Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The Zero Punctuation review had a pretty good summary of the differences.

Killer7 had plot exposition by having the Power Rangers as a metaphor for American-Japanese relationships, Killer is Dead had plot exposition by a bunch of grumpy guys sitting in a dim room.

I really shouldn't have expected much but I just didn't like it. I played it once but the missed potential is just so overwhelming it hurts. What could've been great was just something with Suda's name slapped on it that was pretty thoroughly mediocre.

Maybe Lily Bergamo will be better. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ztarlit_Sky posted:

So then you get a game that carries the name of Killer 7. It sounds like a promise that Suda51 would finally put something out worthy of what made him famous. Judging by the thread, you know how it went down. I haven't played it, but I think the response speaks for itself. It's a shame since I'm really looking forward to what kind of game would happen if he were willing and permitted to try and surpass Killer 7, with little executive influence. But after GungHo's acquisition of Grasshopper Studios, I wouldn't bet on that.

That's basically Suda51's style really. If you want to actually understand Killer 7, you pretty much need to read the Handout Killer 7, or get the info from someone who does. There's a lot more to it than you could reasonably extract from the game.

Hand in Killer 7 explains some of the symbolism but it also is from an older build of Killer 7 so it's not entirely accurate.

Also Suda used the phrase "Complete creative freedom" with Lily Bergamo, a phrase he used for Killer7. I doubt it'll be as good, but who knows.

For what it's worth, NMH, Lolipop Chainsaw, Sine Mora and Liberation Maiden were decent, or at least not as mediocre as DMD and KiD.

kalonZombie posted:

and the gameplay is just there because it's a video game, not an anime.

Killer7's gameplay is what Bioshock would've wanted to be but didn't have the balls to do. :colbert:

[quote="ManlyGrunting" post="430509893"]
Yeah, Suda games always treat women characters as satellites to the male main characters: the (usually flawed) relationships give insight and flavour to the man, but the woman exists solely in relationship to the man.
[quote]

It's a little sad but Juliet from LC is one of the stronger female characters in games. She's got agency and stays in control of things, which is more then 99% of games can say about their female cast.

Not that he had much to do with LC.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 5, 2014

• Locked thread