Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I plan to put it on some pork carnitas I made yesterday. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jerk sauce has an... interesting taste to me. Almost piney. Dunno if I'm alone in this but it's weird.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I've bounced off every Jerk sauce thus far save the stout little bottles of Walkerswood and one random BBQ joint's inhouse take on it, so I can somewhat relate.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

iospace posted:

Jerk sauce has an... interesting taste to me. Almost piney. Dunno if I'm alone in this but it's weird.

It's the allspice. It's what makes the caribbean taste like the caribbean.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Ignoring the stupid name, this is some seriously delicious sauce. If you can find it, buy it. It's not that hot, but it has some heat to it - and the flavor is really great, warm and tangy and complex.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Ignoring the stupid name, this is some seriously delicious sauce. If you can find it, buy it. It's not that hot, but it has some heat to it - and the flavor is really great, warm and tangy and complex.

Where are you getting this from?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

iospace posted:

Where are you getting this from?

Market of Choice in Eugene, OR. I'm not sure what their distribution radius is like, but they're based in the same state.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
When I'm grocery shopping and hot sauce is on the list I almost always try something new. Like BBQ sauce the varieties are endless so you'll never run out. My favorite though, and the only one I have unopened bottles in the cupboard, is this:

Scotch bonnet peppers and habaneros are just the right level of heat for me, and they can be surprisingly fruity or even floral. The ingredients for this stuff is "Scotch Bonnet Peppers (Capsicum), Cane Vinegar, Cane Sugar, Water, Salt, Modified Starch, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid." On paper that looks no different than Lousiana hot sauce or Texas Pete. On tasting you'd swear there's something more in there - citrus zest, onions... The acidity does not overpower the heat or the flavor of the pepper itself, which can be a huge dealbreaker for me. I hate hot sauces that are too vinegar-y.

Anyone have recommendations in the same range of heat? I'm really interested in trying other brands based on the same style of sauce. It's Caribbean in origin, but doesn't have any defining ingredients other than the type of pepper used.

Also want to mention the only thing I ever actually refer to as my "secret ingredient."

Make a standard-rear end macaroni salad with hard boiled egg chunks + canned tuna + diced celery. When adding mayo and mixing, drop some sambal oelek in there to taste. Just enough heat to complement everything else. You still want it to be a refreshing cold mac salad. If you do it right, no one at the picnic will be able to identify chili/garlic as the secret ingredient. It's just really good mac salad.

Gotta try this with lump crab meat instead of eggs/tuna sometime.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 5, 2017

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Seconding the recommend for Grace scotch bonnet sauce. It's hot as balls in a nice, really tasty way that comes from just a tonne of good peppers.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

p-hop posted:

Anyone have recommendations in the same range of heat? I'm really interested in trying other brands based on the same style of sauce. It's Caribbean in origin, but doesn't have any defining ingredients other than the type of pepper used.

i like all the matouk's sauces but their flambeau sauce is similar to that, mostly scotch bonnet flavor. if you like a mustard/habanero caribbean sauces their Calypso sauce is killer.

e: Marie Sharpe's should be similar too

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
seconding Marie Sharp's, also Melinda's has some good habanero sauces.

http://www.mariesharps-bz.com/

https://melindas.com/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

p-hop posted:

When I'm grocery shopping and hot sauce is on the list I almost always try something new. Like BBQ sauce the varieties are endless so you'll never run out. My favorite though, and the only one I have unopened bottles in the cupboard, is this:

Scotch bonnet peppers and habaneros are just the right level of heat for me, and they can be surprisingly fruity or even floral. The ingredients for this stuff is "Scotch Bonnet Peppers (Capsicum), Cane Vinegar, Cane Sugar, Water, Salt, Modified Starch, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid." On paper that looks no different than Lousiana hot sauce or Texas Pete. On tasting you'd swear there's something more in there - citrus zest, onions... The acidity does not overpower the heat or the flavor of the pepper itself, which can be a huge dealbreaker for me. I hate hot sauces that are too vinegar-y.

Yep, also a staple in my cabinet, and it's got plenty of love in this thread before. I've had a few Jamaican Scotch Bonnet sauces that were slightly better, but they are hard to find / expensive. The Grace stuff is great!

p-hop posted:

Also want to mention the only thing I ever actually refer to as my "secret ingredient."

Huy Fong Sambal is super popular in GWS, not just with us hot sauce junkies. The main difference between sambal and sriracha is that the sambal has no sugar.

large hands posted:

i like all the matouk's sauces but their flambeau sauce is similar to that, mostly scotch bonnet flavor. if you like a mustard/habanero caribbean sauces their Calypso sauce is killer.

I've always been a big fan of those two Matouk sauces, but on my last vacation I found an even better one, "Matouk's Hot Pepper Sauce Salsa Picante" It's made from fermented Scotch Bonnets! It's slightly less hot then the Flambeau one, but it's got tons of flavor.
It's harder to find in the US, but some of my local Caribbean markets carry it.

https://www.amazon.com/Matouks-Hot-Pepper-Sauce-Ounce/dp/B00JLZCO6I/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

uber_stoat posted:

seconding Marie Sharp's, also Melinda's has some good habanero sauces.

Melinda's is great.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I could put Melinda's on everything, up to and including ice cream.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
while looking up some info on Grace hot sauces, I discovered they are not only a producer of delicious hot sauce but they also make a wide variety of items, including the notorious "Cock Flavored Soup."

gonna put some hot sauce on my cock.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

The Whitehouse Station habanero is my all time favorite sauce. It's totally simple, and really mouth-hot.

Ingredients posted:

Habanero Peppers, Onions, Garlic, Sugar, Salt, Distilled White Vinegar, Water
And that's it!

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I'm doing a pork shoulder this Saturday and wanted to try a new BBQ sauce, something spicy preferable. Do you guys have any favorites?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Since we were just talking Jamaican, how about Walkerswood Jerk paste?

https://www.amazon.com/Walkerswood-Jamaican-Seasoning-10-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B005CMA6RS/

It's not a sauce, it's a marinade/rub, because it's SUPER concentrated. You can make a BBQ sauce out of the drippings.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

RisqueBarber posted:

I'm doing a pork shoulder this Saturday and wanted to try a new BBQ sauce, something spicy preferable. Do you guys have any favorites?

http://www.commissarybbq.com/products/bbq-sauce-hot

Wish this stuff was available to order alone without needing to buy other items because it's some of my favorite sauce and for $5 it's definitely one of the best. It's in pretty much every Memphis grocery store and I usually stock up when I'm back in town. Makes some awesome BBQ grilled chicken.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

RisqueBarber posted:

my absolute favorite mustard based bbq sauce from a now closed bbq joint in my town. this recipe makes around a couple of biggish squirt bottles but i put it on everything and it keeps forever in the fridge. if you wanted it hotter throw a few serranos or habs in with the other veggies.

Old Yella BBQ Sauce

1 large onion, chopped

2 clove garlic, chopped

2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and roughly chopped

1 cup grainy mustard

2 cup yellow mustard

¾ cup corn syrup

½ cup molasses

1 tsp cayenne pepper

2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp pepper

1. Heat a small pan over low heat. Add onion, garlic, and jalapenos; cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are fork-tender.

2. Transfer contents to a food processor and purée until smooth.

3. Cool to room temperature, then whisk in grainy mustard, yellow mustard, corn syrup, molasses, 1 teaspoon of cayenne, Worcestershire sauce, remaining kosher salt, and pepper. Set sauce aside until plating

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Since we were just talking Jamaican, how about Walkerswood Jerk paste?

https://www.amazon.com/Walkerswood-Jamaican-Seasoning-10-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B005CMA6RS/

It's not a sauce, it's a marinade/rub, because it's SUPER concentrated. You can make a BBQ sauce out of the drippings.

I find it on the salty side of things. But it does say "use sparingly" and I don't. I generally just make my own marinade these days (see the smoking meat thread) if you've got some time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I've never been one to put this on stuff that I eat, but it's a great sauce to use while cooking.

RisqueBarber posted:

It's not super-spicy by default but I made a great BBQ sauce with bourbon a while back, you could add more hot sauce than the recipe calls for and get something really special-

1/2 onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup bourbon whiskey
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste

In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic, and whiskey. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Mix in the ground black pepper, salt, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Run sauce through a strainer if you prefer a smooth sauce.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

See Dave's Ghost Sauce.

Has extract.

gently caress that.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

iospace posted:

See Dave's Ghost Sauce.

Has extract.

gently caress that.

Yeah, go with Tropical Pepper Co Ghost Pepper Sauce. It's delicious, hot as hell, extract free, and available in some grocery stores even.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iospace posted:

See Dave's Ghost Sauce.

Has extract.

gently caress that.

Dave's scorpion doesn't though for some reason.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Speaking of ghost peppers...

Have about 16 full-sized ghost peppers across 3 plants so far. 4 of them should be ready to pick in the next day or two. My entire crop got wrecked last year, so I am in very short supply of my homemade sauce. Time to restock!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I bought Secret Aardvark Habanero hot sauce thinking it was a marinade (even though it clearly says hot sauce). It says it can be used as a marinade, has anyone ever tried it?

Going to try it on a pork tenderloin. Thinking I'll just coat the loin and let it marinate for about four hours then grill it. Planning to do the same with the Jamaican jerk sauce/marinade too.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

QuarkMartial posted:

I bought Secret Aardvark Habanero hot sauce thinking it was a marinade (even though it clearly says hot sauce). It says it can be used as a marinade, has anyone ever tried it?

Going to try it on a pork tenderloin. Thinking I'll just coat the loin and let it marinate for about four hours then grill it. Planning to do the same with the Jamaican jerk sauce/marinade too.

Never tried the habanero as a marinade, but I really like the jamaican jerk and black bean as a marinade. The habanero is the first suggestion from this thread that I've ever repurchased. It's noting special, but really well balanced and the perfect amount of heat for my tastes. Pretty much replaced sriracha for me.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
It is delicious. I won't use all of it for marinade, that's for sure. I'll be grilling it tomorrow, so I'll share the results.

E: Used about 2/3 the bottle to marinate one tenderloin. Used the Jerk marinade to do the other tenderloin. They should be ready to grill in a few more hours!

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 18, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Here goes. Jerk on the right, hab on the left.

E: Turned out pretty good. The habanero was good, but definitely not a marinade and I wouldn't do it again. I don't feel like it was a waste, but it could be better. The Jerk was great and I'll make it again for sure.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 18, 2017

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Just gotta say I love all the super hot naga/scorpion/reaper etc. peppers that are all shriveled up. They look just as evil as they taste. Those fuckers are mean as poo poo and they let you know it before you even touch them. Lookin' straight up like the sun dried heart of a sinner. If they had fists, those fists would be clenched.

Got a couple Matouk's sauces on my list thanks to the thread. Someone posted Dinosaur Barbecue's habanero sauce earlier:

I really like their Wango Tango sauce. It's their regular BBQ sauce with more heat. It's fantastic as a glaze and as a dipping sauce. Most BBQ sauce you can find at a store in the northeast US is sugar based, but this has crushed tomatoes and vinegar as the first two ingredients. It can be a little runny compared to sugar based BBQ sauces, but tastes so much better with chicken and pork. I'm not a big fan of BBQ sauce that slowly sharts out of the jar and holds its form like some kind of savory pudding.

It's not a hot sauce, but it's plenty hot and a lot closer to a hot sauce than most BBQ sauces are. So loving good on wings or thighs that you've charred on the grill. Dinosaur is local to me, and I have fond memories of trying Wango Tango as my first "actually spicy" food as a kid. Later my parents would get angry at how fast we went through bottles of the stuff.

edit: sometimes I even like to dip my steak in it :whitewater:

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 19, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Got a bottle of Bravado Spice Co Ghost Pepper and Blueberry hot sauce for my birthday. Can't wait to try it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

QuarkMartial posted:

Got a bottle of Bravado Spice Co Ghost Pepper and Blueberry hot sauce for my birthday. Can't wait to try it.

I've had their jalapeno and green apple flavor. pretty good. be careful when pouring it, the bottle doesn't have a dasher top, or at least mine didn't, and when I first opened it I poured like 1/3 of the bottle on the plate because I assumed it would just dribble out.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
What gets everybody's vote for most habanero-y hot sauce? I'm looking for something that emphasized the fruity notes of the hab but with a more moderate heat level.

I keep a bottle of El Yucateco on my kitchen table but want something I can dump in stews to get that distinct habanero flavor. Is the Melinda's brand decent?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Marie Sharp's sauces are all amazing. This one is the most "pure habanero flavor" one that I have tried.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Doom Rooster posted:

Marie Sharp's sauces are all amazing. This one is the most "pure habanero flavor" one that I have tried.

Cool, I'll look around for that one.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Human Tornada posted:

Is the Melinda's brand decent?

I love Melinda's but it has garlic and carrot flavor - it's more than just heat.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

uber_stoat posted:

I've had their jalapeno and green apple flavor. pretty good. be careful when pouring it, the bottle doesn't have a dasher top, or at least mine didn't, and when I first opened it I poured like 1/3 of the bottle on the plate because I assumed it would just dribble out.

Thank you for the warning on this. It's super liquidy and without the dropper I definitely would have dumped out half the bottle.

It's a very good sauce; not as hot as I thought it'd be, and it is dry the same way red wine is dry. I really like it a lot and I'm glad I got this as a gift.

Doom Rooster posted:

Going to second this brand. I bough a bottle of the "Fiery Hot Habanero Sauce" at the store a few nights back, and it's really good. Has a nice heat to it, which it should as habaneros are the first ingredient. It is vinegar-based, so it's like a chunky habanero Louisiana in a way.

Secret Aardvark Habanero Hot sauce is also good; it's got a decent flavor and heat level to it, but not overwhelmingly so.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Human Tornada posted:

What gets everybody's vote for most habanero-y hot sauce? I'm looking for something that emphasized the fruity notes of the hab but with a more moderate heat level.

I keep a bottle of El Yucateco on my kitchen table but want something I can dump in stews to get that distinct habanero flavor. Is the Melinda's brand decent?

when I last went on a hot sauce spending spree I bought a package deal of several CaJohn's pepper puree bottles. basically just pulped peppers in vinegar, nothing else. kind of comparatively expensive, but it is about as pure as you're gonna get.

http://cajohns.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_81&product_id=70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

iospace posted:

I imagine that's thyme.