Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Hedrigall posted:

Enough of your furry fantasies, ugh!

Those are references to the specific gay subculture of large hairy men, known as bears. :eng101: :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Characters move at the speed of plot. The show isn't ready for them to arrive yet.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

Are the white walkers explained in the books (origins etc), or are they just "generic undead monsters"?

They're not explained (the show has revealed more than the books) but they're also not undead! Just because they lead an army of reanimated corpses doesn't make them undead.

Supposedly they're loosely based off tuatha, sidhe, and fae stuff like that. Though that's just spotty internet reporting of a thing GRRM said once. They're presented more like cruel, implacable ice demons, though we also can't really have their point of view.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 21, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

While we're taking about OPs, we should probably put the video of Tyrion's trial-by-combat in the Vale in there so peeps can be reminded of the etiquette.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

KORNOLOGY posted:

There's no one for Jaime to fight that would have the same showdown appeal as Oberyn vs The Mountain. Two characters, either of which can die without much story repercussion, that have been (re)introduced basically for the sake of this fight. Behold the ratings glory that is two ancillaries coming to blows in a way that will change absolutely nothing between the Lannisters, the only characters who seem to truly matter. It would be completely poor writing if the show hadn't gone out of its way to tell us this at every given opportunity. The audience is the one getting duped and that is just as pretentious as it sounds.

This is the stupidest opinion I have read today. And I have been doing a lot of reading.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Shadow posted:

She's the rightful heir to Winterfell. I don't really understand how Roose Bolton could be given dominion over land on the one hand, and Tywin talking about Sansa's children inheriting Winterfel with Tyrion being Regent until that happens.

Which is it? Am I mixing up timelines?
Goddam it. Wrong thread.

So sorry.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 23, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Edited my last post. So loving sorry

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

marktheando posted:

And there was a certain plant that the Romans discovered prevented pregnancy. It was harvested to extinction.

Really? That's super interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Garum.
And we know how to make it in a gt general sense (salt and rotting fish in a hot barrel) just not the exact specifics of how to make fancy brown or easy-pour. Every house had their own barrel, so there was no doubt a lot of variation anyway.

It's one of those things where it wasn't really written down because it was so obvious. Then it went out of fashion.

• Locked thread