Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So has anything interesting happened since I last read the thread on June 25?

lots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So has anything interesting happened since I last read the thread on June 25?

Ewone came back. He's taking donations to leave again.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Darkpriest667 posted:

You beat me to it. For everything that Derek Smart ISN'T what he is, unlike Chris Roberts, is someone that actually coded the exact type of game everyone is talking about in Star Citizen; without major marketing, without crowdfunding, and it actually got made. It was a buggy mess, but I actually LIKED Battlecruiser and especially 3000 was fun.

Good news, it's a free download, so people can easily compare noted space game Battlecruiser 3000AD and make their own mind up. Personally I think it's a stretch to compare it to anything contemporaneous, but everyone can make their own mind up;

http://www.3000ad.com/download/

Meanwhile, he's working on a tactical MMO. It's not going so well.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266620/ - 79% haters, and only 20% right thinking individuals.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Iridium posted:

my prediction is that the buyout announcement will come before the end of January

probably EA. possibly Microsoft.

You are thinking small little man.

Amazon, Valve, Facebook.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

His PF, if current, isn't really that impressive though.
http://andyjmatthews.daportfolio.com/

In March 2015 another senior character artist left them, which was Seth Nash
http://www.sethnash.com/

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Would you rather drink bleach or eat shitpuddin?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I got the Founder pack when I first heard about this game, that means I gave Chris Metzen no money and can abandon ship and any time as it sinks in the surf.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

No thanks, I like my autism just fine.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Darkpriest667 posted:

You beat me to it. For everything that Derek Smart ISN'T what he is, unlike Chris Roberts, is someone that actually coded the exact type of game everyone is talking about in Star Citizen; without major marketing, without crowdfunding, and it actually got made. It was a buggy mess, but I actually LIKED Battlecruiser and especially 3000 was fun. Complicated as hell but fun!

You folks keep talking about SUICIDES from this failure. Ok, let's take a step back and do some critical thinking. Suicide is a - not popular form of killing or death and b - not very news worthy for narcissistic zealots. What my money is on is this: Some whale, who is self-important losing his poo poo when this game doesn't get made, walks into the offices at Santa Monica or Austin and starts blowing people away with a M16 or an AK-47. Chris will be wounded or killed and become a martyr. It'll become the cult of Christo Roberts.

I'm glad we have a school teacher posting about his dream mass shootings on the internet

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Darkpriest667 posted:

Ewone came back. He's taking donations to leave again.

Oh hey, this was good post. Was it by accident or intentional ?

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Oh hey, this was good post. Was it by accident or intentional ?

Along the same vein of your parent's decision to procreate. :rimshot:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Furism posted:

You keep reminding the thread that you have a profit-sharing plan with CIG but do you have any say whatsoever in the development progress of the game? A call with His Holiness Roberts 1st to ask what the gently caress is up with the feature creep? Why they are hacking together dozens of modules and subsystems instead of gating those and release them over the years?

No, I have no creative control over the production, as per the contract. That is to say I can talk to him about features and poo poo, give him free ideas, but that holds about as much weight in water as the next regular pledger, and I've come to the conclusion that my ideas for space sim games are just as terrible as the next spergy superfan. That said, CR's probably more willing to give me the time of day than the average pledger based on the rapport we've had from early on up to now. I plan on hopping down to LA later this year to see Ortwin (the business side CEO of CIG) to see what's happening, as I'll get a straighter answer from him in terms of where the money's going than CR. Of course his job is to keep the investors happy too, so there's that. Unlike regular spoors who visit the office, I'll have an actual reason to walk in with a suit. Not that I'll scare CR to his senses with that, as I'm a small piece of a very vast capital lake.

As far as what I can share after that conversation, well I'm still under a NDA as per the contract, but I'll be sure to keep notes when SC explodes/ships. That Wulf guy is just a regular pledger, so he can say any amount of opinion poo poo that'll hype SC, and that makes him excellent quote bait for both sides of the hype train(wreck).

Part of the reason I've retained my investor status is because I haven't crawled down CR's throat and dictated what should be going on. As much as I'd be protective of my money, I'm not being paid to shout and scream about the production of SC. If they hired me on as a producer of some sort, then yes I surely would in the face of stupid poo poo.

Friendly Tumour posted:

How does that work by the way? Are you free to sell your profit share at any point?

I can "sell back" the contract yes, but with no profit. But that'd be more negotiation than straight refund since the product is under production. At this point the money is considered a loss in my books, the value's been made up elsewhere. Perhaps an expensive way to learn how the industry works, but certainly an interesting experience from a different viewpoint.

But yeah watching this drama from safety of just a $60 pledge from here would have been a more prudent decision. Nerds with money, y'know.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
You sound like an insane person.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

TheBuilder posted:

You sound like an insane person.

He's a nerd with dolla bro.

At least he has money unlike the spergs that have been raging in this thread for the past 2 years.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
In an email to PC Invasion this afternoon, a CIG spokesperson confirmed his departure, stating: “Alex left CIG for personal reasons last month.”

quote:

Update: We have received a note from CIG that Global Head of Production Erin Roberts will now be taking over “a lot” of Alex’ duties on the project.

Star Citizen May Become A Complete Disaster, Says Industry Veteran

quote:

Some backers prefer to remain optimistic, instead considering the possibility that the bulk of the work may be done. Looking back on Star Citizen’s output record, though, that may not be the case.

Cloud Imperium Games opens new Frankfurt office for further Star Citizen development

quote:

Cloud Imperium Games, the developer of Chris Roberts’ Star Citizen, has opened up a new studio in Frankfurt, Germany. Housing a 21-person team, the office will be base for engineers, artists, and designers working with CryEngine to build Star Citizen’s FPS sections and Squadron 42 campaign.
The team will hopefully grow to around 50 members by the end of the year.

AP fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 6, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Star Citizen development plan: heap more poo poo on Erin Roberts

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Darkpriest667 posted:

You folks keep talking about SUICIDES from this failure. Ok, let's take a step back and do some critical thinking. Suicide is a - not popular form of killing or death and b - not very news worthy for narcissistic zealots. What my money is on is this: Some whale, who is self-important losing his poo poo when this game doesn't get made, walks into the offices at Santa Monica or Austin and starts blowing people away with a M16 or an AK-47. Chris will be wounded or killed and become a martyr. It'll become the cult of Christo Roberts.

Does writing cringy bullshit just come naturally for you? Thanks for sharing your domestic terrorism fantasies. Check yourself.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Bootcha posted:

I'm not being paid

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

CashEnsign posted:

Along the same vein of your parent's decision to procreate. :rimshot:

:chloe: :flaccid:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Skoll posted:

To be fair, his games released. They were just complete wrecks. That's still more than we can say for Star Citizen.

And they put this advert into games mags to sell it

Pre-internet this was gold :flashfap:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iridium posted:

my prediction is that the buyout announcement will come before the end of January

probably EA. possibly Microsoft.

EA would be the best thing just because Roberts spent months upon months begging them for the Wing Commander license but got nowhere because he wanted the money with no oversight.

Rastor posted:

Makes sense, since of the two Roberts brothers throughout their respective careers, Erin is the only one with a track record of getting poo poo done. WC1 would never have been released if it weren't for guys like Warren Spector keeping the project on track and Steve Beeman actually writing the code; Chris Roberts' name is on WC2 but he had almost nothing to do with it because he was busy trying to make Strike Commander (so Steve Beeman ran WC2, and eventually Erin had to help out with finishing Strike Commander because it had gone completely off the rails and wound up being released like two or three years late) and with WC3/4 it was patently obvious that he was more interested in making movies. Privateer 1 was completely driven by Erin Roberts with little to no involvement from Chris (and of course Privateer 2 was all Erin), and Freelancer suffered from such massive scope creep that CR ran out of money and was effectively pushed out of Digital Anvil after the Microsoft purchase.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Berious posted:

And they put this advert into games mags to sell it

Pre-internet this was gold :flashfap:

I doubt that she's a real gamer. That stool doesn't provide adequate lumbar support.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Rastor posted:

This is the only plan that makes any sense. It's weird how he barely got credit for any of the stuff he basically made work.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

I doubt that she's a real gamer. That stool doesn't provide adequate lumbar support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Guest

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Timby posted:

WC1 would never have been released if it weren't for guys like Warren Spector keeping the project on track and Steve Beeman actually writing the code;

I heard Crobbits basically programmed WC1 in its entirety on his own by shutting himself in his room after work hours. That is, according to his then co-workers at origin.

If someone has better sources for the version above, I'd like to see them, because it'd really poo poo on his street cred. :v:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Stockholm Syndrome is abundant ITT

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Merlin sale, they might use it as an excuse to sell the phoenix again.

Tidy desk policy is now back in force.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Where do you think "You are here" should go? I'm inclined towards "Bull Trap".

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Also depicts China's stock market.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Timby posted:

EA would be the best thing just because Roberts spent months upon months begging them for the Wing Commander license but got nowhere because he wanted the money with no oversight.

Makes sense, since of the two Roberts brothers throughout their respective careers, Erin is the only one with a track record of getting poo poo done. WC1 would never have been released if it weren't for guys like Warren Spector keeping the project on track and Steve Beeman actually writing the code; Chris Roberts' name is on WC2 but he had almost nothing to do with it because he was busy trying to make Strike Commander (so Steve Beeman ran WC2, and eventually Erin had to help out with finishing Strike Commander because it had gone completely off the rails and wound up being released like two or three years late) and with WC3/4 it was patently obvious that he was more interested in making movies. Privateer 1 was completely driven by Erin Roberts with little to no involvement from Chris (and of course Privateer 2 was all Erin), and Freelancer suffered from such massive scope creep that CR ran out of money and was effectively pushed out of Digital Anvil after the Microsoft purchase.

Everybody leaves out Starlancer.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Looking forward to that Despair slump. I wouldn't mind a return to mean either but part of my thinks CIG fans will go crazy enough to tank any significant new revenue. :allears:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

Looking forward to that Despair slump. I wouldn't mind a return to mean either but part of my thinks CIG fans will go crazy enough to tank any significant new revenue. :allears:

$20 says the first big suicide related to Star Citizen will cause a ruckus from all the big whales on the forums, resulting in a kick started funeral fund that will probably reach 500% funding within the first hour

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DatonKallandor posted:

Everybody leaves out Starlancer.

That would have been an Erin joint, too, since Roberts was working on mis-managing the poo poo out of Freelancer like immediately after the WC movie.

Edit: Before the movie came out, even, since CR showed off the game at E3 '99.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 6, 2015

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
It's not like Starlancer was particularly good. It was a bunch of badly designed missions with crappy AI and an absolutely terrible story.

Probably what we'll get with SQ42 as well. Bad mission design and CR have never been far apart. 90% of missions in CR games are "fly to nav 1, kill everything, fly to nav 2, kill everything, fly to nav 3, kill everything, fly back to carrier". Capital ships have no meaningful agency, and almost the entire story happens between missions.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 6, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aesaar posted:

and almost the entire story happens between missions.

Well, hell, WC3 (and maybe even WC2) were branded as "Interactive Movies."

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Sappo569 posted:

$20 says the first big suicide related to Star Citizen will cause a ruckus from all the big whales on the forums, resulting in a kick started funeral fund that will probably reach 500% funding within the first hour

the funeral / permanent space memorial stretch goal is top secret, and you're coming very close to spilling the beans

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Well, hell, WC3 (and maybe even WC2) were branded as "Interactive Movies."

The 90's were a very strange time indeed...

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hmmm

The bottom is falling out :)

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

DasKuend posted:

http://www.reaxxion.com/10195/why-star-citizen-is-likely-going-to-be-a-complete-disaster

thanks for recommending his interesting insights, edit: also his head is a little way to big

loving hell. Just in case anyone was planning on reading this, allow me to save you the few minutes you'd waste on it and just summarise the key points:

- Derek Smart has made a bunch of revolutionary games and got no appreciation.
- Derek Smart owns a Tesla.
- Derek Smart is working on a new game, and would like to use this tedious article to advertise it.
- Derek Smart is a seasoned Internet warrior and will take you down if you gently caress with him.

There was something about Star Citizen being impossibly ambitious too, but there's no new information and any point is overshadowed by Smart's ego which has ballooned to the size of a large galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

There was something about Star Citizen being impossibly ambitious too, but there's no new information and any point is overshadowed by Smart's ego which has ballooned to the size of a large galaxy.

Plot twist: The entire Star Citizen universe actually is the inside of Derek Smart's mind.

• Locked thread