Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Then you missed one of the bravest episodes I've ever seen on US TV. That season ended better than it started by quite a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Spatula City posted:

I just finished the first season of Farscape yesterday, and I did not expect it to be THAT good. This show is better than Star Trek in all the ways that matter, holy poo poo. Better than all of the Star Treks, except maybe the original series. The characters drive the plot, and they are such strong characters, at that, multifaceted and dynamic. And, jesus christ, how did they make puppets so expressive? Rygel and Pilot are incredible feats of design. The Nerve/The Hidden Memory two-parter is as thrilling as anything I've seen from a sci-fi show, easily comparable to the Chain of Command two-parter from TNG.
Also worth mentioning, Farscape is unusually strong in terms of female characters, with Aeryn and Zhaan both being complex, rounded inviduals with agency, and from what little we see of Chiana in the first season, she seems that way as well. Also RIP PK Tech Girl. :smith:

Farscape got more life, emotion, and complexity out of a poorly moulded bit of rubber than almost anything I saw in Star Trek's human actors. It's a really brave piece of scifi that exudes passion from every element of the production. A wonderful contrast to the staid reverence Trek has for its own mediocrity.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't really care where they take the story, so long as it maintains the world class cinematography and the sense of abnormal menace. Such a good programme.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I couldn't get over the idiotic decline of society into a Fallout style Caesar's Palace cargo cult. Within one generation.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yes I agree. However I don't think people would base their entire society around the lobby of a shrine to tackiness.

And I think the god retcon hurts the story. The idea of a god saying "okay, this is your last chance, I don't really care any more but prove me wrong if you can" is a lot more interesting than "oops, god hosed off somewhere and the angels are pissy."

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 22, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cardboard Box A posted:

So tonight's episode of NBC's "Taxi Brooklyn" looks and sounds and feels like one of those fake NBC parody shows from the Community Finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13HbQbTM1F0

I thought you must be overselling it, but no, that really does look like TV cancer.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Eggman and Guyelmo Guy teaming up to superhero Silent Hill back from lovely western mediocrity is amazing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

GreenNight posted:

Sounds like bullshit to me, for we'd probably have heard it before if it was true.

They're pushing it as an FBI thing when actually 'legend' meaning an agent's false identity is donkeys years old and not confined to the US security community. I heard it at least twenty years ago in the UK.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've just watched the first episode of Legends and yeahhh, the Ali Larter stuff is one of the laziest and creepiest uses of an acrtess I've seen in a long time. She's introduced as the hero's boss, but is immediately shown to have no real authority over him, then it's revealed that she sleeps with subordinates (the hero), and then she falls through a plot hole into a stripper bar where she's in lingerie.
Contrast that to the first (I believe) episode of Heroes where Ali Larter also appears writhing around in her undies, but then it is revealed that she's a single parent reduced to doing that as a way of providing for her son.

There's a world of difference in the context behind the two basic premises of "let's put Ali Larter in skimpies it'll be hot." Legends has other problems with bad writing (primarily far too much exposition), but the portrayal of Larter's character is atrocious.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've just watched the first episode of Intruders, that is some good TV. Lots of intrigue, some immediate answers, and solid acting all around.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It wasn't a specific show, it was more readily available spoilers. A lot of people 'calling it now' do it to make themselves seem prescient, for some reason.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm very glad it ended where it did. You could see what was coming next season. It was already speeding drunkenly through a French tunnel of suspended disbelief towards a concrete pillar of overwrought preposterousness.

I'm glad it was axed before it could go full Third Watch. I'm just sad that it went down that route to begin with.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I can't remember what season it was, but I stopped watching SoA after the episode with someone's daughter in a pit, and the worst delivery of "no" since Episode III. The show had become absolute poo poo long before then, but that scene was the culmination of awful acting and Kurt Sutter's perverse need to (try) be shocking as a replacement for good writing.

Really, SoA could have been something special if only Sutter had had someone standing over his shoulder saying "no, that is poo poo, stop writing poo poo you leather daddy psycho fetishist gently caress." But he didn't, so it just devolves into the escapist racist power fantasy of a really deeply unpleasant egotist.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was going to call you sick, but then I remembered that I've been thinking about re-watching Prison Break (which actually is better than SoA).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Deadpool posted:

I really like Prison Break a lot because it had a ton of great characters in it despite how wacky it got at times. I'd say the hardest part to get through for me was season two. Season one is pretty crazy but in a fun way. Season two is crazy and unfortunately kind of takes itself a bit too seriously at the same time. Season three is an improvement but still plays it a little too straight at times. Season four the gloves are off and it's full on crazy time, but the best part is that the show knows exactly how crazy it is now. And it kind of turns into a heist show at this point which makes it even more fun. Then the series finale ends with a flash forward of sorts that's filled in later by a movie. I still think that last movie is one of the better parts of the series though I think I may be in the minority with that opinion.

Yeah, that's the vitally important thing about Prison Break, good characters and a self-aware writing staff. So despite being absolute bollocks it works within its own setting and you care about what happens. Contrast that to SoA where every character is a charmless sack of poo poo and Kurt Sutter thinks that he is some sort of super cool biker Shakespeare.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Though I intended to sit down and watch the pilot for Utopia on Fox, I accidentally acquired a UK series by the same name. I figured what the hell, I'll try it anyway.

What. The. gently caress.

Has anyone seen this show? That was some crazy poo poo. Do yourself a favor and watch this pilot, and go in knowing absolutely nothing about it, like I just did, because I don't like feeling this way alone. That poo poo was off the wall bananas. Like, some hosed up poo poo.

Please, tell me someone in this thread has seen this show, and if so, should I keep watching it?

It's a genuine masterpiece of television cinematography. If you liked the pilot then stick with it, it gets more interesting and a lot darker as it goes forward. I thought the second series was absolutely on a par with the first, which was a relief. The core premise of the story is also really really interesting and thought provoking.

It was the best new drama of last year, and what little criticism that I've seen of it almost always boils down to "I'm a babby who cannot cope with dark storytelling."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Annakie posted:

Done.

You just made my dog cry.

Don't do that to your doge. Give it an even cut all over and it looks like a cross between a teddy bear and a sheep.

Toy Poodle supremacy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
His wife had cancer relatively recently, probably slowed things down a bit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He has stated that he has a 'sequel' to Moon planned. It's not a direct story follow on, just something happening in that universe after the events of Moon.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Martytoof posted:

Holy poo poo I just started watching Downton Abbey. Why the hell did nobody tell me this show was so loving good??

(everyone told me this show was so loving good :downs: )

It's a standard lovely ITV drama with a dash of "oh look wasn't everything lovely when the poors knew their place" that fools Americans, and normal people, people into thinking it isn't shallow predictable poo poo, for a little while at least

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Even with a narrow focus, to be meaningful a study of history has to have an appreciation of the broader context.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Penny Dreadful was interesting until Billie Piper appeared on screen. At the best of times she is to acting as used toilet paper is to napkins, but in Penny Dreadful she is also doing a full on racist Oirish accent. Her performance is so bad the programme stops dead in its tracks, climbs out of the screen and shits on your chest.

"Oi-ti-toi-ti-tay who put a bomb in me tater? Gowan now ti-tay."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

zoux posted:

lol this has never happened.

Like I've only ever seen one point five episodes of Dr. Who in my life yet I know all about Piper because the dr Who people never, ever shut up about how much they hate her at only the slightest stimulus.

And yet you're the only one who appears to be having a flid about her. How strange.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

zoux posted:

Haxually you were the one to start the Billie Piper bitching if you can bear to go back and read your posts (I cannot)

I made a comment on her acting in Penny Dreadful which was the subject at hand. You're the one who decided to start Zouxing out.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That spoiler is still the dumbest, most reductive misunderstanding of the resolution. A stick for lazy people to beat the programme with. A stick being held by the lovely end.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 28, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sober posted:

Some people care too much that the last scene in the flash sideways was it and everything else on the island in the 6 seasons before then didn't count.

Well yeah, because they plainly misunderstood what happened.

Lycus posted:

When I see that, I generally assume that they're just trolling Lost fans.

I'm inclined to think that they are just that stupid, to be honest.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
This series of Doctor Who is very very bad. There's a really weird dissonance between the old school stern tone of how the Doctor is being played and Moffat taking the programme towards the children's TV/soap opera ends of the spectrum.

Also the scripts have all been poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TheChad posted:

I like this season so far. I think people just need to get used to the new doc.

That's the problem, I like the new Doctor. I think the RTD-esque CBBC meets Eastenders drivel that I do not like. Everything wrong with this series can be summed up with the sentence "Clara is a time-stalker in love *uguuuu*, and the Doctor shot a spaceship with Robin Hood's golden arrow."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
"Hello, I am Stephen Moffat and I am going to respond to criticism of Clara's lack of personality (and persistent rumours of my own misogyny) by having her be defined soley by her new boyfriend. Who is a soldier, and soldiers are bad. Baby killers rarg. See how I am making an incredibly unsubtle and, frankly, crass analogy to the dichotomy of the Doctor's personality? Haha yes, I'm a loving genius.

Also, I absolutely love the spoon fight with Robin Hood, Mark. But I do think you need to make Clara swoon some more because, y'know, bitches be splooshing."

I apologise for not keeping it to the Doctor Who thread, but I don't post in there because it is wall to wall autists listing their favourite prop by size, colour, and which branch of Wicks the supplies were bought from. In reverse and turnwise order.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 29, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Irish Joe just plays stupid as part of a tired forums gimmick. Behind the façade he's actually just racist and creepy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sober posted:

Well better that in Castle than them trying to do a ~serious episode~ which is worse, because those are generally unwatchable for me.

They also almost always revolved around the hero characters doing something atrocious and morally unforgivable that is presented as a good, strong, choice. It's a crying shame that Castle slouched its way into being ethically poisonous poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's mostly a drip drip drip of Just World "only the guilty need a defence" stuff but sometimes they just straight up coerce confessions.

There's strong undercurrent of authoritarianism and disregard for civil rights running through Castle that is never portrayed as anything but reasonable and good. It's unpleasant when you notice it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

thrawn527 posted:

Keeping in mind this isn't actually a defense of Castle in that regard, but this is true of all crime procedurals, isn't it? Castle, NCIS, Elementary, Bones, etc. all seem to do this. Sure, they use "evidence and detective work", but most cases just end with a confession, given by someone who doesn't have a lawyer, and very often after the person asking the questions has lied or threatened the suspect somehow.

I've never seen Castle as being any worse about this than any other show. The amount of times Gibbs on NCIS has countered, "Do I need a lawyer?" with, "Do you think you need one?" or, "Why, have you done anything wrong?" is rather absurd.

Oh I agree, it's the same with most US crime shows. The difference, for me, is that I liked Castle initially whereas I don't watch NCIS etc for much the same reasons (also they're mostly trash on a basic level of quality).
I think it stands out so much to me because I grew up watching things like The Bill on UK television. The Bill was a twice weekly police proceedural where it wasn't even a matter of discussion, they'd cut to the interview room and you would see the officers starting the tape recorders and there's just another extra in the scene playing the part of the solicitor. Everyone had a solicitor, even if it was just the duty solicitor, and it was routine, no inferences drawn.
It didn't actually change much about the basic structure of the programme, but it also didn't create an extremely unhealthy prejudice in the back of the viewer's mind.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 30, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Apparently renowned world diplomat Jeremy Clarkson managed to offend yet another entire country by running around Argentina with cars that had license plates making references to the Falkland Wars, is literally run off the country by stoning.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29474422

Edit: local news adds that besides the one mentioned in the article, one of the other cars had a license plate that just happened to have the exact number of argentinean soldiers killed during the war.

Clarkson is a despicable oval office and he should have been fired when they caught him on studio cameras saying "friend of the family", but he brings in the money and is best friends with the Prime Minister, and we all know how far the BBC will go to protect friends of PMs.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zaggitz posted:

Well the first two aren't really comparable because they are basically goofy monster shows that for the most part pay homage to movies they probably loved as kids. Hannibal paints such a different picture of the world that you can't relate to it in the slightest.

Utopia is just loving dread, you feel bad watching it because gently caress you bad poo poo happens and there's nothing you can do and they are coming for you and anyone that looks where they shouldn't. Ain't nobody safe, especially not children.

Yeah, Hannibal is a dark programme, but Utopia evokes dread and menace that can honestly be described as nightmarish.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've loved Sean Bean as an actor since I was a watching him in Sharpe as a kid. It's a loving tragedy that his career got stuck in a rut of "character actor who dies" and has now come to the point where he is in such low-rent poo poo as Legends. I really thought that Game of Thrones was going to get him into better roles.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I watched the pilot episode of that and, frankly, if you think it's anything other than a bleeding haemorrhoid your opinion is objectively wrong.

It is just an execrable SyFy mega-extinct-chimera film but in series form and about zombies. If you like it you probably have brain damage.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

muscles like this? posted:

There's an AV Club article about Snuff Box which goes into how such a weird and beautiful(ly ugly) show got made. Basically BBC3 needed a show for a timeslot and didn't really care about what it was letting Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher do whatever the hell they wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZDjWLwqAPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91It0MbMcW8

Absolute genius.

Edit: this is how they ended one episode. NWS for language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpJe2ztE41s

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 22, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It was episode one of the Shadow Line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Wow, Agents of Shield did actually become watchable about fourteen episodes in. Such a shame that the first dozen were so bad they made people literally poo poo themselves to death.

• Locked thread