Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I accidentally bought some Laoganma brand hot sauce that isn't the ma la spicy chili crisp we all know and love, just a thick chili paste. I suppose I could add some Sichuan pepper powder to it. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Recently made a sauce out of dry-roasted onions, carrots, and my home grown peppers: 6 ghost peppers and 3 Trinidad Moruga scorpions. Apple cider vinegar for the acidity and a nice fruitiness that complements the peppers really well. I got five bottles from that batch and it's delicious, with a respectable make-you-sweat heat that seems pretty well balanced with the flavor.

It's missing something. I think I wanted to throw some garlic and some kind of spice into it but I forgot.

Thinking of doing a super small batch mash with my last four scorps.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Comb Your Beard posted:

I dropped onions and started just using garlic, seems to give more flavor and less bulk. It sounds like you're doing a low quantity of ultra-hot peppers, 9 peppers total going into 5 bottles. Maybe round it out with more medium hot peppers, some arbols, cayennes, thais, serannos, or jalapenos. I also use fish sauce in lieu of salt but I'm a freak.

It was a low yield season, unfortunately. I just remembered I have a bag of Thai peppers from last year in my freezer, though, so I could do a big ol' mash with that and my last few scorpions.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Just lol if you make a 5k scoville sauce and call it "hellfire" in a world where the Carolina Reaper exists

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Or just establish an objective, repeatable, cheap way to test capsaicin levels in peppers and pepper products. A pico de gallo made with habaneros isn't going to have the same heat as a raw habanero eaten straight, and my basic ghost-scorpion sauce is not as hot* as a pure mash fermentation of those two peppers would be, purely because of the additional ingredients.

* still hot as gently caress, and the flavor is incredible. I'm still putting together a list of seeds to buy for next year, but I'm about 90% settled on at least these:

Ghost
Scorpion
Scotch bonnet
Habanero
Thai

And probably those long spindly Kung Pao peppers from Pepper Joe's. I think it's a C. chinense variety.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I found Nando's peri-peri sauce at my local supermarket and I kinda want to try duplicating that style of sauce because it was just that good, and the bottle was way too small. I put it on everything.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

large hands posted:

This recipe worked well for me, although i used fresh Thai chilis because i can't find birds eye chilis locally

I think they're comparable enough in heat levels and flavor that either works well depending on what you have access to. I haven't been able to find the African ones either. Not even seeds.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

El Yucateco is a classic.

It's not that hot, but does anyone else like classic Cholula on eggs?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lao Gan Ma (aka Spicy Chili Crisp, aka 老干妈, aka Angry Lady Sauce) is one of the best Sichuan condiments and goes really well on a lot of things.

Our very own Gravity84 has a good recipe for it here.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, if you're going to be handling hot peppers, always have a friend touch your penis for you

Unless your friend has also been handling hot peppers.

Friends don't give friends the ol' spicy penis.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My mom's friend grows chili peppers and weed for me and he just brought over a ghost pepper plant that has two purple ones on it. Gonna look into doing a fermented sauce this time.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cholula green is really good on eggs too.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

mischief posted:

Culley's Roasted Carolina Reaper - Slow burn to an otherwise really flavorful sauce. Really cool to see the roasted reaper peppers, adds a little sweetness and burns off the previously mentioned hot metal nose. Will leave your lips numb for a while.

Roasting is a really great touch for sauces made with super hot peppers. I did a ghost pepper/scorpion sauce and roasted the peppers. Sweet and ridiculously hot.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I found an amazing Trinidadian roti shop that sells this incredible scotch bonnet hot sauce. I'm in love with this stuff, it's so good.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

For anyone in Boston, Singh's Roti Shop on Columbia in Dorchester has an awesome homemade scotch bonnet sauce.

The food is amazing too.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Can I do a lactoferment with peppers I froze last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

wormil posted:

Yes. Should probably add some fresh ingredients for insurance. Lactobacillus can survive freezing but most of them will die.

It's getting close to harvest time, so I might use this year's peppers as well.