Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

Don't worry, I'll get to him soon.

If you don't mind, I could post a little background information about Dagestan when I have time later on today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Yeah, it's not like Vitor ever wasn't on a shitload of steroids. He's just training and fighting smarter now, and also doing a shitload of steroids.

This got discussed into the ground a zillion times, but Vitor's late career renaissance was inseparable from his doping regimen because it allowed him to train intensively all the time without having to stop to recover. Or maybe it's mere coincidence that he suddenly made huge leaps in technique at the exact same time that he apparently started doing enough PEDs for a whole stable of racehorses.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

He started doing enough PEDs for a whole stable of racehorses at 16 or so. I'm sure his regimen changed when his training changed, but it isn't like him being on steroids is new in any way.

Saying that Vitor has always been on steroids so it couldn't have made a difference in his recent success is dumb, because there's a lot of different ways for an athlete to dope. Guy's been doing steroids since he was a teenager and now he's more fit than he's ever been at any time in his entire life, at the age of 37, after 20+ years of blasting his endocrine system to poo poo, and you're saying it's not new "in any way." How about the hematocrit pop that he blacked out in that picture? Was he blood doping when he was 16? He's always done steroids but at some point in the last few years he got serious, hooked up with experts, and went full-on Frankenstein with his doping.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

After that we'll know how much more hosed Vitor would be in a fight with Chris, should that ever happen.

At this point I'm not sure it makes sense to let Vitor get within shouting distance of a belt. For the past several years the UFC has been working very hard to build up MMA as a reputable sport, and the PED scandals in other sports indicate that giving profile to an obvious steroid monster is bad for their credibility. I mean, what do you do if he somehow beats Weidman and he's your new middleweight champ?

CommonShore posted:

Yeah I didn't mean to suggest that Rashad wasn't better or anything. I just was amazed at how much Rashad was able to toss Chael around - Chael usually has a certain tenacity that just wasn't there.

Rashad is at least as good at wrestling as Chael* and much larger and stronger. The same for Jones. Psychology may have played a role in that Chael knows that he's really good at wrestling but merely decent at everything else, so if he's not winning the wrestling he's probably doomed and might give up mentally. Rashad and Jones both controlled and ultimately ragdolled him without difficulty, so maybe he did give over.

*[I guess I should say more specifically that Chael's power double owns and he might be the best at that. He's at least the best I can think of offhand.]

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

obeyasia posted:

What exactly kept Vitor from finishing Jones with that arm bar? Was Jones strong enough to keep Vitor from breaking his arm?

Edit:
My recollection was way off. Looks like the position allowed Jones to slip away.

As I recall Vitor's hips weren't positioned to where he could immediately break the arm, which meant that Jones had enough time to pick Vitor up and stack his body weight on the back of his neck, making it even harder to finish the submission. Then he freed himself. Vitor was able to damage the arm but not badly enough to force a stoppage or even slow Jones down that much.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think there are many fighters that can survive that combo to back mount that Bendo threw to end the match. That poo poo was loving smooth.

It was a great finish but it happened because Benson set it up in a way he wouldn't be able to do with Diego. Bendo consistently moved forward on the feet and pressed Khabilov back into the fence, and when Rustam countered with takedowns he scrambled back to his feet immediately without taking damage. Bendo could never have landed that combination in the early rounds when Khabilov was exploding off the fence with takedowns, but by the fourth he was too tired and too slow to avoid it.

Meanwhile, Diego is a fighter whose defining characteristics are that he always moves forward and never gets tired. If they fought Benson would win an easy 50-45 by comprehensively outstriking him and scoring with takedowns and time on top. But I don't think he would be able to create an opportunity like the one he used to stop Rustam, simply because of how Diego fights, nor do I think he's good enough with counter-striking to really hurt Diego that way when a lot of guys with better hands have tried and failed to do that.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Fozzy The Bear posted:

OMG! Dana just said that if Anderson Silva wants to fight Nick Diaz, and Nick wants to fight Anderson, he will try to make the fight happen in a few months, when Anderson is fully healed!!!!!! But for now, he isn't doing anything, because Andy isn't 100%

I've been wondering if GSP actually hooked Nick Diaz up with his wealth manager or whatever and now he's just enjoying passive income (maybe as a thank-you for turbo-boosing the UFC 158 payday), and that's the reason he's spent all his time chilling out in clubs and disdains any fight that promises less than seven figures. This is a stupid fight he has no hope of winning, but it'll make a lot of money for everybody involved.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

-Atom- posted:

this gets mentioned a lot as a knock on Kogan, but Nate received a lucrative signing bonus in lieu of show/win money

which made Nate/Kogan trying to get Gilbear money after his current record and previous contract stipulations really weird

Stupid, but not necessarily weird. If Nate Diaz got moved from a contract where he got 6 or 7 respectable paydays stretched out over two years, onto a contract where he got one huge payday plus six or seven piddling checks for the remainder of the two years, how much do you want to bet that he blew the signing bonus on stupid poo poo right away? He might have "planned ahead" to the extent of thinking that he could count on $50,000 performance bonuses in every other fight anyway, which would make up for the small money. Nate's had 12 bonuses over the course of 19 UFC fights, so it wouldn't even be that crazy to expect it. But if he did waste that money he had a pretty lean year or so considering he went from May 2012 to November 2013 with no bonuses and poo poo pay per fight--not even win bonuses since Bendo and Thomson both beat him down.

I would still consider this a knock on Kogan, and a good reason for him to call himself a lovely manager, because part of his job would be recognizing that some fighters can't handle a "huge pile of money up-front" deal. poo poo, imagine what Cerrone would be doing if he was on a contract like that. Probably trying to strip his totaled-out Maserati for parts so he could afford to eat.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Decades posted:

I completely forget Casey's terrible UFC run (particularly how he or anyone else could lose a fight to Bubba McDaniel)

It was actually kind of a classic demonstration of why Bubba is a piece of poo poo. Casey had a lot of trouble with weight cuts throughout the season, and apparently it's been an issue for him his whole career. Anyway, going into the fight with Bubba he wasn't doing great but he still grappled the piss out of him in R1. Then in R2 his body stopped working, so he lost that one, making it a two-round draw. Casey had to forfeit on account of he was in full-blown kidney failure and could not answer the bell for the sudden victory round, and in fact he had to be carried out on a stretcher.

The important thing you should take away from this is Bubba McDaniel is such a bad fighter that he lost a round to a dying man, and is such a shameless turd that he earnestly celebrated winning the fight that way.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Rampage's boxing game was always limited, but he was notably good at rolling and catching punches on his arms and then countering with hooks, which is how he KOed both Chuck and Wanderlei. Really if you had to pick one thing he was actually good at in his career, it would be blocking and hooking. Part of the reason Machida-Rampage sucked was both fighters were reliant on defensive countering strategies and both were afraid to initiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bundt Cake posted:

if i had to pick one thing it would be wrestling. he only learned how to do that stuff after he trained with juanito and he was already a star before that

That's reasonable. I was mostly thinking about the latter part of his career after he came to the UFC. Rampage had this kind of weird thing where after he learned how to box a little bit he basically quit wrestling people, but after changing styles almost totally he still did pretty well until he quit giving a poo poo.

• Locked thread