Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Eldragon posted:

Personally I don't think having a throttle for the left had is all that important, or even preferable. You won't need to make fine adjustments to throttle much like you do with a flight sim. Instead it will be mostly 0% straight to 100% and back again, and you can do that with the W and S keys.

Having a keyboard for the left hand is also useful for the larger number of key needed, and that list is only going to get bigger.

When dogfighting a throttle may not be necessary, but it's drat near impossible to dock or scoop cargo in Elite: Dangerous without making those fine adjustments. I believe Chris stated that docking will be done manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

has there been any more information released about how long it will take to get your ship back after it gets blown up? i remember the devs saying that it depends on a few factors such as the number of ships the economy can supply.

this spawned a lot of threads on the rsi forums taking this to mean an aurora should come back instantly while a hornet should take a few hours. that would be bullshit though, nobody wants to sit out for a few hours after dying.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

what's to keep someone with multiple packages and character slots from bypassing all this entirely

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

finally get invited to multiplayer and all i get is an infinite load screen when joining a match

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

played a few rounds of multiplayer and there was lots of ramming. if you don't kill each other in the initial joust both players tend to whip around and smash into each other. really digging the fast time to kill and acceleration though.

netcode seems fine even with all the destructive bits flying everywhere. just need some more gametypes now to keep things interesting.

calusari fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 28, 2014

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

the thread is called Stereoscopic 3D Gaming

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500989

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

i hope melee weapons are brutal as gently caress, boarding and beheading someone with a sword as a pirate would be awesome

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

There's a bug where kills don't get attributed. Was playing 1v1 late last night after a bunch of people quit the server (or more likely crashed) and we both ended up going 3-10. Maybe when a ship disintegrates from too much damage you don't get credit for the kill.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

can i poo poo in my jacuzzi

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

paragon1 posted:

If we can poo poo in the toilet, why not make it so players can poo poo everywhere? Just think of the possibilities!

procedural poop

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Banano posted:

Thanks but this actually makes my x52 pro even worse - something I didn't think possible. So the game is unplayable either with mouse/kb or my joystick, perhaps I'll have better luck with my haptic cockring and headmounted keyboard tapper

I had been playing the previous AC release with a 360 controller. When 0.9 released I tried m+kb and found the default controls to be very good. Got to wave 14 on my first try, despite not playing for months

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

I find performance to be as good as can be expected for being in alpha. My computer hiccups right as the vanduul waves warp in or if there are 6 guys on screen really close to me with tons of explosions and lasers going on.

By the time the PU launches, a 980/390x will probably be considered mid range

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Hehe yeah the Hornet is fun as hell with a mouse and keyboard. Really hope they don't dumb things down for the HOTAS and joystick people.

I'm getting some serious Morrowind vibes from those player animations in the planetside demo

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

^^^ Do they both have game packages? If so might be worth keeping them both for the extra character slot.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Injuries

quote:

Absolutely, your limb damage will have severe impacts on how the mechanics work - and it is limb specific too, not just an overall of 'oh youre kind of hurt'. For example, if your left arm is hurt but you throw grenades with your right, your right throw won't really be impacted.

it is planned for players to choose their dominant hand it will have a direct impact resulting from limb damage.

It's a mixture of all 3, your limbs all equal a total health but those limb states will have an impact on how quickly your overall health dwindles and bleeding out is a state that can happen if any limb is 'ruined', which can make you die rather quickly.

I dont know about limb severing as that enters gore territory but your limbs will certainly be 'ruined' and therefore useless and need to be replaced with a fake limb.

There certainly will be some gains to having a cybernetic limb for certain elements. This puts you at risk in other areas too, especially from EMP type damage or radiation/laser weaponry.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Head bobbing and Oculus Rift are really not a good mix

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

couldn't they have gotten some people who have actually played an FPS game before to demo it

also why does every developer feel the need to include terrible ubisoftesque military speak

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

haha wow, no wonder he got so defensive about it

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

the visor fogs because it's an interesting way of having a stamina bar without having a stamina bar

ever think of that???

How am I supposed to hear it over my mouth breathing and see it through my greased up glasses? Hope they have some accessibility options

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Barnsy posted:

Wtf is with people and the need to have a pimp ship? Am I the only one that just wants more/bigger guns?

Is this just so spergs can relive their fantasies?

because of the implication

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

The only thing Elite really needs to do is fix the networking problems. There are still tons of desyncs, disconnects and issues grouping up with friends (can't get into same instance).

they are just releasing so people can finally grind in peace

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

SpelledBackwards posted:

I still don't really get the perma-death thing. Who gives a poo poo about your character model, and couldn't you just transfer your gear to the next in line to die, AND customize his appearance with only high heels available as footwear to pretty much match the one who died? Yeah there are Mary Sues all over, but it seems like an empty threat, I dunno.

They did say hired NPC crewmen will gain EXP, so it's good to protect them, but I don't see the draw for player characters. What am I missing?

you can only get back your base ship hull, all the upgrades are lost which is pretty significant. upgrades can also be insured, but it will probably get expensive if you die a lot

calusari fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 9, 2014

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Octopode posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14244-How-Ideas-Take-Flight-The-Star-Citizen-Ship-Pipeline

Do you even bother to try to find information before you go into a frothing rage and accuse someone of lying? If you're not going to bother trying to keep up with information, why get so hostile at those that do?

New Corvette? Cool. Hope its military oriented, there is a big corvette-sized gap between the Retaliator and the Idris.

calusari fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 15, 2014

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Carrack page is up:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/carrack/Carrack/

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

sorla78 posted:

I think they already confirmed that they moved away from these stations featuring minigames.

good. in every other game with lockpicking/hacking minigames by the third time they already feel like a chore

docking in elite is always cool though

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Warcabbit posted:

I am feeling really good about my Core i5 2500k/8 gigs (yes, I know it needs more) / 750ti.
It's still pretty functional for a 2011 PC. Going to be replacing it come tax time.

I'm thinking i5-4690K / 16 gigs / GTX 980. Any opinions?

CPU wise that is hardly an upgrade. the only reason to upgrade the CPU would be to get some new chipset features from a newer mobo and there aren't that many jumping from z68 -> z97

get the 980, OC that 2500k and wait for skylake

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

wow, elite certainly has many issues but it's nowhere close to being a bad game. 90% of the criticism seems to be coming from people who haven't even played it but feel the need to parrot whatever problems they've read about.

also the "there's nothing to do" line coming from people who have already managed to play for hundreds of hours is pretty drat funny

PvP is a blast and the outrage it causes is well worth the $50

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

hold onto your butts

https://plus.google.com/+DerekSmart3000ad/posts
https://www.facebook.com/bc3000ad

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

if CIG wants to hit 100 million fast they should sell ship amiibos

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

how exactly do you think games get made? every other dev team just gets really lucky and makes perfect final assets when the game is still in alpha?

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

what are your computer's specs? the hangar runs like dogshit no matter what. flying around in space is smoother for me.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

descendent studios: the ultimate money laundering scheme. just wait, the kickstarter will either magically make it or it will fail and a mysterious benefactor will swoop in and get them started. hire some interns and subcontact with a 3rd world studio. after a couple years reveal that the voxel poo poo was too hard and there is no game

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

TorakFade posted:

Also, what is actually new in this 1.1 thing?

Better load times
Improved flight model
Retaliator in hangar
Gladius flyable
Gladius has new damage tech
64-bit floating precision (allows for huge maps)
New weapon mount system
Free flight mode in multiplayer (has landing pads with first iteration of landing system)
REC (Play against people in Arena Commander to earn credits to rent new ships and weapons)

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

hopefully this is part of a broader move away from convoluted holographic menus

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Truga posted:

Ok most of the article is ok, but the start is really bad, so that's why I stopped reading the first time. The title is also really dumb.

I got down to about :

The only thing Watch Doge was a top tier game in were the pre-rendered videos at E3 and hype surrounding it before release, and the actual game was rather shallow, buggy, and ran like absolute poo poo on ~epic gaming rigs~, despite being in development for 5 bloody years? If that defines top tier, I guess SC really is top tier :laffo:

watch dogs wasn't that bad. maybe i liked it because i hadn't played an assassin's creed game since the first one.

the gunplay felt good, better than gta iv even. the cars and car handling were poo poo though. the multiplayer was novel and fun. it looked pretty good, though not as good as e3 videos. but most games don't look as good as bullshots so it's strange to single out watch_dogs.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Dante80 posted:

Its not a game. We are expanding the verse here.

This is just a pet peeve of mine but I'm pretty sure Chris didn't want to create a game. His dream and mine is so much larger, yet I start up Star Citizen and what do I get - "Loading Game". I really believe that this simple message as and introduction to what lies ahead should be changed to something more worthy of Star Citizen. I would suggest something along the lines of "Expanding Verse". Chime in, what do other citizens think? Yes? No?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/247785/change-loading-game

reticulating spergs

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Hopefully the FPS stuff will scratch that itch for me now that Ubisoft has turned Rainbow 6 into a CoD clone.

Full Metal Boxers posted:

Did you ever play with the ARMA goons, back when people still used that "ACE" mod or whatever it was, the one that made ARMA even MORE brutally realistic? Holy hell. That one actually made you equip earplugs, or you would go deaf without them. Games took forever unless you had vehicles, just from your squad gunners needing to stop every fifteen feet to catch their breath.

ACE3 for Arma 3 was just recently announced! Time to kill friendlies with backblast

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Full Metal Boxers posted:

It's always been a niche title, and it always will be, because the people who want the kind of hard-core realism that it specializes in are a small, niche audience. Survival horror, by comparison, has a much wider audience which is why you see things like DayZ gaining such a huge playerbase compared to the core game it's modified from.

Except more people play Arma 3 than H1Z1 and DayZ combined

code:
36,728	44,019	 	Arma 3
20,679	22,386	 	H1Z1
14,441	16,530	 	DayZ

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

minigames suck rear end and are a chore after the second time, see lockpicking/hacking mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

it will only be blocked on the oculus store, not the device itself

• Locked thread