Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Framboise posted:

So what's the full dream list of non-RL cards that we'd actually want and will vastly not get

concordant crossroads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I need a green fatty to slot into mono G Omnath to replace my Ulamog the Infinite Gyre that's going to go in another deck, please suggest me things that are around ten or fifteen bucks

If nobody says one I like I'm just going to put sol ring in there, since it was too expensive when k built the deck and I've never gotten around to it

how bout something like Carnage Tyrant or Ghalta, Primal Hunger or a hydra like Broodmaster

are you also running It That Betrays?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i've been tinkering around with a korvold deck with a land sac subtheme and i'm leaning toward making it a more strongly "lands matter" build

aside from the obvious landfall effects, what advice do y'all have for land-based strategies - like, is going wide via land animation an effective thing to shoot for?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i was considering cutting the entire treasure-generating toolset entirely, or at least Revel In Riches and Ruthless Knave and Treasure Map, in favor of some of the better landfall stuff and things like Azusa. agreed on the unnecessary evasion equipment redundancy, gonna cut that now

am i wasting my time trying to split strategies by bothering with token creature generation at all? it feels like going all in for lands is a bad idea, and that cutting something is a good way to focus strategies, but i'm really inexperienced with lands-style commander strats

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Clowner posted:

Why should casual players give a gently caress about the ban list? If you want to play with the moxen or whatever just ask your playgroup

yeah, haven't they explicitly said before that the banlist is more of a guideline and not to feel restricted by it on your kitchen table or whatever if your playgroup doesn't want part or all of it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
even just combining the damage tracking from partnered commanders of the same player would be a nice quality of life improvement

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i think without commander damage at all that infinite life would become more of a thing

but short of getting rid of it entirely, tracking it individually feels like an unnecessary flavor choice

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Framboise posted:

I can imagine playing against a Godo Helm deck. "I ban your Helm of the Host." They then spend the rest of the game twiddling their thumbs.

blade of selves + mirror gallery? or does that miss godo's trigger

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i really want to get a playmat with mark tedin's new sol ring art

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I’m seriously debating going to the one in Charlotte, but spending $100 to drive to Charlotte for 2 days just to play EDH with strangers feels like perhaps bad value.

the promo sol ring you get is worth like $80

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes really old cards that exile creatures like tawnos coffin keep auras attached to the creature but I think the way they’d work they’d still get etb triggers when they come back.

licids lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
wotc has decided that at-home commander prerelease events will be a thing now thanks to pandemic concerns

quote:

Wizards of the Coast is recommending WPN stores pay close attention to the situation and follow the guidelines of local health authorities with regards to holding their events. For Ikoria Prereleases, stores may sell Prerelease Packs and Commander Decks for players to take home without participating in an in-store event and stores may also enroll players in at-home Prerelease events. Check with your local store for more information.

For as long as the situation warrants, we will also make accommodations to our metrics and allocation policies so no store's WPN status is impacted by COVID-19.

lol no cancellations yet though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Toshimo posted:

Korvold stuff that provides an effect, but has a sacrifice back end:

Commander's Sphere
Fires of Yavimaya
Gaea's Touch
Gate to the Afterlife
Cluestones
Hammer of Purphuros
Ramos Pieces
Mind Stone
Metlspinner's Puzzleknot
Omen of the Hunt
Orazca Relic
Scarecrone
Underhanded Designs
Treasure Map
Unstable Obelisk
Wolfwillow Haven
Erebos, Bleak-Hearted

i'm also running Lotus Field and Lotus Vale which feels p good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
don't sleep on Springbloom Druid either

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Gynovore posted:

I actually played Skeleton Ship way back in the day. It wasn't too horrible compared to the power level back then.

i had it in my tim deck along with Banshee

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
"we just want everyone to know that we were dragged kicking and screaming into banning Flash" lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

pseudanonymous posted:

My friend wanted a Nicol Bolas, the Ravager deck.

So I dunno: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-04-20-the-ravager/

So your basic wincon is to put Curiosity/Ophidian eye/Tandem lookout on either Glinthorn or Brallin, or Parun or the Firemind.

For Brallin and the Glinthorn you have to have more than 7 cards in your end step, for the Mizzets you just need to create a draw trigger at that point.

i'd put in some kinda twister effect like Commit / Memory or Day's Undoing or Echo of Eons as a safeguard in case you need to reach a damage total above your library size at any point when (or after) you go off

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

LeafHouse posted:

Have you guys checked out https://www.spelltable.com/ ? It is absolutely amazing for online EDH. Besides easy tracking of life and displaying commanders it also lets you click on a card on someones webcam and it'll bring up an image of the card, even if the webcam is blurry as hell. I was blown away when I first tried it.

edit: haha duh it's the same as VirtualEDH mentioned above me.

wow this is waaaaay better than google meet

they have a note about the audio being incomplete, have any of y'all had any problems with it?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

missed opportunity to have them sewn together like catdog

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bust Rodd posted:

The Roon thing is literally a non-issue. You have to willingly allow your Commander to go to exile instead of your Command Zone to get got in the first place. No one who actually understands how Commander is played is gonna fall for the Roon thing.

the point is that it made Roon (slightly) more dangerous

last week the tradeoff of Roon potentially bouncing your commander back to the command zone vs the risk that it could be permanently exiled if you didn't wasn't something anyone needed to consider. that's a notable change from what used to simply be a flicker effect

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

pseudanonymous posted:

It's actually the same. This is one of the weird Roon things. Either way, you made the choice when the commander goes to exile. If you chose to let the commander be exiled and then expected it to bounce back, and then someone stifled the trigger, the commander was permanently exiled, both before and after the dies change.

here's the 2013 ruling that used to apply

quote:

If Roon of the Hidden Realm’s ability targets a commander, that card’s owner may choose to have it go to the command zone rather than being exiled. The delayed triggered ability will return it to the battlefield no matter which of the two zones it went to, as long as it’s still in that zone when that triggered ability resolves.

now of course this is no longer the case

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the new precon that has the counter that's free if your commander is out has been completely sold out for awhile now thanks to that, and was going for like $70 where they still had stock

i'd say that's nuts, but that counter's now something like a $40 card, so it makes sense really

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bust Rodd posted:

So I’ve decided I need a break from brewing cutthroat, competitive decks and I decided I want a mono-U deck, something I never thought I’d build.

I have settled on God-Eternal Kefnet, going for big Blue. I really don’t want to lean into extra turns because that’s obvious and boring, I’d rather go for powerful splashy blue spells like Blatant Thievery and Aminatou’s Augury.

What are big and exciting blue instants and sorcereries besides time magic? Is there anything that really boosts Kefnet that isn’t obvious? I’m just gonna put in as much top card manipulation as I can find but I just want to big expensive spells for slightly less mana lol

aside from some big X spells like Mass Manipulation and Curse of Swine, how bout Expropriate? you could even lean in and go for some other voting with Plea For Power and Split Decision

and then there's always gently caress you cards like River's Rebuke and Clone Legion

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

logis posted:

Rules question:
I have a Snow land. I enchant it with "On Thin Ice" exiling a creature. I then donate the enchantment to another player (with Zedruu, etc). What happens?

zedruu decks frequently play stuff like O Ring explicitly because enchantments like that don't care who owns it

On Thin Ice has a restricted target condition (requiring that the target be under your control). it checks this as a state-based action, so there's no way for you to zedruu-donate it or the land it's on fast enough without it falling off

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
spelltable got bought out by wotc

it sounds like good news, i wonder if that was a payday for anyone

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Balon posted:

Yes, I am the titular Commander Mechanic.

the jumpsuit is a nice touch

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
we've been having 4th get an extra mulligan which works ok, i'd like to see that or maybe a scry yeah

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bust Rodd posted:

Meanwhile, a free Scry feels, uh, somewhat pointless?

well the trick is that it can't be a substantial benefit; both a free scry or extra mulligan smooth out out the early game without materially jumping you ahead like bonus mana or draws would do

another idea would be allowing the 4th seat to do a free partial paris mulligan after everyone is set, maybe just for 1 or something

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Magnetic North posted:

You should probably run Blasphemous Act or some sort of wrath. Maybe this deck can get away with Disaster Radius instead? If you really want it to be a creature, there's always Bloodfire Colossus, but I think you want at least some form of sweeper.

And Bust is right, add Triumph if you're going to do the infect thing. (How does Bloodfire Colossus interact with Grafted Exoskeleton? Asking for a friend.)

i like ashling as a red creature-shaped boardwipe

as for grafted exoskeleton on a bloodfire colossus, i don't think it works: you sac him as part of the cost of activating the ability, when the ability resolves, the damage source no longer has infect because it's sitting in the graveyard unequipped

quote:

120.3. Damage may have one or more of the following results, depending on whether the recipient of the damage is a player or permanent, the characteristics of the damage’s source, and the characteristics of the damage’s recipient (if it’s a permanent).

120.3e Damage dealt to a creature by a source with neither wither nor infect causes that much damage to be marked on that creature.

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 10, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
but things like infect and lifelink check when damage is dealt, don't they? i didn't think damage-dealing effects/abilities go onto the stack with that quality or anything; i'd think the last known information would be for things intrinsic to the source, like if something cared about it being red

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
seems to be, yeah. looks like it's clarified under its keyword section

quote:

702.89d If a permanent leaves the battlefield before an effect causes it to deal damage, its last known information is used to determine whether it had infect.

cool

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Railing Kill posted:

I have about 20 decks. A few are jank, a few are optimized casual, and most are tuned casual. All of them are budget decks, and about half of them have at least one proxy of a card running in another deck. I don't do proxies en masse, but I do a lot of wheeling and dealing to pay relatively little for this hobby. I'll invest in a couple releases per year, keep the commander playable stuff, and flip the money cards and/or stuff that's hot in other formats in order to at least break even in the purchase. Lately I've been getting modest purchases of singles to support my LGS buddy in southern Maine. But prior to COVID, I didn't usually buy singles.

I like brewing more than I like playing (not that I dislike playing). Putting on music and brewing/revising a deck after the kids go to bed is how I tend to relax at night. It's kind of meditative.

this is me p much, i've got around 12 decks mostly at tuned casual that i brew and revise at night after the kids go down. my playgroup generally spends more time brewing than playing because we're all parents and can manage to swing about 1 game night every couple weeks or so lol

i've got 3 or so incomplete decks at any given time in my "in-progress" box - right now two of them are a marchesa the black rose theft deck and a zedruu the greathearted deck, both of which i started before the quarantine and which would be impractical to play via webcam. been thinkin bout tearing apart my sliver cascade deck and using the 5 color landbase to build morophon god tribal next

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
here's brandon's cube spreadsheet

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Tenasscity posted:

Had seen that. Sadly, it doesn't answer the questions I have :(

ah yeah, looks like he just identifies which things can be commanders that aren't explicitly legendary creatures, and leaves out the rest of his regalia and whatnot

hmmm maybe it's something that's continuously in flux for him, and wants people to build upon it? it does read as the sort of thing that would produce generically goodstuff decks after all, i could see him outlining what he's provided as a vanilla version of what he's going for

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Magnetic North posted:

I've been daydreaming about a Tatyova, Benthic Druid deck for a while, so here are my two cents:

First off, you mentioned both Harrow and the new Roiling Regrowth first, but be sure to know the difference. If the latter gets countered you don't sac the land. On the other hand, if you are copying it, then you will only sac one land for the original Harrow.

Second, generally you should always run 2 mana ramp all all sorts before running 3 mana ramp, whether if be artifacts or lands. You really want to ramp turn 2, and density is important. Obviously things like Rampant Growth and Sakura Tribe Elder and Farseek are excellent choices. After, it gets a little weird, since things like Wayfarer's Bauble and Search For Tomorrow are fine since you'll have 4 mana by turn 3, but Khalani Heart Expedition obviously doesn't.

Once you're happy or out of options at 2 CMC, before you jump to 4, look at 3. Skip artifacts at this point for your synergy, and stick with spells that allow for landfall triggers. Kodama's Reach and Cultivate are arguably overplayed in EDH, but you can run them for the second landfall trigger, though you have to play fair. I found no other 3CMC spells that put you up 2 lands without additional cost or setup (Far Wanderings, Primal Growth, Grow From The Ashes, etc). After that, Harrow and Roiling Regrowth get you two triggers but only put you up one land, which is good in is own way.

Once you get to four, it's dealers choice, but that's kind of expensive. I'd usually suggest Migration Path because it cycles unless you want to grab cards with the Forest type, in which case use Skyshroud Claim. Of course, in your deck, you are less likely to cycle it since you hopefully have payoffs, but you won't always.

You can obviously adjust to your taste for more expensive ramp in the hopes of making up for some of it through synergy, but aim low first. Don't jump to 4 if you can get away with being at 2.

agreed, i'm not really a fan of much of anything at 4 cmc beyond Skyshroud Claim

also at 3 cmc consider Search For Tomorrow. you may also want to run Wood Elves and his buddy Farhaven Elf. and then there's harrow-on-a-stick Springbloom Druid

finally there's a couple utility lands you should look at: Thawing Glaciers and Terrain Generator, though they're not for everyone

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
oh come on

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i love capturing the plasm but yeah it's way too much to hold open when you've also got something you want to cast with the resultant mana

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

sit on my Facebook posted:

I like Hour in this deck because it says "tutor up Wasteland and Strip Mine", but it could probably be something better. Could be Expo Map, could be Sylvan Scrying, could be several other things. There's a lot of options for this strat

Crop Rotation is my go-to

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bust Rodd posted:

Kamahl, Fist of Krosa is awesome in this deck, it’s a win condition//mana dump but you can also dissuade your opponents from bird wiping by threatening to blow up all their lands. I would windmill slam Kamahl here.

yeppp the only wipe he doesn't dissuade against is Cyclonic Rift

i'm a big fan, i run him in Nikya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
two-handed rick is some bullshit