Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

These unis are tacky as hell except for Redbird God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lorini posted:

I can't find the newbie MLB thread anymore, so how should this have been scored?

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/63817564/v33497591/ladcol-rockies-challenge-in-7th-call-overturned

It was scored three different ways during the game. A double with a put out. A single with a put out. Now it's a "M Kemp singled to deep center, M Kemp out stretching at second." which is different than it was at the end of the game.

So what SHOULD the scoring have been? Note that the challenge was at second, not at first, but the first out is at first because of the Lopes touch.

Also V: The SNLA folks (the guys who call the game for the Dodgers) had no clue of what happened at first base. Kudos to the Rockies broadcasting team for picking it up.

Looks like they ignored the touch by Lopes at first on the review, and called him out on the hop off the bag at second.

I'd have to look over the scoring rules, but I think you only get the base when you're on it safely and time has been called, otherwise it's only the last one safely touched. Since he was out in the process of getting to the base, he only gets credit for the single.

This is one that touches on numerous fine distinctions in the rules, so I'm not at all surprised it got changed a couple times. They probably had to get out the scoring guidelines and read them carefully to figure it out. It's not a routine sort of play.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Harlock posted:

What is this?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Memphis Redbirds.

It's a pun on Memphis, Egypt.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Those are hilarious and kind of own.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Harlock posted:

If you're going to go with tacky rear end minor league uniforms, better this than some stupid Star Wars or superhero thing

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Harlock posted:

All Hail the Redbird God

got a little mitt on his hand. that thing rules

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Do the hieroglyphics spell out Memphis it's been like 15 years since I hosed with that poo poo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rays DFAed Known Rapist Josh Lueke

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rays DFAed Known Rapist Josh Lueke

About loving time.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
The Rays just increased their likability by 10000%.

(Go O's, anyway.)

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

We hope anyone sees you again...

rscott posted:

Do the hieroglyphics spell out Memphis it's been like 15 years since I hosed with that poo poo

It does in fact say Mn nfr, the actual name of Memphis. The little lute is the ideogram for "nfr" which means beauty (if I remember correctly, the other two glyphs are part of the pronunciation, but I haven't touched hieroplyphs in a long rear end time either).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Deteriorata posted:

Looks like they ignored the touch by Lopes at first on the review, and called him out on the hop off the bag at second.

I'd have to look over the scoring rules, but I think you only get the base when you're on it safely and time has been called, otherwise it's only the last one safely touched. Since he was out in the process of getting to the base, he only gets credit for the single.

This is one that touches on numerous fine distinctions in the rules, so I'm not at all surprised it got changed a couple times. They probably had to get out the scoring guidelines and read them carefully to figure it out. It's not a routine sort of play.

Thanks! Boy if it wasn't for replay, Rockies fans would have been livid. Dude was out twice but still called safe!

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
The most incredible part of that play was that Matt kemp still wasn't running hard even after it was clear the ball wasn't going out. I don't get that from a guy who injured his ankle by not running hard last season.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Kendrys Morales signs with...the Twins????

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wait

zakharov posted:

Kendrys Morales signs with...the Twins????

WHAT?

quote:

‏@JonHeymanCBS

Kendrys Morales reached agreement with the #Twins

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Now they might win 75 games!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mks5000 posted:

Now they might win 75 games!

I think Morales is worth more than -2 wins, though.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Basically the only position Minnesota doesn't need to fill is 1B/DH so, okay then.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bob Shabazz posted:

Basically the only position Minnesota doesn't need to fill is 1B/DH so, okay then.

Not accurate, our DH has been terrible after Colabello came back to earth (and AAA).

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

zakharov posted:

Alex Avila got concussed again on a backswing.

:rip:

How does one guy get beat up this much? Is there something wrong with his defensive technique?

It is uncanny. They've tried moving him around multiple times and also given him different helmets.

It's like he's cursed. He got hit twice yesterday with a bat.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

IcePhoenix posted:

Not accurate, our DH has been terrible after Colabello came back to earth (and AAA).

It seems like a waste of Josmil Pinto to reduce him to backup catcher, especially since he can't catch.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bob Shabazz posted:

It seems like a waste of Josmil Pinto to reduce him to backup catcher, especially since he can't catch.

It's a waste to keep pitching Kevin Correia too but I'm evaluating it from a "what they actually do" standpoint, not "what everyone thinks they should do."

Rosenthal says that it's a one year deal with money similar to Drew.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Are you loving kidding me.

The Twins.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Okay cool, we signed a guy that doesn't play a position of need to play only for a year that we're clearly not a contender.

Cool troll, Terry.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
E: Wrong thread

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think we can safely say we didn't see that coming.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Can he be used in a deadline trade? That's the only way this possibly makes sense.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

All I can definitively say is that if they try to spin this as trying to be competitive and Correia makes another start then they're full of it.

Juan Berenguer
Feb 21, 2006
Who wants to bet that the narrative becomes "Is Mauer broken"?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Can he be used in a deadline trade? That's the only way this possibly makes sense.
I don't see why not. They just wouldn't get a draft pick.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FlamingLiberal posted:

They can't get a draft pick anyway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know normally you can't trade a newly signed free agent until mid June, so I have no idea if there are rules in place for a free agent who signs during the season.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
N: Brewers supposedly have signed Monte Harrison (50th draft pick)

V: Suck it Nebraska.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I hope this means that the Twins fancy themselves contenders and feel like they have to have Jon Jay :mrapig:

Boon posted:

N: Brewers supposedly have signed Monte Harrison (50th draft pick)

V: Suck it Nebraska.

That's pretty expected.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
There are rumblings that Gerrit Cole is about to hit the DL with "shoulder fatigue". He'd be replaced by Jeff Locke. This would very likely end the Pirates' season, and could pretty much close their window of contention before it opens if it's anything serious.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Padres drafted Johnny Football so I'm pretty sure these last few rounds aren't 100% necessary.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

gleep gloop posted:

Padres drafted Johnny Football so I'm pretty sure these last few rounds aren't 100% necessary.

And the yankees drafted Mariano Rivera Jr. :unsmith:

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Teams drafting the talentless sons of their former greats in the late rounds is really nothing new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bluh posted:

Teams drafting the talentless sons of their former greats in the late rounds is really nothing new
Trevor Gretzky being a particularly funny one

• Locked thread