Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

three episodes in. Few thoughts so far.

1: Woody Harrelson's character is a duchebag.

2: I am more interested in the case itself than his failing marriage.

3: The ending of episode 2 freaked me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hey, so my Netflix has been horribly de-synced on my computer. Does anyone know what steps I can take to fix this? It works just fine on my PS3

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

BigRed0427 posted:

2: I am more interested in the case itself

You are watching the wrong show, friend.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zaggitz posted:

Was there a thread for the first season of the british show Utopia? And is someone planning on making an s2 thread? It's starting up again in July.

We just talked about it in the UK thread last time. Also hell yeah Utopia is back woo!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't really care where they take the story, so long as it maintains the world class cinematography and the sense of abnormal menace. Such a good programme.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Now that Fargo is finished, the gf and I need a show to watch. Which one would be recommended?

Luther
Broadchurch
In The Flesh
Utopia
Black Mirror
Silicon Valley

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
They're all quite good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Utopia is coming back soon so it's a good time to catch up. It's only 6 or 7 episodes. David Fincher is doing a US remake.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deadpool posted:

I saw a commercial for some new show on Syfy that's about angels destroying the planet. On one hand it's probably (more likely definitely) going to be absolutely terrible but on the other hand I saw Christopher Egan from Kings in the commercial and I really liked him on that show and have not seen him in anything since. So I'm torn. Pretty sure I also saw Alan Dale too which makes me go against my better judgment and consider watching at least the first episode.

So I went against my better instincts and recorded this when it aired and finally found some time to watch it this morning. I'm not sure if it's because my expectations were so low or not but it was actually kind of alright. The acting is pretty good, the writing isn't bad at all, and it looks like the most expensive thing that has aired on Syfy in a long time. I'm not really sold on the show yet, but it was decent enough that I'll watch a couple more episodes to see where it's going.

I mentioned enjoying Christopher Egan in Kings before and honestly the setup of this show doesn't feel too far removed from that, except with the whole evil angel thing. Plus from the advertising I kind of expected him to be a side character and it seems as if he's the main character on the show which I am definitely fine with. The guy playing Michael though isn't that great which is a shame.

Also I've never seen the film it's based on so there doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for that. Everything is pretty well set up in the first few minutes so I didn't feel as if I missed anything by not seeing it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

GreenNight posted:

Now that Fargo is finished, the gf and I need a show to watch. Which one would be recommended?

Luther, but it's not like there are any lemons on that list.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They pretty much bring up everything from the movie that's relevant to the series. There is a pretty big retcon from the movie though, as in that it wasn't that God was absent but that He actually commanded the angels to kill humanity. He did give Michael an out with the whole messiah baby thing.

I was fairly impressed with the special effects for the show, especially for a Syfy channel original program. There weren't any crazy obvious greenscreens and the angel wings all looked fairly realistic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Deadpool posted:

Also I've never seen the film it's based on so there doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for that. Everything is pretty well set up in the first few minutes so I didn't feel as if I missed anything by not seeing it.

The movie was pretty uninspired and there's not much to miss. I caught the first few minutes of the show and they seemed to cover the very little mythology in the movie and you can get the basics of the movie idea easily (angels suck and are pretty monsterous, Michael's a good guy, and God is kind of an rear end in a top hat). The movie was really just a bad cliche horror film with monsters fighting people to the usual kind of horror result. There was just some interesting CGI.

It's just the idea the movie set up that's kind of interesting, but the movie itself didn't really deal much with that. It's basically a prelude.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Luther
Broadchurch
In The Flesh
Utopia
Black Mirror
Silicon Valley

Silicon Valley. Mike Judge.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I liked Dominion quite a bit, it's the sort of thing that's right up my alley. I'm going to pretend it's the alternate version Supernatural's history, where the Winchesters weren't around to stop the apocalypse.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I couldn't get over the idiotic decline of society into a Fallout style Caesar's Palace cargo cult. Within one generation.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GreenNight, check out Black Mirror and Silicon Valley.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I couldn't get over the idiotic decline of society into a Fallout style Caesar's Palace cargo cult. Within one generation.

I don't know, the idea that angels are real and have killed like 90% of the world's population would bring some rather large upheavals in society.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yes I agree. However I don't think people would base their entire society around the lobby of a shrine to tackiness.

And I think the god retcon hurts the story. The idea of a god saying "okay, this is your last chance, I don't really care any more but prove me wrong if you can" is a lot more interesting than "oops, god hosed off somewhere and the angels are pissy."

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 22, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Finished True Detectives. Wow, That was amazing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bown posted:

GreenNight, check out Black Mirror and Silicon Valley.

Sounds like a plan, thanks!

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'll give you that. The characters all referring to the Las Vegas as "Vega" was the biggest complaint I have against the show though, which isn't so bad.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I keep hearing variants of the phrase "dumb fun" being thrown around w/r/t The Last Ship. It rolls tonight at 9 ET on TNT.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Makes me sad that the Sunday TV lineup went from stacked to mostly barren within a few weeks.

Oh right, True Blood is back tonight. I guess that's sort of a TV show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Also Falling Skies.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hcreight posted:

Makes me sad that the Sunday TV lineup went from stacked to mostly barren within a few weeks.

No kidding, I somehow found myself watching Wipeout of all things. And I'll probably leave it on ABC to watch Rising Star, because I'm excited at taking one step closer to the fourth-wall-TV future depicted in Fahrenheit 451 where viewers are led to believe that they actually have some kind of interactivity with the shows they watch.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

raditts posted:

No kidding, I somehow found myself watching Wipeout of all things. And I'll probably leave it on ABC to watch Rising Star, because I'm excited at taking one step closer to the fourth-wall-TV future depicted in Fahrenheit 451 where viewers are led to believe that they actually have some kind of interactivity with the shows they watch.

I'm stuck in a house with this on the TV. gently caress it I'm all in for this shitfest. Someone better figure out how to goatse the live voting wall

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Watching the final season of True Blood begin.

Yeah I know, and I loving hate it, but I was there for all previous episodes/seasons of it. I deserve to see this piece of poo poo die at long last.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

Chris James 2 posted:

Watching the final season of True Blood begin.

Yeah I know, and I loving hate it, but I was there for all previous episodes/seasons of it. I deserve to see this piece of poo poo die at long last.

I'm surprised there isn't a thread.

Did they just kill off half the cast in the intro scene?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

GreenNight posted:

Also Falling Skies.

I said sometime back that Falling Skies was better than Defiance. But with this new episode of Failing Skies, I realize how wrong I truly was. Both are very mediocre, but this season's intro episode was absolutely horrendous. Do not watch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm stuck in a house with this on the TV. gently caress it I'm all in for this shitfest. Someone better figure out how to goatse the live voting wall

I didn't follow how they intend to tabulate votes for the west coast re-airing at all. Doesn't this whole thing kind of hinge on airing live?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

raditts posted:

I didn't follow how they intend to tabulate votes for the west coast re-airing at all. Doesn't this whole thing kind of hinge on airing live?

Pretty sure west coast votes don't count then. East coast bias :smugbird:

I liked the first guy, I could hear him in the background of some emotional final scene of a bad TV drama.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

They made a point in the commercials mentioning Mountain Time so I guess they just don't care about Pacific.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

I said sometime back that Falling Skies was better than Defiance. But with this new episode of Failing Skies, I realize how wrong I truly was. Both are very mediocre, but this season's intro episode was absolutely horrendous. Do not watch.

This episode is no worse than any other episode of Falling Skies.

Which is to say, it's bad, but what the gently caress else is on?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Illuen posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a thread.

The premiere just ended, and I'm not surprised. gently caress this shitshow. I'll never get the 71 hours I spent watching it back, and there's still 9 more hours to go. If you've never seen True Blood before, that's not a mistake, and it doesn't need correcting. Stay away.

VV Stopped reading after "pretty", but thanks for the unwanted critique, it'll go in handy with the DVDs (in the trash bin)

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 23, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

The premiere just ended, and I'm not surprised. gently caress this shitshow. I'll never get the 71 hours I spent watching it back, and there's still 9 more hours to go. If you've never seen True Blood before, that's not a mistake, and it doesn't need correcting. Stay away.

I thought it was pretty awesome and exactly what I expect from the show. Don't loving watch it if you hate it so much. This is no where near last season of Dexter bad.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

IRQ posted:

This episode is no worse than any other episode of Falling Skies.

Which is to say, it's bad, but what the gently caress else is on?

I actually thought the new episode of Falling Skies was one of the better ones.

Which, I'll admit, is still mediocre at best.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Chris James 2 posted:

VV Stopped reading after "pretty", but thanks for the unwanted critique, it'll go in handy with the DVDs (in the trash bin)

Meh, True Blood was never good TV, but it was often fun TV. I'm pretty surprised there's no thread for the last season.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Meh, True Blood was never good TV, but it was often fun TV. I'm pretty surprised there's no thread for the last season.

I agree, but then the last two seasons happened. It was never good, but at least when it was bad it was funny. The last few years have just been bad bad and chores to watch, but as I said, might as well see it through to the end.

I thought I saw a thread pop up a few weeks ago when one of the trailers came out (at least I remember something with True Blood in the title being there), but I can't seem to find it.

Was Falling Skies still bad?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
True Blood has been consistently entertaining for its entire run so far. I haven't watched this season's premiere yet but it seems kind of silly to me to say it was ever good and that it "went to poo poo". If anything, the more campy and ridiculous it got, the better, imo. Someone really ought to make a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Chris James 2 posted:

I agree, but then the last two seasons happened. It was never good, but at least when it was bad it was funny. The last few years have just been bad bad and chores to watch, but as I said, might as well see it through to the end.

I thought I saw a thread pop up a few weeks ago when one of the trailers came out (at least I remember something with True Blood in the title being there), but I can't seem to find it.

Was Falling Skies still bad?

Eh, the last season was actually one of the more entertaining ones in recent memory but it kind of fell apart in the end. TB is terrible with wrapping up plot lines. I... honestly didn't realize it started up again.

• Locked thread