Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I chalked that up as a manifestaion of the mantle on him. Sort of like all the sneaky rapey fantasies.

Yep. The mantle seems to be trying to make him more aggressive, crude, vulgar. And it seems to be doing that in ways ranging from really obvious (rapey fantasies/desires) to fairly subtle (more F-bombs, talking back more to Mab). Butcher is doing a pretty good job with that I think, and I wonder if Harry will ever realize the extent of how it's been influencing him. Probably when it comes time to drop the mantle, and he's conflicted over whether he should get rid of it or keep the power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Oroborus posted:

Thanks for the help, it's sad I haven't ever read a dresden book on anything but this kindle. Amazon says it's shot because of the age.

I'm surprised they didn't offer to replace it for you or give you a deep discount on a new one. They don't really give a crap about the hardware, all the money is in the book sales.

Edit: Since we're on Kindle discussion, anyone know when Kindle preorders become available? I'd assume midnight PST but you never know and I haven't done a preorder on a Kindle before.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Yeah if you got a copy early, I'm happy for you. But kindly gently caress off and do not post in this thread at all until the 27th at least.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Amazon just emailed me saying they had a problem with my payment for Skin Game (preordered with a CC that has since been stolen, apparently changing my Amazon payment info didn't change the preorder), so with that fixed, here's hoping it shows up in the new few minutes.

Edit: This is the Kindle version.

Edit edit: Yep, just showed up.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 27, 2014

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mars4523 posted:

Seriously, there is no limit to the amount of what the gently caress I would have for this series. Karrin Murphy, who from day one has been a capable mortal ally to Harry Dresden and who when facing any number of supernatural beasties has always been able to look after herself and kick tons of rear end (including icing two Council level warlocks on her lonesome), getting reduced to the handwringing girlfriend will basically cause me to immediately go "gently caress this" and throw all my Dresden books out.

When freaking Waldo Butters gets to become a Jedi, there's no reason in the world that Murphy should be forced to sit the good fight out.

I'm guessing that won't happen. What she'll do is play Oracle for a bit - watch Paranet, keep up with Marcone, Vadderung, and the rest, while being Harry's girlfriend and likely becoming something of a mother figure for his kids. That will eventually build up to her picking up Amoracchius in time for the next nickleheads book or the finale or whatever.

However, if he goes that route, Butcher needs to introduce another kickass female supporting character that's strong enough to stand on her own and call Harry out on his bullshit. I don't think Molly would really fit too well without a huge character change and somehow slipping out of the Winter Queen role, but I'm not sure who else he could pull out.

Edit: Regarding Butters being a serious physical threat, wasn't it stated that Shiro basically had no right to be a serious threat at his age? That doesn't seem to really matter to the swords, beyond a basic level of training. And hey: Characters change. I'd rather see changes that seem kind of silly on the face of it than characters that stay exactly the same forever.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 28, 2014

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

navyjack posted:

Murphy is getting a coin.

drat, that makes a lot of sense. I'd be down for that, 100%. Hell, given that it's The Dresden Files, I wonder if, given a good enough cause, she could have Lasciel's coin and Amoracchius simultaneously. I mean, not as a lasting thing, but now I'm imagining everyone panicking because some Big Bad is about to eat Maggie and Dresden (followed shortly after by the world) and Murph-Lasciel bursts in with the Sword of Love and kicks its rear end.

Or whichever Denarian, I actually agree that Lasciel is pretty unlikely at this point.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 28, 2014

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

Whoever keeps talking about Murphy possibly taking up Lasciel's coin. Did you not read the book?

Lasciel and Ursiel's coins are both stuck in Hades's Underworld. There is no way for them to come back unless Hades sends them back.

But it also talks about how the coins are meant to be in circulation. I'd be shocked if those coins never show up again. I'd assume that the Knights/the Church have done lots of things with the coins that they shouldn't have been able to come back from. This one might take a while but I'm betting they'll be back by the finale.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

which is odd because per the AMA Sinthorax's hoard is still sitting untouched, because it is all cursed. What could Ferro have that he wants less protection for? Stuff he wants safe but still needs regular access to? Stuff for his agents (assuming he had any) maybe?

And while I'm on that it is really weird Molly only has access to < $1 billion. Maybe Mab doesn't trust her? Or maybe that is just liquid, and the rest is tied up in assets? Because even at average 50 year stock market returns Winter should have wealth approaching the annual GDP of G20 nations

Could just be that's where Ferrovax keeps all his paper money. After all, while useful, greenbacks aren't shiny. Or maybe he has some other reason to try to build up Marcone.

As far as Molly's funds, I'd guess that money is her discretionary fund. To Winter it's probably something along the lines of giving a kid a $20: it seems like a lot to the kid, but honestly not that much in the grand scheme of things. She's still pretty new as a Queen and so probably doesn't have casual access to the keys to the kingdom yet.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SolTerrasa posted:

Five artifacts, five points to a summoning ring, each of which needs an artifact of some kind...

an upcoming big apocalyptic trilogy...

If you can summon Mother Winter, how much harder can it be to summon Jesus?

e:

For those who don't know, at the end of the apocalypse we get the Second Coming of Christ. Comes down from heaven on a horse. Nothing that says he can't be politely asked, first!

I can't imagine Michael being too pleased about that.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mars4523 posted:

And, yeah, that scene at the Gate was just incredibly tacky. Did Harry need to strip buck naked to complete his task (with Anna Valmont and Hannah leering at him), despite the fact that the superchilled temperatures he faced would have frozen his clothes solid and immobile? Nope.

That would have been a hilarious reversal, and I wish Butcher had done that. Plus, I'm sure the cold wouldn't be doing wonders for his... appearance. Would've been a nice comeuppance for Harry. That is, if the original scene had to be the way it was in the first place.

Xtanstic posted:

Is it fair to excuse these gratuitous sexy female scenes as Lashiel the Temptress doing her flirty bit with Harry/the rest of the crew? I still don't really know where I stand on the whole issue.

Ehhhhhhh. Maybe. It's at least a reason, I don't think that fully excuses it though - it got laid on really thick.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Way to completely miss the point of most of those?

Wade Wilson posted:

Dredsen's mom was Margaret LaFay, this was answered way back in the series.

Not who as in "what was her name", who as in "She seemed to know a hell of a lot more than we do, and was manipulating events. Why?"

Wade Wilson posted:

Being a starborn gives one the ability to wield power over Outsiders; Lash outright stated this before sacrificing herself to save Harry.

Yeah but why? What makes one a starborn?

Wade Wilson posted:

Cowl is the leader of the Fomor.

I'm pretty sure you pulled that straight out of your rear end. Even if it's true, what are his/their motivations? They're doing a bunch of weird evil poo poo and nobody seems to know why.

Wade Wilson posted:

Lord Raith killed Dresden's mom, not sure about his dad.

Given.

Wade Wilson posted:

Mavra already had absurdly dangerous necromancy knowledge of a sort, she probably can't use Kemmler's teachings directly and I think Jim has said something to the effect of it being one of the few times her interests were in line with everyone else's (no new Dark Gods), but she couldn't intervene directly because a necromancer would tear her to shreds.

That's a pretty big "probably".

Wade Wilson posted:

If Nemesis has Ferrovax, everyone is hosed. He's right up there with Mab and Titania in terms of power.

Which strikes me as just the sort of thing that might happen in a Dresden book.

Wade Wilson posted:

Elaine is being Harry on the West Coast.

Again: Yeah that's the surface answer, but it would be nice to find out more about that.

Wade Wilson posted:

Mac is Out.

What does that mean? Where does he come from? What is he Out of?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SolTerrasa posted:

A movie, in this case.

Huh. A movie by a large studio might actually have the SFX budget to make it look good. Now if only they can actually, y'know, stick to the books this time.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Your Sledgehammer posted:

So I'm about a hundred pages into Storm Front and I'm really enjoying it so far. The worldbuilding and magic elements are a whole lot of fun and I like how he throws in some detective tropes as well. However, I've got to say, Harry's lack of self-confidence around women is really kind of grating and plays into all the worst "nerd who is helpless around the fairer sex" stereotypes. Does this change as the series goes on?

Yes, he gets much better by book 3 or 4, although he still has some lingering issues long after. But they're different issues after that and they're much more tolerable.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

River Shoulders seems to be a thing but the wiki I found doesn't say what book.

River Shoulders was apparently in several short stories that haven't been part of a Dresden Files anthology yet. So most readers probably haven't read them, I certainly haven't.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Hailfire posted:

I am a bit surprised that given Harry went to Hades that no mention of the Titans was made, its another connection between Harry and Hades in that they both keep imprisoned ancient evils as wardens of a prison I hope I got the spoiler tags right!

That reminds me, when I heard the plot for this book, my guess was that Harry was going to have to open a Way from somewhere in Hades and be dreading what place could be awful enough to be the real world equivalent... And come out under Demonreach. I still wouldn't be surprised if that happened at some point, though.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
If Dresden doesn't end up at the Chicago Star Wars museum in the next few books I'll be very disappointed.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

WindmillSlayer posted:

Yay! Why did they switch guys? This guy is so worse especially that Dresden is supposed to be all youthful while a spirit

The guy who does them normally just wasn't available for that one for whatever reason.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Cool, I'll give the later ones a shot then. I wasn't sure if it was a case of "if you don't like the second book, don't bother because it keeps doing stuff like that."

Yeah, it took me a while to move on to the third one because I didn't really like the second. Each of the first few take cues from classic spy novels, and #2 was Bond, which didn't work so well in my opinion. But it does mean that each novel has a pretty different feel, and I liked #3 and #4 way better than #2.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm in the middle of a series re-read and haven't got to it yet but, did the Knights of the Blackened Denarius sign the accords?

I believe they have, which is why it was a big deal when they went after Marcone. And also why Mab wanted to gently caress them over so hard in Skin Game, because Mab doesn't like people breaking the Accords.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I finished the new Laundry book last night (got it early at a B&M). It's real good.

I think I have to go reread The Fuller Memorandum now.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

navyjack posted:

Did we know from previous books that the Mandate was the Black Pharaoh? Or was that new info. Also, I didn't understand the bit at the very end where the Feeder babbles that gibberish at him? What was that about?

I didn't recall it and I didn't understand that bit either.

I also like the implication towards the end that Schiller is not only not the thing that has started to eat the US government, he is also probably not even working for the Nazgul anymore. He is in the UK in a final, desperate bid to get the hell away from whatever it is that ate the US government, and dreads going back to face it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Yep.

Also, pretty sure there's something up with Mo on the same level of Bob being the current Eater of Souls. I'm also wondering how whatever it was that Mo experienced (death and reincarnation, brief translocation to another plane, or even just the big N shielding her) has affected the baby

Word Of God (from his blog) on this is that he hasn't actually decided whether or not Mo is pregnant. That said, it's an awful big thing to just... let drop if she isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

gerg_861 posted:

On the other hand, why oh why does Chicago crime boss Gentleman Johnny Marcone have a British accent?

I’ve never listened to the audiobooks, but if it wasn’t like that before, Thorned Namshiel is described as having a British accent I think, could be Marsters got confused based on that line?

Or maybe Marsters is just psychic.