Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching through 3rd Rock From The Sun, and I'll be damned if I missed the boat on having a crush on Larisa Oleynik, she was adorable.

And after a quick Google, still is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is anyone watching this year's Last Comic Standing? There aren't any recognizable names in the contestants, but the judges are Russell Peters, Roseanne Barr and Keenan Ivory Wayans, which is probably the best set of judges the show has ever had.

Also, it's really worth it because despite the reality show's general nature, there have been a bunch of great comics to come out of LCS: Todd Glass, Doug Benson, Amy Schumer, Josh Blue, and in the previous season Myq Kaplan, Mike DeStefano (rip), James Adomian and Tommy Johnagin all competed. Guy Braunam was apparently auditioning, but they didn't take him, which is weird because A: He's famous-ish and B: He's funny.

edit:

Decius posted:

The question is how long it still will feature excellent web journalism. Polygon, belonging to Vox, just let go three people, who were specifically tasked with writing long and deep pieces with the stated goal that it will feature less of this stuff.
The Verge, another subsite of Vox also reduced their in-depth stuff for more and more clickbait for the last few months. And Vox itself was very clickbaity from day one. I'd rather have seen him on The Disolve.

Also, with him gone and all the writers fired over the last year from The A.V. Club, is there any reason to visit it still?

The guys who do the news are often very funny, and they do the AV Undercover series which is cool because I love covers.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I watched most of Alpha House. It was really good. John Goodman is a good actor.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey you fuckers, y'all were so busy slobbering over the knobs of dumb dramas with dumb openings that are dumb that you forgot what may well be the objective Best TV Openings Of All Time (in order):

1. All in the Family
2. Cheers
3. The Brady Bunch
4. Gilligan's Island
End List

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

You mean the anchor was played by Anna Kendrick

gently caress you for making me click that link until I realized Anna Kendrick wasn't gonna show up. She's too busy filming Musical Movies and sequels to surprisingly successful acapella-based comedies to show up in a sketch show.

Also, Nathan for You is the best show on Television right now, and I don't think there's a single show that can surprise and excite me as much as Nathan Fielder does on a weekly basis. God bless that weird, geeky little man.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but that year is 1997.

Actually, it's every year between 1997 and 2014, except for the year that Pikmin 2 came out, because that poo poo owns. Nintendowns.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Two and a Half Men is taking the "insensitivity crown" away from Last Man Standing with a Fake Gay Marriage.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

When it premiered, Glee was about a bunch of theater nerds and their 30 year old teacher. Song selection reflected that, featuring a lot of Broadway showtunes and standards from the 80s and 90s. It wasn't until they started chasing iTunes sales in the second and third seasons that it became a top 40s shitfest.

There were some pop songs in the first season, but not nearly as many as later. Remember, the fourth episode had a football team dancing to Single Ladies to distract their opponents long enough for Kurt to kick the game winning field goal.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What loving evil genius at Adult Swim greenlit a multi-cam sitcom starring Jack McBrayer and Triumph, with supporting actress June Squibb?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DivisionPost posted:

I'm pretty sure the lead guy in You're the Worst researched SA to find inspiration for his character.

Does he carry printers for cute girls, or just cum in a vase?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deadpool posted:

Somebody saw the Wiener Circle clip from Conan and got a really good idea.

That is literally the clip they showed before the panel.

Also, in other SDCC news, Dan Harmon looks like a loving caveman.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And now there is a panel for Mike Tyson Mysteries, complete with the man himself.

What I wouldn't give to watch a conversation between Tyson and Dan Harmon.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DivisionPost posted:

Judd Apatow is creating a new Netflix show. http://deadline.com/2014/09/judd-apatow-comedy-series-netflix-paul-rust-gillian-jacobs-star-829825/

The premise sounds bland as poo poo -- Paul Rust (who co-created), Gillian Jacobs, something something commitment issues -- but I always trust the artist over the premise. They've already given it two seasons; it'll go up in 2016.

Apatow is always so long-winded and episodic with his movies, a Netflix TV show is the perfect outlet. Funny People and This is 40 were way too long, and even Knocked Up could use some punching up.

Not 40-Year-Old Virgin though, that movie is basically perfect.

edit: I apparently have 5 mutual friends on Facebook with Paul Rust. I'm getting closer to Kevin Bacon every day.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 17, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mindy Project is actually not terrible so far this year. I didn't have to hear that godawful theme song, there was an entire scene about cunnilingus, and the 9PM EST Fox block has turned into a stealth Happy Endings reunion now that Damon Wayans Jr. and Adam Pally are in back-to-back shows. Little things.

Also, the previews for Red Band Society mixed with previews for Fault in Our Stars makes me think that every episode will end with me crying and hugging a blanket. I'll pass for now.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

You think that DC doesn't have a thumb on what their movies look like or end up being? The fact that you have a corporation wide mandate to have "no jokes", and now a steady effort to ape the Nolan brand of grit and grim tells you different. Marvel had GotG and Cap America 2 this year, both movies showing creators pushing the boundaries of main stream movie making ("limited" by a need for a good ending, interesting characters, and sharp dialogue).

What's the last good DC movie? The Dark Knight. It feels like DC is suffocating itself. And the CW shows (I guess, really only the one) has its own formula as well, which I personally can't stand watching.

Maybe this is a better convo to have in a movie thread?

Nerds poo poo themselves over this whole "no jokes" thing, but completely missed the point. Marvel's whole schtick is keeping a distance from treating superheroes as more than human, instead treating them as real people. This is how it has worked since The Fantastic Four #1 back in the early sixties, and this has made them a lot of money at times, and arguably, the times when they were least successful (cough early nineties cough) were when they got away from it. Their movies work in the same way, but because movies and comics are very different beasts, it means that, tonally, Marvel's movies are going to be similar. Iron Man, Thor, Cap, Guardians, all of them have roughly the same vaguely serious but there's still time for plenty of of snappy Whedon-esque one-liners tone, to varying degrees (obviously Cap 2 is more serious than Guardians, but the difference isn't all that stark compared to, say, Man of Steel).

DC, on the other hand, has in their hands the closest thing American culture has to mythological characters in Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and the like. And Man of Steel and Dark Knight, for their flaws (and they do have some, neither movie is perfect), really nails "mature" in a way that DC Comics has never been able to do, because DC Comics equates "mature" with "a poo poo load of blood, tits, and rape". Man of Steel and Dark Knight are much more "mature" superhero movies, but not in the way that comic readers want, which is a turnoff for them. Man of Steel is a good movie, but got a shitload of backlash because it was decidedly not the movie that the people who didn't like it wanted. They want Superman seen through the same lens as Iron Man, Thor, Cap, and that just doesn't work, because Superman is a character who has so much more weight to him, and any movie with him has to have that proper weight. That doesn't necessarily mean entirely serious like Man of Steel was, because I don't think you'll find too many people arguing that Richard Donner's Superman isn't a great Superman movie as well.

So basically, "no jokes" doesn't mean "not a single moment of funny in the entire movie", especially considering Man of Steel ends with a few pretty funny lines, but it's not the same sort of "wit" that permeates the MCU.

Spatula City posted:

I don't care about the cohesion of the Marvel universe versus the DC universe or any bullshit like that, I just want good movies and good TV shows. Agents of SHIELD is a bad TV show. Arrow is a very good one. So, as far as I'm concerned, DC might be losing on the movie front, but they're winning on the TV front.

Yes. "cohesion" and "canon" are, when you're talking about the quality of a work, largely bullshit. That's less the case here in TV-land, where canon is much more important, but I don't care if you have a show that connects to five different movies and adds new dimensions to my favorite movies or whatever, if that show isn't enjoyable to watch, it's not enjoyable to watch, period.

edit: Man of Steel is not better than all of the MCU movies, but it is better than pretty much all of them, probably save Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. And it's definitely a much better movie visually, because Zack Snyder is a loving phenomenal visual director.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MrAristocrates posted:

The problem with that reading is that Superman has no morals. He's totally blank in that regard. His killing of Zod has no impact because not only did he just cause billions in property damage, killing who knows how many people in the process (don't give me that "evacuated" crap, the movie goes out of its way to show namless extras getting brutally killed earlier), we have no idea who this guy is. He never forms an identity of his own.

Superman didn't kill those people. They died, but Zod was the one responsible.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Rhea Perlman is on The Mindy Project!

NOOOOO THAT loving SONG STOP IT MINDY PROJECT YOU'RE HURTING MEEEEEE

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hcreight posted:

You know who we haven't complained about in a while? Lena Dunham. And this time it's bullshit she most definitely deserves to be called out for.

Lena Dunham killed irony.

I dunno what's ironic about it, but it is pretty lovely, yeah.

You know what's awesome? Party Down. Y'all fuckers can have your Breaking Bad or The Wire or whatever, Party Down is better than pretty much everything.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

You know what's a cool show? Doctor who, that's a cool show

Deadpool you should watch doctor who

no you loving liar

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I do not care what any of you people think, Modern Family is still one of the most well written shows on TV.

edit: The Dunphy parts, anyways. The other two thirds are still very good, but I'd watch hours upon hours of Phil, Hailey and Luke doing everything together.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

Sounds like Madam Secretary should become an American warlord

Wait until 2016.

Also, I'm watching the Selfie pilot, and while Karen Gillan still cannot act, the show itself is a nice followup to Suburgatory. ABC missed a big ol' chance to have Carly Chaikin (Dahlia Royce) play Eliza Dooley, because she was born to say Emily Kapnek's dialogue.

edit: This is the most twee thing I've ever seen.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

I don't think I've ever seen Carly Chaikin outside of being Dahlia so I dunno if I should now.

I haven't but I've seen her play the ür-Eliza for three seasons, that's good enough.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thank god she yelled at Henry, I thought the show was just gonna let him keep getting away with being the most obnoxious douche known to man.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

So you think Modern Family is better than Parks and Rec, Its Always Sunny, Louie, Veep, 30 Rock, or any other good comedy show in the last handful of years?

30 Rock won plenty, and it's definitely a better comedy than Louie (though i dunno if i'd say better show).

It's got as many great episodes as Parks and Veep for sure, and the best episodes are some of the best comedic TV writing I've ever seen. Like, Frasier/Cheers/I Love Lucy level quality.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Black-ish wins the "best moment of pilot season" award for the LA Tourism (When You're Black) pitch.

edit: I'm 100% on the side of the people who were calling Black-ish the best pilot of the season, because it definitely is. It's Cosby as poo poo, but where Cosby was set in a world where Black Culture and Culture were two very separate things, Black-ish is set in a world where Black Culture is very much the "in" culture, and having the show deal directly with that instead of kind of floating around it like a lot of shows about a particular culture do, or worse, just give in to the very base stereotypes (Goldbergs, while very funny, does exactly that). I think there are probably some very intelligent people working on the writing staff of Black-ish (I cannot stress enough how killer that first LA Tourism pitch video was, complete with a clip of OJ's white Bronco), and I'm more excited to see where this goes than any other show this season, especially because NBC seems to be doubling down on the whole "PEOPLE IN LOVE" bullshit (sorry Cristin Miloti, Casey Wilson and Ken Marino).

Edit2: also, beginning your show with quite possibly the best Kanye West song earns hella bonus points.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 2, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Snoopy posted:

TNT's 2012 Dallas reboot has shuffled off to that great Oil Baron Mansion in The Sky.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/03/dallas-canceled-by-tnt/

That show was on borrowed time the moment Larry Hagman (RIP) left this mortal coil.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My roommate watched A to Z and hated it, so I had to subject myself to it, also because Cristin Miloti is adorable, and what do I hear to lead off the show? A monologue ripped straight from the beginning of (500) Days of Summer.

edit: aaaaaahhhhhh now the girl is talking about how destiny isn't real and the dude is overly romantic this is 500 days of summer when did JGL get so ugly

edit: The end saved it, Cristin Miloti is a great actress and the dumb romantic side of me that liked 500DoS and HIMYM loved that scene at the concert.

That said, the end of the episode, where Katey Segal (another rip from HIMYM, but lady version) says "they will date for 8 months, 23 days, and one hour" is the most obvious fake-out in history, they get engaged/married/some other word for "not dating" at the end of the season.

And the second episode starts with the male lead walking in to work with happy music playing in his head. Not Hall and Oates, but still, the moment they go to Ikea and have fake conversations is the moment the writers of (500) Days of Summer file a suit with the WGA.

edit: Selfie owns.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 11, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone on Mulaney is apparently incapable of acting without mugging for the camera or repeating their lines like a punchline of a joke, and only Martin Short pulls it off.

edit: Also it could not be ripping off Seinfeld harder unless it had a character that entered the apartment funnily.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Boy howdy Manhattan Love Story is just the most boring thing I've ever seen.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Postal Parcel posted:

Yes
This dinner party is awful.

But this gay guy is kind of funny. How do you miss a picture where he is kissing another man.

He's funny, but the whole "gay or european" thing reached it's peak in Legally Blonde the Musical, and is now played out.

Also, while the show is lame and boring, most of the actors are pretty charming, especially the female lead. Still way worse than A to Z though.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Shonda Rhimes just showed up in Mindy Project to play beer pong with Adam Pally.

edit: I cannot stress enough how much better a show Mindy Project is now than it was.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

When I read about DC's years-long plans to do "the Marvel thing", including actual loving Aquaman film and of all things Shazam, I can't help but picture a few years from now and a bunch of projects getting dumped direct-to-video and being awful.

It's like they're assuming that they can just translate the Batman (and Man of Steel, I guess) success onto any property without the understanding that Marvel did which was "let's make sure we hire good writers and directors first".

Yeah, Zack Snyder, Chris Nolan and David Ayers are not good directors.

edit: The smartest thing any comedy writer can do is let Casey Wilson talk. It doesn't matter what about, or in what context, but I want to watch her talk endlessly.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 16, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Goofus hires Zack Snyder! Gallant hires James Gunn. :cool:

Goofus has creative differences with Edgar Wright, ending their work relationship. Gallant lets Zack Snyder do whatever the gently caress he wants, under the watchful eye of Chris Nolan.

Goofus manages to make Edward Norton be in the right in an editing room conflict, ending their work relationship. Gallant lets Ben Affleck bring his own guy on board, because you should really trust the dudes who made Argo.

Goofus makes a lame TV show that has interconnecting story links to it's movie universe! Gallant makes TV shows of varying qualities that live or die on the actual quality of the show, and keeps their movie poo poo separate.

(Agents of SHIELD would not have gotten a second season were it not the most synergetic synergy to ever have synergized)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Neighbors say "But Yoshifan823 was always such a nice person. We had no idea they'd just... just snap like that..."

Police say the investigation is "not entirely" closed but that there are currently "no other suspects".

I'm Rod Stawyers, KPFA Eyewitness News. Jan?

Just wait until they find my manifesto. 500 handwritten pages all about how dumb Thor is.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

At least 80 pages are devoted to Female Thor I'm guessing.

Movie, not comic books. I do spend a solid 10 pages on Kat Dennings being representative of US/Norwegian relationships in the modern era.

edit: I'm talking Unabomber manifesto, not creepy MRA manifesto.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not gonna lie, when Cristin Miloti said that she used to be married on last night's A to Z, I really wanted her to reveal that she was married to a nice guy in New York, had a couple kids, and faked her death to escape to LA.

Naturally, this didn't happen, but drat if there weren't 30 seconds I was so hopeful.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fooz posted:

I watched the Marry Me pilot, and the challenger joke was one of my favorite one-liners ever.

The second episode is even better.

"I've never lived with a woman before. Well, except for Danielle. But she was Daniel when I lived with her. Hey, you remember Danny? Always putting money in that jar labeled VAGINA? He bought a vagina."

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I guess most of y'all have gotten tired of Modern Family. I thought I was too but this season has been really good again actually.

Nah, this year and last have been really good and funny, and the show is good and funny.

Speaking of good and funny, I've formed an emotional connection with A to Z, and it will hurt that much more when it inevitably gets cancelled. Cristin Miloti doing a deposition-eulogy was adorable, and I wish we had seen more.

And in the polar opposite direction: Last Man Standing did an episode about a school merger between the school that Tim Allen's kids go to, and an underpriviliged, underfunded inner city school. I want to look, but I definitely don't want to look.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I don't really remember last time I watched the show on the regular, I don't even know if I saw much of last season. Lily has grown up to be remarkably funny though, and the bit in the latest episode where everyone thought Phil and Claire were swingers was amazing.

e: And Luke has gotten huge :stare:

I loved Luke for the first few years, but he's kinda regressed to the average, but Haley is my MVP for the past year or so, the character has a clear direction and Sarah Hyland has stepped up her game. Ty Burrell is, of course, the best, but that goes without saying.

I'm watching the pilot for Cristela, and this show is so much better than I expected. The first scene at the law office was great, and while the character is a bit of a mouth piece for the real Cristela, but of course, any show that shares the name of it's creator is gonna do that, and this is a drat sight better than Mulaney.

The best part of the whole thing is the interview between Rich Scary Lawyer Man and Cristela. The brief moment when she sees him put on the Good Ol' Boy voice when he's on the phone is worth a thousand Mulaney pilots. And they found the best dorky white guy.

edit: Kay Cannon is a consulting producer on Cristela, which explains the quality. Kay Cannon is a funny lady.

edit2: That sounds bad, attributing the success of a latino-led and created sitcom to a white lady.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fooz posted:

Marry me is just alternate universe Happy Endings and I love it.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're getting another cast with as much talent as that show had... like, ever again. All six of them immediately either landed pilots or slipped into Fox sitcom casts.

edit: My new secret dream is that there's a Cristela/Last Man Standing crossover that ends with Cristela punching Tim Allen in the balls for 10 minutes straight.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 26, 2014

• Locked thread