Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
lol at the idea that Marvel films have good writing. They have "adequate" writing. At best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

:vince:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

bentacos posted:

The Sisko.

This is indisputably the correct answer.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Rosa is definitely the best character on B99. :allears:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Apparently CBS has some really good shows??? Because I'm almost caught up with The Good Wife and it's amazing.

The Good Wife is a great show. Like, to the point that it's really strange that it's on CBS.
Kalinda is the loving coolest. :allears:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Okay let's narrow this down to "Shows people would theoretically like"

Blue Bloods is a show that continues to exist, but what's the deal with it? It has Tom Selleck evidently?

Also, I've heard The Fosters is pretty good for a soapy ABC Family Show.
Also, Switched at Birth. I don't think either of those have strong SA followings because they're shows geared towards women.

Also, Devious Maids. This is a show that exists as well.

Other random series nobody here cares about (I'm guessing, don't care enough to check):
Major Crimes
Rizzoli & Isles
Franklin & Bash (ended this year)
Dallas (ended this year)
Satisfaction
Sirens
Playing House
Melissa & Joey
Hot in Cleveland
The Exes
The Soul Man

I would love to hear reports on the quality of all of these series.
:getin:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

ShakeZula posted:

Seconding this.

Also, Haven.

Wow, how did I forget Haven? My dad keeps telling me to watch it, so I watched the first few episodes, guessed what the twists would be, and I was right. MEH. :smug:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I wasn't really feeling Constantine so I might skip catching up on it since I'm in the middle of trying to catch up on a ton of shows. I just caught up with The 100, got Once Upon A Time taken care of a week ago, and after Arrow a couple of weeks ago I need to binge Flash for that crossover next week.

I wasn't really feeling Constantine and even though I've enjoyed all these shows I'm really feeling an itch to watch a show that isn't about magic, superheroes, or spaceships. So maybe I'll just abandon it and wait to see if it gets renewed next season and catch up Netflix like I did with all of these shows.

Seriously, I need to watch a cop show or something. I'm feeling really nerdy right now. It doesn't help that my queue is basically Fringe, Agents of Shield, Vampire Diaries, and Grimm. I swear there was a time I watched normal shows.

I've been working my way through The Good Wife (up to beginning of season 4), and I highly recommend it. It's a solid show that does a perfect balance between procedural and serialization. It avoids the worst excesses of both network and cable prestige TV, and it's got fantastic acting and both lovable and hateable characters (Michael J. Fox and Martha Plimpton in particular play slimy bastard lawyers wonderfully).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

The daughters on Transparent are actually not that bad compared to the son, who is a borderline sociopath. like, holy poo poo, everything is wrong with him, what the gently caress. The older daughter has problems, but the way she almost immediately supports her father's transition humanizes her. also her husband is such a tremendous pisshead that it's kinda hard to blame her for leaving him.
and I suspect all the weird poo poo Gaby Hoffman's character does doesn't bother me so much mostly because Gaby Hoffman is cute.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Well, Netflix is trying to produce all kinds of new content, so they do a prestige drama here, an anime there, a zeitgeist capturing dramedy there, a weird animated show there, a show for people that like Game of Thrones and historical epic fiction. Netflix has the ambition to go after ever conceivable demographic.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

The last couple days I binge watched the first two seasons of The Legend of Korra. Could someone tell me briefly why it ended up getting so much hate here? Was it impossible to fulfill expectations? The level of vitriol here made it sound so bad that I held off a long time on watching it, but the actual show is rather good, albeit never reaching the heights of Avatar: The Last Airbender. What's the deal?
I know there's a huge thread for it, but that thread has a really, really, really bad reputation.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Is talk about why this thread is a Korra free zone also banned? Because I'd be interested to know the story behind that.
although I suspect it boils down to people being tremendously lovely, as with the Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, and Community threads among others.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Continuum is OK. I will eventually continue watching the second season sometime. But I hate how the show tries to make me root against the terrorists, who are absolutely right.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

hcreight posted:

I was rooting for Aisha Tyler to get the job since she already works for CBS and has proven herself a capable interviewer on her podcast. Corden was just a baffling choice because he's yet another white dude, no one seems to particularly like him, and the only Americans who will recognize him are the ones who have seen The Wrong Mans or those couple of Doctor Who episodes he's in.

Well, Broadway fans will recognize him because he won a Tony Award in 2012. He had a supporting role in Begin Again, a moderately successful indie movie that came out this last summer, and he's one of the stars of Into the Woods, which comes out in wide release in under a week.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Gillian Anderson is already in another serial killer show that's better than The Fall

I am so pumped for Season 3, and even though I love the show, my anticipation is, like, 90% for Gillian Anderson as a series regular. :allears:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It used to be that making a character bisexual was a cheap and easy way to mark them as evil or crazy. Now making a character bisexual is a cheap and easy way to make them seem deep and complicated.

Or a cool way to end a series that goons hate irrationally. :haw:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Amazon Prime is worth it for Alpha House, Transparent, and The Good Wife. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

It says Ravane is probated for six hours. Why is it not six months? He toxxed himself, dammit. I thought toxxing MEANT SOMETHING. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Aw, drat, I couldn't find a thread for Alpha House. are Amazon streaming shows so unpopular that nobody here cares? Season 2 of Alpha House is wickedly funny, especially when they introduce Janel Moloney as a crazy Tea Party senator. Episode four, where her character causes the Capitol to get locked down, is a masterpiece of comic absurdity.
also the last episode has cameos from Elizabeth Warren and Rachel Maddow.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

holy poo poo.
season 5, episode 15 of The Good Wife.

hoooooooollllllyyyyyy shiiiiiiiiit.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Oh God, the third episode is even better.

Episode four is even better. the only downside of it is that it is the very, very best episode so everything after it's a little diminished by not being quite as good as that.

John Goodman will not be Emmy nominated, and neither will Janel Moloney, and THAT will suuuuuuuuck.

• Locked thread