Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I just ordered some scotch bonnet seeds and black habanero seed off of superhotchiles. Stoked for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Nice.

This year I'm going with:

Carolina Reaper
Yellow Reaper
MOA Scotch Bonnet*
Antillais Caribbean Habanero*
Roatan Pumpkin Habanero
Early Jalapeno
NuMex 6-4*
Grenada Seasoning*

*I like to grow something different every year but these were so good last season I had to bring them back.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I've got my hands on some real African Bird's Eye chillis, and I want to try and replicate Nando's peri-peri sauce. I'm basing my recipe on the ingredients list on their bottled sauces, keeping the my list simple for now.

Water
Red wine vinegar
Olive oil
Red onion
Garlic
Salt
Brown sugar
Pureed lemon
Paprika
African Bird's Eye chillis

I'm just wondering about ratios here, especially amount of water, oil and vinegar. Any pointers from the sauce experts on getting a good base?

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

KinkyJohn posted:

I've got my hands on some real African Bird's Eye chillis, and I want to try and replicate Nando's peri-peri sauce. I'm basing my recipe on the ingredients list on their bottled sauces, keeping the my list simple for now.

Water
Red wine vinegar
Olive oil
Red onion
Garlic
Salt
Brown sugar
Pureed lemon
Paprika
African Bird's Eye chillis

I'm just wondering about ratios here, especially amount of water, oil and vinegar. Any pointers from the sauce experts on getting a good base?

Lacto-ferment your Chilis and skip the vinegar.
Skip the oil, because why?
The rest is basically to taste.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

This stuff is incredible. A blend of fruits mixed with ground coffee, cinnamon, and clove (and habanero for the spice). Been really enjoying Karma Sauces lately - they're great at using these curveball ingredients.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Where can I get some?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

iospace posted:

Where can I get some?

https://karmasauce.com/

Looks like they have limited distribution in most major markets - you'll have to check their site to see if anything is near you.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

iospace posted:

Where can I get some?

They’re also at https://heathotsauce.com/search?type=product&q=karma* if you wanted to buy sauces from other places too. Karma sauces are good, try lots of them. They’re very worth it and absolutely manage to pack in heat and flavor.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
loving lol

Dude is so shameless he's willing to put his name on a food he can't handle eating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HYEC_FlgAg

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t get why he’s famous. Is he a really good producer or something? All I know is there’s two things for sure I’m better at then he is.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Nothing ready to eat yet but I've got some real beauty boys on the vine. Incl. bottle cap for scale.

Oxkutzcabian Roatan Pumpkin Habanero

Antillais Caribbean Habanero

Beth Boyd (I think?) Scotch Bonnet

Reaper

Also I got some Shaquanda's Hot Pepper Sauce at TJ Maxx after seeing it mentioned on Serious Eats. Definitely on the milder side similar to Frank's Xtra Hot I'd say, but has a really nice flavor. I don't know if it's worth the $10 they're asking for it online but if you see it for a reasonable price I'd pick it up.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 30, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Any europeans here or american emigrants perhaps who know where to get Huy Fong products in the EU? Disappeared of all the shelves a few years ago. Read it's been banned in the EU since 2020.

I found this site which has the sriracha and they ship to finland, but I would also haved liked to have tried the garlic paste:
https://www.myamericanmarket.com/us/

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

His Divine Shadow posted:

Any europeans here or american emigrants perhaps who know where to get Huy Fong products in the EU? Disappeared of all the shelves a few years ago. Read it's been banned in the EU since 2020.

I found this site which has the sriracha and they ship to finland, but I would also haved liked to have tried the garlic paste:
https://www.myamericanmarket.com/us/

The company is basically offline right now due to a chili shortage. You can't even find their products in the US. I would wait a few months before looking.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i have a bottle of rooster juice that i have been rationing for months. it's a good opportunity to try other brands though. got a couple bottles of three mountain, p good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've tried other brands but don't like them, either it's just almost as nice but not quite, or it's terrible. Several years ago I bought a bottle of sriracha and thought it was the same stuff, then I wondered why sriracha had started tasting so foul, couldn't finish the bottle. It was a flying goose, not a rooster on the bottle.

The american place I linked claimed to have in stock so I should probably buy right loving now even though shipping is like 17€

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Huy Fong Sriracha has basically hit the Heinz Ketchup point. Even though sriracha is not a proprietary type of sauce, Huy Fong is just what we expect sriracha to taste like.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Maybe, it's the first sriracha I tasted and learned to like.

However I did not taste Heinz until I was like 18-20 maybe, it came to Finland late. Still it quickly became my favorite ketchup brands, buy it 90% of the time.

But Heinz is not the best for all situations either. I really like the really cheap store band ketchups and such for stuff like fries.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'm finding myself not really missing sriracha that much. I'm just not putting any hot sauce in the stuff I'd usually put sriracha in (noodles/rice) and been enjoying stuff that way. Then I still got hot sauces for other stuff and it's fine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's an on off thing for me. Can go months without using it, then suddenly I put it on everything. Like last week, made pizza rolls and found it worked really well on those.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's an on off thing for me. Can go months without using it, then suddenly I put it on everything.

Not an emptyquote.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I vastly prefer Huy Fong sriracha on Asian food and hummus. Any other sriracha has been bad or nearly inedible. Mexican hot sauces for Mexican food. I even bought Firelli Italian hot sauce for like pasta with marinara but it's kind of lame to be honest and Tabasco tends to be better.

I put hot sauce on just about everything, I don't know what that says about me.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
A friend convinced me to buy a strawberry hot sauce from some podunk town in England. It also has garlic and spices in it and comes in a glass monkey skull. It is awful.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

thotsky posted:

A friend convinced me to buy a strawberry hot sauce from some podunk town in England. It also has garlic and spices in it and comes in a glass monkey skull. It is awful.

garlic and strawberries, two great tastes that go great together! lmao

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

thotsky posted:

Should follow the same rule as gimmick liquor bottles: It's gonna suck.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I got as far as "England" and then lol'd

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Got the Tabasco Sriracha because why the hell not. It's not as good nope. But perfectly edible, doesn't really taste sriracha, too much of a vinegary thing going on.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

thotsky posted:

Do people have good suggestions for smoked chili sauces or chili sauces made with smoked peppers? I love chipotle sauces, but it's hard to find ones that are not too sweet or taste like a cuminy blended taco. I love the Chipotle Tabasco, something like that with more heat would be great.

https://freakshowfoods.bigcartel.com/

I like this one a lot but it’s fruity rather than chipotle.

I tried Marie Sharps smoked habanero and it was really disappointing. Tasted like they added liquid smoke. The only Marie Sharps I’ve disliked.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Kaddish posted:

https://freakshowfoods.bigcartel.com/

I like this one a lot but it’s fruity rather than chipotle.

I tried Marie Sharps smoked habanero and it was really disappointing. Tasted like they added liquid smoke. The only Marie Sharps I’ve disliked.

Yeah, I also tried that Marie sharp one and it was disgusting. Will check our your recommendation.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i couldn't finish the bottle, right in the garbage can. i hate wasting food but it had to go. i thought maybe something was wrong with it but i guess that's just how it is.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The only reason I’ve saved my bottle is to maaaaaybe try just a few drops in a whole batch of chili or something like that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What up, hot sauce goons.

So for complicated reasons, I decided to grow a bunch of peppers this year for hot sauce and I have profoundly, fantastically hosed up in the sense that I have gardened too greedy and too deep, releasing a monster.

I've got... 20 something pepper plants split between a dozen different varieties and they've all absolutely flourished. Cayennes, hot paper lanterns, jalapenos, santakas, corbaci, these gorgeous little black Thai chilis and a bunch that I can't even reconstruct what they are. The things are beautiful but they're like the ivy from Sleeping Beauty! I've grown peppers before, but it's never been quite like this.

Every two weeks I've been doing another harvest, turning those into a sauce (just a 2 week ferment, nothing fancy), then I puree and finish the last batch and I'm just about plum out of ideas for new flavor profiles to mess with these anymore. I've got 11 distinct recipes as of today and I really only have one more idea.

So what I'm asking for is help coming up with new ideas for what to put in these drat jars. I'm good on straight forward Louisiana-style stuff, I've got plenty, and I'm already deep into experimental country. So far, sitting in jars at one stage of fermentation or another I've got :

A basil-rosemary one
A garlic-miso one (this came out really good)
A toasted Sichuan peppercorn-5 spice blend one for numbing-heat
A coconut-pineapple
A molasses oregano cumin thing (it was at the end and I was losing my mind)
Planned for 2 weeks : black Thai chili, lime and blueberry

Plus 6 other "plain" sauces that are the more usual combination of some kind of pepper(s) and vinegar with a little sugar and salt.

So, any ideas? I'm pretty dang open to suggestions. Even if it's not what I'm into personally, I've got a bunch of small empty bottles from a prior thing* so a bunch of these are going to be used as stocking stuffers.

*Did you know there's a hot sauce advent calendar? Cause there is.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Are the small bottles glass?

It was a bit of a pain in the butt, but I took a bunch of dried peppers (mostly superhots), made an everclear tincture, and put it in a bunch of little 1oz glass tincture bottles. I've been evaporating off the solvent and then topping them back up with whatever catches my fancy that mixes with pepper oil. Balsamic vinegar worked great, bourbon worked great (don't bother with anything expensive, just grab the evan williams), and rumpleminze turned out interesting enough to not be a mistake.

Next time I'm going to throw some garlic in, too. I'm hoping whatever it is in garlic that works as an emulsifier is taken up by the ethanol.

e: as far as other flavor profiles, I really liked the collards & ghost sauce that's in the current Hot Ones rotation. I picked up a bottle of a seafood-oriented hot sauce at a local farmer's market that's based on lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, and thai chilies that's pretty good and unlike most other stuff.

You could also do a hot mustard or a hot honey.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 19, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Sadly I can’t have alcohol anymore. Medical poo poo. :-/

I’d definitely try that otherwise though. And the seafood one sounds dope as hell, that’s going right on the mental whiteboard and I’ll look into the Hot Ones one. I drift in and out with them cause it’s so dependent on the guest.

Thanks!

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

So, any ideas? I'm pretty dang open to suggestions. Even if it's not what I'm into personally, I've got a bunch of small empty bottles from a prior thing* so a bunch of these are going to be used as stocking stuffers.

Cinnamon and cloves with an apple puree

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Xiahou Dun posted:

What up, hot sauce goons.

So for complicated reasons, I decided to grow a bunch of peppers this year for hot sauce and I have profoundly, fantastically hosed up in the sense that I have gardened too greedy and too deep, releasing a monster.

I've got... 20 something pepper plants split between a dozen different varieties and they've all absolutely flourished. Cayennes, hot paper lanterns, jalapenos, santakas, corbaci, these gorgeous little black Thai chilis and a bunch that I can't even reconstruct what they are. The things are beautiful but they're like the ivy from Sleeping Beauty! I've grown peppers before, but it's never been quite like this.

Every two weeks I've been doing another harvest, turning those into a sauce (just a 2 week ferment, nothing fancy), then I puree and finish the last batch and I'm just about plum out of ideas for new flavor profiles to mess with these anymore. I've got 11 distinct recipes as of today and I really only have one more idea.

So what I'm asking for is help coming up with new ideas for what to put in these drat jars. I'm good on straight forward Louisiana-style stuff, I've got plenty, and I'm already deep into experimental country. So far, sitting in jars at one stage of fermentation or another I've got :

A basil-rosemary one
A garlic-miso one (this came out really good)
A toasted Sichuan peppercorn-5 spice blend one for numbing-heat
A coconut-pineapple
A molasses oregano cumin thing (it was at the end and I was losing my mind)
Planned for 2 weeks : black Thai chili, lime and blueberry

Plus 6 other "plain" sauces that are the more usual combination of some kind of pepper(s) and vinegar with a little sugar and salt.

I have no idea but share what works! I'm particularly curious about a sauce fermented with blueberries.

I only had four plants in the ground this year: yellow ghosts, aji amarillos, yellow seven pots and yellow manzanos. Manzano plant was a stunted failure, but the others have done well. I did a Louisiana-style sauce that turned out OK. And a chunky garlic sauce that my wife likes.

Currently have a bag fermenting now that I think will be another straight-forward sauce. And then thinking of doing a lemon piri piri kind of sauce with anything that grows now. Goes well with all the yellow peppers I've got.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
My fermenting recipes are matched with my varieties typically. So with the lemon drop and fatalii I’m going a citrus route this year. The Reapers and Scorpions will probably get balanced with carrots and garlic and stay pretty simple. I may make an India inspired with the Bhut Jolokia I have this year too. Just make sure to sift the ground spices if you do it yourself or it gets gritty.

The santakas would probably pickle really well, and you have a bunch of types that can dehydrate well too. For crushed and powders too.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Chad Sexington posted:

I have no idea but share what works! I'm particularly curious about a sauce fermented with blueberries.

yellow manzanos. Manzano plant was a stunted failure, but the others have done well.

i'd love to grow one of those but i think i'd have to do it in a climate controlled greenhouse. i tried once and had a similar result. the heat rn is so bad it stresses most of my plants but those weirdos simply cannot deal with it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

i'd love to grow one of those but i think i'd have to do it in a climate controlled greenhouse. i tried once and had a similar result. the heat rn is so bad it stresses most of my plants but those weirdos simply cannot deal with it.

I just looked those up and kind of want to try growing them. I should be able to protect from frost and have a good spot where it would get morning sun and partial shade in the afternoon even.

I'd be happy to drown in those for science.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jhet posted:

My fermenting recipes are matched with my varieties typically. So with the lemon drop and fatalii I’m going a citrus route this year. The Reapers and Scorpions will probably get balanced with carrots and garlic and stay pretty simple. I may make an India inspired with the Bhut Jolokia I have this year too. Just make sure to sift the ground spices if you do it yourself or it gets gritty.

The santakas would probably pickle really well, and you have a bunch of types that can dehydrate well too. For crushed and powders too.

I'm definitely saving some for various non-sauce projects. Like, if nothing else, there's this enormous corbaci that I want to dehydrate and save just cause it's gorgeous (also the size of a small machete). And I'm gonna try various pickling/drying methods just for science.

The santakas are mostly just eating, yeah, like you guessed. My current idea is to use them like a zippier version of a shishito, so I'm thinking very lightly bread them in panko and give them just a little fry for crunchy little pepper appetizers.

d0grent posted:

Cinnamon and cloves with an apple puree

That's a loving great idea. Thanks!

Got me spinning a cute little halloween treat based around that now. Should be nice and seasonally appropriate by the time it's done fermenting.

Chad Sexington posted:

I only had four plants in the ground this year: yellow ghosts, aji amarillos, yellow seven pots and yellow manzanos. Manzano plant was a stunted failure, but the others have done well. I did a Louisiana-style sauce that turned out OK. And a chunky garlic sauce that my wife likes.

Currently have a bag fermenting now that I think will be another straight-forward sauce. And then thinking of doing a lemon piri piri kind of sauce with anything that grows now. Goes well with all the yellow peppers I've got.

I'm a little leery of the blueberry ones, it could go horrifically bad for all I know, but I'm drowning in the little black Thai chilis and I come from a region famous for blueberries so I feel like I gotta, right? And if I get the hot-sweet-tart taste I'm imagining it could be really good, if a bit limited.

Wait, you ferment in a bag? Can I get details? Not judging, I'm making this up as I go along, so I'm using a giant mess of mason jars for the ferment because they have resealable lids and I had 30 of them down in the cellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait, you ferment in a bag? Can I get details? Not judging, I'm making this up as I go along, so I'm using a giant mess of mason jars for the ferment because they have resealable lids and I had 30 of them down in the cellar.

You just put everything into a vacuum bag, add the normal amount of salt by weight, and seal it up. Don't add water, there's no brine needed. Removing the air it'll get replaced with CO2 as it ferments and probably blow up like a balloon, but it shouldn't leak if you have a good seal. You can add water or vinegar to your puree in the blender, but the lacto fermenting it will produce enough acidity by itself.

I also push the stuff through a sieve and dry the large particulates to turn into painful powder.