Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Bown posted:

There are amazing intelligent dramas all over, cable comedy is in the middle of its best time ever, and all y'all wanna talk about is Marvel and DC's latest story-of-the-week cash grabs for 14 year olds. This is a dark time for TV IV. At least I always have the Sopranos thread.

Here's a little secret: we're all going to be dead one day so watch whatever the schlock you like so long as it makes you happy. I love The Wire and The Shield and binge-watch documentaries like they're going outta style but that doesn't preclude me from indulging in poo poo like The Flash or Law and Order: SVU.

Do you slap an airport-grade fictional book out of somebody's hand and yell at them for not reading Pynchon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, I just finished binging the first three seasons of Arrested Development. What's the optimal order to watch Season 4 in?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't really. But I guess air order?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hey, I just finished binging the first three seasons of Arrested Development. What's the optimal order to watch Season 4 in?

Air order. It's not as nonlinear as it was made out to be, and the fan-made chronological edit shows why.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Watch them in the given order. Just keep in mind that each episode focuses on a different character (even though others may appear), and the first few episodes are not as engaging as what you've seen in Seasons 1-3 (especially the ones that focus on George Senior and Lindsey).

But power through them, because they set up some key scenes that will pay off later. And you definitely want to make it to the GOB, George Michael, Maeby, and Buster episodes, which are all toward the end.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Metropolis posted:

Is any good drama stuff in the middle of airing now? Yeah this year has had some fantastic stuff but for the past few months no dramas have really grabbed me. Whereas cleverly stupid or so bad it's good or dumb but fun TV like Sleepy Hollow, Gotham, and SHIELD. Yeah there's better shows but we're not gonna talk about Fargo and True Detective all the time in the chat thread half a year after they aired.

I guess I was more depressed about the best shows of the year thread. But I am also being hyperbolic! I always forget that doesn't come across as well when presented alongside some of the actual crazies we have on SA.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

I just signed up for Amazon Prime and am now exploring the video options. Does Amazon Prime for some reason not support playing episodes continuously? I have to go back to the main menu and find the next one?

If you hover your mouse over the video when the credits start rolling, you can hit the "Next up" button and go to the next episode. But yeah it's annoying as gently caress if you let an episode completely finish then it'll kick you back to a main menu or something.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Metropolis posted:

Is any good drama stuff in the middle of airing now? Yeah this year has had some fantastic stuff but for the past few months no dramas have really grabbed me. Whereas cleverly stupid or so bad it's good or dumb but fun TV like Sleepy Hollow, Gotham, and SHIELD. Yeah there's better shows but we're not gonna talk about Fargo and True Detective all the time in the chat thread half a year after they aired.
Person of Interest?

Person of Interest.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Deadpool when are you gonna mod challenge Bown to watch all the CW shows so he can shut up and start having fun with the rest of us.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Alternatively challenge anyone who thinks a CW show is the best of the year to read a freakin' book am I rite

Has anyone actually watched the entire AD season 4 chronological edit? How does it hold up?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I much cursed Amazon Prime for having the worst interface for binge-watching during my free month.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

I much cursed Amazon Prime for having the worst interface for binge-watching during my free month.

I can't figure why they don't auto-play because it continuously plays if you buy a season pass for something.

I know they're, like, Wal-Mart-level stingy. Are they so stingy that a video autoplaying to no one pisses them off?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Hulu (the app, at least) annoys me for the opposite reason. When the last aired episode ends, some other show I don't watch starts up. I've never seen half the shows in the "Shows You Watch" list.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

PostNouveau posted:

I can't figure why they don't auto-play because it continuously plays if you buy a season pass for something.

I know they're, like, Wal-Mart-level stingy. Are they so stingy that a video autoplaying to no one pisses them off?

Are they stingy about the bandwidth? I guess the Fire Phone and tablets have bombed.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Lycus posted:

Hulu (the app, at least) annoys me for the opposite reason. When the last aired episode ends, some other show I don't watch starts up. I've never seen half the shows in the "Shows You Watch" list.

Do you let people you know log onto your Hulu account?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Do you let people you know log onto your Hulu account?

No, there's no mystery there, I know what happens.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Whenever I hear someone praise Nikita as the high water mark of action television I just take a deep breathe, remind myself that I was young and stupid once, and move on with my life. This board's obsession with the CW is something most posters will grow out of. Just give them the time and space to do it.

Bown posted:

Has anyone actually watched the entire AD season 4 chronological edit? How does it hold up?

Who cares? Might as well wait until Hurwitz releases his chronological edit next year.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Irish Joe posted:

Whenever I hear someone praise Nikita as the high water mark of action television

It's actually Banshee (Nikita '10 is a close second, though).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

It's actually Banshee (Nikita '10 is a close second, though).

Unironically agree with Banshee

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna third that, despite not finding the time to finish season 2. Like, what's so fun about the same old boring superhero stuff mixed with love triangles or whatever? Banshee is actual "fun" TV. It's loving insane and even when people aren't getting their asses kicked it has crazy poo poo like people filling a dude's hot tub with blood and guts while he's in it with ladies, and also the Amish.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Bown posted:

It's loving insane and even when people aren't getting their asses kicked it has crazy poo poo like people filling a dude's hot tub with blood and guts while he's in it with ladies, and also the Amish.

this sounds as boring and lame as you think superhero shows sound

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess I forgot to mention that the Amish are rad gangsters?????

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Bown posted:

I guess I forgot to mention that the Amish are rad gangsters?????

As well as deranged sexual deviants and psychopaths

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yes, yes, we've all seen TLC's "Amish Mafia."

Abel Wingnut posted:

I just signed up for Amazon Prime and am now exploring the video options. Does Amazon Prime for some reason not support playing episodes continuously? I have to go back to the main menu and find the next one?

Amazon Prime Video has a garbage interface, as you have no doubt learned already.

PostNouveau posted:

They're so stingy that they will only make certain episodes of certain seasons of certain shows watchable without purchasing the entire season outright, and they will give you no indication of which episodes of which seasons are watchable for "free" (read: with merely your $100 Prime subscription).

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 16, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vanderdeath posted:

Do you slap an airport-grade fictional book out of somebody's hand and yell at them for not reading Pynchon?

Yeah but he keeps making movies of them. :negative:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The correct order is to tweet it at the president, hth

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe what is the high watermark of action television

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Irish Joe what is the high watermark of action television

Hmmm, Irish Joe-est answer? Thunder in Paradise or VIP.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

No that's way too obvious. It'd be something people have vaguely heard of like Human Target or Fastlane.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Human Target was good though, well, the non-Chuckified part.

I considered Fastlane, but it lacks the star power of Pam Anderson and Hulk Hogan.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

Excuse me, but I'm actually one of the few people around here with taste.

24, Spartacus and Alias are definitely high water marks of the action genre. I'm also going to throw this out there and you might think I'm crazy, but Batman (the Adam West version) has a ton of amazing physical sequences. Not the fist fights, of course, but the simple practical stunts--like climbing up the side of a building or jumping on top of physical objects--you just don't see on tv anymore.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Strike Back, best action show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I sure hope you're putting Strike Back and Braquo above 24.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You're assuming anyone has seen either of those shows.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You need a hug mate, for real.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Is a hug mate the platonic version of a gently caress buddy

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't actually remember Alias having a notable amount of action.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Sober posted:

Person of Interest?

Person of Interest.

PoI owns and I'm watching it, I just neglected to mention it in my post because I was looking for more "prestige drama" type stuff like the guy I was responding to seemed to be talking about. PoI's more like a procedural on steroids.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Alias had a lot of low key action which is appropriate for a show about a 100lbs woman fighting 250lbs guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

Really? You forgot how The Forehead gets all slutted up and goes to a eurotrash nightclub that is a front for an evil syndicate and fights 20 dudes in every single episode?

• Locked thread