Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

All Hufflepuff game or bust. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How will magic be done in the game?

Will it be something like "You learn [Harry Potter Spell] and can use it with a roll" or will there be something more involved?

Might as well post up my submission.

-----

Jacqueline Tanzer

A girl from a Muggle family. Her getting that letter was the most awesome amazing incredible thing ever! Magic is real! And more importantly, she can use it! It didn't take much to convince her parents to let her go. From there it was a simple matter of getting the materials and preparing. And prepare she did, devour every single book on the wizarding world she could get her hands on (Holy crap the pictures move.) and get ready for her awesome new life as the most amazing wizard ever.

It's going to be a blast!

pre:
High Concept: Emthusiastic Newcomer
Touble: Acts Without Thinking

Other Aspects:
Stranger in a Magic Land
Young Nerd in Training
Explosive Booksmarts

Flashy +3 
Clever +2
Forceful +2
Quick +1
Sneaky +1
Careful +0

Stunts: 

If it's not Flashy it's not Magic: Gains a +2 to rolls when casting big flashy magic. (As in spells that
make loud noises, explosions, and other big effects)
I Remember Reading That: Once per session I can find a book to reveal an aspect of a problem

Refresh: 3
Why she belongs in...

Gryffindor: She's always not thinking about the consequence ready to charge in at a moment's notice in order to do great things. No dark magic or creepy thing is going to stop her!

Hufflepuff: One thing about her is that she's definitely going to to be working hard. She was completely ignorant of the magical world, yet she's strived to be the best she can, through effort and a lot of study.

Ravenclaw: She read The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1 from cover to cover the minute she bought it. She's incredibly studious and fairly clever.

Slytherin: Becoming the best wizard ever. She has her ambitions and dreams, even if they're simple right now. She's not going to let anything stand in her way of them. Even if she has to make something blow up to accomplish it.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 6, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

namesake posted:

Looking fine but can you give me an example of when you'd invoke Stranger in a Magic Land?

Let's say for example the son of the Minister of Magic is being a jerk, nobody's doing much because of his bigshot parent. Jacqueline on the other hand, has no idea what's the deal with this punk and invoke the aspect to confront him.

Or let's say one of the teachers gets the idea of hiding sensitive info in a computer, since Wizards are terrible with any sort of tech and all. She could invoke this and be able to use it to find the info.

It's basically an "Outsider" aspect, so situations that would harm or help her from not being part of the culture are when it's compelled/invoked.

namesake posted:

A good question, right now I'm intending to have a Course Syllabus of spells that'll be Mediocre for you all to perform at any time and will be updated as the year progresses. You'll be free to try and use any other magic (or potions) that you can think of (it won't have had to be in the books but please use butchered latin!) but I'll be keeping the difficulty quite high. Stunts will be very useful if you feel you really need to access a particular kind of spell.

This sounds pretty good. So basically at the beginning of the year we'll be struggling to cast the year's spells and have to use Invokes and Stunts in order to succeed when it really counts but by the end we'll have a goof general mastery of thr sets.

namesake posted:

If the magic is purely narrative in function like spellchecking (drat that's a good pun) an essay or packing a suitcase then go ahead although since you'll be first years try to keep it reasonable.

Yeah this is reasonable. Basically the sort of things Harry and Co were able to do in the first book.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 7, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Personally I think it'd be best for us all the be in one house, just to keep things simpler.

Also I think we got enough Gryffindor action in canon, just saying. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm fine with either of those choices, flip a coin for my vote. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:justpost:

Eagerly awaiting the start

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jackie will actually like History of Magic. :v:

Transfiguration and DADA are the other two classes she's be real interested in, and I can imagine amusing situations in Muggle Relations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So about this rival/friend making thing, do we just spend the FP and then give a bit of description on their future relationship to us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Namesake you really think that "Intense Focus" can't be described as "Forceful?"

I had originally made it "Cleverly" but decided that Forceful worked better.

Though, both Forceful and Clever have the same bonus on me so it doesn't matter. :v:

• Locked thread