Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I'm not sure how many other people in this thread care about/follow TV criticism to the unhealthy extent that I do, but Todd Vanderwerff is leaving The AV Club to go to Vox. Which is pretty insane, especially considering how many of their best writers left to form The Dissolve last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Re: Amazon pilots, The Cosmopolitans is very good, especially if you like Whit Stillman. Seems to be the only one getting a particularly positive press reaction so far too.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I don't think anyone posted this here yet, but the whole first season of Transparent went up on Amazon yesterday. Every TV critic on the internet seems to be in a fight over who can praise it the hardest, but it really is very good. Lots to like, but Jeffrey Tambor's performance in particular is totally brilliant.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

zoux posted:

Anybody here watch Transparent?

Watched all 10 episodes over the weekend, really can't recommend it enough to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. One of the best shows I've watched in a long time, reminded me quite a bit of Enlightened, but a fair bit more enjoyable. It's quite different to how you might expect in that it has a big hooky premise the turns out to make make up only a smallish amount of the plot in each episode.

Annoyed that all the writing out there about it at the moment is only about the first 4 episodes because they were all that were sent to critics, there's a ton of very discussion-worthy stuff in the latter half of the season.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
You're The Worst just got a Season 2 :yotj:

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Since the thread for it died a while ago, thought that for the benefit of anyone who used to post in it I'd drop in here that The Chris Gethard Show stealthily returned after a potentially permanent hiatus and is on excellent form. It's had a soft reboot so this is a decent jumping-on point. Good primer for the uninitiated.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Hey, the first episode of The Affair was pretty drat good.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Deadpool posted:

I think season three of Damages was probably my favorite season. Joe Tobin's arc and spiral out of control was great tragic TV.

Agreed on this - Campbell Scott is an excellent and annoyingly underused actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Hope that everyone who enjoys watching and/or reading about awful television is suitably excited for The Newsroom tonight:
https://twitter.com/tvoti/status/541447311239286784
https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/541741429924433920

• Locked thread