Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

for the love of god can jon jones sign with mike kogan if he hasn't already

That's actually kind of an interesting point, because nominally Jones' manager is Malki Kawa, but on Embedded the negotiations were being handled by a different dude whose name I don't recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

That's the guy from embedded, but as recently as last month Malki Kawa was still purporting to be his manager -

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/24/5650912/malki-kawa-on-the-jon-jones-business-why-he-wont-wear-nike-at-ufc-172

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

vainman posted:

Yeah, the only articles I see saying Harriman is his manager are using the embedded video as a source. Would a fighter ever have two managers?

I mean, there's nothing preventing it, but paying two people to do the same job seems kind of senseless?

I'd forgotten about the Harriman/Ortiz bail thing though, that's interesting.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Pwny_Xpress posted:

On the podcast today TJ said he is completely confident he could make 125 and would love to one day have a superfight with DJ.

Considering he made 135 three times in six weeks on TUF, I wouldn't doubt it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Always side with labor over capital.

Just kidding Jon Jones sucks.

I actually would have no problem with Jones holding the UFC up for more money, but he's still on a specific contract and is gonna make essentially the same amount for either dude; he's just being bitchy about who gets the honor of fighting him.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

That's the guy from embedded, but as recently as last month Malki Kawa was still purporting to be his manager -

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/24/5650912/malki-kawa-on-the-jon-jones-business-why-he-wont-wear-nike-at-ufc-172

So, on the mma hour yesterday Greg Jackson was still referring to Malki Kawa as Jones' manager. Jones is listed as a client on First Round Management's website, and Harriman wasn't listed as an employee. Makes him acting as an apparent manager on Embedded kind of weird.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Did Jones decide he wants to fight Cormier now like, RIGHT after this story was published, or did he wait a day or two to think about it?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

The weigh ins are going to turn into the fight scene from the Quiet Man.

A title that accurately describes neither fighter involved

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Attn Vegas goons, or anybody that plans to be in town for UFC 175 -

arielhelwani posted:

Note: following the UFC 175 weigh-ins on 7/4, there'll be a live taping of a UFC Tonight special edition show that fans can stick around for

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"[Cormier] isn't relevant to me.... he's not top 5."
-Jon Jones, April 2014

"Daniel Cormier has an LCL and ACL injury after the Hendo fight and may need surgery."
-UFC Tonight, May 2014

"I don't want to fight Alexander Gustafsson, I want to fight Daniel Cormier."
-Jon Jones, June 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

I dont remember that.

After the test happened and Vitor got taken off the card, somebody asked his lawyer what the results of the test were and the response was "Vitor is no longer fighting on the card, and therefore no longer applying for a license in Nevada, so the results of the test are not relevant."

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

well now he's fighting on the card, and applying for a licence, so its relevant. paper's are all in order, see you at the summerslam

Thank you for explaining my explanation of the joke.

hahahhahahahahahah oh my god

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Street Horrrsing posted:

I think it's funny that there were jokes about how hendo vs vitor should be held on a chemical barge in international waters, and then it turned out vitor's trt regime consisted of determining what a lethal dose would be, and scaling it back 5%.

Even the most exaggerated jokes didn't come close to describing what vitor was doing.

Who's responsible on his team? I feel there's more top notch roid technicians that need to be named and shamed over this.

Wasn't there a huge scandal not that long ago about some Florida-based S&C/drug emporium place?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

There was one "high profile" mma fighter in their "database," but I never recall seeing that get revealed. Something on the uncertain fringes of my memory says Carwin...

Carwin's steroid scandal was much further back than that; somebody found records where "S. Carwin" had ordered steroids but it was from before he'd fought MMA at all, let alone in the UFC, so nothing ever came of it.

I found the Biogenesis scandal thing -

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/25/4556890/biogenesis-mixed-martial-artists-boxers-ped-scandal

the dude involved says there are fighters involved, but no names are named.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Haven't seen many Vitor fights so this is the kind of response I was hoping for.

I mean I always back Chael regardless but you know how that usually turns out.

Vitor, juice or no juice, is incredibly dangerous for about a round and a half.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Rashad would most likely do the same thing to Vitor even faster.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

Although, we haven't seen that Vitor in a while, as he looked pretty game against Jones until the submission.

Nope

quote:

Perhaps the "Wilting Vitor" stigma is something of the past?

Nope

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

“Ross was drug tested before the fight, which is perfectly normal,” [Dean Amasinger] told MMAjunkie. “That’s absolutely fine, and all this stuff is supposed to be random. But when Ross came back from the drug test, he said to me, ‘I’ve seen the list; none of the Jackson guys are on the drug test list, or the New Mexican guys who are fighting on the card.’ And so I went and checked and that was the case.

“I made a note to (UFC site coordinator) Burt Watson and I said, ‘I want to let you know that I’m feeling uncomfortable about that.’”

MMAjunkie wasn’t immediately able to verify the participants drug tested at UFC Fight Night 42, which took place at Tingely Coliseum in Albuquerque. A call to the commission wasn’t immediately returned; an open records request is pending.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think there are many fighters that can survive that combo to back mount that Bendo threw to end the match. That poo poo was loving smooth.

:joke:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Diego has never been good at anything. He was best at BJJ but he still wasn't really that great at that. All his success was based on being in such good shape that he could plow into all his opponents at a pace they couldn't match, and now he's gotten old enough that he can't do that anymore.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nibbles141 posted:

Clay did give us that moment in the Maynard fight where Maynard became so frustrated he dropped his hands and let him hit him.

Never go full Diaz.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Better at bjj than kenny, at least. Also i loved when he muscled passed some dudes guard, got to mount and elbowed some dude into submission and joe rogan + diego attributed it to soley training in the gi with xande or saulo or whoever

Technically Kenny was probably better at BJJ than him, but Diego had the cardio and ~explosiveness~ to slam past his guard, and once Kenny was in a lovely position that he didn't expect to be in he basically gave up, as per every other fight where somebody put him in a position he didn't think he could get put into. Also Diego hits really hard in terms of GnP, I think he actually fractured something in Kenny's face.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

as funny as this is it takes no heat off of wanderlei's bumbling public self-immolation whatsoever

Literally all Wandy had to do to come out of this as the winner was not gently caress up before Sonnen did, and he couldn't even manage that.

vainman posted:

Can't wait for Chael to look directly at the camera and tell the world this was all a misunderstanding in a slam poem

Come on and slam, and inject Nurezan

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

coconono posted:

is there anything preventing UFC from having an unsanctioned fight on a PPV or whatever?

They do it every time they run a show in a country without a sanctioning body, but thus far they've been very careful to observe the appearance of propriety by never running a show featuring anyone currently unlicensed or suspended by a sanctioning body.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

vainman posted:

Well sure but he popped for Clomiphene, which is explicitly banned both in and out of competition, and he doesn't have an exemption. It's pretty clear cut.

Reminder that James Toney tested positive for steroids while still under suspension for testing positive for steroids the first time, and still got his suspension reduced under the rationale of "He's been fighting a long time, and, uh, LOOK OVER THERE"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Street Horrrsing posted:

I can't believe Dana is trying to carry the water for chael at all. It's a terrible decision with no upside.

Lorenzo and Dana are actually pretty bad capitalists because they've demonstrated multiple times over the years that they care a shitload more about loyalty than they do about profits, and Chael is tremendously loyal to Zuffa

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

why is pat cummins getting so many fights

fatherdog posted:

Lorenzo and Dana are actually pretty bad capitalists because they've demonstrated multiple times over the years that they care a shitload more about loyalty than they do about profits

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
It's a very fortunate accident of history that mma doesn't suck even worse than boxing because the major promotion is owned by really eccentric billionaires instead of a block of shareholders.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't really have an opinion on High yet, but protesting and pushing the ref in response to getting stopped after a knockdown and taking 14 (?) unanswered shots while doing fuckall seems to indicate other-than-nice qualities. Heat of the moment and all, yeah, but more dickish fighters have managed to act less dickish after unfairly-perceived stoppages.

As a general rule, you should probably give people a pass on what they do while they have a concussion.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Reminder that Frank Mir named his kids Kage and Ronin.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Mir's going to try to get a post-TRT run in or just quietly retire.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Count Roland posted:

Did I miss anything else?

There's some news about Wanderlei and Chael you may want to read up on.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I hope Rin escapes to the US so she's no longer a literal sex slave

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

I don't know why anybody likes Rin Nakai because she's bad at fighting and has a busted-rear end face.

Nobody likes Rin Nakai as a fighter, we're just generally sympathetic to someone who's been forced into chattel slavery

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Count Roland posted:

Has Arlovski been featured in any Embedded episodes?

He was there joking around with MM a little bit on episode 3 or 4 of this one, but other than that I don't think so.

If you're looking for more Arlovski footage I believe mmafighting recently did a video interview with some footage from his training camp.

EDIT: found it - http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/12/5801020/andrei-arlovski-training-camp-journal

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

One of the best parts of these videos is Burt Watson when they show him trying to corral the fighters and keep them in the right places at the right times. How can these fighters not be in a good mood while being around him? He's hilarious. Also always yelling.

Edit: They need to give him his own hour long documentary just showing the poo poo he's encountered while dealing with the fighters.

If Watson ever writes a book I'm pre-ordering it as soon as it's available.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Arlovski comes across as friendly and personable in the brief time he was on Embedded and in most of his interviews, and Schaub is a huge dink, so I'm rooting for Arlovski, but he's kind of in the Pat Barry category where I root for him to win but wish he'd stop.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Also, how can we forget "How taste my big peepee"?

Honestly that entire deal was pretty weird. "I'm dating your ex" really shouldn't be a "lol burn" situation for either side.

EDIT:

Count Roland posted:

I remember the line, but what is the context? This was a taunt, right?

At one point Sylvia was dating Arlovski's ex, and made fun of him about it,and Arlovski responded with that line. Like I said, pretty weird on both sides.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

i feel like its more of a comment on her hygiene than anything

Well I mean that's still not something I'd be using as a burn. "I'm dating your ex!" "Haha, I dated a real filthy skank!" that's not really a good thing for either side

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
A lot of dudes outside the UFC have arguments like "Sure nobody I've beat in my three fight streak has had a winning record, but I still beat them!" which is terrible, but at least they have an argument. Tim's argument is "I haven't won since 2012, but I could probably make 265 now!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Zuffa prizes loyalty above just about any other quality, so Hughes is never, ever, eeeeeeeeeeeever going to be fired. He'll have a job with the company until his wife hits him with a shovel and puts him under the sod, and even then he'll still probably be drawing paychecks for a while.

• Locked thread