Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Also,

June is No Page Sniping Month. Don't loving do it. It's dumb.

beanieson fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Didn't u get raped by some plumber

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
I know an officer that has a sweet barcode tattoo on his leg from the year 2000. Way to fight "the man", join the coppers.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Phone posting double post.

Applying for positions is some bullshit. It's easier to get in than fill out these dumb formatted resumes.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Beanieson, you should cut his loving arm off. Before you become a copper over here you have to send pictures of all your tattoos in with your application, even the one that says "caution, 2 way traffic" above our arse, and then some crusty old sergeant decides if they are tasteful. That Hatchetman would have had his application form returned with a giant red NO and an envelope smeared in poo poo.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

He's a security guard, not exactly the highest standards.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
That's quite some uniform for a security guard. If I was a tourist I would have thought that guy was a police officer. What's that badge for then? Do you have to swear in or be a member of some professional guild or something?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

That's quite some uniform for a security guard. If I was a tourist I would have thought that guy was a police officer. What's that badge for then? Do you have to swear in or be a member of some professional guild or something?

They get them to look important and confuse The Youth.

Here, have a story about an area horse bear.

quote:

WAUSAU, Wis. (WSAU) -- Wausau Police and Marathon County Sheriff's deputies got a visit from a bear early Saturday morning.

The black bear spent the morning ambling around the east side of Wausau, stopping at the police and fire department before ending up in the basement employee parking lot at the Courthouse.

Sheriff's lieutenant Bill Millhausen says they contacted the DNR and called out the county animal control officers. Deputies had recently been trained on handling large animals, and were able to subdue the bear without any danger using a tranquilizer gun. The bear was then transported to a county park. "The bear was very docile, it was not aggressive to anybody. This time of year, they're coming out of hibernation, looking for food."

Millhausen says the county has not encountered this particular bear before, but does say the public was not in any danger. "He didn't do any destruction of property, simply came into town, meandered through, and actually ended up in a very safe location for us to affect the capture and moving of the bear."

Sadly I do not have a picture of the bear :smith:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Phuzzy posted:

Sadly I do not have a picture of the bear :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBiboVzi2VI

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Totes random question, but as a generic civilian from the UK who's traveling to San Francisco for 3 weeks who has been spooked into fearing the police in the US by GBS, what's the common cop interaction etiquette that I need to be aware of? I presume y'all are just normal dudes doing your jobs, and I should just cooperate if I get pulled over or whatever. It'd just be nice to have some assurance from actual officers and not the neck beard echo chamber.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Your chances of having to interact with a police officer in your 3 weeks here are pretty low. Just be a normal respectful person and you'll be fine. Also stop reading GBS.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

stop reading GBS.
Mods please sticky.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Rest assured that every ridiculous notion GBS spits out about the US is going to be completely wrong, especially when applying it to San Francisco

Well except that things will be expensive, San Fran is kind of pricy

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

awesome-express posted:

Totes random question, but as a generic civilian from the UK who's traveling to San Francisco for 3 weeks who has been spooked into fearing the police in the US by GBS, what's the common cop interaction etiquette that I need to be aware of? I presume y'all are just normal dudes doing your jobs, and I should just cooperate if I get pulled over or whatever. It'd just be nice to have some assurance from actual officers and not the neck beard echo chamber.

uh im gonna go against the grain here and tell you to exercise your rights loud and proud in front of all cops and tell them they're dumb bastard pigs (especially whip)

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
trick question, you aren't american so you don't have any rights. Hope you like jail food, lobsterback!

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

awesome-express posted:

No one has even asked your skin colour yet which I feel is important and drastically affects your answer

which affect do i use here affect or effect thx

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
He said 'generic civilian from the UK' but he uses proper English and isn't on probation that forbids travel, so I just assumed East Indian

And since it's San Fran everyone will just assume he's a techie from the Valley

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Branis posted:

trick question, you aren't american so you don't have any rights. Hope you like jail food a free [indefinite] vacation to Cuba, lobsterback!

SrgMagnum
Nov 12, 2007
Got old money, could buy a dinosaur

Snowdens Secret posted:

He said 'generic civilian from the UK' but he uses proper English and isn't on probation that forbids travel, so I just assumed East Indian

And since it's San Fran everyone will just assume he's a techie from the Valley

I think because I"m from the area I'm supposed to get unreasonably mad at this. I'm slightly ashamed to admit I actually got annoyed.

Cops in SF aren't going to go out of their way to make friends but if you have to interact with them they're mostly a great group of folks who do a tough job in one of those insanely political cities.

Give them basic respect due any other person and keep your hands out of your pockets and all that jazz. You shouldn't have any issues whatsoever.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
do sf cops have to wear booty shorts?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

do sf cops have to wear booty shorts?

I think you mean they get to wear booty shorts.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Thanks trooper for not giving me a ticket today. ~thin blue line~

10 over

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Untagged posted:

Thanks trooper for not giving me a ticket today. ~thin blue line~

10 over

No such thing as a good cop because even the good cops defend their corrupt coworkers.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
The only good cop is a dead cop, IMO.

Bernard McFacknutah fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 2, 2014

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

awesome-express posted:

Cop interactions in Frisco are the same as anywhere else Stateside:

Run.

Run hard, run fast, run like the wind.

Po-leece are healthy young animals and enjoy a brisk workout, they'll thank you profusely for the aerobic activity.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Cop interactions in Frisco are the same as anywhere else Stateside:

Run.

Run hard, run fast, run like the wind.

Po-leece are healthy young animals and enjoy a brisk workout, they'll thank you profusely for the aerobic activity.

lol american cops don't run, that's what the gun is for

http://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/2013/01/30/i-quit/

I thought this was an interesting read

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Branis posted:

lol american cops don't run, that's what the gun is for

http://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/2013/01/30/i-quit/

I thought this was an interesting read

Oh hey I know that guy :buddy:

douche

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
Oddly enough, I have a family friend that is working in Lafourche parish as a deputy.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

beanieson posted:

Oh hey I know that guy :buddy:

douche

I thought he made some good points, but he's saying what no one wants to hear.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Yea, I don't disagree with his article.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I had several really lovely people who trained me who were big on the hazing and not as big on the learning and it affected how I felt about the whole department and my job in it. I always promised myself that if I had to train someone I was gonna do it positively and try to be as open and friendly as possible. I can see how that type of culture can drive people to quit and also affect how we see our duty to the public.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I didn't read most of that, but anytime someone uses the term 'a calling to serve' when not talking about becoming a priest or something, it sounds creepy

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
If it makes you feel better its mostly empty platitudes. That dude has beat a minority half to death and planted a bag of weed on him guaranteed.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Branis posted:

If it makes you feel better its mostly empty platitudes. That dude has beat a minority half to death and planted a bag of weed on him guaranteed.

Well, yeah, I mean he's from Louisiana so...

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

I didn't read most of that, but anytime someone uses the term 'a calling to serve' when not talking about becoming a priest or something, it sounds creepy

How so? As cheesy as it sounds, that's pretty much what drew me to doing this job. I left LE for a short time after having a terrible experience at my first department (re: hazing and other bullshit as mentioned in the article), and was bored to tears working in IT and not feeling like I was "making a difference" or that my job had any purpose at all.

If it's not because you have some weird duty to serve, then why do this job? It's certainly not for the great pay, the great hours, the great shifts, the great attitude from the public, the great bosses and administrators, etc. I guess if you like guns and beating minorities that works too, but those people hopefully end up getting fired - or they end up making up the entirety of the police department and then you end up with experiences like Branis had.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I guess if you like guns and beating minorities that works too

Please stop talking about my reasons for joining ty

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Worst hazing I ever got was OC sprayed into my coffee while I stepped out of the office. One officer smashed up a pepper ball in a ziplock bag and would trick people into taking a big whiff.

That was about it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Is that hazing though? That's the kind of pranks that we used to see pretty often before every little thing became bullying, and bullying leads to suicide and mass shootings, not mental health problems.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

beanieson posted:

Is that hazing though? That's the kind of pranks that we used to see pretty often before every little thing became bullying, and bullying leads to suicide and mass shootings, not mental health problems.

Everything is hazing. Or sexual harassment. Or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
A dog took a run at me today. I didn't shoot it. What's wrong with me?

I'm the worst gooncop. :smith:

• Locked thread