Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Has anyone ever tried making their own hot sauce? My sister got me a book of hot sauce & related recipes for my birthday last month and I think I'm going to try making a fermented pepper mash, which the book in turns uses to make several different kind of hot sauces. Basically it calls for aging some smushed-up chiles in vinegar for a week or two, filtering out the seeds and pureeing it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Sort of related to hot sauce, but is there any appreciable difference in terms of spiciness between different colors of habanero peppers?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Annath posted:

Hey goons I put some peppers in a blender with garlic, salt, onion, and vinegar. Can I keep the mash in the pantry without killing myself, or should it go in the fridge? And how long should I let it sit before straining it (if I choose to do so)?

I'd put it in the fridge since it's fresh veggies, even if the salt and vinegar help out in that regard. I would say that straining depends on how much of the flavor you want out of the veggies. In fact I'd almost suggest to blend it as smooth as possible and not strain out the solids.

If you're worried about a mash going bad, try fermenting or pickling the peppers for a week or two before making them into a mash. Keeps for a much longer time and the flavor is more pronounced, not to mention that if you make a mash of just peppers then you can use that as a base to play with different vinegar contents, extra veggies, and other stuff. I started doing it a few months ago and it's a lot of fun, currently testing green jalapenos to see how well they work (the original recipe suggested red jalapenos or fresno peppers, which are a little harder for me to find)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

pr0k posted:

I got a bunch coming my way, is homemade chipotle so amazing I must try it, or is it just fun to make your own?

I've been making my own hot sauces for six-ish months now, nothing super fancy but it's fun. Ground up a can of chipotle peppers for another recipe and am tempted to mix some of it up with some vinegar to see what comes out, but drat do I wish I had a smoker to make my own chipotles (or even just a reliable source of red jalapenos)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

unknown posted:

When making chipotles yourself, it's the real extra smokey flavour you can get (which then gets passed to whatever you use them for).

I find that if I truly dry them out, they're not as nice and lose a bunch of flavour. I pull them out after 12-16 hours and they end up more like candied peppers than shrivelled black things than need to be rehydrated before use (also are sweeter flavour).

Pic of that batch after I pulled them.

Oh baby :jackbud: I need a house with a backyard so I can get a smoker.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If you're worried about bacteria or something you can buy some cheap pH test strips online and check with those, microbial growth can't occur below a certain pH value (4-ish, might want to confirm beforehand)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is it cool to talk about making hot sauce in this thread?

I usually make hot sauce with formerly fresh frozen whole peppers (minus the stem and the core where it attaches obvi). Then whole garlic, salt, vinegar, blend, minimal filtering. Then I bottle it in old 12 oz Crystal hot sauce bottles thinned out a bit with a thinner commercial brand like Crystal or Goya.

Got some dried chile de árbols that are quite hot. Thinking split them lengthwise, destem, dump, rehydrate in white vinegar, then use them the same way I would the thawed ones, reserving vinegar for later. Good plan or nah?

Cholula uses árbols and that stuff is quality in my opinion.

Came here to make this same post, lol

My sister bought me The Hot Sauce Cookbook for my birthday last year which has a good recipe for fermented pepper mash, which I then just mix with different types of vinegar in different ratios (plus other stuff) and boom, hot sauce. Tried with fresnos, red jalapenos, and green jalapenos so far. I made a really good sauce from green mash, rice wine vinegar, garlic, and lime juice which is great on both Mexican food and SE Asian stuff.

Haven't tried using dried chilis for mashes but that sounds sexy, I can get quite a few different types of dried chili around here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm kinda intimidated to do a fermented mash. At this point I will probably stick with my method since I like the taste.

I use a lot of vinegar but it never tastes too sour like Tabasco does to me.

The white vinegar I have on-hand currently is this funky Filipino brand. I also use a little fish sauce and cider vinegar.

Next growing season I'm keeping it simple and just buying seeds from Burpee. Red Habaneros and "Dragon Cayennes".

Do what tastes best to you but this is the first time I've tried to make hot sauce (or even canned/pickled/fermented anything) and after a half-dozen runs I've yet to poison myself in any manner. The mash also stay fresh for a long time so you can whip up a new batch whenever the mood strikes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Bad: Had to throw away some pepper mash tonight because I got too gung-ho last fall and made more than I could reasonably use :negative:

Good: Made a pretty good and v hot Asian-style sauce with mash, rice vinegar, garlic, sugar, and fish sauce :flame:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It's been fairly cool, like 60F. I should've mentioned the instructions are to loosely cap the jar so the water can fizz out.

The full process was: mash up 2lbs of peppers, stir in 1/4 cup pickling or sea salt (thinking back I just used Morton's), then let them sit out overnight, uncovered. Next day put in the jar and wait.

I use a very similar method of making mash, perhaps even the same one (from Robb Walsh's hot sauce cookbook?) and FWIW I've never witnessed them fizzing. I've witnessed leakage residue which I assume is the aftermath of fizzing on one or two occasions; if you put a paper towel under the jar you might notice dried brine with a reddish hue one day. Mashes that I make this way have always turned out OK, even without fizzing. If the fermentation really kicks in then the final product might keep longer, but I've had mashes keep for 4-5 months in the fridge before going bad. I actually have some from October that I need to hurry up and use because it's in my fermentation jar...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've never seen pepper shrinkage either, but again I just roll with it. The peppers do get softer as they ferment so you can squeeze more in there if you want. I haven't tried doing that though, nor have I tried putting them in direct sunlight.

I was going to tell you to try other peppers besides red jalapenos but I see you're already doing that. I've done it with red fresno peppers and green jalapenos as well and it worked on both, the green jalapenos turned out particularly well. Gonna try some long hots next. Also, try the peanut sauce recipe near the back of that book!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Still haven't experimented with sauces although the past several posts about making a pepper mash sound really promising and I have access to a juicer at my house. Might make a carrot juice base to use with my habeneros.

Do it, it's fun and it's kind of like an elementary school science project when you're waiting for the peppers to ferment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Update! I gave the chiles 2 weeks to ferment, then added the vinegar and threw them in the food processor. I tried it afterward and...holy poo poo I did not expect it to be that salty. I mean, yeah, you add a lot of salt during the process, but the book said you could use it as a sauce right away and I don't see how.

Don't eat the mash straight but it's good if you mix it into stuff like during cooking. If you want a proper hot sauce you take the mash and mix it with vinegar and other stuff, I like to add a bit of sugar and garlic. Honey is also really good in place of the sugar, you just need something to balance out the heat a bit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

That's what I use. Don't use iodized salt because the iodine will inhibit the sort of microbial growth you want for fermenting.

Also BONER since we're using the same technique I'll give you a tip I learned yesterday- the chloride compound in tap water is designed to not boil off, so if you have a Brita filter or other charcoal filter for water use the liquid out of that. Chloride doesn't play well with bacteria either.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

I've never been one to put this on stuff that I eat, but it's a great sauce to use while cooking.

RisqueBarber posted:

I'm doing a pork shoulder this Saturday and wanted to try a new BBQ sauce, something spicy preferable. Do you guys have any favorites?

It's not super-spicy by default but I made a great BBQ sauce with bourbon a while back, you could add more hot sauce than the recipe calls for and get something really special-

1/2 onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup bourbon whiskey
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste

In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic, and whiskey. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Mix in the ground black pepper, salt, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Run sauce through a strainer if you prefer a smooth sauce.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Starting to get back into fermented pepper mash/hot sauce making after ignoring it for a few months. I have some red long hot peppers that have been fermenting for a week now and am about to start a mixed ferment of red jalapeños with some habaneros thrown in for taste. Also got a couple pounds of green jalapeños for cheap and am going to try roasting some and doing a mash from those.

Any idea what I can do with several Mason jars worth of fermented peppers in a little bit of brine? I'm not sure that I through hot sauce quickly enough to use all of that mash for sauce. I'll mix a little bit of it into my cooking every so often but other more creative uses are appreciated.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Has anyone ever done homemade buffalo sauce? I'm trying to find a recipe that I can make straight from fermented mash, and also without using a grip of butter if possible (but I won't complain if it can't be done!)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

COOL CORN posted:

Like, just mix hot sauce and butter, boom, Bob's your uncle.

Does the butter separate out? I want something that will keep for a while if possible.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
There's a spice store near my apartment that has a bunch of different varieties of dried chiles. Has anyone ever tried to make stuff out of dried chiles (or used them in conjunction with fresh ones), and was it worth it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jmcrofts posted:

Can't speak to using them in hot sauce, but for making chili they are invaluable

Do you just toss a couple in while it's stewing, or do you cut them up in any way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've had more luck fermenting whole peppers (well technically cut in half) and then mashing them up, maybe try that if this doesn't work?