Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I keep having trouble sticking to one deck. I think part of the problem is that a lot of them do similar things slightly different ways. At this point, I have Zedruu, original Sigarda, Riku, Karador, Purphoros, Tasigur, Atraxa, Sydri and Brago built.

I'm thinking to get a deck I'm committed to, I need to have a real plan rather than just "it'd be cool if I do that, too." Here are my current thoughts:

* Mono-green Selvala. Does something mostly different from the others (Riku is probably most similar?) and doesn't have a target attached to her head quite as badly as some other commanders.

* Narset. Just, gently caress it, go whole hog. Should be different enough from Atraxa even if I go superfriends, but has a giant target.

* Oloro. Yawn. But he can be effectively built more ways than, for example, Narset.

* Double down on one of the existing decks.

* Something else.

Thoughts on these/suggestions on others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

I don't see how most of those decks overlap. Of course, we don't have lists, so it's hard to say, but:

Zedruu - Very unique play style wherein you donate nasty things to opponents.
Sigarda - This could be built in any number of directions
Riku - copy copy copy
Karador - Graveyard based recursion deck
Purphoros - Red tokens
Tasigur - You can do pretty much anything with this
Atraxa - same
Sydri - Artifact combo/aggro
Brago - ETB value/prison

I could see Sigarda/Purphoros and Tasigur/Atraxa overlapping, but even they don't have to overlap. Instead of buying another deck that you will get tired of, I would just retune one or two decks that you already have, save some cash, and flex those deck building muscles.

My bad. Can't do decklists from work, but more specifically:

Zedruu: not nasty; ETB value, but with asymmetry; includes Purphoros as a major win con.

Sigarda: Voltron primary, creature swarm backup.

Riku: ETB value, but with copying and planeswalkers, also includes Purphoros.

Karador: ETB value, but with reanimation.

Purphoros: Purphoros.

Tasigur: control, has a Doomsday win combo for laughs.

Atraxa: superfriends with some Tasigur overlap.

Sydri: control with artifact shenanigans.

Brago: ETB value, but with stuff not in the other ETB value decks.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

I don't know if this helps, but one of my number one factors in sticking with a deck long-term is its ability to play differently from game to game and win in different ways.

This is probably the root of the issue, actually. Sigarda voltrons up and swings once I have enough protection for her, Tasigur finds the Doomsday combo or gets Urborg/Coffers/Thespian's Stage and Exsanguinates for a bunch, Sydri...honestly isn't built that well.

hoobajoo posted:

I'd suggest either a spell slinging deck, dedicated combo deck, or a prison deck, as those will be very different to your typical play patterns.

The problem with heavy combo and prison decks is that my playgroup hates them and won't play against them more than once. Purphoros is as close as I have right now, as it's a deck that ends games quickly when I don't like one or more of the other players, which unfortunately comes in handy when playing EDH.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

As someone who once had 12+ edh decks, you can probably break a few of em down, if you're anything like me, I was only playing about half of the decks I had built.

Probably. I do try to bring different decks with me every week to combat that tendency.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

So here are the decklists I had available (no Purphoros or Brago lists but they're probably exactly what you'd expect; no Sydri list right now and it's probably worse than you'd expect):

Riku: http://deck.tk/6g3x1lHG
Zedruu: http://deck.tk/58Un6ekQ
Karador: http://deck.tk/5MhY6QXR
Atraxa: http://deck.tk/7sv10lxT
Tasigur: http://deck.tk/5AES7Dnq
Sigarda: http://deck.tk/5BAg7kgW
Yidris: http://deck.tk/2qdc3DcN (I forgot to even mention this one; it was a failed experiment, really)

So, yeah, anything I can do to tune these much better or condense them would be appreciated.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

So here are the decklists I had available (no Purphoros or Brago lists but they're probably exactly what you'd expect; no Sydri list right now and it's probably worse than you'd expect):

Riku: http://deck.tk/6g3x1lHG
Zedruu: http://deck.tk/58Un6ekQ
Karador: http://deck.tk/5MhY6QXR
Atraxa: http://deck.tk/7sv10lxT
Tasigur: http://deck.tk/5AES7Dnq
Sigarda: http://deck.tk/5BAg7kgW
Yidris: http://deck.tk/2qdc3DcN (I forgot to even mention this one; it was a failed experiment, really)

So, yeah, anything I can do to tune these much better or condense them would be appreciated.

Here's Sydri: http://deck.tk/7Gul3bz6

I think I've settled on keeping Atraxa, Riku, Sigarda and Sydri. With that in mind, what should I do to make those four decks better, more resilient and have more variety in play? Figure I have access to anything in the other decklists and anything reasonably cheap right now.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Anyone got any fun recommendations for a Riku deck? I've got a handful of other doppelganging creatures and effects to try and maximize my ETB value. I also like morph creatures because they make me nostalgic.

https://deckstats.net/decks/129/355-imitation-rug

Stuff I've already got on my Get List: Mulldrifter, Dragonmaster Outcast, Coiling Oracle, Animar Soul of Elements. Haven't ordered them yet because I wanna get some more ideas first.

Doubling Season/Parallel Lives, Flameshadow Conjuring, Kiki-Jiki+Zealous Conscripts, Avenger of Zendikar, signets, Sol Ring, Erratic Portal, Cultivate/Kodama's Reach/Harrow. Don't play Reliquary Tower. Even with morph nostalgia, I wouldn't play Zoetic Cavern.

You've got a lot going on that doesn't synergize with Riku.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

I haven't tried Biovisionary before, I just thought it would be fun. Is that kind of thing frowned upon in casual EDH play?

Nah, if you can get four of him and they can't kill one, you earned it. Go hog wild.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

It started as just a Highlander deck before I knew about EDH, and for a while I was using Intet, the Dreamer as my general, but I figured it was time I try to make it a proper EDH deck. I do like the idea of silly biovisionary shenanigans though. I'll have to get a Rite of Replication too.

That makes sense. And Rite is a great addition.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Unless they do double duty as something else, like Solitary Confinement, which is an awesome defensive card if you have zedruu or a temple bell or whatever active.

Solitary Confinement has been in my Zedruu deck since day 1, and I don't think I've ever donated it. It's always been better off on my side of the table when I cast it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

Isn't it outshined by the other 2-3 CMC options for permanents that cantrips on ETB? Does he get any value from randomly making a land an island?

The value is from switching it on any turn to whichever land you care most about screwing with. You can drop it early to hose someone on colors and move it to something better later.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Toshimo posted:

This deck is hideously offensive to me on a personal level because not only does it have no way to win, but you smugly boast that you were kingmaking for a better deck, which is the kind of thing that makes me actively avoid people. This is a free-for-all format, and while alliances can exist, basically having to play 1v2 against a deck that literally cannot win running interference for another deck is actively against the stated goal of the game.

To be fair, my impression wasn't that he was kingmaking, but that his deck was such a hate target that the Nekusar player got less hate than normal.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Balon posted:

For sure - and its easy to pilot (imo). I've jammed a lot of it and, while you have a few paths to victory, the easiest one is super straightforward.

Have a list?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Blind Obedience.

Also Purphoros.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Aranan posted:

Scourge enters (1)
Utvara enters (3)
Haste dragon enters (6)
Throne enters (10)

This is actually 4-8-12-16. Every Scourge trigger will see four total Dragons.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ah, poo poo, you're right. My bad.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

So i was digging through some cards and randomly found a Breed Lethality precon.

Are there any fun decks to build with Atraxa, Praetor's Voice for kitchen table games or should I just focus on making lots of creature tokens and turning poo poo sideways?

It's fun to build Superfriends proliferate if you don't want red planeswalkers, but she's not really a competitive commander.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

They don't have to be Tier One Competitive, but what are the good decks out there right now that usually win by Turning Dudes Sideways and don't bank on assembling a combo or trying to do the same thing every game?

I stepped away from EDH a few months ago while waiting for everyone locally to get durdle.dek out of their systems, and they haven't, so now I want to show them why they should have. If I just build Doomsday Grenzo or something like that, they won't learn anything.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Some kind of hatebears deck is what you're looking for. Slow them down, stop them from playing things, hit them in the face.

The list I posted a few posts ago might be a good starting point for you if you go that route.

So I did go that route. I don't know that what I have here is built well, though, so posting it to be torn apart: http://deck.tk/9cRF7r0X

It's mostly stuff I have; I'm trying not to spend much on this deck since I haven't been playing very frequently, but I'm open to picking up a couple things if they're reasonable.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, Maro regularly sets aside time to tell people "no, we're not going back to Kamigawa, it was horribly received as a world independently of the low power of the cards, and even if we thought we could Do It Right This Time there's no chance we could convince the decision-makers of that when doing something new doesn't require us to change the minds of a whole lot of customers who didn't like it last time." If anything, the small but fervent Kamigawa fanbase makes it more likely to see Kamigawa stuff in supplemental products, like Yuriko here.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Danger Diabolik posted:

Thanks!
What would you recommend cutting for the rocks and Disciple of Bolas?

Unstable Obelisk is very slow. Barter in Blood and Syphon Mind don't seem to help your gameplan as much as they annoy your opponents. Ornithopter looks like it's just there to be a cheap creature. I'd start with those.

Also, you should probably be running Blood Artist as well as Zulaport Cutthroat. And I promise you do not need Reliquary Tower.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Vorinclex was the GO-TO green finisher in my meta.

I keep trying to parse this and I can't comprehend what kind of meta this would be. Even the most budget-conscious people I've played with either had a Craterhoof to win the game the turn it came down, a Tooth and Nail and two winning targets, or Sabertooth + Ballista/some other infinite mana instant win. What does Vorinclex finish?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

PJOmega posted:

I'm curious as to the -3 card metric.

Three opponents who don't mulligan = you're down three cards against the not-you portion of the table.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yeah no I get what you're saying there but even granting all of that I don't understand why you say one card is three cards. How is going from 21 vs 7 to 21 vs 6 a difference of -3?

Don't think of it as 21 vs 7, think about it as 7 vs 7, 7 vs 7, and 7 vs 7. Then if you mulligan, it's 7 vs 6, 7 vs 6, 7 vs 6. You're evaluating your card (dis)advantage against each of your opponents.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Aniodia posted:

Gonna quickly cut in here and say this guy seems to be a drat-near staple in Gitrog decks, at least in my area.

Gitrog, Titania of course, Mazirek, Muldrotha are all places I've seen it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Ixidor seems solidly win-more and also 8 mana before you get your first morph off is bad value even for battlecruiser EDH.

NO COUNTERS NO LD NO INFECT NO DAMAGE BEFORE TURN 8

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

axeil posted:

Thanks for the advice! I cut the 3 basics (1 of each), Commander's Sphere and Arcane Denial. If I cut 3 Planeswalkers, what should I replace them with? I was debating putting in Temporal Manipulation, Contagion Engine and/or Demonic Tutor but they're a bit pricey ($10-20ish) and I wasn't sure if they were worth it.

edit: Rings of Brightearth is another but lol at paying the $40ish it's going for right now.

Put one of the basics back and cut Reliquary Tower.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

axeil posted:

With all the card draw it's not worth it to have a way to get infinite hand size?

Nope. There's no deck where it's worth it, and especially not in a three-color deck that's playing mostly basics. It's a dead card in your opening hand, and any time you end up with more than 7 cards in your hand, you should be able to narrow it down to 7 that actually matter and discard the chaff.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also I thought the Commander Pre-Con decks were primarily aimed at new (Commander) Players?

This year's are bad enough to question the idea of them being aimed at any players at all.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

Paradox ban is bad because there are equally if not more powerful/consistent combos that are still out there, but there is one less valid alternative to them. It'll reduce deck diversity, not increase it.

Still the best take on Paradox Engine.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zedd posted:

Me, my GF and our local stores might have been doing it wrong but that is how we always treated it. The commander dies/is exiled etc, and then you (can) send it to the command zone. Like that seems logical to me/us ?

Like the death/exile goes on the stack, poo poo triggers, and when resolving you can put it into the command zone. Seems logical to me.

Yeah, that's wrong. Death doesn't go on the stack, death is "the creature has gone to the graveyard." If you apply the replacement effect and put it in the command zone instead of the graveyard, then nothing triggers off its "death."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

S.J. posted:

Temple of the False God

Do not play Temple of the False God in Neheb or in any other deck.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Tarnop posted:

e: I'm also not opposed to changing the commander if there's a better option

I think a more fun way of playing the R/B reanimator game is to play Grenzo, play other haste effects like Anger, new Purphoros, maybe Urabrask, to replace that part of Chainer's text, and then add some repeatable "put things on the bottom of my library" effects for when you don't have a better reanimate effect.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

weird vanilla posted:

I think you’re quick to dismiss the relevance of something that actually happened, especially given the distribution problem that resulted from it. True-Name Nemesis being a Legacy-playable card meant Mind Seize was perpetually sold out at any store you went to, while 20-30 copies of Nature of the Beast sat unsold on shelves.WotC only distributed C2013 in the 5-packs, which created an awkward supply and demand issue as a result. That was bad business for everyone involved.

You're basically making the point you think you're arguing against. If WotC had released five decks that all had valuable or at least desirable "EDH staple" reprints, there wouldn't have been the massive sales imbalance, or the massive stock issues in general. Instead, they released four decks' worth of garbage, and, in their ignorance, one deck that had a card that was garbage in EDH but an immediate Legacy staple.

EDIT:

weird vanilla posted:

I don’t believe the people WotC has on the case are apt enough to identify those kinds of cards as being in-demand for reprints. I think you hit the nail squarely on the head as far as Sheldon and crew being out of touch with what makes an edh deck effective outside of the battlecruiser/kitchen table meta.

At least we can all agree that WotC and Sheldon are lovely card evaluators. Though I'd add that the man who rushed to ban Sylvan Primordial is probably also out of touch with what makes an EDH deck effective inside of the battlecruiser/kitchen table meta.

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 11, 2020

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Grevlek posted:

I didn't know enough about the situation and that seems like the perfect place for a card to go into Core 15 or whatever.

If they released five precons, and there was only one playable card out of the lot, people should have the confidence that it will show up this summer in the core set at some level.

Instead you get players/speculators spiking a single product, and WotC with it's hands in it's pockets like oh shucks it was popular what are you gonna do???

It's like having an emergency outlet switch for hot fire, but instead you drop it in a core set

Putting True-Name Nemesis in the next core set would have required them to also immediately ban it from Standard (and probably Modern), which made the chances of it being printed in a core set less than zero.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

We have supplemental products for this exact reason. Including a booster pack made entirely for commander coming out in a month. I dont see why these things need to go into standard legal booster packs.

Like if your argument is that those packs are more expensive then the solution is to make them cheaper, not make standard booster packs have feel bad rares in them.

Yeah, Limited suffers both in quality of play and in number of players when there are too many garbage rares. You don't get "fun" out of people knowing that, if they sit down to draft, they might open stuff like Deflecting Swat or Commander's Insignia as their rare. You get fewer drafters.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I've had my ~15 EDH decks sitting in my closet for a while, and I've been looking for time/an excuse to take them apart and make better ones. I just got the excuse: I have friends inside my COVID bubble who don't have their own decks, but who want to come over and play casually while hanging out. So per their request, I'm trying to come up with six or so decks that are all roughly the same power level but play somewhat differently; I'm not up to this task, so I'm asking for help. Here are my current ideas, but I am very, very interested in suggestions; I've always leaned toward building decks powerfully, not as much with an eye toward keeping them balanced.

- Artifacts (Breya? Sydri?)
- Blink (Brago)
- Copies/Tokens (Riku)
- Lands (Golos, almost certainly)
- Planeswalkers (Atraxa)
- Reanimator (Karador? Meren?)
- Sea creatures (This one is my gf's pet deck. Zegana's the current commander; considering Arixmethes instead, or Gyruda if she's OK with UB, or any other suggestions)
- Voltron (original Sigarda)

According to EDHrec, the most popular themes I don't have here are Aristocrats/Sacrifice (which would be Korvold or Teysa), lifegain (no, thanks), wheels (probably not, thanks), and Pod (Vannifar).

Which five or six of these would be easiest to balance against each other? I'm worried about Atraxa superfriends in particular; maybe making that a counters deck instead would be preferable?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah. I'm iffy on The Crowd Goes Wild. I like it as a form of evasion (trample) for my hydras, but otherwise it's one of the weakest x-cost spells. I just needed someone ITT to tell me that out loud. That'll probably be cut.

I don't think looking for evasion is a bad call (I do think The Crowd Goes Wild is the wrong way to do it). Cards like Eldrazi Monument, Archetype of Imagination, Thunderfoot Baloth or Primal Rage could work in a deck at this power level. Or if you want to get extra fancy, run out Sun Quan, Lord of Wu.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Robviously posted:

I thought the problem was that the Companion condition was free in EDH so it was just all upside.

Lutri is also not anywhere near as backbreaking now that they changed how companions work so unban the otter, I guess, is my warm take.

Unbanning Lutri means that any/every deck with blue and red gets to be 101 cards with a tutorable Fork, unless they decide not to be. That's not the kind of thing the RC tends to think is OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

As I mentioned a while back, I'm condensing and updating my EDH decks, and I'm primarily looking to get a handful that are roughly similar power levels and viable to play against each other, for the times when it's safe to see other people and those other people don't have their own decks. Here's what I've managed to come up with, and I'd appreciate more eyes on these/constructive criticism.

Alela. Win conditions: turning flyers sideways; Heliod/Ballista; Enchanted Evening/(Archon of Sun's Grace or Ajani's Chosen)/Blood Artist effect/sac outlet; Reservoir/Citadel/Top

Alesha. Win conditions: turning efficient creatures sideways; Redcap/Anafenza/sac outlet; Kiki-Jiki/Bell-ringer or Guardian; Master of Cruelties

Muldrotha. Win conditions: turning creatures from my graveyard sideways; Mikaeus/Triskelion or Ballista; Vraska ultimate

Purphoros. Win conditions: turning token creatures sideways; Purphoros; Kiki or Twin/Conscripts; Kiki/Celebrant

Riku. Win conditions: turning creature copies sideways; Explosion with infinite mana; Kiki/Conscripts; Craterhoof and/or Finale

The main thing I'm not sure about is the interaction. I'm out of practice building EDH decks, and I'm unsure if I'm going too deeply into too many win conditions and not including enough ways to interfere with the other players' win conditions.