Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You know what's a cool show? Doctor who, that's a cool show

Deadpool you should watch doctor who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

I dunno what's ironic about it, but it is pretty lovely, yeah.

You know what's awesome? Party Down. Y'all fuckers can have your Breaking Bad or The Wire or whatever, Party Down is better than pretty much everything.

Party down so good yeah.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
This series of Doctor Who is very very bad. There's a really weird dissonance between the old school stern tone of how the Doctor is being played and Moffat taking the programme towards the children's TV/soap opera ends of the spectrum.

Also the scripts have all been poo poo.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

This series of Doctor Who is very very bad. There's a really weird dissonance between the old school stern tone of how the Doctor is being played and Moffat taking the programme towards the children's TV/soap opera ends of the spectrum.

I like this season so far. I think people just need to get used to the new doc.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I haven't yet watched this latest episode, but I'm really enjoying this season. These are the first episodes I've ever watched as they air, and, for some reason, when I marathon to catch up to a show, I tend to not like the new episodes as the air. Probably because the pace changes for obvious reasons. But these have really got me on board. I like the new sort of crazy, grumpy Uncle thing they've got going for the Doctor. And Clara is interesting for the first time in her entire run. The only script I was wild about was the first 30 or so minutes of the season premiere. But it settled into something pretty great after that. And Capaldi seems to still be honing in on exactly who is Doctor is, but the result is I like him more each episode.

Anyway, Doctor Who is probably the most subjective TV show I've ever watched, because it's so out there and so inconsistent, so no opinion is really wrong. I've hated pretty large stretches of it. But I'm on board for this season so far.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TheChad posted:

I like this season so far. I think people just need to get used to the new doc.

That's the problem, I like the new Doctor. I think the RTD-esque CBBC meets Eastenders drivel that I do not like. Everything wrong with this series can be summed up with the sentence "Clara is a time-stalker in love *uguuuu*, and the Doctor shot a spaceship with Robin Hood's golden arrow."

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

no you loving liar

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

There's a really weird dissonance between the old school stern tone of how the Doctor is being played and Moffat's move towards taking the programme towards the children's TV/soap opera ends of the spectrum.

An adult not liking a children's program is a clear sign that the children's program is doing something wrong.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

lol

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
"Hello, I am Stephen Moffat and I am going to respond to criticism of Clara's lack of personality (and persistent rumours of my own misogyny) by having her be defined soley by her new boyfriend. Who is a soldier, and soldiers are bad. Baby killers rarg. See how I am making an incredibly unsubtle and, frankly, crass analogy to the dichotomy of the Doctor's personality? Haha yes, I'm a loving genius.

Also, I absolutely love the spoon fight with Robin Hood, Mark. But I do think you need to make Clara swoon some more because, y'know, bitches be splooshing."

I apologise for not keeping it to the Doctor Who thread, but I don't post in there because it is wall to wall autists listing their favourite prop by size, colour, and which branch of Wicks the supplies were bought from. In reverse and turnwise order.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 29, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yoshifan823 posted:

no you loving liar

It's a cool show for cool guys that deadpool should watch

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

IRQ posted:

I didn't like the part where it's set in purgatory.
Whaaat? The Steve Guttenberg episode was the best.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

"Hello, I am Stephen Moffat and I am going to respond to criticism of Clara's lack of personality (and persistent rumours of my own misogyny) by having her be defined soley by her new boyfriend. Who is a soldier, and soldiers are bad. Baby killers rarg. See how I am making an incredibly unsubtle and, frankly, crass analogy to the dichotomy of the Doctor's personality? Haha yes, I'm a loving genius.

Hello, my name is Goony McGoonerson, and, as a upstanding feminist and progressive poster at Something Awful dot com, I would like to submit my official objection to Doctor Who's Clara Oswald character for failing to live up to my totally not arbitrary and unrealistic standards for Perfect Female Protagonist. Please note that while I throw the term 'misogyny' around constantly, I am allowed to insult and belittle female characters for exhibiting normal feminine traits and interests because, as I said, I'm a feminist and that's what all good feminists do.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Irish Joe posted:

Hello, my name is Goony McGoonerson, and, as a upstanding feminist and progressive poster at Something Awful dot com, I would like to submit my official objection to Doctor Who's Clara Oswald character for failing to live up to my totally not arbitrary and unrealistic standards for Perfect Female Protagonist. Please note that while I throw the term 'misogyny' around constantly, I am allowed to insult and belittle female characters for exhibiting normal feminine traits and interests because, as I said, I'm a feminist and that's what all good feminists do.

lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The whole PTSD thing is dumb because he's British and British soldiers don't do poo poo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Why don't you let us know again which races of women turn to poo poo and by what age again.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

I don't think he said he was feminist anywhere in his post. I think you're stupid. :)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Irish Joe just plays stupid as part of a tired forums gimmick. Behind the façade he's actually just racist and creepy.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Yoshifan823 posted:

I dunno what's ironic about it, but it is pretty lovely, yeah.

From what I've seen of Girls she harps on unpaid internships and similar lovely practices regularly. That's what I was alluding to.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Does Californication get less awful? I'm on season 2 now and I still want just about everybody except Pamela Adlon to die horrible, horrible deaths. And here's something I never thought I'd ever say but, especially the 16-year-old.

Tits are great though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
People always become their personas. For instance i'm Cú Chulainn.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

I haven't watched any of the new fall premieres, can someone trustworthy (ie anyone who liked Rectify, for example) tell me which ones to make a priority? Obviously Sleepy Hollow, but what about new shows?

The only new show I've liked so far is Forever, it seems like it could go places.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm looking forward to Flash and I enjoyed Forever.

Oh yeah, Flash too. I watched the pilot when it was leaked over the summer and it's a strong one too.

IRQ posted:

I didn't like the part where it's set in purgatory.

The purgatory that the Party Down characters are in is only a figurative one :v:

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 29, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Joes are trolling each other, some kind of singularity has been achieved.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Anybody here watch Transparent?

I watched the first episode back when they previewed it. Didn't care for it at all. Now two of the other shows they picked up, Mozart in the Jungle and Bosch, are very high on my must see list when they release in a few months.

Also get that Dr Who poo poo out of this thread. Nobody sane wants to read about Dr Who.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

I watched the first episode back when they previewed it. Didn't care for it at all. Now two of the other shows they picked up, Mozart in the Jungle and Bosch, are very high on my must see list when they release in a few months.

I'm game for Mozart, but I am absolutely loving primed for Bosch, and wish they would hurry up and announce a release date already.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I really enjoyed Red Band Society but nobody wants to see "the breakfast club" with dying kids so it will be cancelled.

I found "How to get away with murder" to be pretty boring and Gotham was alright.

I haven't watched Forever or Blackish yet though.

I enjoyed Scorpion but it's a little silly.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The only pilot I've really liked so far was How to Get Away With Murder. It's set at a law school, where the professor (Viola Davis) is a practicing defense attorney, and unlike most defense attorney shows, the client is pretty clearly guilty. The opening five minutes of the pilot has four students panicking because they've just murdered someone, and it flashes back three months, then goes back and forth all episode.
Oh yeah I forgot about this too. Thanks for the recommendation.

The Duke posted:

Hiroyuki Sanada has played an infuriatingly cryptic and withholding douche in like the last 5 things I've seen him in.
I just remembered him on EXTANT and holy poo poo you're right he's been typecast real hard

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Okay, so I have a crazy idea.

I'm currently on the Lost Finale, I haven't watched it yet. This is it. This is the final episode, the sort of make it or break it deal that everyone here has argued about for the last four years.

Anybody up for joining me in the IRC tomorrow, Tuesday September 30th at 9 pm EST, for a live watch/rewatch of the :lost: finale? I think it might be a lot of fun.

money worship
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This thread would be so much better if people weren't be allowed to talk about anime, children's cartoons, Korra, or Doctor Who.

money worship fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 30, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Here is why doctor who is a cool guy show deadpool

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deadpool posted:

Also get that Dr Who poo poo out of this thread. Nobody sane wants to read about Dr Who.

September 29th, 2014 is the day I will always remember as the day I found out that I was insane. It all began...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently David Fincher is directing the entire first season of the HBO version of Utopia.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
After the first season I thought an American remake of Utopia would be completely pointless, but after the sorta repetitive but still good second season (aside from the actually very good and fresh first episode) I can see the room for improvement and exploring the premise in different ways in a longer story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Please go back to your thread and leave this one. Thanks.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I blitzed my way through all 10 episodes of Transparent. What a fantastic series. I hope it gets the acclaim and attention it deserves. Jeffrey Tambor better win an Emmy for his performance as the most believable transgender woman in TV yet. Most believable transgender woman going through a transition, no less, which is the remarkable part. It's treated with the utmost respect. Gaby Hoffmann probably deserves an Emmy too. I hope Transparent becomes a huge hit akin to other outside-the-box programming like Orange is the New Black. Now go watch it. Everyone. All of you.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 30, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Toxxupation posted:

Why does Martha live on the set of a late-Nineties Disney show?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Decius posted:

Why does Martha live on the set of a late-Nineties Disney show?
Because she is so Raven.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Fooz posted:

Lena Dunham at first makes me want to applaud a (comparatively) unattractive person for having success in hollywood, but then I remember that she's a middling talent who surfed a gnarly nepotism wave.

I am sure HBO execs were just dying to be in the good graces of her photographer mother.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 30, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lena has listened to the criticism and will now be paying those performers so suck it haters.

What's the deal with Gilmore Girls is it funny or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first 6 seasons are really good. It's also the whitest show ever.

The evil German blonde woman from Die Hard 3 does the music.

• Locked thread