Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I know you love to bitch about your teams not spending enough money, but he's an almost 30 year old who has never been a significantly above average starter. He's going to decline, and likely soon. If they can get something out of him now they should, and if not they shouldn't be in any rush to sign him to a long deal. You don't want to pay for player's decline phase, even in a big market. The reason they're trying to trade him now is because his value is likely never going to be higher than it is at the moment, since he's pitching way way above his actual skill level.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Singleton is going to be called up tomorrow apparently

That's cool that he finally worked out all those things he needed to work out.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Can we seriously not have a big long arguement about how offensive "throws like a girl" is or is not because holy hell is that ever not going to be any fun to read.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oh it's lame new robocop? gently caress that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gleep gloop posted:

Padres drafted Johnny Football so I'm pretty sure these last few rounds aren't 100% necessary.

I wish he actually played baseball, he'd give Brian McCann a coronary.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I was so excited for Cahill as a prospect.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He got so many strikeouts and groundouts in the minors!

:( And Brett Anderson. Never get excited about good young Oakland pitchers, they will always break. And then get traded for other good pitchers, but still. Sonny Gray's elbow is on watch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crion posted:

There are very good reasons not to super-rush young prospects to the MLB rosters of non-contending teams because of a hot first half at the plate. See the current quality of defense the Cubs enjoy everyday at shortstop for more

They could probably at least give him a shot at AAA.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Cespedes owns really hard aside from the whole never taking a pitch thing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Cards should wear those all the time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Imagine how annoying the Cards would be if they did the BEST FANS thing AND wore American flag jerseys. They could start calling themselves America's team and everything, and I can tell you from experience that is way fun thing to do. It would be awesome. Just do it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I went to this game and as soon as he rounded first and Cespedes let the ball get by him I told my friend "Yoenis is going to get him at third" AND THEN IT HAPPENED

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 12, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crion posted:

Between Cespedes and Puig we're getting an absolute clinic this year on why arm is a separate tool not lumped in with the rest of a player's defensive package. Good god these "great plays"

Pretty sure the point is to get outs, nerd. Can't do that cleanly fielding a grounder in the outfield.

FairGame posted:

Is Cespedes a lovely outfielder or not? Both of the highlights I've seen show a ridiculous arm that he wouldn't have needed to use had he not flubbed the ball in the first place.

These have both involved him misplaying the ball (although really this most recent one was more than it took a weird bounce off the wall), but he is generally a pretty good outfielder. He can take goofy routes but he's a freak athlete and that usually makes up for it. He would probably be playing center on a lot of teams.

Derek Agony posted:

From what I've seen he's fairly limited in most aspects of the outfield. It just so happens that he's used his one superb defensive tool to good effect on 2 consecutive nights - no-one is making gifs of the times he's misplayed a ball and allowed a runner to score or take an extra base.

He's really fast too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Midniter posted:

If Pujols had actually gotten low and slid into third rather than just awkwardly falling over toward the end of the basepath, he very well might have been safe. Also it is hilarious watching him run.

It also required Donaldson making a pretty athletic play to tag him, but shush and just enjoy the rocket arm, you killjoy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rand alPaul posted:

Meanwhile, Oscar Taveras...

Has played like 10 games, christ.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The A's are such a weird loving team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ChampRamp posted:

No, no. The pick still looks real dumb. He's a college power bat in A ball. What did you expect to happen? If he didn't rake in A ball he would be a massive bust. He's still bad and has no position to play.

Pretty sure Deathlove knows that and is joking, man.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Cubs prospect crazy is definitely getting up there with peak levels of Red Sox prospect crazy

Andrew Sharp brought this up in reference to LeBron, but I really think twitter and all that makes this seem way worse than it actually is. It's so easy now to find a handful of crazy people who are like "BAEZ IS THE NEXT CLEMENTE!!!" or whatever and then just be like welp, all Cubs fans are huge morons who overrate all their prospects (they are actually huge morons, just for different reasons).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
How much extra money do you think James Shields has made just because his name rhymes with "game"? It's in the millions, right? If he went by Jim people would look at him way differently.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

bawfuls posted:

I was at the first ~5 innings of the Martinez game but I got really sick and he had to take me home (I was 10). Dad drove back to the game to catch the final several innings himself.

do you literally live inside dodger stadium because otherwise this is not possible and your dad is a liar

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

bawfuls posted:

I don't remember because I was 10 and miserably sick. Maybe he took me home after like the 2nd, I dunno. But my understanding is he took me home and made it back for at least the final two innings.

We lived ~20 minutes away, it was a weekday in 1995 so attendance wasn't great, and the Dodgers scored 7 runs between the 3rd and the 6th.

Was you family car a helicopter? It takes like 17 hours just to get from the freeway to the parking lot there is no way. Lies. This is like all those people who say they saw Wilt score 100 points even though the game was played in front of 12 people in Hersey, PA.

But who knows maybe there was no traffic on a weekday night in LA. Also maybe he rode a unicorn.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 20, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mornacale posted:

bawfuls, can you get on Google Maps to show us a satellite view of your former home and chart out the route to and from Dodger Stadium so that we can judge your dad?

Man, I'm just making jokes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

Honestly, because of his very abrupt career, it's overshadowing his perfecto. Like 50 years from now, no one will remember it but man, his personality really overshadows his achievements.

His legacy should be his grandma wanting to kick arod's rear end

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Actual song sequence from angels fireworks show: mc hammer --> vanilla ice --> will smith.

also gently caress them I wanted to see a perfect game in person :(

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Baseball has it's own Ricky Stanzi!

For real how had y'all not stolen the America's Team thing yet? It would work so well with Budweiser and The Best Fans In Baseball. Cubs fans would be so mad. Do it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

He looked like dogshit at the game I went to on Friday. I assume people are freaking out because he is 1-12 with 7 K's at Iowa? I would say that he might just be depressed that he has to spend so much time in Iowa, but he came up from eastern Tennessee, so...

The high life is like, right across the street though. All I-cubs should live in campers right next to the stadium and offer beer to minors like Rod Beck.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spoeank posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: TIM LINCECUM FIXES THE FORUMS :siren: :siren: :siren:

If they'd be up earlier or I had known they were up I would have tried to jinx that poo poo so hard. I don't know if that works when the other team is the Padres though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I'm so mad this happened after I moved.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
As an A's fan I find Ernesto Frieri extremely entertaining.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Born Approx. posted:

I can't pull up the replay online, but it seemed like he was blocking the plate before he had the ball, which is what the new rule is about. But maybe I'm remembering it wrong now.

I was at the game, he had the ball before he starting sliding.

It also didn't matter. Good lord, Cardinals.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeepDickPizza posted:

People hate Bryce Harper because the national media won't shut the gently caress up about him. He's the MLB version of Tebow or LeBron. He gets more coverage than Trout or Miggy.

This hasn't been true since he was 17. Also there seems to be an implication here that LeBron somehow has not earned having people praise him or talk about him a lot which, what?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

network.guy posted:

So many Cardinals errors yesterday, were they paid to throw the game?

Daniel Descalso is not a shortstop

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeepDickPizza posted:

Most Americans watch way more ESPN than SAS posters do. I'm just trying to explain their mindset. Yeesh.

Yeah and coincidentally most of them have really awful and stupid sports opinions.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They also overacheived last year offensively because of the crazy RISP thing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He can be the new Kolten Wong. Maybe they can teach Descalso to play outfield too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ryan Sweeney owns.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mornacale posted:

If anyone is interested, I went through and compiled as many of the specific deals from the Astros leak as I could, to hopefully make it easier to get a handle on where different front offices value players.

This is awesome, thank you

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Yikes, the smug is strong in this one.

I don't know all the links, sorry for putting you out.

I've got it bookmarked now. I'll be sure to research henceforth so as not to compel you to respond with an exhausting level of eyeroll.

He was responding to your post and not being smug in the slightest; don't be such a loving baby.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Springer is also a really good athlete so he can provide value beyond his hitting, which isn't true for the other guys y'all are comparing him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Intruder posted:

Isn't Stanton a pretty elite fielder?

Stanton is fine, I meant the people comparing him to Mark Reynolds and poo poo like that.

tadashi posted:

Whoever originally suggested 3B Rendon SS Desmond 2B Zimmerman etc was probably right. Rendon has some history with ankle issues and Zimmerman has shoulder issues. If they'd started working with Zimmerman at 2B over the off-season, it might have worked but I guess you can't just do that with one of your "franchise" players.

That's what they should have done from the very start but for whatever reason didn't.

• Locked thread