Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I tried reading the first book one time and gave up after 20 pages because i found the prose untenable :shrug: maybe it gets better but the show is much easier to slog through (10 hours a year plus the time i spend reading this thead)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Sometimes I just enjoy stuff without deconstructing the reasons behind what makes certain parts good or bad and posting it on the internet. Some of you should try it/kill yourselves.

That's nice but i guess some people aren't content being so intellectually lazy and instead enjoy understanding and unpacking the things they like or dislike so they can either seek or avoid similar offerings in the future...

Irish Joe posted:

Pick one:

Ramsay's marching on Moat Cailin to reclaim it from the Ironborn.

Mance Raider is marching on the Wall.

Daario is going to recapture Yuunkai from the slavers.

And Stannis is taking out loans to buy ships and swords. He is planning on doing something with them.

Yawn.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 20, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

precision posted:

No, that's not funny, or interesting. Why do people keep making "the things people like about this show are ripped straight from the books :smugdog: posts.

Because I'm pretty sure the books don't star Peter Dinklage.

It is because they dont understand that being critical of somebody's prose while still admiring their knack for story telling/scene construction/dialogue is possible. Basically they dont know the definition of prose.

...Then again they like grrm's writing so their grasp on quality prose is tenuous at best :smug:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 21, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

They are bitching about sentence structure, vocabulary, and other things that are only important to those insecure about their intellectual prowess.

Yep. Pretty much this. It is a pretentious thing to gripe about for sure but people who are into literature probably wont be able to ignore it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
No, if you want a make a good adaptation on HBO you need at least some prose working for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I dont know what spoilering-through-speculation incidents are being referred to but to play devil's advocate is it not possible people guessed the events?

Last season, I suspected Robb might die because he was doing <insert dumb thing> after <insert dumb thing> but i wasnt necessarily expecting it to be at the wedding. I guess depending on the level of detail in the speculation it would be obvious..

• Locked thread