Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also the difference between sony and Microsoft is sony has a massive television production system that is able to crank out material of a quality so them getting into the original content game is exciting

In contrast Microsoft has...uh....Halo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CALLED IT MOTHERFUCKERS

Rarity posted:

No.

Cause then we'd be stuck with Occupation.

Hey, hey, hey...gently caress you buddy :smith:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PLEASE let this be a normal field trip...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yo I have to post about this because if I don't make a record of this, somewhere, I won't believe it actually happened

So I was in the gym shower after working out and a dude walked in with his loving chest hair shaved into the shape of a loving cross

Already a great story but not the best part

The best part was this dude connected his chest-cross to his pubic hair (which honestly seems a bit sacrilegious to me but w/e)

His pubic hair was completely unshaved

So essentially this dude made a giant loving arrow pointing straight to his cock and balls, and if there was ever a more succinct metaphor for the role of religion in society I have not seen it

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CaptainHollywood posted:

2. In all fairness to comparing "democracy in the 24 world", we may be looking at a Clinton/Bush 2018 Election.

Ummmm....

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Don't sleep with fat people either

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

gently caress this gay earth

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey I can finally post here again, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Also, The Leftovers fuckin rules, just fyi

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well, [as] is trying to move to primetime, so

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Book Barn/TVIV hybrid question: are there any good books about The X-Files out there? Not novelizations or whatever, but rather books about the show itself, the making of, how influential it was, maybe cool background info about the spoooooky stories?

Kumail nanjiani started a podcast reviewing the show from it's beginning, the x-files files

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh btw during my exile was I right when I read that there were some people in here throwing shade on the Fargo movie?

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JohnSherman posted:

What career field are you all in that leaves you with so little time that you have to min-max your TV watching? It sounds terrible.

It's p easy if you work any full time job to have little/no time for tv watching

Full Time job: 8 hours
Sleeping: 6-8 hours
Exercise:1-2 hours
Various chores: 1-2 hours
That leaves 4-8 hours for "free time" in a day, if you have an SO that time is probably halved, so you're lookin at 2-4 hours to do hobbies

Then if you like play video games or read or other hobbies that's cut even further

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The movie is a stone-cold classic but I can see how somebody who never saw it until after the show aired would be put off by the difference in tone and content if they were expecting it be exactly like the show.

I can envision a world where someone likes the Fargo tv series more despite the Fargo movie being one of the greatest movies ever made, but I cannot envision a world where someone likes/loves the tv series and hates the movie, which is what I was talking about

It literally makes no sense to me

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh dear god, you're right :stonk:

You mean the anchor was played by Anna Kendrick

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Leftovers continues to rule hardcore

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

VagueRant living up to his username here.

It's alright so far but nothing amazing. Seems to have ramped up the grim to compensate for the fact that the writing isn't HBO-level at all.

Actually it's incredible on every level

Also here's the complete Emmy noms list:

here

Some interesting notes:

They spelled it "Louis", which just makes me crack up

Modern Family cast quickly losing ground in the supporting noms in comedy, thank god

The Americans got shut out of any nominations

Best actor-drama looks like the embarrassing category this year, what with jeff Daniels and Kevin spacey both getting in, and true detective getting two noms over just 1

Rick and morty not getting nominated over some teenage mutant ninja turtles cartoon is a goddamn embarrassment

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

Hannibal getting shut out is goddamn ridiculous.

Nah, it's not an accessible show and is IMO not good, but even beyond that there's about a billion shows more deserving that didn't get in to the field

Either way if true detective spoils brba's sweep this year I will punch everything

Also I was slightly incorrect, Margo martingale got nommed for guest actress, which is still goddamn embarrassing

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

Well IMO you're a retard.

Well again, your show is bad and got shut out of Emmy noms so, oh well

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Because The Leftovers doesn't need ludicrously gross amounts of violence to tell a surreal story, it doesn't fall constantly onto that crutch

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bobkatt013 posted:

So a series about a cannibal serial killer and other extreme serial killers should not have "ludicrously gross amounts of violence"?

Yes

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

When your showrunner is on record as going "well we just tried to see how far we could push it before the FCC shut us down" it's not artistic intent, it's trying to see what you can get away with

Hth

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

The Leftovers is trying to tell a story?

Yeah, and it rules, last episode started with a compound raid, dunno where people are goin on about nothin happening

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

I dunno the last time Occ got out of hand he got hit with LMS, I say let's fire up Deadpool's creative side again.

Lol expressin contrary opinion = gettin out of hand

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

Occ has talked about Hannibal at length before and it basically boils down to him having really really strange problems with televised violence from what I recall and him admitting he just fundamentally couldn't get past this. It's lame he's kinda going back on that right now.

No I'm not, that's my entire argument for why the show is bad, it's just a well-shot criminal minds that uses its conceit as an excuse to ghoulishly focus on extremely lurid acts of violence which are shot-with the slow pans and close ups and all- in a way to force the audience to focus on it to the exclusion of everything else

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hcreight posted:

Occ would form a cult of Living Remnants that would smoke and watch Last Man Standing all day.

So you mean...the current state of tviv

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

Counter-point: no it doesn't.

well we appear to be at a standstill

edit: honestly trust me dude as someone who gives absolutely 0 shits about violence the character work in Hannibal is just fantastic and it's a great show

Dude I saw like the first 3/4 of season one before quitting in disgust, this isn't an uninformed opinion

Ed: also wouldn't someone who doesn't care about violence's opinion be less applicable than someone who did's? I mean I respect you dogg just sayin

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 10, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JohnSherman posted:

Allison Tolman is in the Supporting Actress category? Is that a joke? The entire series is the Molly Solverson power hour.

Actors submit for their categories, she figured she has a much better chance to win in supporting (which she does)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Actors submit for their categories, she figured she has a much better chance to win in supporting (which she does)

Actually apparently Julia Roberts submit for supporting so HAHA NOPE

That being said tolman probs had no loving idea how JR was gonna submit so it was still the "right" move

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

timp posted:

Where is Tim Allen? Is he doing anything? I feel like he could still be viable in hollywood, in TV at the very least, yet he's nowhere to be found. He was doing a lot of voiceover work for a while and I was like, good for you, that's cool, but he should be in front of the camera more often I say

Agree

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

timp posted:

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I changed my mind about Tim Allen. I don't want to see him in front of cameras anymore. I'd rather see him die, tbh

Agree

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

2008 TVIV TIME

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You know AMC? They're those guys who run that show Mad Men

They're doing some show called breaking bad, it's about a high school chemistry teacher who cooks meth or something?

Personally i don't get why they'd make a show when it's already so much like weeds

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who here is looking forward to season 2 of Friday night lights? I know I am!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God, guys, dexter loving RULES

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

30 Rock is the best sitcom since Arrested Development!

Man arrested development...that shows never coming back, huh?

Do you think they'll at least put out the series on hd-DVD?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

But what about Aatrek? I mean, is he gonna continue to mod the BSG thread?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yo we're in irc gonna watch the last episode of LMS season 3 to celebrate my completin the toxx join if u want here

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I hope everyone in this thread dies. i hope you all die, and are dead. to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I didn't realize one is the same number as two, thanks for that regy rusty

• Locked thread