Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

im convinced, i am gonna teach myself this common core poo poo since i am doing a math-heavy major and i feel like my elementary education hosed me over (i was always bad at math)

gently caress the human being reationaries who are just upset because they don't understand things

lol some 3rd grade bullshit aint gonna help you with calculus (im just as hosed as you are btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowman posted:

This poo poo is pretty easy and makes sense. It's the same way we've always done it, they're just expanding things to show the steps in a clearer manner.

best explanation i heard is that its just doing stuff like you would in your head, makes a lot more sense that way

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Copley Depot posted:

In and of itself, the common core algorithm is just a different form of rote memorization. how can we be sure that it will actually lead to enhanced understanding compared to other algorithms?

i wonder the same thing but all the mathy ppl say its way better so what the gently caress do we know

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

hey gary oldman pls stop being such a loving retard and stop arguing about poo poo you dont know anything about

"i dont have any info to back my stupid ideas but my old texbook was awesome so QED" loving lol

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CommonTerry posted:

the big complaints coming from the teachers i've seen is:

1. kids don't get it/it's not intuitive to them

2. the early testing being used to judge what kids' futures will be is terrifying to the children, the teachers, and parents

the tests are apparently horrible in literally every way possible but they legally can't tell you why

the only ppl complaining are the stupid parents actually

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Also kids care if it's slower on paper, the #1 thing I hated the most was showing my work for some poo poo that I did in my head. I just didn't do it and then my grade suffered even though I understood the concept.

I'm not really against CC because Gulzin convinced me but I will say that nobody seems to give a poo poo what kids think and then they go 'why do kids not care at all?'

ive heard kids like it again it seems only the parents are having trouble with it

CommonTerry posted:

you want all teachers to care about teaching in low grades. doing teaching for the money = you shouldn't be teaching

what a stupid thing to say

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

shut the gently caress up already you retard

post a single link that supports ur stupid bullshit or get out

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

gary oldmans diary posted:

he hasnt you dolt
his arguments on the specific examples are backed by "these groups support common core"

yeah except for all the links he psoted about educators and math people saying this poo poo is good

as opposed to you who doesnt know gently caress about the subject except ur own personal experience which is completely meaningless

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Children need to understand the concept so they can perform it rapidly later. They can learn these concepts rapidly at a young age. I don't think you are an educator, or this wouldn't be a question for you.

There is no reason for this thread to be this long with dozens of people arguing with just you.

Final word:

Common Core will happen, it is a superior way to perform math, which I know from personal experience, and our youth need it. If you are against it, its because you are an ignorant curmudgeon who has literally no experience in educating youth or developing educational tools.

Next time, argue a topic you are actually familiar with. People might believe you.

gently caress you gay oldman

gently caress you for making me agree with rhonyn

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

why the gently caress can't you just give a lecture explaining the theory behind stuff and derive the algorithm for the class then have them memorize it?

this is how literally every math class i have ever taken works

apparently you need to make kids write a paragraph every time they multiply two numbers and leave them unable to loving add and subtract without a calculator, though, for some reason

because children are loving retarded

srsly any of you talking about explaining this poo poo to children ever interacted with 3rd graders?

second grade they are barely smart enough to understand crap like "underline the correct answer" for fucks fsake

im sure your college level classes are totally comparable to grade school tho

babypolis fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 26, 2014

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

OK so how will making them write a paragraph every time they multiply two numbers and leaving them unable to add and subtract without a calculator make this better?

you'd think this would be a key point, but it's mysteriously never elaborated on.

i don't believe kids will learn the properties of the base 10 number system by osmosis or whatever you think is going to happen when you make them memorize your much more tedious, much less useful algorithm instead of the general purpose algorithm. if the kids are too stupid to learn from a class lecture why do you think they'll just sort of figure it out if forced to write down huge strings of numbers every time they calculate a tip?

i dunno, pedadogy and teaching is really hard and thats why i stopped. im not an educator and dont know how to solve these problems so i leave it to smarter ppl who know what they are doing

everyone here criticizing cc is doing so from their own personal experience of old math working for them instead of making any real arguments

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

thelightguy posted:

So it is "superior" by the metric that more people may be able to follow it, with the caveat that it is slower and more tedious to do in your head, and less efficient on paper.

efficiency and speed are meaningless nowadays, and its actually less tedious to do in your head

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this is how i learned logarithms in hs:

"ok guys just take out your calculators, input the number and then press log. now moving on.."

needless to say calculus sucked

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

WarLocke posted:

There is a scene in an episode of Continuum where someone gets in trouble for having printed books. Because they're 'seditious printed material'. That scene (and the whole show, actually) makes me really uncomfortable because it depicts a future that I find plausible.

Or maybe I am just a dumb.

have you read fahrenheit 411

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

WarLocke posted:

no I was too busy reading A Wrinkle in Time and Harry Potter

read its good and its about a future where books are illegal

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

DeepQantas posted:

If you don't want to watch the whole 2 hour video (you should, tho) just check the part at 1:10:14:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-kx5-MKSE&t=4214s

why would you link to the dumbest part? oh boo hoo stupid parents cant spend 5 mins to understand this

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Man a thread where I lean towards Rhonyn posts. Ya'll really done it

at least someone else shares my shameet it" when that is the dumbest criticism possible

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

edit :gently caress double post

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

a cop posted:

I skipped over most of the thread but its funny that someone linked a two hour libertarian rant from a crazy person and said "you should watch the whole thing"

loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i kinda get why math and chemistry get so much hate. they are both tough classes a lot of unrelated major had to take and both generally feel arcane to most ppl

• Locked thread