Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Excerpt from Gravesend Police Blotter, March 18th, 2013
code:
Incident     Incident Time     Description
14105102     03:52             Possible Homicide Victim(s) Discovered
Police arrived on the scene early [Monday] morning... anonymous sources report that the amount of blood and viscera found in the alleyway suggests more than one victim… no witnesses have been reported at this time... police have no official suspects, although they are pursuing "persons of interest..."
– Wade, Howard. “Homicide Horror Show in Downtown Gravesend.” Gravesend Tribune. 19 Mar. 2013: p. 1-2.

Excerpt from Gravesend Medical Examiner Recorded Report, March 20th, 2013
"... now can confidently say that the body parts come from at least three different people. The extent of tissue damage and massive blood evidence suggests that all three would be deceased... wounds are consistent with thin, sharp blades at least six inches in length... there’s evidence of post-mortem mutilation... this is a bad one, Jason."

Gravesend is a modern urban horror game using the Fate Core System. This game will be for between three and five players. Characters will be very mundane people at the start of the game, who find themselves investigating and confronting those things that hunt, haunt, and hide in the darkness of the city of Gravesend. This is the characters’ starting point; the initial power level for this game will be slightly below standard Fate character generation to give you a chance to grow into your characters as your characters grow into the story.

Recruitment will run until June 13th, and characters will be selected based on how well they fit with the setting and with each other. In the event that there are more than five suitable characters submitted, I’ll likely use a first come, first serve method.

In the game, you can either roll your dice yourself and link to the saved roll (I use Orokos) or I can roll for you if you wish. Just let me know if I need to roll for you. I'm hoping for players that will be able to post at least five times a week. More's always better, but in my experience averaging five posts allows the game to not get bogged down in PbP.

If you have any question about the game, feel free to ask here in the thread, via PM, or send me an e-mail. My e-mail address is my user name at hotmail.com.

Character Creation

First and most importantly, make sure that the character you submit fits into a game like this. As an example, the flavor blurb above is the tag for the first potential storyline the characters can become involved in. At least to start, this game will focus on the characters seeking out the threats around them; characters that don’t have something driving them to investigate the world around them don’t work well. Likewise, we’re dealing with mundane humans here to start with; characters are starting from a position of little knowledge and relatively ordinary lives. Bartlebys and Batmen need not apply.

Characters will start with three Aspects: their High Concept, Trouble, and one additional Aspect. After the first and second milestone, you’ll have a chance to add another Aspect, leading to a final total of five Aspects. The staggered Aspect creation has two purposes; you’ll be able to get a feel for your character before locking in your final Aspects, and you’ll have an opportunity to link your final Aspects to parts of the game you’re personally enjoying.

Because of this change in Aspect generation from traditional Fate, there will not be three phases with story swapping between characters. All of the characters know each other, at least well enough to know everyone’s name. If you want to be deeply connected to each other before the game, great! But your characters will hopefully bond as a group in the prologue, before the final Aspects are created. In essence, we’re playing out the stories that would normally be glossed over during phases.

All other character creation rules are standard for Fate Core. The skill cap is Great, skills are built in a pyramid, Physical and Mental stress boxes with a default of 2, Refresh is 3, and you have 3 free stunts before you need to pay for stunts with Refresh. I’ve included a simple character template below to fill out the minimum information needed.

Location Creation

Locations can be as expansive as an entire city section, such as the Downtown section below, or as contained as a single room, such as a studio apartment. Locations have Connections based on their physical accessibility. A Police Station might be connected to Downtown by being located in it, while the I-81/I-276 exchange might be connected to Downtown, an Industrial District, a Suburb, and a National Park. Each Location must have at least one Connection.

Locations will also evolve throughout the game through Connections and through the Locations’ permanent Aspects. Every location has up to three Aspects, and at milestones these Aspects can change. All Aspects for a location are not known, and at the start of the game most Aspects for locations are going to be undefined or hidden. Hidden Aspects can be revealed in play, and undefined Aspects will be defined during the game to tie in plots and flesh out the world.

Connections are basically boring Aspects; Fate Points can be used to compel them, by players and by me. More importantly, they allow a map of sorts to be built of the setting. At its core, this game is as much about the setting as it is about the plotlines and by linking locations and allowing locations to evolve throughout the game the setting’s physical presence will be a living, breathing part of the game.

As a part of character creation and submission, please build out at least one location, using the location template below. Include a single Known Aspect about the location, and at least one Connection. Feel free to be vague about the Connection to start with (“Neighborhood” for a residential house in a currently undefined neighborhood, for instance); we can always build out the connected Location before play starts.

World Creation

Last but not least, I have several solid ideas for storylines, but I want to make sure that this world is one where you have things you’re interested in. To that end, tell me one Aspect or Issue for the game. An Aspect on the setting is something that I will treat as a theme and weave into multiple storylines, while an Issue is a specific problem or threat that exists in the world which will likely have its own storyline.

Character Creation Template

Name:
Description:
Aspects:

Skills:
Great (+4) -
Good (+3) -
Fair (+2) -
Average (+1) -

Stunts:

Refresh:

Location Template

Name:
Description:
Connection(s):
Known Aspects:

Submission Short Version
- Create a Character for Submission with Three Aspects
- Create a Location
- Create a Setting Aspect or Issue

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Setting

The world of Gravesend is one much like our own, but with hidden undercurrents that the characters are on the brink of being swept up into. As they become more involved in the world they’re slowly learning about just to side of our own, they’re becoming more familiar with the dangers that new world holds.

Setting Aspects: Hunting, Haunting, and Hiding in Gravesend
Current Issues: Vanishings; String of Horrific Murders; Mundane Crime Spree (Gas Store Robbery)

Locations

Characters (Our Tremendous Trio!)

Jacob Prior
Phil Harrigan
Alexis Murnau

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 16, 2014

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

The Cases of Gravesend:

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 19, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
I'll submit a character tonight. Just wondering if you're changing any of the skills (like what does Lore mean in this context?).

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

You wouldn't mind a noobie would you? I've recently picked up FATE and I'm currently reading through the book. This game idea sounds really interesting so far. I could get a character sheet up tomorrow afternoon.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Spincut posted:

I'll submit a character tonight. Just wondering if you're changing any of the skills (like what does Lore mean in this context?).

I'd thought about reducing the skill list and having the skill cap run to Good, but I couldn't make it balance in a way I liked. Therefore, we're running with the whole skill set as published to start. If we need to make changes later, we can definitely talk about that later.

Lore in this game will apply to general knowledge and scholarship; it's your go-to smart guy skill. As it stands unmodified, it can't traditionally be used for attack and defense. I considered specifically changing it to read Scholarship and we may still, but that's just a renaming. It will act the same regardless of what we call it.

Another thing I forgot to put in the OP (and will add) is the posting expectation. PbP runs slow by its nature, but I'm hoping for players to be able to post at least 5 times in a week.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Upmarket Mango posted:

You wouldn't mind a noobie would you? I've recently picked up FATE and I'm currently reading through the book. This game idea sounds really interesting so far. I could get a character sheet up tomorrow afternoon.

Noobie's are absolutely welcome! I've always found Fate a relatively friendly game for first-time players, and I'm not going to be running a game that requires power gaming or intimate rules knowledge. The big thing to note is the change I made to Aspect generation, and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

One of the things I like about Fate is that there are no wrong skill sets. The skills and aspects you choose tell me the type of game you want to play. If we get 4 bruisers, it will be combat heavy. If we get a trio of social butterflies, it becomes much more political. Come up with a character you want to play that would become embroiled in mysteries of a darker nature, and you'll do just fine!

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
App's gonna go here sometime tonight!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

App's gonna go here sometime tonight!

Awesome! I might not be around later tonight, but I'll look it over tomorrow while at work.

Really excited to see what ideas come out of the character submissions!

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
This looks really cool. Gonna put together a journalist type. Should have it up sometime tomorrow!

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Name: Jacob Prior

Description: Jacob was the up-and-comer in the Gravesend Police Department. An excellent investigator, Jacob's keen insight and powers of observation led to the capture of many dangerous criminals. Everything was looking up for Jacob...until his beloved wife and son disappeared. Distraught, Jacob quickly fell into a downward spiral. His obsession over finding them grew in intensity until he unintentionally caused the death of one of the other officers in a raid on a dangerous gang whom Jacob believed to be the kidnappers. Worse still, Jacob soon found out that the gang had nothing to do with him or his missing loved ones. Jacob quit the department before they could fire him, moved out of his house, and took to drinking.

After a time, he managed to pull himself out of the stupor he had created. Now, he's a troubled detective. He still keeps ties with the police department, who hires him on as a freelance for difficult cases. His sense of investigation is luckily still intact. In the back of his mind, however, the thought of his family still torments him, and he has vowed to find them no matter what.

Appearance: Jacob is in his early 30s. He dresses casually, even when on the job, and usually is sporting a 5 o'clock shadow (or 6 o'clock, or 7 o'clock, or...). He usually has an unkempt appearance as well.

Aspects: High Concept: "Grizzled Ex-CSI" Jacob has seen some of the terrible things that humans can inflict on each other and has grown hardened to it. He is a master investigator and feels at home in a crime scene. The stir caused by his peer's death, however, is still fresh in Gravesend's mind, however, and Jacob is often looked down upon for his actions.

Trouble: "Haunted Past" Jacob is haunted by the memory of his family. Any lead of their whereabouts causes him to drop whatever he is doing and follow that instead. Finding them takes priority above everything else, even his own well-being.

Other: "Blood Reader" Jacob knows how killers think. He finds it easy to slip into a murderer's mindset and see how they would see, leading him to come to conclusions that would be difficult for others. Conversely, however, when he does this, others find that his mood changes dramatically, and he becomes borderline sociopathic.

Skills:
Great (+4) - Investigation
Good (+3) - Lore, Notice
Fair (+2) - Shoot, Contacts, Physique
Average (+1) - Will, Resources, Athletics, Fight
3 physical/3 mental stress boxes

Stunts: "Pick Them Apart" Jacob uses Investigation to create advantages, finding holes in his opponent's will based on a quick glance at their mannerisms, appearance, and mood.

"Buddies on the Force" Jacob can use Contacts instead of Rapport when dealing with members of the police department.

???

Refresh: 3

Name: The Prior Home

Description: Now abandoned, the Prior home is where Jacob used to live with his wife Sophie and his son Alex. One day, Sophie and Alex simply vanished. All of the doors were locked, there were no signs of a struggle...they were just gone. Jacob moved out soon after that into a small apartment, but not before being troubled by insidious nightmares. The house is on the market now, but so far, nobody has offered to buy it. The prospective buyers always leave feeling uncomfortable and nervous. Something is off about this house.

Connection(s): Connects to residential district and...somewhere else.

Known Aspects: "Terrifying Aura"

Setting Aspect: "Vanishing" Sophie and Alex aren't the only ones who have gone missing without a trace. Jacob is turning up other cases of this exact thing happening elsewhere in Gravesend.

Hope this is okay. I've run FATE before, but this is my first time building a character. Not sure what to do for the last stunt yet, but if something comes to me, I'll edit it in. Any suggestions are welcome!

Spincut fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 6, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Probably going to make something

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Interested. Thinking a photographer type.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Actually my app will be going up sometime today! Keep watching this new space!

EDIT: Ugh, sick as hell. Updating this space tonight if I can stop praying to porcelain idols, but no promises.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 6, 2014

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Spincut posted:

Name: Jacob Prior

<snip>

Nice! Just a couple of questions and such, but nothing major.

I'm picturing Jacob as in his 30's, kinda scruffy looking, dark eyes, pretty average otherwise. That about right physically? What's his general ethnicity, some kind of European descent like his name suggests?

For the "Pick Them Apart" stunt, how do you envision the mental attacks with Investigate working? I get the creating advantages, it's basically taking the Notice creating advantage and supplanting it with Investigate for conflicts, I'm just not seeing how Investigate is being used to attack.

For your third Stunt, feel free to leave the open even as we get into play, until you find something you want to have it focus on to further develop Jacob. My opinion has always been that the three free Stunts can be filled at any time, but that buying Stunts with Refresh and swapping out defined Stunts happens at specific milestones per the rules.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Sounds interesting, so I'll give it a go. I haven't made a Fate Core character before, so let me know if anything seems wonky.

Name: Phil Harrigan
Phil struck gold with a series of pulp novels, ranging in genre from gritty noir to science fiction and super heroes. He isn't much of a writer and most of his books are aggressively mediocre, but his ability to read people enabled him to pander to just about anyone. He'll never win any awards, or even be recognized by most of his colleagues, but he does well enough to live a life in moderate luxury.
He has gained an amount of notoriety because of his aggressive way to collect inspiration. Phil will often monitor the police radio frequencies, hurry to a crime scene and cheat his way in to look at whatever has happened. Similarly, the underworld is growing increasingly tired of him, as he keeps faking his way into their midst.
There aren't a lot of people who like him, but he still knows exactly who to go to, to get the information he needs. Even if the information won't come cheap.
Phil is currently working on yet another gritty pulp novel about the seedy underbelly of a city. But where to get the inspiration?

Physically, he's about 40, bald with a short grey beard, intense grey eyes and a frail build.

High Concept: Pulp novel writer
Trouble: Known snooper
Aspect: Incredibly daring

Skills:
Great (+4) - Deceive
Good (+3) - Resources, Contacts
Fair (+2) - Lore, Will, Notice
Average (+1) - Empathy, Athletics, Shoot, Rapport

Stunts:
"I researched that for a book!" - Phil knows... Sometimes. For a Fate point, Phil will know exactly what something is. As long as it's part of the 'real' mundane world.
"I know just the guy!" - Once per session, Phil knows just the guy to talk to about something. It might not be cheap, but at least he doesn't have to search for the guy.
"Money Talks!" Phil can use Resources instead of Rapport in any situation where ostentatious displays of material wealth might aid his cause.

2 physical/3 mental stress boxes

Description: A great place to smuggle things in and out of town, plan your illegal activities or even ship and receive orders for your small legal business.
Connection(s): Industrial District, Downtown.
Known Aspects: Shady activities.

Setting issue: String of horrific murders.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

Nice! Just a couple of questions and such, but nothing major.

I'm picturing Jacob as in his 30's, kinda scruffy looking, dark eyes, pretty average otherwise. That about right physically? What's his general ethnicity, some kind of European descent like his name suggests?

For the "Pick Them Apart" stunt, how do you envision the mental attacks with Investigate working? I get the creating advantages, it's basically taking the Notice creating advantage and supplanting it with Investigate for conflicts, I'm just not seeing how Investigate is being used to attack.

For your third Stunt, feel free to leave the open even as we get into play, until you find something you want to have it focus on to further develop Jacob. My opinion has always been that the three free Stunts can be filled at any time, but that buying Stunts with Refresh and swapping out defined Stunts happens at specific milestones per the rules.

Yeah, that's how I imagine Jacob looking as well. Early 30s, doesn't keep up his appearance too much, so he's a bit scruffy and unkempt. A bit above average in fitness, but not *too* above average.

For "Pick Them Apart," I was imagining something like Sherlock Holmes scanning his opponent for weaknesses, but that is more create an advantage than making an attack, so maybe I'll have it be just creating an advantage.

EDIT: For the third stunt, I might have it be something like "Jacob can use Investigate twice during a crime scene investigation contest" but that would be using Investigation twice and that seems unnecessary. I'll keep thinking!

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
This is certainly interesting. I'll start working on an app when I get home.

Name: Alexis Murnau
Physical Stress: 2 Mental Stress: 4

Alexis has lived in Gravesend all of her life, and she’s loathed every second of it. In her opinion, it’s one of those towns that absolutely nothing happens in. Alexis tries to counter this by filling her life with horror movies, petty crimes like shoplifting, arguments with strangers on the Internet, shifts at a local convenience store, and a healthy dose of hoping that something interesting will occur sometime soon. Then, she saw the police cars heading past his workplace, the news reports, and eventually, the scene itself (well, as much as she can see from behind ‘DO NOT CROSS’ tape.)

Appearence: Alexis is rather thin, and tends to hide her pale face behind a curtain of black hair.

High Concept: The Curious Bystander: Alexis thinks the murders are the best thing ever to happen in Gravesend. She wants to know how the crime happened, who’s responsible, and who exactly died, but above all else, she wants to see how deep this goes and how long the ride will last.
Trouble: Pushing It: Alexis just doesn't know the meaning of ‘stop’, and is never able to leave well enough alone.
Other: Horror Authority: Alexis has devoted a sizeable portion of her free time to her only hobby: watching, dissecting (heh), and writing horror movies. From Aliens to Zombie Werewolves Attack! and everything in between, she’s become exceedingly knowledgeable on the subject, able to rattle of her favorites, her preferred directors, kill counts of certain slasher stars, and her personal favorite on-screen deaths and scenes.

Skills:
(+4) Will
(+3) Burglary, Lore
(+2) Notice, Drive, Deceive
(+1) Provoke, Athletics, Investigate

Stunts:
Professional Shoplifter: +2 when using Burglary to steal from a location (e.g. a house or a store)
Saw it in a Movie: Once per session, Alexis can spend a FATE point and use Lore in place of another skill to replicate something she’s seen in one of her beloved horror movies (provided she can back up that she’s actually seen it done on film.)
Terror Expert: +2 when using Lore to share Alexis’ knowledge on anything horrific or frightening in pop culture.

Description: Alexis' place of work and the only place in Gravesend where you can get a full tank of gas, a 40 oz full of soda, a rotisserie chicken, and a family-sized bag of pretzels for under $15. Notably, it’s only a block or two away from the crime scene.
Connection: Downtown
Known Aspects: Close to the murder site.
Setting Issue: The store was just robbed by a gun-toting man two days ago, though thankfully not on Alexis' shift.

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 13, 2014

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

Actually my app will be going up sometime today! Keep watching this new space!

EDIT: Ugh, sick as hell. Updating this space tonight if I can stop praying to porcelain idols, but no promises.

Take care of yourself first and foremost. Recruiting goes to the end of the week, so you have plenty of time.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Electric Hobo posted:

Sounds interesting, so I'll give it a go. I haven't made a Fate Core character before, so let me know if anything seems wonky.

Name: Phil Harrigan
<snip>

Everything looks fine! For the setting issue you suggested, you're tying that into the Downtown murder (making it serial AND mass), or are you thinking a second, unrelated string?

For your "Money Talks!" stunt, there might be rare situations where I don't allow it, but that will be because it's not really a time when money can open doors. In essence, if I do nix the usage in a situation where it seems like it would work, it's a strong clue that there's a hidden Aspect in play that negates the usage. Think trying to impress someone that as an Aspect like "Money Isn't Everything." It might never come up, but I want to make sure that the reasoning for it's up front so you don't think I'm just being an adversarial GM.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Spincut posted:

For "Pick Them Apart," I was imagining something like Sherlock Holmes scanning his opponent for weaknesses, but that is more create an advantage than making an attack, so maybe I'll have it be just creating an advantage.

EDIT: For the third stunt, I might have it be something like "Jacob can use Investigate twice during a crime scene investigation contest" but that would be using Investigation twice and that seems unnecessary. I'll keep thinking!

I'm not sure if that weakens the "Pick..," Stunt too much, but lets say that if we find it's not working in-game we can always return to it to tweak. Fair?

For the third, I think that you're right, it's a little weak that way. I'd almost have to build contests specially to allow you to have it be really useful.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
So, I have a question about the Lore Skill.
I put Lore as my "Great" Skill because my character is super-knowledgeable in a certain field, which isn't very academic. I then read your definition of how Lore would work in the game,

Byers2142 posted:

Lore in this game will apply to general knowledge and scholarship; it's your go-to smart guy skill.
And I'm not sure what to do. The character certainly isn't that smart or scholarly outside of one field, but at the same time I don't know any other way to represent her expertise.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Kumaton posted:

So, I have a question about the Lore Skill.
I put Lore as my "Great" Skill because my character is super-knowledgeable in a certain field, which isn't very academic. I then read your definition of how Lore would work in the game,

And I'm not sure what to do. The character certainly isn't that smart or scholarly outside of one field, but at the same time I don't know any other way to represent her expertise.

I'd suggest dropping Lore to lower on the skill list, and using a Stunt to boost it for rolls relating to her area of expertise. I had a similar character in a Dresden game I used to play in, where my skill was Fair but my Stunt bumped it to a Great when related to mythology. That allows you to have a second skill as her peak skill, and represents the specialization she has in her field.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Byers2142 posted:

I'd suggest dropping Lore to lower on the skill list, and using a Stunt to boost it for rolls relating to her area of expertise. I had a similar character in a Dresden game I used to play in, where my skill was Fair but my Stunt bumped it to a Great when related to mythology. That allows you to have a second skill as her peak skill, and represents the specialization she has in her field.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll edit my app and post in in the near future.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I forgot how busy of a weekend I had planned. I'll get a character submitted on Monday if there are still openings. Otherwise, have fun everyone.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

Everything looks fine! For the setting issue you suggested, you're tying that into the Downtown murder (making it serial AND mass), or are you thinking a second, unrelated string?

For your "Money Talks!" stunt, there might be rare situations where I don't allow it, but that will be because it's not really a time when money can open doors. In essence, if I do nix the usage in a situation where it seems like it would work, it's a strong clue that there's a hidden Aspect in play that negates the usage. Think trying to impress someone that as an Aspect like "Money Isn't Everything." It might never come up, but I want to make sure that the reasoning for it's up front so you don't think I'm just being an adversarial GM.

I think that's up to you to decide. It might turn out that the newest murders are part of the serial killings, but then again, it might be something else. The important part is that there's a serial killer out there.

As for the stunt, that's perfectly fine. There'll always be some people who can't be bribed, and might even get offended if it's tried.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Byers, do you happen to use IRC or something similar? I have a few questions about the game and how well my character would fit, but I don't want to flood the thread with them.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Kumaton posted:

Byers, do you happen to use IRC or something similar? I have a few questions about the game and how well my character would fit, but I don't want to flood the thread with them.

I've got PMs, or feel free to drop me an e-mail or try to catch me on AIM; e-mail's my username at hotmail.com, that's also what my AIM's under. I can also try to be on IRC this week, but won't be on tonight.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Just a reminder, I'm hoping to have recruiting wrapped up this week. I know that Kumaton has a character in the works that we've talked over outside the thread, anyone else should feel free to PM or e-mail me!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Kumaton posted:

This is certainly interesting. I'll start working on an app when I get home.

Name: Alexis Murnau
<snip>

Just notice you edited in your character sheet, sorry for the delay!

My only comment is that the setting issue you have listed isn't really a setting issue, it works better as a second Aspect for the gas station.

Also betraying my Pittsburgh upbringing, a gas station downtown just seems weird to me!

Alexis seems younger (mid twenties at a guess), any idea on what she looks like physically? Ethnicity, style, whatever?

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Byers2142 posted:

Just notice you edited in your character sheet, sorry for the delay!

My only comment is that the setting issue you have listed isn't really a setting issue, it works better as a second Aspect for the gas station.

Also betraying my Pittsburgh upbringing, a gas station downtown just seems weird to me!

Alexis seems younger (mid twenties at a guess), any idea on what she looks like physically? Ethnicity, style, whatever?

It's not a problem! I'm sure you're a very busy man.

That's fair enough. I'll try and think of another one today.

I was raised in small towns all my life, and the one I live in right now has one or two gas stations in it's little downtown/Main Street area. I guess I just don't see it as unusual. I don't mind changing it, if it's going to bother you.

That's about right, concerning her age. I'd say early twenties, thin as a rail, maybe Asian-American. Dresses really plainly, t-shirts or wife-beaters with baggy cargo pants usually.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Kumaton posted:

That's fair enough. I'll try and think of another one today.

I was raised in small towns all my life, and the one I live in right now has one or two gas stations in it's little downtown/Main Street area. I guess I just don't see it as unusual. I don't mind changing it, if it's going to bother you.

I like the idea of Aspect, just wanted to see if you'd be ok shifting it to the Gas Station.

As for the location, it doesn't bother me enough to change, just funny that if I were building the city on my own, there's no way a gas station would be downtown because I'd never even consider it!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Sorry for delay, the site breaking over the weekend and Father's Day conspired to steal my prep time. I'm going to have everything ready tonight to start the game with Phil, Alexis, and Jacob, so we should be up and running for tomorrow morning!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

drat, this game sounds wicked cool. Disappointed that I missed recruitment, but I've been busy (and probably will be for the next couple weeks). Do you think you might add some more players later?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Green Intern posted:

drat, this game sounds wicked cool. Disappointed that I missed recruitment, but I've been busy (and probably will be for the next couple weeks). Do you think you might add some more players later?

Yeah, I could see players entering and leaving the game at milestones. Since it's got a strong investigative bent, it's not that hard to move people in and out as needed. The only rule I'd make is that new characters start at the same power levels and no higher than the IC knowledge levels of the existing PCs. If the PCs have sussed out that there's a freovolf that feeds on the city's sorrow, but not that the freovolf is controlled by a master high in the city's political environment, a new character wouldn't be able to come in and say, "Yeah, see that guy next to the Mayor? He totally controls the freovolf."

Existing players, freovolf is something I literally just made up for the example. It may or may not be in the game.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I'll keep an eye on the game and ask again later. Best of luck to you and your players.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

Existing players, freovolf is something I literally just made up for the example. It may or may not be in the game.

A CLUE! :monocle:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Smartass!

I've uploaded a Location Map into the second post and linked the character submissions, still need to clean up a few things in the post but take a look at the locations and let me know if you see anything I screwed up.

I'm going to pull back the curtain a bit to show you how I think about plotlines in a game like this, to explain something you're going to see in that third "Reserved" post as soon as I'm done with building it out. With PbP, the usual Fate milestones of session and so on don't really apply. So what I do is build the plotlines to match the milestone ideas of minor, significant, and major. Some minor plots are subplots of significant plots, others are stand alone. Same for significant to major. Think of a TV show; you have the episode's plot, longer multi-episode plots, and season-arching plots. They can intermingle and affect each other, but each is ultimately a separate beast. Same general idea here.

This isn't a hugely original idea, but in my experience it leads to people not knowing how far they are from a milestone. After all, advancement and healing all tie to milestones in PbP, so knowing if you're getting close or have awhile is important. So I run the plots in the clear as characters (love the Fate fractal!). The Stress Track is the plot's resistance to resolution, and when the Stress is filled, the plot's resolved (you might not like the resolution, of course). As you discover or declare Aspects, they get added to the plots to view publicly. When a milestone resolves, you get that milestone. If more than one resolve at the same time, you get the highest milestone. That third post is where you'll be able to see what plots you know about and are currently working on, resolves plots with a brief write-up, and so on. Just as a way for you to know as players where you stand in reaching milestones.

Think of it as checking your watch at the table and seeing you've only got an hour left, so things are going to get interesting!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I figure I'll just post the concept that I had before I saw that the recruit was closed, just in case it opens again and I'm able to get in.

A made man for the mob who keeps having doubts about his line of work, or some poor schmuck who ends up in the pocket of a crime family. Possible complications could include being a police informant, owing favors or having obligations to the mob, or secretly disobeying orders when it would otherwise harm innocent people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Ok, the plotlines (I'm calling them cases due to the game's focus and the initial characters) are in the third post. We have the Prior disappearances, the gas station robbery, and the murder in the alleyway.

For the murder, the second Aspect references Jason <Insert Last Name>, who's the investigating cop and the person who's going to bring Jacob in to look at the case. Spincut, can you tell me one thing about Jason that Jacob knows about him from their time on the force? The Aspect also reflects that this is more than you're usual murder and that the cops might be in over their heads.

For the robbery, the second Aspect references the fact that it's small beans, and the cops aren't really working to solve that crime. Kumaton, can you tell me something about the clerk on duty?

Electric Hobo, looking at the three cases, which one would Phil be most interested in? A true mysterious vanishing, a bloody spectacle, or the breakdown of modern society as seen via petty street crimes?

Green Intern posted:

I figure I'll just post the concept that I had before I saw that the recruit was closed, just in case it opens again and I'm able to get in.

Let me know when your schedule clears (you said a few weeks?) and you and I can talk through a way to introduce your character into whatever inevitable shenanigans the PCs are getting into. A character like that has some rather obvious ties to the PCs and to the setting, so it shouldn't be a huge hassle to do!

• Locked thread