Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Remember the days of VHS cameras when you would just go on a family trip, grab some video on a tape, take some photos with a camera and then you were done? Yeah, you had to develop those photos, but that wasn't that big of a hassle, and putting together a photo album was a bit of fun. Video was super easy. You'd just take the video and it was done. Just watch it as is on your buddy's vcr. No one bothered editing their family videos. If you had a family get together, you would just throw on the tape watch it once, ffw the boring bits and then probably never watch it again ... until a bout 20 years passed and you wanted to reminisce.

Now capturing video and photos is easier than ever, and pretty much everyone has a smart phone that can do Hi Def. But what the hell do you do with these videos and photos? I used to sit there editing my videos together nicely after each trip and upload some of my favorite photos to facebook albums. I'd print some out. Some videos would go up on youtube to be shared privately with family. It was neat, but putting it all together seemed to take way longer. First of all, I, like most people, don't have a computer that's built to edit loads of hi def video, so putting together a video would be very slow and tedious, with my computer frequently crashing as windows movie maker, or imovie (if I'm using my macbook) is pushed to its limits. I hated it so much that I just gave up. Now I just dump my videos onto a hard drive and no one sees them. Maybe in 10 years, when I have a much more powerful computer, I can make something of them more quickly and won't have to wait hours for my videos to encode. But for now, I'd rather just take the videos and forget about them.

But I still can't escape it, because I'm the goto computer guy in my family. Everyone gives me THEIR videos and asks me to edit them and get them off their phone. Some people don't even have a computer so my desktop has become their video/photo repository. "Make a DVD so that your grandfather can watch it" they always say, not realizing how many hours and processing power it takes to convert a series of short hi def videos into 1 two hour DVD. My parents recently got done with a cross country trip and asked me to "make a dvd slideshow" that combines the hi def video with all the photos they took so that they can show it as a presentation at our next family get together. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents and would do just about anything for them, but as my computer overheats while processing six hours of pictures and videos, I'm longing for the days of VHS. I can't help but wonder that there must be a better way. What do you guys do?

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread