Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eptar
Jan 14, 2003
Oh no, not again.
I'll preface this by stating that I am one of the least handy people I know, and have near zero knowledge of pool maintenance. The house I'm renting right now has a fairly quicky pool in the backyard, with two waterfalls that flow into a basin above the pool (basin is roughly 15ft long x 10ftwide by 1ft deep), which then flow into the pool itself. it doesn't hold a ton of water, but it's enough that draining and filling the basin each time we want to use the pool would be a huge waste of water. The problem is that even with running the waterfalls most days to cycle the water, I am still getting a ton of algal growth in there. The homeowner does pay for a pool service guy, but when I talked to him about this last summer his remedy was to throw some small chlorine tablets loose into the basin, which did next to nothing.

So it seems like it will be on me to figure out how to fix this. I've done some reading on the matter and there seems to be some conflicting information on what the best combination of products to use is, so I'm hoping you guys can just give me a straight forward step by step solution, preferably one that isn't too expensive if possible.

Edit: figured it out, hopefully algae free some time next week.

Eptar fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
What was the fix?

Eptar
Jan 14, 2003
Oh no, not again.
1) scrub the algae and run the waterfalls + filter
2) make sure the pH is in range, then shock the basin
3) add an algaecide to the basin and let sit for 12-24 hours
4)scrub & filter again

After that, just maintain the basin by adding an algaecide to it any time it's going to be not receiving fresh water from the main pool for a while. I also bought a separate chlorine tablet dispenser for the basin area to assist the algaecide.

• Locked thread