Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
End the show now, there is no way they could ever make a better episode than that. Jesus gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SexyBlindfold posted:

At this point I'm imagining that Littlefinger/Sansa's arc won't even need any additional dialogue, the next episode will simply be peppered with shots of Eyrie lords flying down the chute. Tyrion and Oberyn discuss the details of the duel, Ser Galahad of Whatever goes down the chute. Dany discovers what it REALLY means to rule by offering to coach for a down-on-its-luck Mereenese hockey team, Lord Johnny Lordly goes down the chute. The Hound delivers a heart-wrenching monologue on how much he loves to eat chicken, Robin Arryn goes down the chute.

Littlefinger is such a Palpatine level chess wizard at this game that I wouldn't be surprised if he orchestrated every bit of what happened to make Sansa love him and it actually works. I mean, Sansa is not the smartest slice of the hot pie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hand of the King posted:

Some questions...

1. What was the meaining behind Dany telling Jorah to tell Daaaaaario~ that Jorah is the one who changed her mind?

2. Was Bronn's reason for not fighting for Tyrion because he had been bought out by Lannisters or he didn't want to fight the Mountain?

3. What's Oberyn's reason for fighting for Tyrion? Sympathy? Or just a really easy way to fight the Mountain without seeing like he straight up murdered someone?

1. She wanted Jorah to know she still might, possibly, at some point, ever, like him back because she is a drunk on power puppeteer now. She's a teenage girl and she is setting up two boys to fight over her like in Twilight.

2. Both

3. Both. The "I didn't see a monster" speech was pretty drat sympathetic. Oberyn rules

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why do people think it's creepy for Littlefinger to like Sansa but not for Jorah to like Dany, Jorah seems older than LF for sure and Dany is younger than Sansa for sure as well.

e: wait no, Dany is 2 years older right? Sansa was 14 and Dany was 16 in season 1. Still, Jorah's like 45 and LF seems 40 maybe

precision fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 19, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MrBims posted:

Jorah didn't obsess over Dany's mother and talk about she could have been his daughter right before kissing her uninvited.

I don't know why this needs to be spelled out though. :/

Oh, so it's not an age difference thing at all? That makes sense, I just thought most goons were flipping out over age differences again

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nooneofconsequence posted:

Maybe in show terms but Sophie Turner was very much a child when the show started and is still very young whereas Emilia Clarke has been in her 20s the whole time.

This should not matter even a little bit unless they're like doing actual sex scenes.

e: meaning if you're going to freak out about ages, use the character's age, not the actor's

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

uuuummm posted:

I've heard that Jorah seems way creepier in the books, but I haven't read them myself. Part of that may come from Dany being 13 and Jorah being super hairy.

So in the books, Jorah is GRRM's self-insert, is what I'm getting here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It just clicked with me that The Hound will once again be denied his ransom because of murder. I don't think he's going give Arya over to Littlefinger. Though, Littlefinger might be the one in danger if he did.

I like how the Hound's eyes have gone from "weary and murderous contempt of everything" to "weary and kind of a sad guy whose only friend is a teenage psychopath that wants to kill him" without actually changing. The actor is selling his arc really well.

I can't wait until Jon meets Arya again.

:v: So have you been practicing your swordplay?
:j: Oh yes, dear Brother. Oh yes.

precision fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 19, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I got the feeling we got what amounts to a sendoff for the Bronn character, which makes me a little sad.

Just give me a scene in the epilogue of the last season with Lord Bronn sitting on a throne with a few giggling whores running around and a giant mug in one hand.

SOMEONE needs a happy ending.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oberyn defeats the Mountain, then a bunch of Dornish cruise into King's Landing and kill Tywin and Cersei. Tyrion is spared for obvious reasons, and he convinces Oberyn to spare Jaime as well. Bronn, Jaime, Oberyn and Tyrion become the cast of the next Final Fantasy game.

And then they all hug!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AMReese posted:

I don't think they'd consider The Mountain honorable at all. Of course they'd be upset.

Picking The Mountain as your champion is like all those assholes who picked M. Bison in SF2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sansa's always had that "one day I'm gonna go Carrie on everyone's asses" thing about her.

She has certainly had enough metaphorical buckets of pig's blood by now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If Oberyn gets defeated, Tywin better STOP THE drat MATCH before the Mountain kills him or I will hate GRRM even more than I already do. Introducing a character that cool, nuanced and potentially important only to off him so quickly would be lovely writing even for GRRM.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Ned Stark died in 9 episodes. It would be perfectly consistent for GRRM to introduce and kill off Oberyn in 8.

Doing it once is clever and interesting. To do it a second time is just trollin'.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thinking on it now, though, I would totally laugh my rear end off and applaud if GRRM kills/killed off Dany before she even gets to Westeros. Maybe Jorah can learn to ride a dragon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shadow posted:

I hear a lot of this criticism about GRRM on these forums. Most people who I've actually talked to who have read at least the first book seem to really like it. Is it pretty much, you either love his writing or you hate it? Or is it just one of those "goons being goons, don't mind them" kind of thing? And hey, been a goon a while myself. So I "get it." Rage only means we care harder.

The man tells a good story end of the day. Killing Oberyn off early would suck royally I agree! Why introduce a character that cool, nuanced and potentially important only to off him so quickly? Because that would be mean he's a loving genius and Scheherazade (aka GRRM) has ways of torturing us for the next couple of years with this "Fun and entertaining television" show.

It's a soap opera. They all are. You know it, I know it. Everyone loving knows it. It's just written better, acted better, pulls at our stupid, childish fantasy heart strings, and everyone's just raging on GURM because he's good at it. He just better live long enough to finish it up, otherwise whoever else steps in would either go fan focused and go with "HAPPY" or not have the vision and drag it out until we have a show with Tommen and the loving cat as the main characters. Searching for mice each day in ol' King's Landing.

The problem is that it is predictable. "Here is a character that is awesome. He/she will suffer horribly." It's bad storytelling not because bad things happen to people we like, but because everything becomes telegraphed. Jaime becomes likable? Hand chopped off. Ned dies. Robb gets Red Wedding'd. It's something you have to use sparingly, and not do it to every loving character. I'm already fully expecting The Hound to die this season purely because he has become a very interesting character.

We will have to disagree that GRRM is a genius because the first two books are two of the worst books I have ever read and the fact that the show has made them into a good story is a miracle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Baldbeard posted:

Can't believe all the book hate here. I've read a bit of fiction and found grrm to be a fantastic storyteller. He definitely has a habit of being long-winded, but his many strengths outweigh his weaker points.

The show may be a better show than the books are a book because fantasy shows are usually garbage, but the books are still incredible

Saying he's so terrible that the first chapter was unbearable is way edgy!

There needs to be a sticky for TVIV entitled "Subjectivity For Dummies".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

whalestory posted:

It's kinda begging to become some kind of argument when people say that it's the "worst" prose they've ever read

I didn't say that. I said they were two of the worst books I have ever read. That is a valid opinion to have about anything, especially genre fiction.

We're not even supposed to be talking about the books this much, but for the record, here are writers I think are good: Irvine Welsh, William Gibson, Robert Anton Wilson, Tom Robbins, Terry Pratchett, Michael Swanwick (I would kick a puppy for an HBO miniseries of The Iron Dragon's Daughter).

edit: If you want an example of someone closer to GRRM that I actually enjoy: early Robin Hobb (the Assassin and Fool trilogies especially). Now those are good fantasy novels. IN MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION.

precision fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 20, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

regulargonzalez posted:

If you think Robert Anton Wilson and William Gibson write better prose than GRRM ... well I dunno what to tell you. You have unique tastes, I guess.

Not that unique, plenty of people would agree with that sentiment. Though it really depends which Gibson book you're talking about. Neuromancer was not terribly well written, but the five books after it are.

But no seriously what is the point in saying "Wow, you have a subjective opinion that I don't understand"? Three of my best friends listen to a lot of awful music. I don't constantly nag them about "Wow, you really think Avenged Sevenfold plays better music than Godspeed You! Black Emperor?" I just accept it and move on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The show didn't even explain why she would ever trust the Lannisters enough to think they would actually swap her girls for Jaime. I have to wonder why all show-only watchers don't think she's the biggest idiot for that. Or maybe I'm wrong. Do you all completely understand why she would think the Lannisters would be sincere with their trade?

How many times has "A Lannister always repays his debts" been said in the show?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

There is so much more to the story than killing off popular characters.

Yes, that's why he should stop doing it unless it's absolutely crucial to the plot. Like I said earlier, killing off Oberyn would just be a complete dick move, we're due for some new blood in the cast, especially since Jojen and Meera are incredibly boring now that Meera doesn't get to fight over who's the better babysitter for Bran.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Baldbeard posted:

Killing off characters isn't a gimmick, its literally a major theme in the story. All men must die. It also has nothing to do with his "career", he's written other books, has some great short story collections, and has been a professional in Hollywood for over a decade.

He's also a creepy fat old man that leers at teenage girls.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Doltos posted:

How's it going to be a dick move if Oberyn dies? Is it because you like Oberyn?

I do, but mostly because the implications of him being a new player in the Game are way more interesting than him being dead.

I will laugh so hard if Gendry's boat is the last shot of the season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ironlung posted:

Shouldn't the Wildling army be getting to the wall any minute now? What is the goddam hold up? In the time since Ygritte and Tormund left the main army with Jon, their little band has had time to scale the wall, plunder in the north, wound Jon Snow, meet up with the Thenns, and plunder some more. Jon has recovered, went back 60 miles north, rooted out the mutineers, and came back to the wall. Still no sign of the main army. What the gently caress are the Wildlings doing?

I was under the impression they were waiting on Tormund and the cannibals to take Castle Black (or find some other way through the Wall) for the exact reason that they didn't want to/couldn't have their whole army climb the wall.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Between this and Dany's storyline jogging in place for three loving seasons it does get a little tiresome.

Can I get a book reader to PM me spoilers about roughly when Dany gets to Westeros? Please don't spoil too much or I might buy you a dumb anime avatar, tia.

edit: And done, thanks.

precision fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 20, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Thom12255 posted:

Dany hate is completely unjustified.

I like Dany, but she is seriously becoming "the crazy Targaryen". Her brother was a creep and all but right now she's on the direct path to becoming The Mad Queen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

echoplex posted:

New Mountain cannot act and look at him tryin' to scowl so gosh darn hard with his podgy face.

He looks like a member of Bear Force One.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Xenoborg posted:

Whats funny about this is all the fights in your good list are straight from the books, and all the fights from your bad list were made up for the show (some due to plot changes, some due to there just not being a POV character to see them).

No, that's not funny, or interesting. Why do people keep making "the things people like about this show are ripped straight from the books :smugdog: posts.

Because I'm pretty sure the books don't star Peter Dinklage.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If we're now seriously saying that quality of prose doesn't matter in fiction then please close the thread forever because what the actual gently caress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If IMDB is to be trusted, Gendry does not in fact appear at all this season. Not once.

:negative:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have seriously never had a problem with Littlefinger's accent, by which I mean, yes he sounds like someone with an accent, but I've never sat here thinking "God, what a terrible actor/accent". :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DepoProvera posted:

I'm from Ireland - I suppose UK and Irish accents all sound pretty similar to those of you in the US.

No, not at all. I just think people exaggerate how much his fluctuates, unless you're binge watching. I mean there is a metric ton of difference between, say, a Cockney and an Irish accent to me; Littlefinger doesn't fluctuate that much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The difference in how Dany speaks now compared to season 1 is more noticeable to me, though I guess that's more deliberate as she blossoms into the flower of crazy queenship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Is there any in-show indicator as to who stole Pycelle's conveniently easy-to-grab poisons, other than probably Baelish (who if anything was probably given the poison by Pycelle himself)?

I just assumed he was lying out his rear end at Cersei's request and he hadn't actually had 200 different poisons stolen because drat dude invest in some new locks or something.

• Locked thread