think it is. You only have to secure one of the power sources to make it to the next level. The game is all about exploiting the Rock-Paper-Scissors dynamic of the game and making sure that the Vagyr BC cannot turn to bring it's Trinity Cannon into any fight. Once your bombers have taken care of the BC engines, you can put them on a bombing run on another ship and then turn back. Once you take care of the shipyard and the heavier ships, you can usually finish the rest of that level with ease. Barring that, you can build up a supply of platforms and throw them at the enemy for additional firepower or as a distraction. Just make sure you put their location near where the fighting is or it will be a waste.

I gave up on Sonic Unleashed after I started doing the sub-missions in each area and realized that some of them were next to impossible. I realize Sonic is 'Gotta go fast' but when you add precision platforming on water into the mix, it becomes next to unbearable. That and the latter half of the game was a trial and error life sink.

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Jul 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

SiKboy posted:

No one knew the shadow of the colossus world until the game came out. An unpopular mythology is a premade set if characters that your audience doesn't yet know enough about to be bored with, and I cannot understand why more games don't exploit that.

Because it's a matter of marketing and familiarity. 'We're making a game about Greek mythology' is more appealing than 'We're making a game about Pacific Islander mythology'. Unless you're an indie game studio that has something innovative to bring to the market, you're not going to risk using a field that less people are familiar with. And most AAA studios are pouring a lot of money into a game and they are not going to risk it going into say African mythology without a really good plan. If they did, I imagine 20% of players would find it interesting and new, 40% wouldn't care because it's not about Greek/Norse/Egyptian mythology, and the other 40% would troll (some sincerely) and say 'gently caress this X/sand/island - ni**er mythology. I want to kill Zeus. Way to miss the mark <Game Studio>!'

The Japanese are really good at appropriating an existing mythology and spinning an epic yarn about it, but I can't say the same about creating a mythology whole cloth. A lot a studios have tried to do that, and how many do you remember have a lasting effect on culture?

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Aug 10, 2014

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Futurism is the scientific and moral equivalent of filling a ledger with made-up stats for a fictional baseball team and then considering yourself a baseball player. It's also about as interesting.

What are you going on about?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

moosecow333 posted:

I have played a lot of video games based in World War II, and one of the most recurring elements I've seen in them is the inability to reload an M-1 Garand mid clip.

I have no idea why this concept had caught on (guess I should blame the original Call of Duty) as ejecting a half shot clip from an M-1 is incredibly easy.

It's also annoying in a game play sense too, because I have to take the time to empty the last three bullets from my clip into the wall/my allies/a tank before I can go into another fight.

IMO, it's historical accuracy that has become a standard to provide a difference in primary weapons for the factions. Do you remember the first time you played a CoD game in multiplayer and listened for that tell tale *ping* of a M1 clip being finished (before you realized that was useless and you were playing a vidya game)?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I love Resident Evil 4 and never tried 5 so I decided to Gamefly it and check it out. Holy poo poo I can't stand this game. Why on Gods green earth did they think cramming an AI companion in for the entire game was a good idea? Wow, I'm sure glad I get to juggle two inventories and deal with Sheva deciding to use herbs on me when I have barely a scratch. Oh, you're out of ammo? Maybe try to not fire your gun wildly at every enemy. Oh awesome, I'm out of ammo and I'm surrounded by enemies, well at least I can run oh wait now she's knocked down, better run to help oh poo poo she's dead.

Literally all my problems would be solved by removing the companion. I'm sure it's cool as hell in co-op, but it's a nightmare on single player. I NEVER had ammo issues in 4, but in this one I'm desperatly scrounging for ammo while Sheva wastes it as soon as she gets it, but I have to giver her some or she's dead.

I'm gonna just play 4 again.

That's why I didn't even think about playing that game in single player. I read several reviews talking about the retarded AI and I immediately told my sister to get the game so we didn't have to deal with that poo poo.

+ RE5 added strafing instead of tank controls.
- Everything else

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Len posted:

I played RE5 solo quite a few times and never had any problems with the AI. I really think people blew that whole thing out of proportion. I just gave her a gun that I wouldn't use and very few first aid sprays and she just went about her business being a mildly incompetent teammate. But then again in RE6 I was capable of climbing the rope so I might be broken enough that Capcoms bad decisions aren't that big a deal for me.

I was never a superhuman badass with the RE controls like Lunethex was in his LP of RE6. I was accident prone, got hit a lot, and rarely used my melee to conserve ammunition because I couldn't pull off headshots all the time. When it came to doing a professional run, I was thankful that I had a partner that was an actual person.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

cobalt impurity posted:

Far Cry 3 is a really fun game and I've sunk 40 hours into it, but I just absolute cannot give a poo poo about any of these characters. Jason is just bland and boring and he starts out terrified of even using a gun but takes to mass murder like a fish to water, all his friends are 1 dimensional and get almost no screen time anyway, and almost all the villains are just awful but not in an interesting way.

Maybe it's just because I haven't finished the game, but I totally lost interest in the story after Vaas died. Who is the new guy and why should I care about him at all other than that he wants to kill me for killing hundreds of his men? Not to mention the only way they could make the villain seem more demented than the player is to have him lock a man in a cage and set him on fire, but when I'm allowed to burn down swaths of jungle just to kill a couple of men and maybe a few tigers it all kind of loses impact.

And gently caress heavies. I shouldn't have to shoot anything in the head more than twice with a sniper rifle. :colbert:

I can't be sure how much I've sunk into the single player, but I really hated the repetitive nature of the game with the hunting and wanted missions and the outpost liberations. And as soon as you know who died I think the devs kind of just phoned it in. It started turning into a generic mil sim FPS shooter at that point. The story did not impress me at all. By far the most annoying thing was every boss fight was a scripted button mash.

Edit: Best way to kill heavies is to get heavy beat down and just shiv them. They're also pretty good xp by the time you get to the second island (500 a pop if I remember correctly).

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Captain Lavender posted:

I can't let this slide. No matter how he disguises his voice, his "Blumness" cuts through and it's obvious. It's just everywhere.

I happen to think he did a good job as Leeron in Gurren Lagann.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Sardonik posted:

His performance was great in Bulletstorm. :colbert:
Bulletstorm is the exception. He chewed on the scenery in that so well, even I was picking splinters out of my teeth. Also just found out that Grunt is Steve Blum too. :stare:

Who What Now posted:

He was pretty good in Shadows of the Damned too.
:stonk:

We could go on for hours about voice actors and them being typecast:

Phil LaMarr - typecast
Keith Szarabajka - typecast
John DiMaggio - typecast

But their voice is what makes them recognizable and marketable. As much as people want to think that VA work is acting-lite, it's pretty hard to flesh out a character with just your voice.

On topic: I'm about 3/4 through Sleeping Dogs and I wasn't getting enough Triad (Evil) XP, so I looked online to find people complaining about the lack of Triad XP in missions and that the only way you could get more is by replaying main story missions. Even then you only get a marginal increase because you're just overwriting your previous record. You can buy clothing that increases the XP gain during missions but the Triad XP is so finely tuned that you pretty much have to get a perfect Triad score for every mission to reach Level 10 and get the achievement.

Unless you buy the $2-3 DLC that will surely put you over level 10. :argh:

This is in stark contrast to the fact that the other 2 XP types in the game are given more than enough missions to fill them out. I finished both of the other ones by about halfway through the game.

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Oct 7, 2014

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, he wasn't really recognizable as Joel in TLoU either (and another great example of a typecast actor having range is Nolan North's David in that game. Holy poo poo was he different than the norm.)

The only voice I think Troy Baker doesn't do well is the generic high fantasy/british accent. His Lyndon from Diablo 3 and Pagan Min in Far Cry 4 sound exactly the same.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I didn't play the game until it went on sale with a bunch of DLC on offer, and there were a bunch of side missions like survival fights and riding shotgun on a drug run that gave me so much Triad XP I had that maxed out before I touched even 3/5s of the story. I had no idea it was so tight in the original release.

edit: Though that reminds me of one such drug run side mission where my AI driver took a wrong turn and got stuck next to a wall, and motorcycles kept spawning and coming up to attack us, and I kept popping people, and eventually we were completely smothered in mountains of motorcycles until finally they got off enough lucky shots to blow us all up.

I think you're confusing some of those missions with the Face and favor missions. Though most of them were for Triad activities, all they gave you was Face XP so you could get better food buffs and get discounts.

For what it's worth, I finished the game and reached Triad 10 before the last mission, but I find it kind of stupid the way I did it: Several of the later missions are cover shooter heavy, so the best way to max out Triad XP was to disarm then headshot the enemy. In a game trying to look like a Hong Kong action movie it made sense.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

LoonShia posted:

For actual content: The crossbow (long-range silent weapon) in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood breaks the stealth. It can be fired when you're blending, and from horseback (I think). It's expensive, for sure, but if you know what you're doing, you'll have the 12,000 monies required fairly quickly.

It's really hard to progress the story chronologically with different PCs and still make the game interesting. AC2 innovated by adding the double hidden blades and the gun for when you absolutely needed to kill someone and didn't care about the sound. Still, is the crossbow that different from the multitude of daggers that you got in AC1?

My biggest gripe with most of the AssCreed series is the lack of QC that went into the later titles. NPCs disappear, your character gets stuck in the ground, wonky geometry. And for the love of Christ, why do they constantly insist on inserting tailing missions with a razor thin margin of error???

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

QuietLion posted:

Tailing missions in all other AssCreeds have nothing on how bad they were in Black Flag. I went for 100% synchro for the full game, and I would rather fight that bullshit legendary armored Spanish man o' war again than do the tailing missions in ships a second time.

Trying to avoid being detected by the target while swerving and doing circles to avoid alerting the ten warships that you have to pass by is not fun.

It was really nice being able to snag bonus money for assassination missions by just shooting the target with a berserk dart, though.

The problem with the AssCreed tailing missions was that there was no room for error or finesse. You didn't have to get creative outside of gameplay mechanics, you just had to assume that every group of civilians was there so you could blend. Most of the time it was because you didn't know you had to hide in X hay cart because Y patrol was coming from a direction. So you basically brute forced your way through the tail by loving up and eventually finished it.

We'll have to disagree on the boats though because El Impoluto was the rage of 1000 suns for me. I beat that thing with a sliver of health after 30 attempts and then I went and did the other 4 ships and turned them into small floating wood communities with little effort. For being the first legendary ship that you would run into and in the starting zone no less you would think they would have used La Dama Negra (3-armored sides, unarmored rear, mortar boat) or HMS Prince (no guides for mortars) for the first area. El Impoluto's naval ram was just brutal and did about as much damage with a glancing blow as it did from hitting head on. That is grade AA bullshit.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Who What Now posted:

And all of this wouldn't be so bad if the game hadn't become even floatier than before.

Well, you are on the moon. :shrug:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

As to these two points.

Der Kyhe posted:

-Protagonist is changed to a humorless and clueless dimwit who constantly is conned and/or betrayed, not to mention that in the earlier games loving with the PC was pretty much a guarantee that in the next act, the same people will die.
-Any attempt with grey and grey-morality story becomes "Founding Fathers good"/"English bad" since we cannot say any even a slightly critical thing about the FF of USA.

You eventually understand why they wrote him stiff as a board protagonist. He's idealistic and bent on revenge. Let's see how far that takes him in the real world. :thumbsup:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

im pooping! posted:

Work of fiction inspired by real events and developed by a multicultural team of varying faiths and beliefs.

It also makes me cringe every time I read that because when the first AssCreed came out a bunch of totally oppressed Christians in the US said it was anti-Christian. Now they put that in every single game. :ughh:

Assassin's Creed V: A work of fiction inspired by real events and developed by a multicultural team of varying faiths and beliefs

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Sardonik posted:

Also what the heck is with the pointless crafting/fleet management mechanics from AC3/AC4 respectively? Is there a contractual obligation somewhere that each AC game has to have some sort of dumb management-lite system? AC3's didn't seem to do anything at all, and AC4's seemed broken to me, couldn't figure out how to get more of the goods required for missions.

I ran into the same problem before I just read a wiki: You do fleet combat to lower the risk on routes AND get resources for those routes. The game is really obtuse about explaining this.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Chard posted:

Soul Memory is why I gave up on DS2, it basically ruined my favorite aspect of the game (haunting one area forever with gimmick characters)

I never liked DS2's PVP, but I can agree with that. They should have made getting souls from PVP like getting a boss' soul. You would get 'Soul of Chard' as an item but it wouldn't tell you how much it was worth until you used it and you could just throw it away if you didn't want to add to your soul memory.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Thoughtless posted:

A lot of the time in Skyrim (on PC) you should just use the console, I've discovered it helps a lot with enjoying the game. This includes: leveling skills so you don't have to grind them (a mindless chore best left for MMORPGs) resurrecting NPCs (who love dying in vampire or dragon attacks), teleporting NPCs to you (some quest NPCs get stuck due to bugs, Shadowmere wanders off) and so on.

Wow, reading all of this about Skyrim makes me glad I never opened it when I got 2 years ago. :v:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

I think a Desmond-centric game would have been fine, but the sections in 1-3 were like the game forcing you to get up and use the toilet ~in-game~. A Desmond game would also have let them set it in the USA and have buildings that were more than 3 stories tall, which would have been neat.

The problem with a modern AssCreed game is that firearms make hidden blades obsolete. You can see this in AC3 and 4 where they go to great lengths to give you time to use a human shield when all it would take is a few snap shots from a pistol to turn your assassin rear end into fertilizer. The only time you see a handgun is at the end of AC3 and which Desmond makes quick work of with the MacGuffin by making the guard shoot himself. All Abstergo needs to do to take care of the assassins is to make their guards carry guns and not be pussies.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Well that would encourage you to actually act like an assassin instead of a berserker I guess.

Yes, and then every mission of the game turns into AC3's 'Conflict Looms' where the penalty is instant death. That mission has the touchiest 100% sync conditions of any AC game.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Uh, pretty much, yeah. I'm playing games for entertainment. I want it to deliver the fun things to me so that I can enjoy them. :shrug:

So do games like Minecraft bother you that there aren't any precise objectives? How about games like Crimsonland and its survival mode?

It seems to me that what you like is nothing but the gameplay. When you play a game and the story tagline is 'Out of this world First-Person Shooter with never before seen abilities!", you want nothing but shooting in first person and to jump the gently caress around. You could care less if there were 100 side quests that let you find the root cause of the story they were trying to shoehorn into the game.

I play a lot of games for the story not necessarily to get to the end but to see how they tell that story through the gameplay. I already know the ending and I don't want to search every nook and cranny for 116 Buttgloss statues so I just look at a guide. Very rarely do I play a game that is just 'Game: The Game, feat. Gameplay'. If I bought a game that I do not particularly like and am stuck with it, I will use achievements to gauge how much theoretical gameplay I should get out of it but only to save money. Sometimes, though, achievements are just so unfun that I don't bother and I end up with a 100/1500 like on RE6.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

I liked Bully's approach of making the collectibles visible on the map by doing a certain activity. And since that activity was Geography class it was educational too. Can you point out Chad on a globe? Well, I can now.

And yet Rockstar Games also is responsible for Grand Theft Auto IV which has hard to find collectibles, a shitload of them and there's a crappy reward for getting them all to top it off. Sure, you can find a map showing them with the in-game internet, but since you can't access that on the go it is pretty much useless.

GTA 3,Vice City, and San Andreas' collectibles were, although hard to find, worth it because it gave you an armory in case you died to something stupid like drowning. Water being poison is another story all on its own though.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

PJOmega posted:

Spark Mandrill... I got nothing.
You chill his shocked heart with an icy cool breeze. (Then shatter it).

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

TheSpiritFox posted:

The two hacking points on that map with the building surrounded by tanks on the sides, where your agent spawns in a shipping container is basically impossible if you don't sneak it in Longwar as of patch 13. I haven't updated it since then, but I ended up with 4 guys plus the agent against 13 exalt. I lost 2 people just sprinting to the extraction point because I didn't bring enough smoke grenades to lay a trail of the loving things all the way from the second transmitter to the skyranger.

The one on the top of the building in the construction zone is worse. I got that one on an exalt mission late game with the encoder/transmitter. The first goal was at the rear end end of the map with exalt spawned in it and the other one was on top of the building. There was literally no way to get to either without activating pretty much the entire map. There were 21 dudes. I just left my poor agent to die when I moved up into the first cover and activated 3 packs of exalt all at once, and then had 2 more patrol into the battle on the next turn.

Besides all the usual problems of adding a slew of changes without properly vetting their interactions, it sounds like Long War just adds too many drat enemies.

I'm finishing up the last 7th Gen Assassin's Creed game, Assassin's Creed: Liberation, and while I've had a good time playing the series, I can't get over the fact that in every successive game, they still haven't been able to get rid of one glaring control issue - when you're trying to get away from something, your character gets attached to a perpendicular surface and continually runs up it. Eventually, you have whatever mob that's chasing you catch up or you have to run away from the surface and then continue on your merry way to escapement.

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Nov 8, 2014

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

The problem is that if you come to close to a wall, while,saying trying to do something simple like run down the street you tend to run up the wall, even if you cant climb up it, youll do that sorta halfassed scramble up the wall. ANd then fall down, and probably get assaulted by guards,or youll just continue to fail at climb the wall, because the "simple" and "intuitive" controls suck balls for any kind complex interaction, like not running up a wall.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The frustration is the hope that the game will understand that you don't want to keep climbing up a wall with no hand holds, so you keep pushing forward on the stick but the game thinks, "OH, A WALL IS NEARBY! I KNOW WHAT HE WANTS TO DO!" If you do jump, it's usually going to force you into a civie or another hand hold when you never wanted to go up and away in the first place. God forbid it's on the first level of a 3 story building because then you have the lengthy choices of climbing and potentially getting knocked off your climb or dropping down and taking a small delay to get back to running.

Whatev posted:

Have any of the ACs actually improved the overall gameplay after 2? It seems like they keep tweaking and simplifying functions in ways that make the games more unwieldy and boring while ignoring the series' real problems, which mostly revolve around the combat being piss easy, clunky poo poo.

Every game after AC2 added something to the combat toolbox but gameplay hasn't changed greatly. They do add new features like in AC3 where they added wilderness free running, but sometimes it's not intuitive because you can see potential hand holds on a square building but trees can be hit or miss. Free running in trees really boils down to set paths that are indicated by downed trees or stumps with steps.

If you play an Assassin's Creed game and stick to the main story, the game stays innovative enough to be satisfying. If you try to go through all content before the end of the game, it's repetitive and can get dull. I do like how they moved the assassinations from detective clues in 1 to part of the story in 2 where you had to find out the best way to assassinate 'Giovanni MacGuffin'.

Alteisen posted:

:words: about MMO pets

I've heard that Hunters in WoW got raked over the coals pretty hard for the newest expansion, but I think one of the best things that they did around TBC was to make pets nearly immune to PVE AoE damage.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Alteisen posted:

The AoE thing would probably work best for GW2, that's pretty much the biggest thing that consistently kills pets after the HP buff, well that and high burst damage.

They already shut off the pet buffs for PvP stuff so it wouldn't unbalance the game either.

High burst damage if negligible if you give the hunter a way to avoid that damage such as recalling a pet or using evasion. What is it about PVP pet buffs that would make them so unbalanced in GW2?

I appreciate Blizzard's constant tweaking of WoW in that the majority of their balancing genuinely balances the game so that classes stay unique but that certain classes are not complete hard counters to each other. I just don't understand why other MMOs consistently fail in balancing their classes when there are dozens of examples of how you can make something like this work.

Mind you this isn't me saying 'WoW is the best, all other MMOs are poo poo'. I'm just going from my general knowledge of playing the game for 5 years.

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Nov 9, 2014

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm finally playing Halo 4 for the first time, thanks to the Master Chief Collection that came out today. My first major gripe... I'm guessing was a common one? I purposefully didn't read anything about the game before now.

These new enemies... specifically the Promethean Knights, take SO many hits. And they're aided and teleported by these flying guys that are as hard to hit as Drones, but can take way more damage. And in itself, this wouldn't be so bad; but this game's ammo seems more scarce than any other Halo I've played by a huge amount. I'll run into a Knight with three flying dudes by him with no ammo, and it's just the worst. Bleh.

The collection is still a great deal. Playing the old ones at 60fps is real nice.

The weapon mechanics are conventional but fun. The vehicle sections are better when you're with a friend. One major thing that I think Bungie/343 learned from Halo 1 and 2 is that not every level has to be an 'Attack on the Control Room' slog through 20 different areas. The levels in 4 are much shorter and varied than previous games.

The best thing for Promethean Knights is to take out the Watcher first with a DMR or Light Rifle then find a plasma weapon and melt the Knight's shields off quick and try to get a double tap on that teeny head. Beating the game on Legendary is doable even without plasma pistols or storm rifles, but trying for example to finish the level Forerunner with Tilt on is drat near impossible even on heroic. People say Promethean weapons are better against shields, but that's not true at all.

Don't punish yourself. If you think Legendary is a slog, knock it down to Heroic, but don't even bother with the weekly challenges that ask you to do any level with Promethean Knights and Tilt skull on.

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Nov 13, 2014

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

I know we don't post game reviews here, but Stephen Totilo's AssCreed: Unity review just reads like 'Thing dragging this game down.txt' for every AssCreed game ever made.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Thoughtless posted:

I also prefer the original BoI graphics.

So on a different note, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. These environments are terrible. I'm a big 80s fan and I still don't see why you'd make every part of the game eye-searing bright neon colors. It sucks because it's great fun otherwise.

You obviously didn't live in the post apocalyptic 80s then. I mean, c'mon man, that's EXACTLY how they looked! I should know.

I enjoyed Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon a whole buncha lotta, but I hated that weapon upgrades were tied to your collectibles.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

Someone on my friends list had the record at about 6 minutes. It took me more than a dozen of tries and an entire journey around the map to beat it. The tunnels in North Point are the trickiest part, since there are a lot of areas under construction so you have to deal with single lanes and you can't bump into someone or slow down all that much. I really hope no one after me attempts to beat it. Not because that would knock me off the throne, but because I added nearly 90 seconds to the record and that's going to lead to a lot of frustration on their end.

Don't tell anyone then that you can just get a minivan and drive around the roundabout near where you take Peggy for the wedding on the north side of Central. Even if you drive at max speed, you can drive around it indefinitely.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Nuebot posted:

Annoying sound effects have become my biggest nitpick with games the past few years. This is especially prevalent in games where you do a lot of menu shuffling like JRPGs, and it seems to be a huge problem with handheld games in particular. They love making every movement of the menu cursor and selections have obnoxious, usually high pitched noises that I find distract from the game for inexplicable reasons. I've started to play a lot more games on mute just because specific sounds get on my nerves.

Speaking of annoying sounds, I just finished Tomb Raider (2013) and getting the multiplayer achievements was like going to work. Since no one really play the game anymore, I was grinding XP and the PCs will just not shut the gently caress up with the chatter. I did the same thing and muted the TV as soon as I turned it on and just played some music from my laptop to make the time pass.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Heavy Lobster posted:

The whole "un-fun achivement" thing isn't meant for players, it's meant for devs. Widespread achievements in games is an incredibly easy and elegant way for developers to track what content in their games is getting done by what percentage of the buyer population and allows them to adjust future releases accordingly.

The 'x gamers got y achievement out of z copies' is a realistic metric since Bungie/343 stopped putting Vidmaster achievements in their games. Those were both un-fun and hard as hell.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

mysterious loyall Y posted:

Dark Souls, System Shock 2, STALKER and Deus Ex all suffer from a marked decline in quality towards the end of the game though?

Dark Souls has some really lovely areas towards the end like Lost Izalith, System Shock 2 just isn't as good in the latter half generally, STALKER has the bizarre teleport maze run and gun bullshit, and Deux Ex has empty areas like Paris that they had to cut down due to time constraints.

Also, thing dragging Vanquish down: I am only 23 and it's so intense it makes me feel like an old man. I can only play it in half-hour bursts or I start to feel overstimulated like an 11-year-old diabetic on a sugar high.

Sounds like you need to do some cocaine to play the game.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

DStecks posted:

You could even keep counters as insta-kill as long as you can't always counter every incoming blow. If counters stay instakill, then you've got an incentive to try for it instead of always just rolling out of the way.

They should have kept the original AssCreed combat system while just changing the enemy archetypes. A big stickler for me in the first game was that sergeants and elite guards were not readily recognizable. You saw more armor but that was it. AssCreed 2 at least kept the same uniforms between cities so you could immediately go, "Oh, that guy is a captain, and that's a brute, so what I'm gonna do is..."

In the end, I think the original combat system fell apart because they wanted to add more to combat other than one weapon + 4 different moves and change it to 2 weapons and 2-3 moves.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

I think RE4 was really good for two reasons. The first is the really satisfying mechanics. Blasting ganados in the head and the resulting squelching sound was so good. Everything just had a lot of impact. The second is that the game was not afraid to just take its time and let the strong mechanics stand on their own. A lot of the sequences (like the opening village battle, or some sections in the castle) might seem like they would go on too long but the gameplay is just so intense and good that they just work.

I could gush about RE4 for a really long time, it is such a goddamn good game.

And THEN you had 97 lbs of person to escort. gently caress that noise.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

I'm taking in the latest installment of the seminal Assassin's Creed series, Unity, and I was content to know it was a bug fest. I knew about the face bugs (haven't seen any), the model bugs (funny), Line of Sight bugs (annoying), and was ready to accept it all until I got to the Marquis de Sade.

His character design wasn't bad, his dialogue wasn't too provocative. It was when he sat down with what in game looks like a 14 year old drugged out of her mind that can't move and he starts kissing her arm that I got disturbed as gently caress about the people who designed this game. The memory ending freeze frame is even worse.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Randalor posted:

The Marquis De Sade was a sick, twisted motherfucker in real life. If the worst thing they do is having him kiss a drugged 14 year old, then I would count my blessings. Do you at least get to assassinate him, or did they make him a "good guy" like Machiavelli?

I'll let you know when I get through the game. In the mean time...

:stare:

I've had the internet temper me against strange poo poo but the World Wide Web has nothing on Classical Sadism and Libertines.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm really impressed that you have managed to go through life not knowing who Marquis De Sade was. :allears:

Oh, I know who he was. I'm well aware of what hedonism and S&M is. I just didn't realize what real sadism was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Nuebot posted:

This is a pretty big one dragging games down. I donated to Chroma Squad's kickstarter ages ago, they had planned the release for december 2013 according to their kickstarter.

A year later and they're still just occasionally chucking out a beta and stopped updating their supporters about the game at all. I fondly remember back when indie games first started becoming a huge thing on steam everyone was saying they'd become the best thing about gaming, the way of the future and all that but I've yet to play one that wasn't terrible, and steam has taught me to be wary of anything that embraces the early access tag.

Steam indie games are just like any other business that needs capital and you're the venture capitalist. It sucks that it makes you wary but that's really the risk when it comes to indie studios using kickstarter to fund their project. I think the model works but what it needs is more oversight so that less people are scammed and more games are made because they are setting milestones in the development process.