Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Deckit posted:

I think staff of domination is banned in EDH. But among friends it doesn't really matter (until you do something stupid and oppressive).

Recently unbanned. See here, under 'deck construction': http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

As for buffing Tromokratis, you could just go with the painfully obvious route of color-swords you already have color swords, or the why-not-just-one-shot-them option in Strata Scythe.

EDIT: Oh! Or Runechanter's Pike, given the rest of your build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Elephant Ambush posted:

I've been told that Ezuri is the optimal elf general so I'm probably gonna go with him, every mana dork, every elf lord, some elf token makers, and then just overrun people. It'll probably be a 1v1 deck because if I have to attack people to win that's gonna make multiplayer really hard.

It's not needing to kill people with combat that makes elf tribal hard in multiplayer, it's that you'll be running a billion sweepable non-cantripping creatures.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The last time I saw a Pariah lock, I cloned it - it turned out that MY deck could beat a resolved Pariah lock, but his could not. :getin:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Let me pile on and suggest that if you're binning dudes to summon a demon, Reaper from the Abyss wants to be that demon.

vvv EDIT: I didn't say Rune-Scarred Demon doesn't also want to be that demon. Just trying to give some ideas for more useful demons.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 12, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I'm kind of surprised to see Ezuri without his best bro from Standard, Copperhorn Scout. Attack with your mana dorks, then use them for pumps.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Also, aren't there other "destroy all enchantments" cards besides Tranquility?

Oh jesus, there's a ton in monogreen. Tranquil Grove is literally an enchantment that does nothing but dispense Tranquility as an activated ability. Serene Heart and Tranquil Domain hose Auras and non-Auras, respectively, as 1G instants. Reverent Silence does tranquility for 0 mana as long as you control a forest.

Problem creatures are a real issue in monogreen, though. My usual answers are Beast Within and Ulvenwald Tracker.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Elephant Ambush posted:

What would you suggest I take out for those?

I kind of hate this question - you're going to know what the weak spots in your deck are better than anyone else.

That said, some stuff leaps out at me as weak:
Bloodline Shaman - An elf that taps to do nothing, far too often.
Mul Daya Channelers - A 3-drop 2/2 that sometimes becomes a non-evasive fatty and sometimes makes extra mana.

Stuff I don't see:
Soul of the Harvest - Primordial Sage, but with a better body, and he DOES trigger off of Genesis Wave/Skyshroud Poacher.
Masked Admirers - Kind of a lovely price/body ratio, but it cantrips, and it self-recurs.

I can't really recommend trying to ramp with mana dorks in EDH, but supposing you can make it work, it's probably fine to cut Rampant Growth and Nature's Lore - you have lots of 1-for-1 ramp spells as it is.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

My monogreen commander is Yeva, which is a lot of fun with such as Seedborn Muse, but wanting to do stuff on other people's turns makes classic hate cards like Hall of Gemstone and City of Solitude work poorly.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I figure I'll ask you guys this before braving the howling wasteland that is Salvation:

I built my Lazav deck to be mill-less, because I think mill is a bad and highly punishable strategy. I tried to focus on getting creatures into the bin via counterspells and spot removal, but I'm not satisfied. Also, the deck is having some trouble killing people in a timely fashion - I want improved access to my opponents' creatures, particularly via reanimation.

So, it's time to add some mill. I want to avoid mill for mill's sake, and focus on cards that can commit a sizable threat to the board that do some milling on the side. Some examples of cards that fit this description:
Sewer Nemesis
Consuming Aberration
Extract From Darkness

What else in UB operates this way? I have been ignoring every mill card so aggressively that I don't even know what I'm looking for.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

During the downtime I bit the bullet and spent some time at MTGS looking for answers. My decision was Consuming Aberration/Extract From Darkness/Mindcrank. The latter is not a beatstick but it's a two-mana noncreature that's likely to roll over a bunch of cards at random here and there.

I cannot run Breaking // Entering in Lazav. I do not like Extractor Demon, as I don't have basically any repeatable bounce/kill.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I would probably object to playing against Unmake in a mono-white deck, but not to playing against a Loyal Cathar, if only because its power level is relatively low.

But you just wanted to brag about one-shotting people with Veteran's Armaments, didn't you? :kheldragar:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Please note that Darkest Hour makes all creatures black, and only black. None of them will be white. You will not be able to make Teysa sacrifice her own spirit tokens, though she will replace them indefinitely if something else kills them, which is also good.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Fabricate always feels like such a weak play from a tempo perspective - when you factor in the cost of playing your general, you're almost certainly tutoring for an equipment that everyone will have a full turn to prepare for before it hits the field.

Better to play Trinket Mage, and just accept that Skullclamp is good enough, or any of the numerous black tutors that get what you need without telling everyone what it is, or just draw eight billion cards via Rhystic Study etc until you find equipment. The latter strategy works well with Long-Term Plans, incidentally.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Make sure you include the best bear ever printed, Chameleon Colossus.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Just to be clear, the Oloro ban is for French Duel EDH, not Regular Sheldon EDH. Regular Sheldon EDH had no banlist update.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Because you can play Super Esper Fun Police until you start one-shotting people with your general.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I'm not sure how you built a Teysa Stax deck that doesn't include Smokestack. Then again, of all the misused deck names, Stax is the one that bugs me the hardest, possibly because people tell newbies it stands for "Stacking Tax" instead of "goddamn Smokestack".

I happened to be looking into decks to build under my foil Teysa, and came up with a light-Stax build of my own: Teysa

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Mainly I see little incremental upgrades like Fire Diamond -> Iron Myr and Tormod's Crypt -> Nihil Spellbomb.

As far as low-power dudes that do work, maybe Pontiff of Blight? Turn your army of weenies into a chorus of life-stealing.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Iron Myr is lousy in a vacuum, but in terms of stuff Grenzo can spring from prison...

As far as enchantments, the go-to answers are Disk, Oblivion Stone, All Is Dust, and Karn. You could also run, like, Sadistic Sacrament and Jester's Cap and just try to rip them out of people's decks ahead of time.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

OssiansFolly posted:

Bullshit decks that are all counters (see Talrand) or just sac over and over to make you unable to stick a creature (see GrimgrinOld Teysa) are the decks that suck. Atleast with Pillow Fort decks you get to play your deck...slowly...but you still get to play them.

Fixed. I got to play my Teysa, Orzhov Scion deck all weekend. Every game turned into a grisly hellscape of Martyr's Cause looping Nether Traitor and Bloodghast. I wonder how much a foil Nether Traitor costs...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

He means Strionic Resonator.

Isochron does count as casting, yes.

The most convincing EDH storm deck I've ever played against was a R/U build with Eye of the Storm. You get a cantrip under there, then Turnabout or similar, and finally a storm card, and then you go the gently caress off before anybody else gets to do things. Bonus points for sticking Teferi before dropping the Storm piece in to close out the game.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

As a commander, gently caress yes.

I'm a little sad to be cutting her from my Teysa deck, but it'll be a good spot for Utter End...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Herr Tog posted:

I don't get what you are trying to say.

He means they sell a $30 precon you can jam Void into.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Dead Nerve posted:

I'm returning to Magic after a long time and I bought the Power Hungry deck to play my brother and friends but I want to make it more unique. I'm thinking I'd like to keep Prossh as my commander but give it a very heavy Dragon theme. Who doesn't like dragons?

I have some older cards I can mess around with that I plan on mixing in and having fun with. But am looking for some suggestions on cards that would be major help in a Dragon deck with Prossh and any other staples in commander I should look for.

Check around for anything that says "Dragon" in the text box. Your main guys there are Dragonspeaker Shaman, Scourge of Valkas and Utvara Hellkite, but there are a huge number of options.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Dead Nerve posted:

You guys are the best. That's an awesome list of cards to give me a starting place. Anyone have any suggestions for lands in commander I need to invest in?

Bear in mind that Jund had a dragon theme, so there's a bunch of beastly poo poo like Karrthus you can play with. (Do not make Karrthus your general, because of what happens to you when he gets cloned. Do not let blue players anticipate Karrthus.)

Color fixing:
OG Duals (Expensive as poo poo, but will always increase in price)
Shocklands (These are especially cheap right now, get a playset if you can)
Fetchlands (The ally-colored ones are about to be reprinted, hold off buying those; the enemy-colored ones aren't announced as a reprint but seem possible/likely)
Shadowmoor/Eventide Filterlands (Not a lot of price growth is likely, but they're so fuckin' strong)
Zendikar Manlands (Again, bad as an investment, but good for play value)
Trilands/Command Tower (Nce and cheap, good utility)

Utility:
Strip Mine/Tectonic Edge (Pretty cheap, always useful)
Wasteland (Expensive, could get reprinted but probably won't)

Then you can start shopping around for effect lands - stuff like Kessig Wolf Run and Yavimaya Hollow are crazy-powerful effects to be able to stuff into your landbase, just don't go overboard and ruin yourself for color-fixing.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Tracula posted:

Has anyone cooked up a good Narset commander deck yet? I just keep feeling like she has insane potential but I can't quite piece together how to make her work exactly.

Chamale (currently "AATREK CURES KIDS") has a good list, but it's literally all time magic, extra combats, and haste, because that's what Narset is good at.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Gynovore posted:

... and six to eight blow-up-the-world cards like Obliterate, Sway of the Stars, and Upheaval.

Neither of those is legal.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Is that actually stronger than if-narset-attacks-game-ends.dek?

I mean, Zedruu is as good as you make her - mainly generating worthless tiny creature tokens and shoving them off on your enemies.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Olothreutes posted:

Speaking of rector, if she dies and I use her effect to find an aura and put it on the battlefield, do I put it on a creature?

Yes. If an aura enters the battlefield without having been cast with a target, you must attach it to something it can legally enchant, if such a thing exists, before state-based actions are checked. (If there's nothing to enchant, then it slides into the graveyard like a dead aura.) This has weird side-effects - it can bypass shroud, for instance, but not Protection.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Related to the question I answered above, I wanted someone to check my math on this:

If I get hit with Wrath of God, and my Academy Rector dies, and I use it to fetch Rancor which has nothing to enchant, is that going to trigger it bouncing back to my hand from my graveyard?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

BXCX posted:

My guess is no, courtesy of

So it would look for something to enchant and fail to see anything, landing in your yard without ever having technically entered the battlefield.

Oh right, the "remain in current zone" rule. So it'd never leave the library, and you'd just be down an Academy Rector.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

There's that one red spell that says "destroy target land and each land with the same name". gently caress all the forests, etc.

What you do to prey on ramp, other than the "gently caress all the land" strategy, is you load up on cheap, unconditional counters/removal and make them sweat every single bomb spell they cast. Combine that with aggressive GY hate to keep them from recurring the stuff you're countering/removing, and preferably some kind of low-costing dickpunch commander like Rafiq of the Many or Zurgo Helmsmasher. Basically, take advantage of the fact that they'll be busy in the early turns trying to ramp-race by getting the beats in and putting them on the back foot, then switch to having lots of cheap answers for whatever they're doing while you finish.

EDIT: Or you can try the "clone/steal/reanimate everything" strategy.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 14, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

That isn't a think I enjoy pointing out because some people really like to play Horrible Prison Slog EDH, but most of the above solutions sound worse than Durdle Planet.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Is that your blog? I don't have a tumblr or tappedout account logged in on this machine, so I'll just tell you here: If you're going to play fetches in mono-red with Crucible of Worlds, you should also run Madblind Mountain. Now you can shuffle your Scroll Rack/Sensei's Divining Top away as much as you need.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I don't usually get precons these days, but I want to play Daretti, and the deck he comes with is astonishingly close to what I'd have built it into anyway, so I'm pretty pumped to snag one tomorrow. I am, in general, excited about a greater proportion of the new cards than I was for either of the previous waves.

I rolled up a monored list for Daretti, focused mainly on welding stuff (and giving my Gauntlet of Might a home again):
https://deckbox.org/sets/825454

I also renovated my old monogreen list, having been struck by a craving to cast Panglacial Wurm from my library as much as possible:
https://deckbox.org/sets/821627

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I always feel obligated to remind people that Darkest Hour breaks Teysa's first ability, so you need another sac outlet to go infinite on. Seems like you have that in mind, though.

I positively loving hate wombo combos in EDH, any my Teysa list reflects that by grinding for horrible absurd value:

http://deckbox.org/sets/743707

... Actually, the list I have on deckbox is pretty ancient at this point. I'll have to re-catalog it tonight.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 7, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

My Daretti list has all three proliferate rocks (Throne of Geth, Contagion Clasp, Contagion Engine) mainly as a way to get Daretti's ultimate faster, but he also runs Inkmoth Nexus, and the last time I got somebody with a poison counter, I was able to follow up with Engine and Rings of Brighthearth...

I guess what I'm saying is that if your strategy/commander calls for lots of proliferate, why not run Inkmoth Nexus?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

bhsman posted:

Decided to rebuild Tajic but without some stuff I thought was too degenerate like Sol Ring and Avacyn. I still like having the Sunforger package, and the smattering of land/equipment tutor effects help get around the lack of pure card draw.

That actually looks way cooler than I was expecting.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Usually, the Tajic decks I encounter are of the Durdly Do-Nothing And Die type, or else they're obsessed with blowing up all the land. I'm enjoying being reminded that Taj-Nar Swordsmith exists, and you generally have fun, good cards and not three distinct Shatter variants for no reason.

EDIT: Oh, and the best card draw for a Boros Aggro deck is Skullclamp.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

bhsman posted:

Why does anyone take Toshimo posts seriously?

loving really.

I wish Wizards would update their loving website, I really don't enjoy having to explain to people that their cards are banned/my cards are not banned and that the Wizards website is just out-of-date/wrong. Really it's because I will take any excuse at all not to play against Sundering/Sylvan/Primeval, but it's still an annoying argument to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I don't know what I would build, but it would include Berserk and Rancor and try to just loving wax people.

I'm lying, I'm 90% sure I would build Jenara.