Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
So butcher confirmed a while back that at least 2 red court vampires are still alive in the nevernever. Think we might get another vampire book before the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I had to look up exactly what was said, and he didn't actually commit to them still being alive

https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/480824029943955456

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Since there is probably some overlap in readers, I figure I'll ask here--The Magician's Land is coming out this tuesday, and that series hasn't had a thread here for a long time. If there's any interest, I'll create a thread about it. Honestly, my expectations for the book aren't super high, but I'm just hoping Lev Grossman can put a decent end on that series.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Einander posted:

It came up earlier in the thread, so I have to say: man, The Magician's Land is goddamn excellent. Easy 10/10, good at every single portion of the book, makes excellent use of the material from the previous books and retroactively elevates both of them. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I'm halfway through it and the plot has basically gone nowhere for most of it.

Also I'm pretty sure I saw "lulz", "for the win", and "i heart ____" so far. Goddamnit, he didn't learn.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

LoG posted:

I'd thought about it but I just don't have that much time to read and it would take me at least a month to get through it. I'll probably just power through.

It gets better, honestly. Just pretend that is his spooky ghost voice

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Wittgen posted:

He is awesome. I think people are more annoyed at how Dresden goes on and on about how horrible he is without us ever actually seeing him being evil.

I think comparing him to Lara actually helps make the point. Both Lara and Marcone are professional monsters who stay out of Dresden's way or aim him at unprofessional monster as suits their needs. Lara, however, has never seemed to be anything other than monstrous. I've never doubted her evil, but Marcone just doesn't seem very bad.

Marcone's crimes seem to be:

-Selling drugs (not to kids)
-Prostitution (ethically)
-Gambling???
-Bribing officials
-Killing rival criminals, who are all decidedly Bad Guys

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I think there are mentions in Death Masks that Harry lacks the time and/or skill to make permanent magical items that can function wherever (but he can make his cringeworthy unicorn-hair bondage rope because it only functions in his apartment).

In Blood Rites, Bob mentions that Harry has to do the spells on his staff and blasting rod every so often, as opposed to making permanent stuff out of gold or other expensive materials. I believe there are other mentions in the series that the staff and blasting rod are enchanted to some degree, along with being physically shaped (as opposed to the non-magical focus items in the Alex Verus series, for instance).

EDIT: I'm surprised that Butcher hasn't expanded on the notion of the enchantments tattooed into Harry's coat. Is there anyone who has tried tattooing similar spells into their flesh? Or is that just not done because it inevitably goes terribly wrong (like you suddenly need an enchanted vorpal blade to shave, or you can no longer shed dead skin cells and you get Magical Super Acne, or something)?

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 23, 2014

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Looking back, I'm disappointed that Butcher seemingly forgot about (or decided to get rid of) the ambiguity about whether or not Elaine really was enthralled by Justin. I think in Summer Knight, and again in Blood Rites (I think? It was during a discussion of thralls) Bob expresses extreme skepticism about whether Elaine was under DuMorne's spell. It would have been more interesting if there was the possibility that she had joined him willingly (or maybe just been coerced in a fully non-magical way, through threats from a father figure). Instead, when she returns in White Night, Butcher has clearly decided that she was definitely enthralled 100% no doubt about it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Sill showing as June release for me

Amazon is showing me January 26, 2016. Incidentally, the author is definitely still alive, for what that's worth:
https://twitter.com/DenimAlley

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

MildShow posted:

I meant that Elaine was never enthralled in the first place, and that that was the excuse she gave to Harry. I personally don't buy it.

This seemed hinted ambiguously in the first book she's in, but by the time the 2nd rolled around I got the distinct impression that Butcher had made up his mind and presented that as the truth to the reader. It's possible I'm not giving him enough credit as a writer, but he doesn't seem that subtle, so any future revelation that she was actually evil all along will probably come off as a forced plot twist.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Time to talk new releases of comics and stuff!!!

The first issue of Rivers of London: Body Work is coming out on Wednesday. It's supposed to be set between books 4 and 5, but other than that I didnt read any previews. Still having trouble finding a place to buy it locally, so we'll see how that goes.

I completely missed that fact that there was another Dresden Files comic being released all year--Downtown.It's set after White Night, and I also don't know if I can get this locally. 5 out of 6 issues have been published so far, and they're also for sale digitally. However, for some reason, only issues 2, 3 and 5 are available on Kindle (which seems hosed?)

Also, they recently published the Dresden Files Omnibus: Volume 1. This is a collection of the comics Welcome to the Jungle, Storm Front, Fool Moon, and also Restoration of Faith (which I haven't read as a comic). If you haven't read the graphic novels, this may be a good purchase.

Finally (and not comics related) they published a collection of the 3 Dresden Files bigfoot short stories a few weeks ago as Working For Bigfoot. I never read those short stories before, so I'll be reading the ebook.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

Any word on why the physical copy of Bigfoot is 1) $35 dollars and 2) Already out of stock? Was it some kind of crazy limited thing?

I don't think so, but it's weird to see it out of stock. You can still buy it directly from the publisher, though (who also still has signed copies in stock too):
https://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/working_for_bigfoot

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

That site still has it listed as a pre-order...maybe that's why Amazon currently only has the Kindle version?

Actually, that might be the case---the only reviews on the Amazon page seem to be from people who ordered the Kindle version, so maybe the hardcover was delayed.

EDIT: Actually, 2 reviews of the hardcover...so no clue

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Apoffys posted:

Are any of those Dresden stories available digitally? I can only find physical copies on Amazon, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm not searching well enough or if they just don't want to sell them to me.

Edit:
Same question for "Rivers of London: Body Work", I can only find it in hardcover.

The original Dresden Files graphics novels are all available digitally (via Kindle, Comixology, and dark horse digital), and the Rivers of London stuff is supposed to be available via Comixology too.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Wait, so he got divorced, started working out, and proposed to a cosplayer at a ren fair?

i think Butcher just became a Deep Nerd

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Earlier in this thread someone suggested Spell Blind by David B. Coe, which was a decent first start for a series about a former cop-turned-wizard PI in a world where the wizards (at least the ones we know about) are weremystes, whose powers are tied to the phases of the moon and who go crazy the 3 nights of the months when they are the most powerful. I preordered the sequel after finishing it, and Amazon let me know it would be shipping next week. However, the Kindle version came out almost 2 weeks ago:

His Father's Eyes

Yeah, I know this is a garbage pitch, but I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who read the 1st book.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Speaking of Foxglove Summer, I just finished it there now. I enjoyed it a lot, but the ending was a bit abrupt. Normally, it'd finish with a bit of an after-action report, you know, "Here's what happened next," but not so much this time.

The other books were a lot better about that, so Foxglove's abrupt ending felt weird. There was an epilogue chapter exclusive to a certain UK bookseller or something, but I'm not sure what was in it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

I was the one who tossed that recommendation, didn't realize the sequel was already out, thanks for the heads up.

It ended up being a really quick read, but I wasn't disappointed. Without spoiling anything, I liked that the author retroactively made the narrator unreliable to an extent, which solved the fact that the ending of the first book sorta wrote the world into a corner. Everything we know about the world is what Fearsson knows, and he seems to have learned everything from magic-(not)ghost Namid. Namid claims to have never lied (I won't bother to check what he said in the first book) to him, but just deliberately didn't tell Fearsson everything right away. So, the world gets bigger, and the ending of the first book becomes a little less significant in retrospect, but it makes this series as a whole more viable.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Veiled, the next Alex Verus novel, is out now.

gently caress yeah, hope it doesnt suck

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

But a lot of books that use magic still have magic explainable by science, it just either has the ability to violate certain rules or just that science doesn't understand specific things yet.

Combining magic and technology inevitably leads to authors jerking themselves off by having their characters transform magic into systematized and quantified technology so that nerds like them can become wizards too. The interest in magic is that it is unknown and new and special. In order to combine it with technology, the world has to understand magic and then its just boring science.

And you know what? As someone with a physics degree, rationalizing "magic breaks modern technology!!!" is still pretty easy! You just make up a reason! Like, I could say that magic modifies the bandgaps of nearby semiconductors. "bbbut that's incompatible with known physics!!!" says the loving sperg. You know what else is incompatible with physics? Magic, motherfucker. Clearly, stories where magic exists take place in a world with sufficiently different physics to justify making magic breaking computers and being dope as gently caress.

gently caress nerds forever

edit: also, libriomancer is dumb as poo poo and belongs in the trash

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I think the general sense was that he felt magic was going away and considering all the poo poo he had gone through with most of his friends and colleagues dying, he was happy to let it diminish. Why bother keeping a full complement of supernatural police if there's nothing to police?

I believe there is a specific quote from Nightingale where he explicitly mentions that they all just assumed that magic was going away because after Ettersberg the insular magical community was torn apart, and they all woke up to a wider world that now had jets and computers and no need of magic..

Additionally, after Ettersberg most British were dead or quit the business, and most of the wizards of europe were dead at the hands of the Nazis, or died fighting for them. There was no real need for wizards and magic if there were no more magic users to guard against for God and country.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
The fact that people who tried to rig the nominations for political reasons are now complaining that a reaction to their bad-faith tactics is political is pretty great.

Unrelated: I found this image from the audio book version of storm front and it is also pretty great

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

mistaya posted:

I think the rise of the Fomor has a lot to do with the recent Outsider activity because I think they either worship the outsiders or have some ties to them. There's been mention that (Cold days) someone was in charge of guarding the Outer Gates BEFORE Winter took over, but ended up getting corrupted and failing their duty and I'm personally convinced it was them.

I don't think they mentioned any corrupted guardians in Cold Days. I do believe that Mother Winter said that in this age holding the Outer Gates is the responsibility of Winter. She never mentions who had the duty before Winter. My theory is that this was before the Seelie and Unseelie courts even existed. Skin Game gives a hint that maybe the queen's mantles had a different form thousands of years ago. They find the statues of Hecate with the faces of the Queens--but Hecate was a 3-faced goddess, not a 6-faced one. Did something happen to cause a split between Winter and Summer?.

Also in Welcome to the Jungle. wasn't the hag trying to ascend and become Hecate? Is that mantle currently available? (Of course, its just as likely that as a graphic novel, this story may need to be retconned or reinterpreted in light of where the series went)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I finally got a copy of the new Dresden RPG book The Paranet Papers. It's from a perspective in between Changes and Ghost Story, but still has a lot to add about how magic really works and at least a little on how Harry is unique. I haven't read the whole book yet but let me drop my biggest revelation so far on you.

Harry is uniquely hard on tech. All wizards have that quality, but for no understood reason Harry has it at an unusually strong level. Three members of the council in close proximity don't match his inadvertent effect on technology.

Isn't this something that Harry specifically acknowledges and comments on at least once in the books?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Khizan posted:

Everything you see Luccio do is very tightly controlled; I always got the impression that Dresden was stronger but Luccio was better.

Yeah, Butcher points out multiple times that Luccio is able to make much better use of the power she has by flinging around super thin death rays instead of huge dumb columns of fire. I think there are other mentions throughout the series of how sloppy and inefficient Harry's spells are, because he is strong enough to just throw raw power at a problem, even if most of it is wasted.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Source on this?

Lash tells Harry at the very end of the battle in the Deeps in White Night.

http://dresdenfiles.wikia.com/wiki/Starborn

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Gilok posted:

I know what he means, there's a lot of :techno: in Atrocity Archives. I still enjoyed it, but a lot of the words in that book are incomprehensible nonsense that's there to convey that the protagonist is super-smart.

When I read it, all I got was the impression that the author wanted to make me seem like he and his protagonist were really smart because he comments on Slashdot and wrote a bash script, once. gently caress that poo poo.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't get how people read any urban fantasy books then considering half of them represent people who are supposed to be very smart because they have a 10th graders knowledge of science and math. At least Harry Dresden is explicit supposed to be kind of dumb. (Except for when he's actually kind of scary-smart about very specific subject matter that happens to make magic feel more complex.)

I admit that i have a bugbear for people who get really angry at this kind of stuff but steadfastly ignore every single legal system or police officer being written so far from reality that it is less plausible than literal magic-slinging wizards. Harry Dresden not being bankrupt and in jail is actually less plausible than Harry Dresen conjuring fire out of nowhere.

I have no loving clue what this post is getting at.

Anyway, Charles Stross is a probably a dweeb who considered himself a Tech Savant for installing Linux back in the early 2000s when he wrote the Atrocity Archives, and it bleeds through to his writing in the book. I can honestly imagine him writing it in Vim in his cubicle at work, ignoring whatever computer janitorial duties he was employed to do.

EDIT: haha I was totally right. From wikipedia:

quote:

Between 1994 and 2004, he was also an active writer for the magazine Computer Shopper and was responsible for the monthly Linux column.
also,

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, what's this part? Has he written about this someone? What methods was she teaching that he worked into the book?

I think it's from this interview.

Also, lol @ the origin of Bob:

quote:

Bob the Skull came about in the same way. In fact, he’s something of an in-joke for the writers in the program at OU. Debbie Chester, my writing teacher, often warned us about producing an old and worn-out trope for our stories, called ‘talking heads’. Talking heads are characters with no real purpose in the story other than to show up and explain something so that the reader can get what’s going on. I knew that I was going to need a character who could explain things about magic to Harry (and through him to the reader) so that the magic ‘rules’ would hold together and make sense. So just to be a smart-alec to my teacher, I made a literal ‘talking head’ for Harry, who gets to serve as an advisor, a information source and an annoyance--I can’t plan a character, these days, without figuring out how it’s going to drive Harry nuts.

EDIT: oh for fucks sake

quote:

The book was then called "The Dresden Chronicles, Book One: Semiautomagic."

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Arguably a better title, since at least it wouldn't mix google results with white supremacists.

My main gripe is with "The Dresden Chronicles, Book One". I think there are enough lovely fantasy paperbacks with titles like "SHARDS OF L'JALKL: BOOK 1 OF THE BURNING QUEEN CHRONICLE" or "the oiled man: book 3 of the fuckboi cycle".

Thank god we got a lovely fantasy paperback with a slightly less stereotypical name!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
In the next book, harry puts on thorn manacles, gets on the internet for the first time, discovers goatse, and never returns

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

Not quite. He can feel his legs while nailed in CD too, but he loses feelings when he goes to violate Winter Law. My theory is that if he does so he isn't acting in accordance with his deal with Mab wherein he's the Winter Knight in exchange for his back healed.

I think in that recent Q&A with Jim Butcher, he points out that the effect of getting pierced by iron is completely different than violating winter law, and that Harry might be misunderstanding the relation, and that it's Probably Important (or something along those lines, it's a long video).

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Vicissitude posted:

Actually, wasn't there a situation where Harry said he actually could dodge a curse by hiding in the Nevernever? I seem to recall that.

This is mentioned in Storm Front when Harry goes to Mac's to borrow his car, the magic crowd is there taking Shelter. Harry says that the place wouldn't protect him from a direct attack, and that he would have to go to the Nevernever for that. The concept wasn't fully fleshed out in the first book, though (I think it also said that Bianca had "major Influence" in the Nevernever, and that a vampire could only employ powerful magic there).

Regarding the Eebs (Changes spoiler):
https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/480824029943955456

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

It was originally serialized, but then they put a guy from Charmed in control, who immediately deserialized all the episodes.

In case anyone wants to here Jim talk about this:
youtube link

edit:apparently the autoformatting of youtube links into the video tag strips out the time tag

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 13, 2015

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
So, there was a new Dresden Files short story in an anthology called Unbound last year named "Jury Duty". I had assumed it would have taken place earlier in the book chronology, but nope it's taking place after Skin Game because the 1st page starts with Will Borden helping Harry move his stuff off the island.

gonna b gud

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

orange sky posted:

Guys, I've read all the Dresden books and I need something like it to just shut my brain off and have a lot of fun reading. Any suggestions?

the Rivers of London series is good and cool and nice. the audio books are excellent.
Alex Verus is dumb and cool
The Rook is dope
Daniel Faust is bad

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

From some of the book tour questions he answered, I got the impression that he wanted to try to tie up (or at least address) tons of existing plot threads that the past couple books were able to temporarily ignore, so I'm not surprised by the delay. Hopefully peace talks isn't Butcher's "meereenese knot".

The structure of the series is starting to do it a disservice now that Butcher is maintaining more long-term plot threads---each book generally spans only a few days of time, and plot wont occur offscreen, so he has to contrive a reason for Dresden to have waited so long to pick up a phone and call his drat grandfather (for instance), despite all the time he had to do so between Skin Game and Peace Talks.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 24, 2016

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

I took it. It confirmed that I'm a slow reader. I'm kinda peeved about how it presents the readers' speed, though. It's got speeds broken out by grade-level, but speed does not equal comprehension. I regularly read technical manuals; comparing my speed to an eighth grader is... a pretty unusual and meaningless metric?

Sorry that staples has insulted your personal honor, I guess

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Just finished The Girl with Ghost Eyes and I was pleasantly surprised by it. Definitely a strong start to a (potential) series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
The 3rd Justis Fearsson (god, what a bad name) book came out today:

http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Blade-Files-Justis-Fearsson/dp/1476781257

I didn't hate the first two, so I'll read this when I have a second.