Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Without actually revealing any of them, how many major game-changing spoilers are there in the next books (4 and 5)? Everyone says they are such slow books and they happen at the same time, so are they a lot less dense with the "Oh poo poo" moments/paradigm shifts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

an skeleton posted:

Without actually revealing any of them, how many major game-changing spoilers are there in the next books (4 and 5)? Everyone says they are such slow books and they happen at the same time, so are they a lot less dense with the "Oh poo poo" moments/paradigm shifts?

This is a real question you posted in this thread?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She doesn't listen to Barristan because he hasn't killed anyone. Best swordsman my rear end.

So Barristan is basically the Raiden of GoT.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

an skeleton posted:

edit: and a half

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

Is this including when JSMDT and TLKCL?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bob holness paradox posted:

Is this including when JSMDT and TLKCL?

What's a jizz-mitt and tickle and how much does one cost?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Sorry. I don't really want an exact number. I'm just curious if the pace of the story is the same for 4 and 5, and if not, do we think that the showrunners might adjust things to make the next seasons more exciting?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

What's a jizz-mitt and tickle and how much does one cost?

the iron price

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Books 4 and 5 happen somewhat simultaneously and some characters are in one book while the rest are in the other. Some are in both. Since the show presents all story lines together, it's already dabbled a bit into both books 4 and 5 in some arcs.

A lot happens in them. In the spoiler thread, we're trying to piece out which and how many "oh poo poo" moments they can fit into the next season (and the last two episodes of this season), but it's hard to put a number on how many there are. If you don't care about Character A's story line, his or her next "oh poo poo" moment might not register on your scale. The books have a few cliffhangers, so perhaps we'll discover in book 6 that some of those moments won't even tie into the main plot, so it can be unclear as to which moments become defined as noteworthy.

They're definitely worth reading though, then you can answer this question for yourself.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

an skeleton posted:

Sorry. I don't really want an exact number. I'm just curious if the pace of the story is the same for 4 and 5, and if not, do we think that the showrunners might adjust things to make the next seasons more exciting?

Pace.... hah... hahahahahah haha hahahahaha

Oh hahahahghaghahahhahah

Max
Nov 30, 2002

an skeleton posted:

They already have. Stuff from 4 and 5 has crept into this season, and other characters have completely bypassed some of their slower arcs.

4 and 5 are SLOW, and their climaxes were cut out so that they would show up at the beginning of 6.

There is actually a reading list out there for reading all the chapters from 4 and 5 in chronological order. If you're going to go through them, it would be best to use that list. Things work way better.

Max fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 5, 2014

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
So what in the show has already occurred in AFFC/DWD? Won't poaching from future books mean we'll end up skipping over certain arcs for long periods of time?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kasonic posted:

So what in the show has already occurred in AFFC/DWD? Won't poaching from future books mean we'll end up skipping over certain arcs for long periods of time?

Theon. He goes away in book 2 and doesn't come back until DWD. They obviously had to keep him around in order to keep the actor, so they showed us the torture that was only implied in the books. Bran also. His last chapter in SoS is going beyond the wall, which we saw at the end of the last season.

Max fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 5, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
They're already trying to cram 800 pages of material into 10 hours of television

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As long as we're asking book questions, I'm a show watcher 1st and about 50 pages into book 3.

Does it look like I can safely finish this book over the next 2 weeks, or does it look like some major book 3 happenings won't make it into the show until next year? I want to read as much as possible without getting ahead and spoiling something awesome like that fight we just saw. I'm scared to venture into the spoilers thread to ask because I might see something I don't want to. Just want to know if I can plow through book 3 this month.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Chris Christie posted:

As long as we're asking book questions, I'm a show watcher 1st and about 50 pages into book 3.

Does it look like I can safely finish this book over the next 2 weeks, or does it look like some major book 3 happenings won't make it into the show until next year? I want to read as much as possible without getting ahead and spoiling something awesome like that fight we just saw. I'm scared to venture into the spoilers thread to ask because I might see something I don't want to. Just want to know if I can plow through book 3 this month.

Yes. All of book 3 should be done by the end of this season.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chris Christie posted:

I don't think this is a spoiler since it's a general rule of thumb for TV shows but yes, something huge will happen at the end of this season that you'd probably want to either wait for or finish reading the book fast to get to. Next week's show is the attack on the wall, it looks like, which isn't a huge deal and will probably give you an extra week to read through book 3 fast.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 5, 2014

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Kasonic posted:

I think this topic might be a spoiler because it's essentially a list of characters who we know won't die during this and/or next season.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Holy poo poo you guys are loving assholes. Stop talking about the books. Especially about when major events happen.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

End of Life Guy posted:

I think this topic might be a spoiler because it's essentially a list of characters who we know won't die during this and/or next season.

Not really. They've just moved some stories up, and I'm only telling you that their stories start in the book. That's also not taking into account the show runners know the character's fate, so if someone is meant. The seasons aren't going to adhere to one season = one book anymore.

This conversation is dangerous, but it's going to come up more and more as the show as the show reaches the meta-crisis of catching up to the books.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bobo the Me posted:

Holy poo poo you guys are loving assholes. Stop talking about the books. Especially about when major events happen.

Seriously. I can't even read this thread anymore. I'm afraid to open it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kasonic posted:

Disclaimer: Any of these characters could die at any point, or they might live forever.

(Not really any spoilers but just in case) Theon and Bran are the main ones. There are a few elements of Dany's story too (ASoS ends very soon after she takes Meereen, although kicking out Jorah is in the book). Brienne shouldn't be on her quest yet but she hasn't really 'done' much of her potential AFFC material in the show yet. Sansa's ASoS story ends immediately after the moon door incident, so the last episode was basically AFFC stuff but changed pretty heavily.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

At this point I'd be more worried about the show spoiling the books.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bobo the Red posted:

There's been literally nothing since this conversation started that could be considered a spoiler but I do agree it should stop because it would be all too easy for someone to let one slip.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

There's been literally nothing since this conversation started that could be considered a spoiler but I do agree it should stop because it would be all too easy for someone to let one slip.

Yeah, I'm not talking about it anymore, but none of that stuff was spoilers.

And at the pace that everything is going, the show will definitely spoil the books. But every book person I know doesn't care and/or is actually glad to see that happen.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Max posted:

And at the pace that everything is going, the show will definitely spoil the books. But every book person I know doesn't care and/or is actually glad to see that happen.

Oh yeah, I just meant that they're likely to use book 6 material anytime now.

So no, you definitely shouldn't worry about being spoiled if you read book 3 after the season ends.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

End of Life Guy posted:

In the spoiler thread, we're trying to piece out which and how many "oh poo poo" moments they can fit into the next season (and the last two episodes of this season), but it's hard to put a number on how many there are.

It's 3.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Max posted:

I look forward to show watchers posting youtube videos of their book-reading friends' reactions to chapters where someone important dies

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Questions like these would better be asked here. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3305853 It's hardly used but this is a thread about the books where spoilers are inside spoiler tags.

This is also a good thread if you're in the middle of reading the books and want somewhere to post your opinions without being afraid of spoilers.

Or if you're just watching the show and have no intention of reading the books and you want to know if something was different or not, you can ask it there. Or maybe you're just wondering what a character was thinking during a certain scene in the show, or you don't understand a character's decision. Ask there.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 5, 2014

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Questions like these would better be asked here. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3305853 It's hardly used but this is a thread about the books where spoilers are inside spoiler tags.

This is also a good thread if you're in the middle of reading the books and want somewhere to post your opinions without being afraid of spoilers.

Or if you're just watching the show and have no intention of reading the books and you want to know if something was different or not, you can ask it there.

I didn't realize that there is now a fourth thread for this series on the forums.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Max posted:

I didn't realize that there is now a fourth thread for this series on the forums.

"Now"? That thread is older than the show

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Regy Rusty posted:

"Now"? That thread is older than the show

I remember when the bad thread was the only thread. But I don't look at the main BB forums that much, just what's bookmarked.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

PantsBandit posted:

That's exactly why we keep telling people not to talk about the books. Some people can do it without spoiling, but someone who can't will join in, probably on accident, and spoil poo poo. Please, be cool. There are apparently 3 other threads you can talk book stuff in. In this thread, if you can't answer something based on show info (and the HBO companion materials, I guess), then the answer is "We don't know". If someone asks about the books, ignore them, PM them, or point them to another thread.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Kempo posted:

Two things I have learnt today:

1. People actually like Jorah, the character that gets the biggest groan from me when he comes on screen. All he does is stand around in his stupid shirt telling Daenerys not to do anything and waffles on in an annoying disjointed manner. I want to Mountain his face everytime he says "khalisee".

2. Some spoilers because I clicked the wrong loving thread.

but she's the muthrr of drrahgns

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bobo the Red posted:

That's exactly why we keep telling people not to talk about the books. Some people can do it without spoiling, but someone who can't will join in, probably on accident, and spoil poo poo. Please, be cool. There are apparently 3 other threads you can talk book stuff in. In this thread, if you can't answer something based on show info (and the HBO companion materials, I guess), then the answer is "We don't know". If someone asks about the books, ignore them, PM them, or point them to another thread.

Honestly one of the reasons I'm reading the books (among many, such as "reading books is fun!") is so that this thread no longer poses a threat.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
All men must be spoiled.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
it's pretty much the same as the "no talking about poo poo that was in the next week episode preview" that rule that absolutely no one on TVIV ever follows and is never enforced.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Jon Snow is the final Cylon.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

All men must be spoiled.

Spoilers are coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Really if you go on the internet at all chances are you're going to be spoiled, usually in some place that has nothing to do with what you're getting spoiled with too.

Like I found out Snape kills Dumbledore from a random signature on the WoW forum. I found out Ned loses his head from a random troll on Reddit who was replying to a topic about a cat fighting a turtle. I found out the ending of Breaking Bad from a random image on imgur.

• Locked thread