Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/30/roland-emmerich-directing-new-stargate-movie

"We want a brand new Stargate"- No one, anywhere.

What the hell is it with every Sci Fi franchise with the word "Star" in it being rebooted/ having its canon erased? The nerd rage is funny, don't get me wrong, but it in this case seems pretty doomed to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

stargate was a good show but the sequels were bad imo

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Yeah they ran this one into the ground. The best part of Stargate were the really really cheesy first seasons of the show starring MacGuyver and stoic buff alien

I love that poo poo. Sci fi tries to be too serious and gloomy to appeal to all the nerds that think their nerd poo poo has to be art

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Dark Star is the best sci fi flick ever to not get remade or hosed around into a tv series or any poo poo like that.

o poo poo i hope i didn't jinx it

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I liked the movie with james spader alright, didn't really watch the show. I am indifferent to this news.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Medium Cool posted:

didn't really watch the show

Some of the characters are interesting, and a few of the plot arcs are relatively entertaining. On the whole, I'd give the series and the spinoffs a 7 or maybe 7.5 on a scale of Lost in Space to Star Trek DS9.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I remember the first episode of the series as featuring armour that wasn't loving useless and full frontal nudity. It declined from there.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Crappy Jean Claud vandam movie

Crappy show

Gas OP, ban thread

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

dee eight posted:

Some of the characters are interesting, and a few of the plot arcs are relatively entertaining. On the whole, I'd give the series and the spinoffs a 7 or maybe 7.5 on a scale of Lost in Space to Star Trek DS9.

I like your television sci-fi scale, seems pretty accurate. I'll probably watch the show beginning to end one day, I've just never sought it out.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Neurosis posted:

I remember the first episode of the series as featuring armour that wasn't loving useless and full frontal nudity. It declined from there.

I like how space-fullplate elite warriors get mowed down by P90 rounds from like season 2 or 3 unto forever

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Stargate Universe was bad

REALLY bad

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Meanwhile in a forest located in Canada.....

This was pretty much every Stargate Episode.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
that groundhog day episode with O'Neil and Teal'c was one of the best episodes of TV ever

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Medium Cool posted:

I like your television sci-fi scale, seems pretty accurate. I'll probably watch the show beginning to end one day, I've just never sought it out.

Beh, I don't think the scale is great. Babylon 5 had a better overall arc with some characters who were very good, and Farscape was much better as a character driven show and was also pretty funny. DS9 is pretty good, too, but in a different way.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

dee eight posted:

Dark Star is the best sci fi flick ever to not get remade or hosed around into a tv series or any poo poo like that.

o poo poo i hope i didn't jinx it

Yea

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Moola posted:

that groundhog day episode with O'Neil and Teal'c was one of the best episodes of TV ever

It was. I wish I had the gif from that episode still.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Moola posted:

it really was, show as a whole was p fun but really dragged on after a while

then they made stargate atlantis which was p fun and wasn't dragging too much and was ended

then they made stargate universe which was really bad and dragged on from the first episode and somehow got a second season

i have opinions about tv shows

e: and i'll watch at least one or two episodes of this thing if they make it because i'm a dumbass

naem
May 29, 2011

Thing

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
SG1 was a really good show that only ran for 8 seasons

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I liked Stargate and Atlantis had its moments I guess

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
SGU was literally, 'lets just ape EVERYTHING about BSG'

but they forgot to include any interesting characters

or a plot

endless scenes of people calmly walking along corridors

"oh no, our water supply is low! Oh wait we found some more..."

"the ship might crash in six hours! No wait we fixed it..."

AND SHAKY CAM!!!!!

angerbot posted:

I liked Stargate and Atlantis had its moments I guess

I really liked Atlantis because Shepard was a cool dude, McKay was kinda funny and Jason Momoa is loving hot as gently caress

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Moola posted:

I really liked Atlantis because Shepard was a cool dude, McKay was kinda funny and Jason Momoa is loving hot as gently caress

this was literally its entire thing, "have a couple characters that are fun to watch"

it worked well enough

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Moola posted:

agreed

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Titty Warlord posted:

SG1 was a really good show that only ran for 8 seasons

It is pretty rare a show should run for more than that. Either the writers have an idea in their head describing an arc or it is completely episodic and probably terrible. Season 1-8 of the Simpsons are all I can think of contradicting that, and season 1 was kind of bad.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I like how space-fullplate elite warriors get mowed down by P90 rounds from like season 2 or 3 unto forever

there are 5.7 x 28mm rounds which will penetrate armor :goonsay:

naem
May 29, 2011

I could never tell who was what, some of the people wore army uniforms, some of them didn't, the hippie glasses guy was just kind of there because he was in the movie

It was pleasant and chill laundromat viewing in college

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Unhinged Vulcan posted:

there are 5.7 x 28mm rounds which will penetrate armor :goonsay:

This is space armour, though, and it makes one of the primary enemies completely anaemic, especially considering their space guns are shittier than modern day firearms.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

naem posted:

It was pleasant and chill laundromat viewing in college

This is a pretty good point. Looking for too much depth in otherwise pleasant and chill entertainment leads to madness.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I've always wanted to meet Richard Dean Anderson. Wonder if he'll make a cameo in the new stuff.

naem
May 29, 2011

It was nice you could watch any episode of any of the star gates randomly once a week, in syndication or whatever, in any order, and not feel you'd missed anything plot wise.

You'd get-

-army guy
-glasses hippy
- there was a blonde lady?
-there's a black guy with things glued to his forehead and eye makeup
-a couple laser special effect, things I bet
-the star gate itself, a mysterious intergalactic doorway that lead to a beautiful canadian pine forest an awful lot of the time
-someone would yell "look out!" and jump out of the way of something once an episode. It didn't really matter what.

No one spoke too quickly or used big words and the actors couldn't keep a straight face so it felt like they were your friends and were right there with you, in the laundromat

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

naem posted:

It was nice you could watch any episode of any of the star gates randomly once a week, in syndication or whatever, in any order, and not feel you'd missed anything plot wise.

You'd get-

-army guy
-glasses hippy
- there was a blonde lady?
-there's a black guy with things glued to his forehead and eye makeup
-a couple laser special effect, things I bet
-the star gate itself, a mysterious intergalactic doorway that lead to a beautiful canadian pine forest an awful lot of the time
-someone would yell "look out!" and jump out of the way of something once an episode. It didn't really matter what.

No one spoke too quickly or used big words and the actors couldn't keep a straight face so it felt like they were your friends and were right there with you, in the laundromat

This encapsulates why the show was bad so amazingly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neurosis posted:

This is space armour, though, and it makes one of the primary enemies completely anaemic, especially considering their space guns are shittier than modern day firearms.

They actually have a bit where the US Air Force people are demonstrating their poo poo to some allies and going "Yeah this space armour and space gun is designed for intimidation and to be showy over primitive natives" *boom* "see looks good, doesn't do much. This is a P-90" *tears target to shreds*

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
Richard Dean Anderson got too fat to go in the stargate and james spader is creepy now. I don't like this.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

MikeJF posted:

They actually have a bit where the US Air Force people are demonstrating their poo poo to some allies and going "Yeah this space armour and space gun is designed for intimidation and to be showy over primitive natives" *boom* "see looks good, doesn't do much. This is a P-90" *tears target to shreds*

The weird thing was that Teal'c could use his space gun effectively even though none of the enemies using the same drat space gun were poo poo.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Richard Dean Anderson got too fat to go in the stargate and james spader is creepy now. I don't like this.

too fat to fit in the stargate? :ohdear:

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

PlantRobot posted:

too fat to fit in the stargate? :ohdear:

Afraid so. They had to go back and reprint all the "MacGuyver" DVD cases and change it to "McGriddle" so people wouldn't die of fright when they googled him.

naem
May 29, 2011

Stargate: laundromat

All the actors who haven't done anything since the last show go do their laundry together using an alien portal found deep in a canadian pine forest

The army uniform guy stands up really straight and argues with the glasses hippie about something once an episode and the blonde lady with dated hair smiles a lot

It's a really fancy laundromat with laser doors and once an episode someone yells "lookout!" and they all jump behind a bunch of laundry baskets (shakey cam)

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

naem
May 29, 2011

How do you let that happen, especially with tv money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

col. fat oneil

almost looks like a subway ad

• Locked thread