Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

These people are for laughing at, since they don't know how to use a wiki in 2014/can't figure out a callback to a plot point that happened ten minutes/one episode ago. Also, the OP doesn't actually help with these questions. Otherwise you probably wouldn't get them.

You're worse than all of those people put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

Timett posted:

I'm trying to think of a compromise not that it's my place to do so... Would putting each house behind a spoiler tag shorten it up while retaining the information or would that just turn the whole post into a big black wall that's as long as ever.

The compromise is for people to stop being so goony and just spend 10 seconds per week of their undoubtedly busy and important lives scrolling past it the first time they visit the thread.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

Can you book readers please stop having attempts at vague conversations about why something definitely will or won't happen with Sansa or the fallout from the trial. You're about as subtle as a Mountain smash to the face.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

Bobo the Red posted:

Well, it would be high treason (she's the king's sister). It would also be loving twisted (she's a little girl, and not even the Lannisters killed the girl they had captive), and if his family respects Oberryn, they are likely also not psychos.

"Elia of Dorne. You raped her, you murdered her. You killed her children"

Oberyn shouts this several times during the fight. The Lannisters have already had little children killed, that's one of the main reasons Oberyn was there. Do you not remember in the first series when Cersei had every one of Robert's bastards in King's Landing murdered, babies and all?

In my mind the significance of the trial for the Martells is that the Mountain just admitted to raping and murdering Elia Martell in front of all the nobility in King's Landing, something which Tywin at the very least permitted. As far as I'm aware before that it was just an allegation. Doran Martell might not have much official recourse to Oberyn dying in a trial by combat (not that it would necessarily stop him from seeking retribution anyway), but confirmation that Tywin ordered (or at least permitted) the rape and murder of his little sister would probably interest him.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

Vernii posted:

Pretty sure that was Joffrey who gave the order for the KL bastard purge, just that everyone suspected Cersei first.

Either way, the Lannisters aren't above killing children if they need/want to.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

Because Gregor suffered from multiple large stab wounds in his chest and was weakened to the point where he couldn't even support himself on his good leg. Then he lies on the ground bleeding(and poisoned) for a while and suddenly he is fit enough again to hulk out and crush the head of somebody who just happened to forget his legendary knife skills with which he could have easily saved himself.

The Mountain was stabbed in the gut twice and hamstrung so he couldn't stand. Oberyn did not have a knife.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

SBJ posted:

GRRM doesn't seem like a sperg even though he may look like one. I think if the show deviates from the books he wouldn't mind too much as long as it was good. I personally don't want them to simply because I haven't read the books and I probably never will.

GRRM posted:

You know, it's David and Dan really. David Benioff and Dan Weiss are the show runners.

I don't have any veto power. I signed a pretty standard contract where I gave them rights to adapt this into a television series and I got certain titles and agreed I'd write one script a year and a large dump truck full of money. And they can have the aliens come down next season. They can turn the whole cast into vampires and I'm powerless to stop them, but I don't think they will do that. They love the books and they seem committed to telling my story in a different medium. And I knew all that before I signed any of the contracts.

I mean, if you're J. K. Rowling, you can go into a situation where every studio in Hollywood wants you and you can set very stringent terms where you get to approve everything. But if you're not J. K. Rowling, and virtually nobody is J. K. Rowling, except for J. K. Rowling, then you can't do that. And you have to find people that you trust and put your faith in them and in the understanding of the story. Which is something that I think I also understood a fair amount of that because of my ten years working in Hollywood in the effect that I had seen the other side of the process.

Sometimes, I think some of my fellow novelists who have not worked in television and film are very naive about this process. They get an offer and there's the dump truck full of money and they sign it, they cash the check and then they’re not involved in the series. They may get invited to premiere and they come out of the premiere looking like all of their children have just been gassed and with a stunned look on their face 'cause everything has been changed. And it's, some of them get very upset and start writing angry editorials and things like that.

I haven't heard of anyone except Alan Moore actually returning the check however. So, I think there's a certain, I don't know, hypocrisy there. It's not a secret that Hollywood does change things and maybe they change too many things.

When I had my writer hat off and I put on my reader and my fan boy hat, I get upset as anyone and I can go on for a long time about how they change things in Spiderman and the Fantastic Four in ways that I don't approve of. But nonetheless, you gotta know the job is dangerous when you take it, you know?

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

Shath Hole posted:

I apologize if I missed it (this thread moves quick!) but didn't her hair seem black as well? I don't think it means evil Sansa either, the black outfit would make sense for the funeral but the hair kinda threw me unless it was just poor lighting.

Yes http://imgur.com/gallery/cFsjkYa

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

Is this including when JSMDT and TLKCL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

They aren't killing the guy who's had top billing for this long.

Yes, if there's one thing that this programme being adapted from 15 year old books has, it's an aversion to killing important or well-liked characters.

If Tyrion doesn't die the popularity of the character will have had absolutely nothing to do with it.

• Locked thread