Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I will play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

That was a tremendously depressing OP.

To cheer myself up, ##vote Ixtilton

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I exist, it has just been a tremendously busy weekend so far. I will catch up to the thread tomorrow.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Hooray, I caught up to the thread and made some notes on people.

1) Asiina
OOG reasoning for jokevote. Tentatively scummy. Unwilling to comment because of possibility of incriminiation. Super early so not much weight on this part.
Chimes back in with previous game poo poo for Jake’s plea. Not feeling good about Asiina.
Doubles down. This is bad. Surpasses Meinberg as #1 scum pick.
2) Captain Foo
Hedgey post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635349&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post430383133
Would vote
3) Grandicap
Is me. Is not Scum. Is the best.
4) Ixtlilton
Is not reading Role PM. I stand behind this call.
5) JakeP
Active and not tense at all. Early game town read.
Not voting Kesho. Like ever.
Talking non game stuff is usually a scum-tell, but damned if I wasn’t pulled in by the stories. Also the non-chalance with which he delivers them feels natural, not the trying-to-fit-in-ness that is trademark scumness. Still a town read,
Apparently the thread disagreed because he got to -1. Hmmm. Makes a plea for his life. Self-preservation is not a scum tell, it is a selfish tell. However scum have more reason to be selfish. Still sticking with a town read. Actually towniest player in the thread so far.
Damnit Jake, softclaims are bad.
6) Meinberg
Bad backtrack on the Jake train. Bad self pity moment on his bad counting skills. Bad post in general. #1 scum pick as of this post.
7) Opopanax
Bails on the Ix Turbo before it begins, cites low number of players as reason, shows that he is conscious of how it looks to be on an early turbo. Plausibility of it actually happening is irrelevant. Scum tell.
Grandmafia is the best. Remember to join.
Opop is anti Jake due to self-preservation plea. Town sentiment. More town on Opop than before
8) The Ninth Layer Juanito
Replaced before confirming. Sadness.
9) Tremendous Taste
Is 3rd party. No really. The no scum thing is not somewhere a town would go this soon out of the gate. He is phrasing it in a wierd way, but I assume he has some sort of funky role that is not town or scum. And not a SK either. Dream Lyncher? Something awkward. Would vote at some point. But I think he is orthogonal to the game right now.

So the summary of this is Scum are Asiina and Meinberg. Jake is the towniest town to ever town town. TT is 3rd Party, and other stuff too. Just read the mind dump that is above.

Also: ##unvote
##vote Asiina

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

I could see jakep telling the truth here, esp with meinberg wanting a turbo . not than meinberg would know that jakep is PR but that he is town

It's in the phrasing, you "could see" Jake telling the truth. It is very non-commital. Meh, you aren't a top read for me, but that post seems off.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Goddammit TT. You are a bad person.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Asiina is the right vote and people who are voting Jake are wrong.

That is all.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Meinberg posted:

Alright, I've done a quick re-read, and the first thing that really sticks out to me is Grandicap's Grandpost. There's a bit too much certainty to it, like he's already figured out the whole game at this point, which is highly unlikely. He's also unaware of TT's meta of preferring D1 notownkills, over low information early game votes.

My Grandipost is Grand-tastic and I won't hear otherwise.

Also I am aware of TT's predilection for bad play, I just don't like it.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

My scum picks are still accurate. Please follow my wisdom if I die.

Follow it if I live too, but at least then I'll be there to press it.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Oh, look, Meinberg and Asiina are still the scum. I am right about everything.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Meinberg posted:

Nah, I'm sure there is scum. I just feel bad about being a part of the group that lynched our doctor. That said, avoiding a no-hang is likely for the best, and no real targets emerged other than Jake, and I'll acknowledge that the case on him was flimsy at best. Flimsy, though, is better than nothing.

Like, really. This is a horrible post. Feigned sadness, while trying to paint it in a good like on the other hand, while not actually using the info from the merk to further another case.

There was another, drat good, target in Asiina, she was at -2 and entirely plausible.

And then distancing himself from the merk in the next breath.

Dude is scummy.
Strike that.

Dude is scum.

If I am alive tomorrow, there will be a vote on Meinberg that will be very unlikely to move for the duration.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

##vote Meinberg

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

EccoRaven posted:

Kids, did I ever tell you the story about what I had for breakfast?

Eggs! Heh heh heh.

No memory was forgotten during the night.

It is now Day 2
:h: With 8 alive, 5 votes to be forgotten
:d: Day 2 deadline: let's say Wednesday night.

There are plenty of reasons for no kill last night, even with a dead doctor. Jumping to the conclusion that there is no scum. Especially with only 1 point of evidence, is silly. Stop being silly.

It could be poison, could be a BP was de-BP'd. Could be a roleblocked kill. It could be a withheld kill. What do we have to gain by no-hanging at this point in the game? Even if this is a game about not destroying an old lady's mind, we can wait for a couple more missing night kills to come to that conclusion.

In summary, don't be dumb. Especially when Meinberg is scum.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Tremendous Taste posted:

hey you know how to not let scum benefit if they exist

##vote no murk

How is withholding our only way to combat the scum a good idea? How do you propose we win this game, or get any useful information if we sit on our asses all day. I guess if there is an investigative role (that isn't tracker or watcher because everyone is sitting at home with their fingers up their assess), we could eventually get something. But something has to move the state of the game forward.

I have a friend who plays games like this. He claims a win if the other party concedes. So he will start a game of chess with someone, if he is losing he pulls out an apple and eats it slowly. Ponderously slowly. Eventually it is no longer fun and you concede.
The end result is noone plays games with him anymore.

That is what you are suggesting TT, and agreeing with Juanito. Sucking the fun out of the internet party game, by, when given options on what to do, you lie there like a dead fish.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Juanito posted:

Scum isn't a threat as long as they aren't killing anybody.

Town can't win if they don't vote.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Juanito posted:

Yeah, my thought is that there are night actions happening.. probably someone investigating people. So people will probably be cleared. But I'm okay voting scum.

But if Meinberg flips town cop...

THis is a 9 player game.
A doc already flipped.
There are likely only 0-2 more town power roles probably no more than 1 of which would be investigative.
At worst, there is a 25% chance of hitting a power role. The same as the chance of hitting scum. That should not dissuade you from placing a vote.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Until we get to 6 or so people I won't consider not voting as a good use of time.

Why did you join if you weren't willing to mafia?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Juanito posted:

Whoa so angry

Fine, let's vote Meinberg.

##vote Meinberg

Hopefully he flips town, so then you guys vote me and then chain-merk town into oblivion.

To be fair, I don't think you are scum, just wrong.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

EccoRaven posted:

Welcome to this game of Chinese checkers. The aim of the game is to move the little marbles around until you can jump other players', like in normal checkers. Now I've only played this a few times, despite it being a "traditional" game, be easy on your poor ole Grandmama. If you need instructions, all the rules are probably in the instruction manual or this flash thingy. What? Oh, no, there are no surprises, just the skill of the game.

It is a traditional game. There are no surprises.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Meinberg posted:

I was hoping to avoid claiming, but you're right that it's time for me to do so. I'm a jailer, and I jailed Grandicap last night. Whether he was the target or the person with the night kill, or the night kill functions differently, I do not know. I figured that there was even odds of him being either scum or town, because in review, I have been playing poorly, and in a way that probably looks scummy, and either he was legitimately scum-hunting as town or going after a easy target as scum.

I have no confirmation that I was jailed\blocked last night.
I do not have an active role, so this is probably irrelevant.

But thanks for saving my rear end, I guess?

If you are a scum jailer, do I as a target make sense? Only if you claim it early... which you do. During the open night phase, I make no bones about my feelings towards you... It allows you to "stop" the kill, put suspicion on me, and because it is a jailer claim you can go all mea culpa when I flip town and say you must have prevented the kill.

Wait, flipped doc in a 9 player game. No way in hell is the jailer town.

If the doc targets a person, + the jailer targets a person, it takes is essentially protecting 1/3 of all players. (The two targets + if the jail target is scum it protects their target too.) It is way too unbalanced in favor of town if that were the case.

There is even less doubt in my mind that Meinberg is scum now.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Tremendous Taste posted:

Grandi, what do you make of Opop's claim

I missed it entirely.

Ummmmmmmmmm, that is interesting.

Ecco not letting him submit an action, whether or not it would have an impact, is odd.

Unless there is a paired role thing going on where only the first one to submit matters, like happened in bowmore's game about that Terry Gilliam movie that I forget the name of. Or mod error I guess. But otherwise, super weird.

I see no reason why Opop would lie about it though unless it was a gambit to save me somehow? Or put more pressure on Meinberg, but that is an odd way to do it, especially without a vote.

I've got nothing.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

2 Jailers, 1 scum, 1 town, with their Night Actions linked inextricably? That seems silly, even for an ecco game, but I cannot fathom anything else, short of mod-error, that would have mirrored roles and prevent someone from submitting an action.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Ecco said he forgot about me. I didn't withhold an action, I just didn't have a chance to submit it. To be clear

Ok, so mod error. I feel less confused, but still confused, because a 9 player game with 2 jailers (of any alignment) and a doc is just silly.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Juanito posted:

So silly especially when you consider this is a game by a creative mod based on dementia. :rolleyes:

I still expect a semblance of balance in the game, I expect a game to be fun, and on all but the rarest of occasions, I expect the game to make sense.

If you want to play make believe, I can't stop you, but I'm going to be playing mafia.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Tremendous Taste posted:

there is no monopoly on the truth of mafia :angel:

If a game is no longer informed minority vs. uninformed majority, it is no longer mafia.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

MafiaWiki posted:

Ecco defines a "traditional" mafia game as having the following essential elements: 1) an uninformed majority who 2) seeks to remove 3) an informed minority, who in turn 4) seeks to dominate the uninformed majority. Ecco considers that to be the basis of the game of mafia in its most fundamental form. It's what separates it from other games, like the game where everyone was a Serial Killer; it may have been a lot of fun, but it was not "mafia," because it lacked the elements of mafia. And the game of "Paranoia" - it was incredibly difficult to turn that into a "mafia" game because the two are fundamentally different games with different elements.
This has the implication that when a game is called "traditional," Ecco expects it to have the four elements: an uninformed majority... seeking to destroy an informed minority; an informed minority... seeking to destroy an uninformed majority. Things can be added on top of that: roles, flavor, third parties, and so forth. But if the fundamental focus of the game is not the conflict between the majority and the minority, then it's not a traditional game of mafia, if it's even mafia at all.

This was linked in the OP. I hope that helps.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Tremendous Taste posted:

Successful in that he wasn't dead, or that you stopped a kill?

Successful as in he successfully targeted me, docs are rarely told if they actually saved someone, which is weird, because if I was jailed, as was claimed, I should have been untargetable, right? Or is this jail just a rb + a doc?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Oh yeah. Remember again, if I die, the scum is Asiina. If I don't die, I get to make case(s).

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

##vote Asiina

This is where the scum live.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Grandicap posted:

Hooray, I caught up to the thread and made some notes on people.

1) Asiina
OOG reasoning for jokevote. Tentatively scummy. Unwilling to comment because of possibility of incriminiation. Super early so not much weight on this part.
Chimes back in with previous game poo poo for Jake’s plea. Not feeling good about Asiina.
Doubles down. This is bad. Surpasses Meinberg as #1 scum pick.
:words:

So the summary of this is Scum are Asiina and Meinberg. Jake is the towniest town to ever town town. TT is 3rd Party, and other stuff too. Just read the mind dump that is above.

Also: ##unvote
##vote Asiina

My day 1 reads stand, I was right about everything else except for maybe the TT 3rd party thing, but after that this:

Asiina posted:

Well poop.

I feel like a lot of this was my fault.
feels fake and half gloaty.
The reactions to the claim bonanza seems fakely confused. She doesn't seem to be attempting to glean any alignment info from any of it, because she already knows everyone's alignment.

Also because it would be really cool if my D1 reads are all correct. But that is way secondary.1

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I'm cool with foo then taste or taste then foo.

Foo is confirming Opop's jailerhood.

Actually, the best gambit ever would be that Opop is the scum. He IS the jailer, but is a scum jailer, and he counterclaimed his scumbuddy for crazy cred.

That would be the most hilarious plan ever.

I wish that is the truth and town loses becuase of an awesome gambit. It isn't likely, but I want it to be true.

Foo, were you a backup-doc, or a universal backup?1

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

The more I think on it the more I think it has to be Foo or Opop.

We haven't seen any indication that the scum team have any powerful roles that would counteract a town team of doc+backup doc+jailer.

No investigative roles, so godfather makes little sense.

No claimed powerloss even though there are claimed powerroles, except for foo being jailed by opop, so there isn't a roleblocker.

Could it be a 3 man all vanilla scumteam? And that is the "power" that scum has? Too many people? Maybe... But that would mean that LYLO would have been on d2 if there had been no doc protects. Nah, that doesn't seem right.

So I think it has to be a 2 man scum team, and the second scum is either Opop or Foo. And I'm leaning much harder on Opop. If I were scum-opop, I would have most definitely withheld my kill to jail(which might actually be a roleblock if he is scum) foo last night, it gives him proof of his role. It also gives him plausible mea culpa when foo flips town (scum must have targeted him rather than him being the killer).

Opop, if you are scum, I'm sorry, because that is the best drat plan ever. But I can't get it out of my head now.

##vote Opop

@Foo: Please answer if you are a backup doc or universal backup please.

9 players, 1 scum goon, 1 scum roleblocker, 1 town doc, 1 town backup doc, and 5 vanilla town feels more balanced than anything else that is plausible at this point.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

To all of you people who make big games, please stop making them sound so cool so I can stop making terrible mistakes.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Grandicap posted:

To all of you people who make big games, please stop making them sound so cool so I can stop making terrible mistakes.

Wrong game:(

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

Read page 8 and tell me if TT doesn't look scummy. He's hopping on and off votes all over the place yet not contributing much to actual discussion

I can't disagree, but tell me what possible role a scum could have to balance it against a town with a doc, backup doc and jailer?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Tremendous Taste posted:

I don't think it's that bad but obviously I'm biased. I'm pretty sure I know why the roles are as they are but there's a real chance if I claim and I'm wrong we're toast.

If there were 3 scum at the start of the game, this is LYLO, please claim.

##unvote

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

If opop is the scum and we do this, then: I unsuccessfully protect someone and there,s no kill just like last night. Or opop kills me instead but then gets town killed tomorrow. But whren i get killed then there are four people left. So if there was a three man team then there would be two left and then playing into this wins for scum.

Grandi do you think scum jailer goon goon is balanced?

If TT is a powerrole, maybe. 3 scum in a 9 player game is pretty powerful on its own. Adding a scum jailer (or roleblocker) is pretty powerful. But having a game that is in LYLO on D2 would be pretty not good.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Opopanax posted:

If you die tonight I pretty much would have to be scum.

Any comment on scum jailer\roleblocker talk?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

SO taste is an anti-town role. That lends credence to Opop extra protective roles. But not in an all vanilla scum-scenario.

I still think Opop is where we find the scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I can't get past the setup speculation.

##vote Opop

• Locked thread