Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
So speaking of win con's, what are some good artifact/red based ones I can use for Daretti? I typically play with 3-4 friends and try to win via wurmcoil/pre-cursor golem/Bosh/hellkite igniter beatdowns. I know there is blightsteel, but he seems expensive to cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Saw some enchantress talk, so here is the Selvala, explorer returned enchantress I made: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-08-17-selvala-enchantress/
I played about two games with it so far, so still tuning the deck. My meta is not too powerful with little combo being played and Raafiq being one of the top decks.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Toshimo posted:

Every green deck should have Sylvan Library and every white deck should have Blind Obedience. Enchantress doubly so.

Ah good calls, thanks. I thought Sylvan library was a lot more expensive for some reason.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Is Mirari's Wake a GW staple? Seems powerful, but also doesn't really affect the board immediately for 5 mana.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I have a Noyan Dar deck that I put together a while back with a polymorph package in it. Whats the right number of polymorph targets and what are some good ones? So far I have Jin Gixtaxis and Iona. Maybe elesh and some eldrazi? Or stormtide leviathan or primordials?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I want to add a doomsday -> hellcarver demon stack to my kaalia deck as a combo win. Seems easy enough to disrupt that it should not overpower my group. What are some good stacks that would work in the mardu colors?

Mikaeus is probably more than I want to spend. Currently I have a kik-jikki and resto angel so could do something with that, but guess I would need either purphoros or a way to attack/take another turn.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Toshimo posted:

Are you looking for piles that win on their own without Hellcarver, or things to stack for Hellcarver to win with?

I guess I was hoping for plan A, use hellcarver dropped from kaalia to cast stack and win game. Plan B would be to have those cards still be relevant and potentially win without hellcarver. This is why I was looking at kiki-jiki resto since that could just combo out on its own if needed.

But for the pile, I guess I would start with it mainly needing hellcarver demon. Though if you have good mardu doomsday piles without hellcarver I would check that out also.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

I like these, and I appreciate the extra mind blown graphics. Baren glory is a pretty hilarious win con.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I am happy to report that I was able to successfully use the hellcarver combos that were suggested to me for kaalia via this thread. My barren glory was sadly discarded away early on, so I had to go for plan B combo. EOT Insidious dream- discard 5->swift foot boots, cast kaalia, drop hellcarver and then drop karmic guide to get kikki jikki back. Then final fortune and resto angel.

Worked out as a nice way to end a 5 player game, though easily killed by any kind of removal.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Here is my Daretti deck. I think I am fairly happy with it, maybe missing a few things. I do think I am going to cu wild ricochet though as it sat in my hand all game today without ever being useful. Any major things I might be missing from this?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-08-17-daretti/

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

I run Staff of Domination, Smokestack, Crucible, Tangle Wire, Winter Orb, waste and strip along with some spheres (3ball, SoR, and Lodestone every time and occasionally Thorn) and a slightly heavier pile of LD (more wildfires, sometimes Obliterate) but I'm an rear end in a top hat. With as much acceleration and mana cheating as Daretti can pull off, and as few answers as you get in red, it's best to do what you can to make that first advantage permanent. Other cards that have done good work there: Blood Moon effects, City of Traitors, Uba Mask, Thousand Year Elixir (kinda sketchy sometimes but great with Welder and Metalworker), and Coercive Portal. If money is no object (or you're playing online), Workshop and Bazaar are both obviously great.

I might add a couple of these, but I don't want to go full stax yet as my normal playgroups already had a lot of trouble dealing with torpor orb and ensnaring bridge.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

checkplease, if I were going to pick a few cards to put in I'd prioritize Staff of Nin (forgot this one the first time around) and Uba Mask, and probably Blood Moon and Winter Orb for mana denial. If you've got cold feet about those last two I'd probably go with your picks of Trash for Treasure, Hangarback Walker, and Walking Ballista. I think the cuts I'd make are Soul of New Phyrexia (you have Forge, also you never really want to be holding 5 up), Recoup (7 targets is not enough), Wild Ricochet (again, when are you holding up 4?), and Ruby Medallion (you're rarely getting this to pay for itself in an artifact deck).

Thanks. These are good adds. Yeah I had been debating on using staff of nin or goblin cannon for the staff of domination win con. Both have some merits, draw vs. removal, but guess I will just try each out.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Finally got to untap with my metalworker in my daretti deck. Daretti returns planar bridge and metalworker taps for 8 to activate it. Card is so good.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Any input on my Animar morph themed deck: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-12-17-animar-morph/?cb=1519882817

Hadrana's climb and immortal sun are probably on the chopping block, but I just got them in some packs, so want to try them out at least. I also do want to keep a certain amount of morph creatures in it to keep it on theme.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Toshimo posted:

You are using the wrong morph creatures. You have basically no mana and everything in your deck is hungry for it. Like, you have Lifecrafter's Bestiary, but when would you ever have the G to spare for it? You should be dumping a bunch of fat morph dudes in play and then using some sort of mass flicker to flip them for free or going real hard on the pickles combo to lock people out. Either way, you need some shuffles and tutors to really capitalize on Vizier, and could probably use a storm card or two to combo off with Ancestral statue.

Just to give you an idea, :f5: this a bit and tell me if you ever see a hand that does anything: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-12-17-animar-morph/draw/

Wow, didnt even know tapped out had that draw hand feature. You are right, the deck does need more mana sources. If I can get animar out, the morphs become free quickly and its easier to flip them, but yeah without him, they do slow a lot.
The flicker/fat morph is probably more effective, but I find the gotcha morph cards more fun. Still I think I will cut some for some ramp.

What are the storm finishers, grapeshot?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Toshimo posted:

Greatness, at any cost.

Is dark confidant playable in any decks? I have had one in a binder for a long time.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Is port used in EDH? I guess there is a lot of other lands that just destroy lands.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
How does that work? And Sygg always seemed underwhelming to me.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Was thinking of putting together a toshiro umezawa deck. Any good lists out there? One thing I wasn't sure of though is how he would win, maybe just big black mana or some re-animator?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Fyodorovich posted:

I’ve been having fun with a couple updates to my Daretti deck (list here.)

Finally replaced Comet Storm with Walking Ballista and it feels so much better. Magus of the Moon is also a recent addition. He makes me want to bring Gauntlet of Might back just for the eventual Damping Sphere once Dominaria drops. :black101:

Warping Wail is the newest change and I haven’t had the chance to test it out quite yet, but I love me some modal spells and it seems like it could be fairly solid.

Anyone else running fun Daretti lists?

Here is my current Daretti list. I just picked up a sphere of resistance so I will be making room for that (probably cutting codex shredder).
https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-08-17-daretti/

This is probably my favorite deck, but i am definitely finding you need more ways to lock down the board to keep daretti alive. Ensnaring bridge has been really good in my playgroups as people win mainly through creatures.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Trying to decide if Comeuppance is worth playing in some of my decks with white. The effect seems fun, especially in my more casual meta where creature damage wins games, but holding up 4 mana seems like a lot..

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah there are probably better options. I guess I was just thinking of ways to fight the unexpected tainted strike that killed me, but yeah maybe just more point removal.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Threw together a Toshiro Umezawa deck with mostly what I had at home. What are some good instants to be playing? It seems like most of the black instants are just kill spells outside of some others like vampiric tutor and entomb.

Plan so far is to win with a necrotic ooze, triskelion, and phyrexian devourer combo, or a big rain of hail fire/exsanguigate.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Which of the swords is the best for commander? Considering getting one for my toshiro list. Because well, he needs a sword as well as a jitte.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Sadly none of the sagas look that great, though I will still try some in my enchantress deck just because of the nice art.

Was thinking of trying new karn and the historic quicksilver amulet in Daretti. But not sure either are worth it.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
How many basics are needed for land tax in a deck? I think I haver about 11-12 in my Kaalia currently.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I am interested in trying reality scramble in my daretti deck. Being able to turn daretti into an Ugin or Karn seems useful for when I am having trouble with some enchantment hate or just need a big board wipe.

Also can make a blood moon into a stranglehold or vice verse depending on which would be more effective.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Would Bruna and Gisela be worth spots in a Kaalia deck? The fused Brisela seems great for slowing others, but the individual angels don't seem the strongest.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Counterpoint: getting to fuse them is more likely to outright end the game the more competitive the table, and the only real "end the game on the spot" cards available are Razaketh and situationally Sire of Insanity, Rune-Scarred Demon, Iona, and Kuro, Pitlord, so I'd say there's room for them as a two-card combo that "ends the game" at least as efficiently as Iona, Kuro and Sire do. At least Gisela is decent business when Kaalia gets removed and Bruna can get you some value as a later-game draw. It's not like you're really that short on card slots for things to cheat in.

I will probably give Brisela a try since they are both cheap anyways. How does Kuro, Pitlord end games though? From wiping creatures?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I've put together a new Lazav reanimator deck. Main win conditions are nooze combo or Mike/Trik. But I was wondering if its worth adding phyrexian dreadnaught. Being able to beat for 12 I suppose could be another way to win or pressure decks if needed, but I don't see the dreadnaught having a lot of other uses. I will post list when I get it all on tapped out.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Thoughts on my new Lazav reanimator list?
https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-03-19-lazav-reanimator/?cb=1552535913

Havent got a chance to play with it too much yet, so still feeling it out. I think I might be a little land light at least. Any standout cards that I am missing or shouldn't run?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Toshimo posted:

I wouldn't run Lazav.

So I thought I would run him as a copy of necrotic ooze in the command zone. Main strategy would be to try to win by getting ooze, trisk, and phyrexian devourer in the graveyard via buried alive or other means, and then just use lazav to copy the ooze or be a backup copy of ooze. Along the way I figured he could copy value creatures like jace, glen elendra and dark confidant. Then I just reanimate big creatures the normal way for value or to interfere with opponents.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Dreadnaught is cool, but its one of those cards that's lower on my priority list to buy since it only fits a couple decks.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah jin and elesh norn are pretty common reanimation targets when you don't have the combo creature.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Any good ideas for a morophon build? I opened a foil one so feel like I should try putting something together. I don't want to do slivers at least as there is one in my playgroup already.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Gotta agree with the weakness of morph. I have played an animar morph deck for a little while now, and really the wins came from animar doing broken animar things with cloudstone curio loops or that one artifact creature and eldrazi/tidesprout. Actually flipping most morph creatures was rarely worth the card. Most are just too expensive for their effect (beyond maybe willbender or stratus dancer).
But at least I have a nice mana base which can transfer to a new deck or make an actual animar build.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
manglehorn at least takes something out. Sometimes collector just dies immediately. But I like playing both.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Infinite Karma posted:

Is anyone still giving Oathbreaker a try?

Sorin Reanimator

They just unbanned Recurring Nightmare, so I built a combo deck to make it work.

Go infinite with Priest of Gix, Felidar Guardian, and Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord (among other lines).

Ive been playing oathbreaker weekly with coworkers at lunch. Its pretty fun so far, but we are fairly low powered. No big combos yet. I am mainly using it as a format to play cards in my collection that have just been sitting in binders. I think the lower life totals helps speeds things up some.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Bust Rodd posted:

Okay, so last night I played 3 games of Morophon in a very annoying pod.

It went me on 5-color Eldrazi, a super tuned Krenko, Mob Boss, a Gishath, and Rashmi. What I didn’t know when we started was that Dinosaurs and Simic dude were running actual zero answers apparently, and Krenko hit T2 Krenko all 3 games and kept blowing up all our lands.

After those stomps I swapped to Grevan, and the very first time I cast Chandra’s Ignition in my life was to deal 40 lifelinking damage to 10 creatures and 3 players at once. Goddam that felt good.

So after that I played a game with Daretti and it left me with this:

Treasonous Ogre is the strongest red card in EDH. It feels like Griselbrand every time I draw it. Does anyone think there is a stronger red card in this format? I’d love to hear your ideas.
Somehow I haven't tried the ogre yet. But gamble is a pretty great one to add to the list also.

Whats your morophon list like? I have a foil one I have been meaning to create a deck for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone tried edh online with tabletop simulator? And if so, any recommended tables? It has worked well so far for other board games at least.