Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Some of that seems waaay too dumbed down.

Is there a particular reason they're saying 'number sentences' and poo poo or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Akumu posted:

Describing things with varied words (and techniques) is meant to prevent the ossification of thinking, so that the kids hopefully remain in contact with the concepts rather than just viewing everything as a rigid and disconnected system of algorithms and jargon.

That sounds reasonable. Do you know off-hand if there're research findings as to its effectiveness?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Widestancer posted:

Your post had too many syllables and most of those words the kids will never have to use when they flip burgers and open hotdog stands in Reform, AL

Please apologize you might gently caress up our kids :qq:

Ironically, working as a grill cook, when I was in the weeds, I'd literally math out optimum sequencings.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Gulzin posted:

Wrong..
I didn't say how, I said why. What algebraic property are you using?

Who actually remembers the properties names, though? I just picture stuff as piles of relationships.

Like I'd write A*D with an arrow connecting A to D and turn it into (A*B)*D, turn that into (A*B)*(C*D) and with each split I'd split the arrows. Then I'd have four arrows between the following variable pairings: first, outer, inner and last.

I typed all that out because that's how I'd like to see it taught. All I ever got was a depressed person telling us the FOIL method and if you didn't know how to straighten out one of the jumbled up homework problems enough to actually apply the FOIL method, you'd just have it repeated to you by said depressed person as though it were the thing itself to be understood.

I was math retarded until I started visualizing it all, yet 'visualizing' runs contrary to how math was taught from algebra on.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm undecided, teaching people to use mental shortcuts and to understand underlying concepts is well and good but "math sentences" is a loving abomination

i'd be curious to see what the equivalent reform for gradeschool / highschool english is though

Linear arrangements of words

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

DSauer posted:

I really like geometry but the way you're taught it is loving retarded. Here's a bunch of formulas to remember but we're not going to tell you why they work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YokKp3pwVFc&t=15s

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

you would imagine that thinking comes fairly naturally but i guess not :confused:

I took Intro to Logic and it was literally poo poo like 'circle the supporting arguments' and 'circle the conclusion' toward the beginning and people were loving that up

Rational thought is a developed skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

gary oldmans diary posted:

you are kidding with all of this right

Do enough math and in the same way you unthinkingly know that 'can not' is the same thing as 'can't,' you will also know that '6' is the same thing as '4+2.' If you saw 4 + 2, it'd resolve automatically. You'd just know it reflexively. No thought required, no attention spent. It resolves automatically. Chunk up larger problems into auto-resolving chunks. The math does itself.

• Locked thread