Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I started to read this online a while ago, but stopped because gently caress reading things off a website on a PC monitor. However I just got this for my birthday, so I'm going to jump in and finish it off.

One thing I remember is looking up Las Casas, the preacher mentioned in the opening chapter and finding him quite interesting. When he arrived in the USA he was shocked at the treatment of the natives. Although it took him a while to develop a complete understanding of the tragedy of slavery, at one point he advocated using black slaves instead of Native Americans before later rejecting all slavery as immoral, he seems to have been a pretty cool dude.

I've found one of his books online at Gutenberg, which has the catchy title of A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies Or, a faithful NARRATIVE OF THE Horrid and Unexampled Massacres, Butcheries, and all manner of Cruelties, that Hell and Malice could invent, committed by the Popish Spanish Party on the inhabitants of West-India, TOGETHER With the Devastations of several Kingdoms in America by Fire and Sword, for the space of Forty and Two Years, from the time of its first Discovery by them.

The short excerpt I found of History of the Indies (here: https://www2.stetson.edu/secure/history/hy10430/lascasashistory.html) was even more horrifying than the quotes Zinn uses in the first chapter in People's History.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

inktvis posted:

That's a little misleading. De las Casas wasn't operating in the area of what would later be the US; more Central America and the Caribbean.

Also, the title you quote there is from a Protestant reprint of his work for propaganda purposes, hence the broad attempt to implicate the Pope (a strange thing for a Bishop to be doing). It'd be the equivalent of telling Charles V and the Pope to go gently caress themselves, then sailing back to Spain to see their faces.

It makes it clear in The People's History that he wasn't involved with the mainland USA, with the first chapter talking more widely about the initial colonisation and subjugation of indigenous people across the Americas in general. Really you have to, it's a key element of the history of the USA and you can't write a history, even an ideological one, without mentioning it or other pre-USA information like it's history as a British colony.

I think the main goal behind this focus is to target the legend of Columbus, a figure who still is respected by many people of the USA but was far more so 35 years ago when criticism of him was far less mainstream.

As for the title, that's disappointing and means his balls are merely large rather than the giant size I thought they were.

• Locked thread